New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Ultimate OOTS Book Tournament 2: Match 16

Greetings to all people of the Playground, and welcome to
    The Ultimate Order of the Stick Book Tournament II!

Back in 2014, I ran a series of polls to determine the forum's favorite OOTS book. Start of Darkness won that tournament, defeating Blood Runs in the Family by one vote. Since that time, the number of available books has increased, and the readership has had more time to reflect on earlier stories in light of more recent events. Hence, I felt it was time for another tournament. Without further ado, I present

The Contestants

Start of Darkness
    War and XP
    Don't Split the Party
    Blood Runs in the Family
    Utterly Dwarfed

Dungeon Crawling Fools
    On the Origins of the PCs
    No Cure for the Paladin Blues
    Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails
    Haleo & Julelan + Uncivil Servant
    Good Deeds Gone Unpunished

I have grouped together the two stories which are currently digital-only. The 11 contestants will compete in a double elimination tournament, with your votes deciding who wins each match. The winner of the entire tournament will be crowned Grand Champion of the Stick!

Due to the fact that there are more than 8 but fewer than 16 contestants, five books will get a free pass on the first round. The contestants were seeded randomly. You can see the entire tournament bracket on Challonge.

Vote once in each match by posting your vote in this thread. Voting for this match will close Saturday, March 28, at which time I will post the next match. I will vote only in the case where a tie-breaking vote is needed. Please put your votes in bold, since it makes it easier for me when tallying them.

Now that half of the matches for this tournament are complete, we will be doing only one match at a time for the remainder of the tournament.

The Current Match

Match 16: War and XP vs Utterly Dwarfed

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ultimate OOTS Book Tournament 2: Match 16

Yeah, its Utterly Dwarfed, because of course it is, (to be fair I thought that last time and somehow DStP won).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I will vote for Utterly Dwarfed.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Voting for WaXP, there were things I liked about UD but overall I found a lot of the plotting overly circuitous, and WaXP was basically the book that established OOTS as an epic saga.
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2020-03-21 at 05:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Utterly Dwarfed

The improved art style tips the scales here; very, very close.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-03-21 at 06:32 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

WaXP it feels very epic in scale, the plot is very well paced, and it really ties together a bunch of different characters’ stories very well. I really like how it switches back and forth between the order and team evil, and they both have a lot of cool material. I like utterly dwarfed but I didn’t find Durkon’s memories as interesting in comparison. Generally speaking having team evil as the villains is much more interesting because their role in the story is larger than that of the single arc villains and they have their own ups and downs. I also just personally didn’t enjoy the airship arc. I know that’s personal taste and a lot of readers probably really loved the airship arc, but we all have different preferences and it’s one of my least favorites. Obviously in a story like this everyone will have different preferences based on what they like, that’s what makes it cool. Anyways the battle for Azure City is a really excellent sequence for so many characters it’s a highlight of the series overall and makes WaXP difficult to compete with.

7. - Top - End - #7

GreataxeFighterGirl

IMHO probably Blood Runs In The Family. All of the OOTS had a moment to shine, Team Evil's evilness (specifically one member) stepped up by an enormous notch, the Linear Guild actually effective for once, art was fairly impressive--and the final battle sequence was great. Oddly enough, I really wasn't a fan of Tarquin, but the unceremonious way he got lopped off just made the whole arc better. The appearance of some of the Vector Legion was a nice touch too.

And it showed the Snarl!

(I can't wait to see how this last arc's going to wrap up, with facing down Team Evil in this new art style...*rubs hands*)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    IMHO probably Blood Runs In The Family. All of the OOTS had a moment to shine, Team Evil's evilness (specifically one member) stepped up by an enormous notch, the Linear Guild actually effective for once, art was fairly impressive--and the final battle sequence was great. Oddly enough, I really wasn't a fan of Tarquin, but the unceremonious way he got lopped off just made the whole arc better. The appearance of some of the Vector Legion was a nice touch too.

And it showed the Snarl!

(I can't wait to see how this last arc's going to wrap up, with facing down Team Evil in this new art style...*rubs hands*)
    ...um, BRitF isn't in this vote, its War and XPs and Utterly Dwarfed.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

9. - Top - End - #9

GreataxeFighterGirl

Whoops! I did not scroll down on the post enough.

War and XP, then. I loved how intense it was (although Utterly Dwarfed was pretty amazing too).

Apologies.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

Voting for Utterly Dwarfed.

11. - Top - End - #11

War and XPs

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Voting for Utterly Dwarfed, probably because I started reading while it was going.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

War and XPs

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

And voting is now closed! The results:
    Match 16: War and XP vs Utterly Dwarfed (5-5)

We have our first tie of this tournament! I will break the tie in favor of Utterly Dwarfed.

The next match is up in a new thread.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2020-03-28 at 12:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I would have voted for Utterly Dwarfed too, but forgot about the poll until it was too late. ._.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Actually finishing a seven-book series of fantasy novels is a better dig at ASOIAF than any in-strip parody could be.

16. - Top - End - #16

I also would have voted for Utterly Dwarfed, but I guess I forgot about the date.