New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard's Rumspringa [IC]

As Therai talked with the goblin, Peren set about making sure Tryslin was cared for. He was breathing, and made a few sounds, but otherwise seemed out of it. Peren took his time, making sure that the Elf hadn't taken any water into his lungs, and was otherwise OK. He set about laying both of their supplies out, making sure the torches and items that needed to be dry were indeed dry or would have the chance to do so.

In his quiet diligence he took the time to mend his own cuts, and only then looked to Therai and Roscoe; if they had anything worth tending to, he'd do so now.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Take 20 on Medicine with Tryslin; if poisoned or diseased, will prioritize that over healing himself.

Heal HP with Lay On hands (or -5 if cured any psn/disease on Tryslin), then spend on others if any needed.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

"No, no, not disappointed at all. I thought it was something in the lake coming to eat me, so this is a blessing." The goblin tucks the wand away in a pocket and retreats back to the fire and his huge pack hunched on the ground; there's a large riding lizard snoring by the fire too. "I use these roads to move around this large, large world. But they're dangerous, dangerous things. You fell through from the surface, I suppose?"

He squints at Tryslin. "Is your friend all right? I am Icosa. I am a merchant, trading in things of magic and wonder. I have some potions."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Pleased to meet you Icosa.

Therai looks over to Peren. Do you think he's going to be ok?"

He then turns back to the goblin. "Even if Tryslin is all right, which I hope he will be, it would be good to take a look at your stock. We don't have a huge amount of money, but we do have a little. In the meantime, yes, we did fall through from the surface. Can you tell us anything about this place?"

Therai moves over towards the fire as he speaks, stretching his hands out to enjoy the warmth. He takes off his chain shirt and lays it down on the floor as he attempts to start drying himself, before checking his blade isn't about to go rusty.

Finally, he pulls out a slightly shonky looking wand and stares at it, frowning, before tucking it away again.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Therai is 10hp down, so if there is anything left over that would be much appreciated!

4. - Top - End - #214

DruidGirl

"Oh! Don't know where you are? Hm, hm." The goblin fishes out spectacles and perches them on his nose -- common enough in the City of Lights, but rare in the world below.

"These are the paths of the Underdark. Not many come here but goblins and dwarfs, these days. And precious few dwarves! We are not... quite... here or there. We are between, and can scurry quickly from place to place. But it's dangerous!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't jump to any conclusions! This is the Underdark... but it's a very particular version of it.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2020-04-23 at 03:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe washed up ashore along with the others. The helped Peren drag Tryslin to higher ground and let his teammate take care of Tryslin while he fell on his hands and knees.

He was only vaguely aware of Icosa and let Therai do the talking. Roscoe needed a minute, he wasn't hurt or anything. But he needed some time to reaffirm his situation. To accept it.

He got up eventually, slowly coming to the realisation that doing nothing, or moping, wouldn't help them forward. The heroes from his fiction, the bold adventurers, they had to deal with setbacks and hardship but they rose above it. So would he.

He joined Therai, looking over his shoulder seeing that Tryslin was safe with Peren. He looked back at the goblin.
    'So what are the here, and there, that were i between of?' He asked curiously. And quickly added hopefully. 'And do you have anything that can make us fly back up there?'
    Last edited by LuckyStrike; 2020-04-23 at 05:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Peren had nodded to the questions; he was focused. Finally, he said He must've hit the water just right to be a little stunned. The drop like that, and the first person to break the water, it makes sense.

When they mention stock, Peren starts and fishes out a cloth, lays it on the ground, and pours out the gem-bag (looted from the Giant) onto the cloth, including the Tyr amulet. What we could really use is a worked gemstone, he says as he picks through the assorted and unworked gems. Hmm...this one is a decently-sized sapphire, too. Do you know anyone that can work these into gems?

more

7. - Top - End - #217

DruidGirl

"No, nothing to make you fly... my supplies are low right now, very low. I was returning to Sheerfast to stock up." He finds a sort of jeweler's loup in one pocket and attaches it to his spectacles, inspecting the sapphire. "Hm--yes--many in Sheerfast who could work with this."

"We are... between everywhere and everywhere else, I suppose," he adds. "The paths wind and come up where they will. Far things are close together and close things are far apart. This is not entirely the same world you fell out of."

8. - Top - End - #218

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe looked confused, deflated and still more than a little bit wet.

"But.. Surely we can fall back into the world we came from?"

He followed Therai's example and started drying himself by the fire. He looked back at Peren. "How's Tryslin? If we rest and I meditate I think I can work a healing spell."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai looks back over his shoulder from the fire.

"Could you give us directions to this Sheerfast, if there are people there who can work with it? And if you could tell us a little about the dangers, that would be much appreciated sir."

He pulls some dried meat from his backpack and starts munching.

"Sorry, I'm hungry after all the excitement!" he says apologetically.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Peren was mostly preoccupied in making sure his and Tryslin's gear were all drying.
    "How's Tryslin? If we rest and I meditate I think I can work a healing spell."
    It seemed Roscoe, too, had been so shocked by his fall--and had clogged ears--such that he hadn't heard Peren the first time. But he didn't mind repeating himself. Tryslin is going to be OK. I think the fall knocked the wind out of him, nothing more. But a long rest does sound good.

Icosa, we have limited supplies but why don't we all break bread together? Sheerfast sounds like a good stop on our way to return directly above us, and we can resupply there. There's an important but unfortunately private mission we have, and time is of the essence. We'll have to make haste once we get some decent shut-eye.

...I'm very thankful you're here. Whatever the reason is, I take it as a blessing.

more

11. - Top - End - #221

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Alright good, I'll make sure to prepare some healing anyway, just in case." Roscoe replied, blissfully ignorant of the fact that Peren was repeating himself.

He felt tired, and hoped beyond hopes that Icosa would agree to Peren's suggestion.

He studied the goblins face, and eyed the lizard sleeping dangerously nearby.. suddenly wondering if they'd be safe with this stranger, or end up as a serving for the merchants pet.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

Insight check to gauge Icosa:

(1d20+3)[17]

12. - Top - End - #222

DruidGirl

"Well," Icosa says, "I am going to Sheerfast, so you could accompany me if you wish. More people are safer, down here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Icosa seems to be what he claims to be -- a humble merchant who is very surprised to have four people from the surface world suddenly dropped in his lap. It's clear that he is friendly by nature, but also that he is intimidated by your force and extra motivated to be helpful voluntarily before you demand it from him.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Peren nodded, showing his understanding. If the way is unsafe now, it's better that we all travel together.

Tryslin was recovering, but quiet, and helped the half-elf pack their supplies. But Peren couldn't help thoughts about one of many terrors of the Underdark: Magical flying eye-stalks with great spell powers and unmitigated feelings for vengeance. One of his older peers, Illiven, had hypothesized the Eye beasts (what was their name?) were plucked from the faces Titans, and buried deep within the Earth. These Eyes, even separated from their hosts, blamed most everyone for their fate, and so powerful was their will that from the mangled nerves remaining, they formed fleshy wands of powerful magics.

Even if half of what what Illiven had proposed was true, they could face some life-ending aberrations. But Peren had more important musings.

Roscoe, Tryslin, Therai, what was it that took out our...construct companion? Did anyone see it? The great creature that had perhaps even destroyed NANNY. He had heard it. Massive wingbeats that sounded as if they burnt the very air around it. A beating of perhaps even sentient fire in it's heart. He had smelt it: brimstone and flaming pitch and tallow, a massive walking bonfire.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2020-04-28 at 05:09 PM.

more

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"Briefly," says Therai. "It was... huge." He fades out, thinking about the image of Nanny grappling with the demon before shuddering briefly.

After a moment he continues, trying to appear upbeat. "Anyway, traveling to Sheerfast sounds pretty sensible to me, especially if we get to enjoy the company of such an amicable companion."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Peren's intuitions were correct: It was bigger and more terrible than Therai was prepared to talk of, but its nature left him incapable of speech. Could it be? Was it one of those demons like Wendonai, or perhaps a message?

As they settled down and laid out their mats for a little rest, Peren did his best to settle his mind and his body. He did feel a little stronger, and couldn't help but feel a measure triumphant in their survival despite the non-completion of a goal. One step back, but perhaps two steps forward.

He was tired, and as Roscoe explained what he saw, he found his eyes closing for a little nap...

more

16. - Top - End - #226

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe nodded at Icosa's proposition. "I guess we'll tag along, sure."

He glanced again at the lizard. "She doesn't bite, does she?" He checked as he followed Peren's example and made himself comfortable by the fire.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai, his meal finished, also finds himself starting to drowse.

He hauls himself back awake with a start. "Hang on, if this place is dangerous, one of us should probably stay awake and on guard."
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-04-30 at 02:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228

DruidGirl

"She only bites the troublesome," Icosa reassures(?) them.

"For watching, I have a wand I use. But if you would rather, I will not argue."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Peren muttered under his breath to Therai, I swear, Therai, if you don't take a nap, then you'll be sad when we l... he doesn't finish his sentence as his eyes close and he falls into a short, if not a thoroughly invigorating, rest.

more

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Therai looks at the little goblin gratefully. "That would be great, thank you" before curling up and falling fast asleep.

21. - Top - End - #231

DruidGirl

The goblin took out a wand with a shimmering silver tip, and drew a circle around the campsite, leaving behind a sizzling silver thread as he did. When he returned to the point where he began, the whole thread leapt up in silver flames as the Alarm spell activated. Then he returned to his own pile of blankets near the lizard and huddled into them.

By the time "morning" comes, it's just as dark and cold; moreso, since the fire has burnt down to embers. But Icosa stirs from his cocoon and checks the time on something like a pocketwatch but more intricate; wheels and balls twirl and calibrate, and then the device begins to shine with something like daylight. "Hm. Yes, morning in the Overgreen. Time to be moving." The light does not go out when he clicks it shut.

"I don't always use this device, but you are the kind who need the sun, aren't you?"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Peren woke with a start. He shook his head, and finding some unsightly drool from his repose, he went to the water to scrub and wash his face. The Goblin said they'd slept for a while, but his muscles protested and told him he should sleep longer. The half-elf stretched, feeling...less nimble but hale, and found the weight of his armor, sword and pack just a bit more tolerable.

He wandered over to Tryslin next, making sure that the elf was OK. Peren glanced between the water and the elf as they helped each other don armor. He leaned in after he'd shaken his body while donning his chain and whispers, Woahh! Are my shoulders broader? Do my muscles look bigger? It's the first time in thirty years for me. Growth spurt!! Have you ever had that feeling when... He tried to be silly and humorous, giving the elf reasons to find a little more pep in their preparations. When they're finished, he munched on some jerkey as he walked to the far side of the water, where he saw a fresh eddy and slowly-swirling water, took a long drink from and then re-filled his waterskin.

Peren strode to the goblin and proclaimed, "I feel like a new young man! That's the best sleep I've had in a decade, even if my back disagrees! If you'll give us a little time for morning prayer, I'll be ready to go.

He walked away on the assumption he'd get an affirmative, and started his morning recitations. He started with hope and vim. But that's when he felt it. The Eternal Furnace, the Breath that wilted Joy, the Clangor of Mortal Wreckage. Wendonai wavered between contact with his mind and simple, surface-thought-scraping attention.

Sweat formed on Peren's head and threaded between his hands. His knees buckled, and he dropped to them without meaning to. He stammered once as the ringing in his mind started; he flexed his toes to relieve stress and started again and spoke just a bit louder to push back the rush of stone in his ears. When he finished his prayers, he paused and started again. But the half-elf knew it was a futile gesture.

YOU CANNOT PUT ME OFF FOREVER. SOON, YOU WILL DO AS I SAY. ITS TOO BAD YOU COULDNT TAKE THAT MAGMIN, PEREN. SO MUCH COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.
    He waited for the voice to pass from his mind.
    YOU WILL FIND ONE FOR HARKAX'S JUDGEMENT OR MY DISPLEASURE WILL BE FELT AND KNOWN BY YOU.

DO THIS, AND AS I HAVE ALREADY IMPLIED, YOU SHALL LEARN MORE AND GROW IN POWER.

Peren hadn't meant for his teeth to chatter or his hands to shake or his legs to give imperceptible spasms. As the voice left him, the half-elf breathed until he felt space open again in his mind. Like it was his domain, and only his. If only it could be that simple. He stood up, stretched, and did some simple push-ups and dips, squats and jumps, until the only sweat on his body was from his own determined exercise.

I will be strong enough for this. My body and my soul must be prepared for what must be done. The elf returned to the rest, quiet and did his best to project a feeling of calm and serenity. I have to be strong enough for my true calling.

more

23. - Top - End - #233

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe had dreamed of wild things. Fire and arrows, giants and drowning.

You wouldn't see it looking at him sleeping though. The slightest twitch on his face the only indication of the maelstrom of thoughts and emotions being processed. The young Aasimar didn't snore, nor drool. Even his breathing was calm.

He slowly opened his eyes and let reality take over. It was a soothing experience. Finding he was still alive, amongst friends.

He noticed that his eyes had adjusted to the dark incredibly well, and appreciated the beauty of his surroundings a lot more than yesterday.

He suddenly wasn't so sure that he needed the sun, but didn't say anything. Roscoe was trying to come to terms with his situation and found he was doing quite well. This place had a serenity to it he hadn't seen the day before and he welcomed the unknown aspect of it instead of resisting it.

It was a mindset he hoped he could maintain.

He undressed and waded into the cold water up to his knees where he washed and tried to embrace the environment. There he took a deep breath and asked the gods of water and stone for the power to call on the forces of nature this day, to heal his allies and restrain and defeat his enemies.

He dipped his head and ruffled his hair and feathers in an effort to clean it as good as possible.

Whatever light there was that got caught on the reflection of the water and hair glinted and glittered heavily in a beautiful natural display.

After getting dressed in dirtied (but still mostly white) clothes, he made some breakfast and shared it freely around.

"Where do you get your food from down here?" He asked the goblin as he offered him a piece of bread.

It was the first of many questions about survival down here, in this majestic dark environment. Roscoe was curious, and anything the goblin had to say he would register with great interest and later have a follow-up question or two about.
    Last edited by LuckyStrike; 2020-05-02 at 03:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234

DruidGirl

"Ah, a good question, very good." Icosa said, as he rummaged in what must be a bag of holding. He threw down a slab of meat for the lizard and drew out some trail rations for himself.

"Once we farmed down here by the virtue of the earth itself... this place is potent in the magics of that plane. When it was loved and cultivated, it grew things without the sun. But without our love it has grown wild. Safer to bring food from above when travelling. But in Sheerfast there are great terrace gardens where the sun touches."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Upon waking Therai stretches and begins running through some simple exercises to limber up, before pulling on his chain shirt and settling down to some breakfast.

"So why did people stop loving it?" he asked Icosa. "Is it something to do with the formation of the new plane?"

He looks around, getting used to the cool darkness. He realises that he misses the sun, and has taken it's presence for granted for his whole life. Like many other things really - everything in the City of Lights, for instance. He sits there, looking pensive as he chews.

26. - Top - End - #236

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    This seems like a good time for a History check.

27. - Top - End - #237

DruidGirl

"No," he said. "They died. Our people died, and the fields ran wild. And before that, the ones-we-became did not care to farm; they served their masters, and their masters ate meat. Very sad story. Once this place was full with the whisper of busy goblin feet, and shone with the craft of busy goblin hands."

"Now there is only Sheerfast, and the wildfolk in the dark." He shakes his head.

Jaryn, you remember hearing vaguely about the great plague that wiped out a large fraction of the goblin population a few hundred years ago. The earthbound humans still fear contagion from goblins in some places, but the City of Lights knows better than that. But most of the details escape your memory.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

"I'm sorry Icosa" says Therai. "I didn't mean to drag up old memories like that."

He sits quietly for a moment and then turns to his friends. "Everyone ready for a trip to Sheerfast then?"

29. - Top - End - #239

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roscoe, feeling recharged and ready to meet the day hoisted his backpack on his shoulders and stood up.

"Sure am!" He said energetic. "What are we to look out for, on the way there?" He asked as he looked for the goblin to lead the way.

30. - Top - End - #240

DruidGirl

"It was long ago," Icosa says, shrugging.

He leads the way along the shore of the vast underground lake. "This is a branching chamber. From here we can make our way to Sheerfast by one of two ways."

"I was going to pass through the necropolis... an abandoned city of our people. Travelling alone and careful it is usually safest. With more people, we may draw the attention of the dead or wildfolk, but it is shorter."

"The other path stays along the lake for further... things live there. You were fortunate. But they may fear a larger group! Difficult choices, and I would not put you at risk. What do you say?"