Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Curse of Strahd [5e]

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    @pr0l0t0r: You forgot your adds to your Charisma based skills.

A dagger can be used with finesse so it could be +4 to hit and 1d4+2 damage

You also seem to be about 30 gp long. I see the pouch granted by your background but I'm not sure where the rest is coming from.

The library feature is going to be... interesting. There are a few small, private libraries in Barovia, one being in Death House, and the others being no less perilous to access. Also, what is Cheldenham?

Anyways, we could consider a different, more applicable feature, something along the lines of a Lesser Contact Other Plane usable for 1 question (single sentence answer rather than one word) per five levels once a week?

And finally, your character seems to have about a half dozen names Is that intentional?
    Let's see if I can fix some of this. Full disclosure it was pretty late and I had been drinking some quaran-wine. :P

1. Fixed CHA stuff, thanks

2. Good catch on dagger. Fixed.

3. Wizard gets:

a) Dagger
    b) Arcane Focus
    c) Scholar's Pack
    d) Grimoire / Spellbook

Scholar Background gets:

a) Robes
    b) Writing Kit
    c) Borrowed Book
    d) 10 GP (converted to Leather Armor)

I don't think I've added anything beyond this? My bad if I did, see quaran-wine.

4. Repurposed this character from a previous failed application, but it was so long ago I don't remember what Cheldenham was in reference to! Fixed. :P

5. Totally love the Contact Other Plane rather than library access. Fits the character WAY better. Sold.

6. He has two names, Zakariah and Vigil. Use them interchangeably. Think a couple of previous references snuck in there. Again, see: quaran-wine and point 4. ;)

Should all be fixed now.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll leave review for a more finished product, but wood elf monk is A OK. Are you thinking of a formal monastery and order, or more of a solitary hermit feel?
    I'm thinking originally part of an ascetic order, pushed into self-isolation when the monastery was destroyed. I've got some ideas for a background brewing.

Barovia seems like a great place to have the Hermit's
    Discovery background feature, do you want to discuss that over PMs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Charlotte Valois, human rogue, going for Scout at 3rd.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

Short version: Raised by bounty hunter parents, married and settled down very early, had a kid, left her husband+kid to hunt down the people who got her parents enslaved, heading to the house on a tipoff it's got important info for her.

Longer:
    Charlotte was born into the bounty hunter's life. Her early years were marked by constant movement from place to place as her parents hunted down criminals, learning bit by bit (when she wasn't left to 'mind the fort' in whatever tavern they'd holed up in). She didn't begrudge this, or the lack of what you'd call a normal childhood. It was just all she'd ever known, and frankly the constant new sights/sounds were exciting, if sometimes tiring. When she was 15, her parents made the decision to send her to live with her grandparents and learn from them. The rural village she arrived in was barely worth its spot on the map, maybe 100 people in total. Over the coming years she mastered her grandparent's techniques and also fell in love with the son of the village alderman.

It wasn't long for their teenage trysts to result in a pregnancy, and not long after a swift marriage ceremony on her 18th birthday she gave birth to her daughter. For a while it looked like she was going to hang up her weapons and end the "family trade". Her parents weren't thrilled, but they understood and gave their blessings. All seemed fine for a number of years, until word was sent that her parents had been arrested for sedition and plotting assassination against some of the ruling noble houses in a nearby country. Her parents were famously talented though, and the nobles used their influence to change the sentence from death to becoming essentially slaves to the nobles they "plotted" against. Knowing her parents wouldn't do such a thing, at least not without good reason, Charlotte resolved to discover the truth surrounding the matter - tracking down leads and hurting people who knew things. So she left the village, her husband, and her 3 year old daughter. It broke her heart, but she couldn't abandon her parents to her fate. Her husband didn't take it well, swearing that they were no longer together after she abandoned her new family.

That was four years ago. She still sends back money every month to support them, though, which she gets from picking up bounty hunter jobs along the way. The latest tip off has lead her to Vudkholl, specifically an abandoned house which she's told will have evidence or information regarding the people who framed her parents.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

What deities should we use?

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2158279

mostly done
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: Curse of Strahd [5e]

Dame Olivia Torus, Acolyte of War.

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show

25 point buy.

Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 10
    Constitution: 13
    Intelligence: 10
    Wisdom: 8
    Charisma: 15

+1 Strength level.
    +1 Charisma level.
    Variant Human feat: Heavy Armour Optimisation.

Looks:

Spoiler: Looks
    Show

Personality:

Spoiler: Personality
    Show

Spoiler: Traits, Ideal, Bond, Flaw
    Show

Personality Trait, 1: I am intolerant of other faiths and condemn the worship of other gods.
    Personality Trait, 2: The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
    Ideal: Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
    Bond: Everything I do is for the common people.
    Flaw: I am inflexible in my thinking.

Aiming for the greatest well-being for the greatest number of people, Olivia is already certain of her life's goal. She attempts this through the utmost faith in Heironeous above all else, embodying knightly honour because his teachings insist on it. Much, if not all, of her morals are merely an offshoot of her genuine piety, but this has come at an obvious price. Many bitter and brutal recollections and encounters with Hextor worshippers planted the first seeds of religious intolerance in her. In itself, this is typical of many Heironeous worshippers. But in Olivia it grew into a much more generalised condemnation for all other religions, and this is largely due to her frustration with seeing them as too foolish to unite and focus on destroying the greatest evil in existence (Hextor).

History:

Spoiler: History
    Show
    Olivia originally was the fifth child of a newly established noble family, of which she belonged to the second generation. What Lord and Lady Torus lacked in land, they made up for with clout. They focused most of their time and love on the future heir and eldest sister, offering Olivia only enough training in sweet words and pleasantries that she wouldn't embarrass her family. Beyond that, she was granted a free time her older siblings little imagined, and she spent half the time listening to songs embellishing courtly romances. It eventually inspired her to start befriending squires. After all, any of them might become the knight she would fall in love with and marry.

A tasteful interest in armour and weaponry was developed – exclusively to have common conversational ground. Especially as a squire by the name of Brandon and her were developing a friendship that had never been entirely innocent. Knowing he was becoming an excellent jouster, and having a romantic if unrealistic image in her head of their affection being heralded and sang of, Olivia convinced her family to throw a local tournament with her hand as the prize. Her parents agreed only because a noble son of another family had shown interest in her as well.

Between a potential noble suitor and what she thought was her true love, Olivia was shocked and confused when instead a mystery black knight stole the tourney from both of them. It was worse when he revealed himself a zealot for a warmongering god, Heironeous. Her wailing and protests were neither ladylike nor private, but Ser Robyn weathered it patiently, letting her tantrum run until she noticed he hadn't argued or objected. Instead, the knight smiled and offered that should she become his squire – not his bride – it would give her much more to bond with Brandon over.

Years of religious indoctrination and martial training exploded from that, the temple she learned at finding a surprisingly ample foundation from her early years. Courtly romances weren't unheard of in the parables and teachings of Heironeous, especially as knights often numbered among his well-armed flock, so her attention latched on to those lessons easily. The thought of growing closer to Brandon made suffering through every training drill more tolerable, made the fear of facing the greatest evil in existence that was Hextor's heretics less terrifying. Throughout she became a weapon that can and would have to defend the weak and destroy the tyrannical.

It confused and saddened Olivia when she next met Brandon when she was eighteen. They were both knighted, and after years of training, and many letters written back and forth, both found the other underwhelming. Brandon still had a boyish humour to match his looks, which was a little too crude for her growing tastes, and he had found comfort in Pelor's teachings after a skirmish stole the life of a friend. Equally, Olivia had become much more prejudiced of other faiths, breaking the image he had in his heart of a more romantic and open-minded girl. Realizing their disappointment was strangely mutual, they both ended up laughing at the assumptions they made as children.

Their friendship renewed from that, and their now platonic love brought them closer in some ways than they had been. They started talking about friends, old and new, about battles fought and won and lost. Eventually the point was raised about a very diligent squire that had disappeared not a month past in the nearby city of Vudkholl. It was relatively close to a temple of Heironeous, so Olivia promised to look into it, only to be embarrassed and confused to find disappearances had been happening in the area for years. She investigated further to halt the foul play.

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-24 at 06:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the humanoids have been reduced in number, what languages are present in this setting? I get a free one from Hermit and I want to make an informed choice.

Nevermind, I'll go with Dwarvish
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-03-24 at 09:13 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I'm thinking originally part of an ascetic order, pushed into self-isolation when the monastery was destroyed. I've got some ideas for a background brewing.

Barovia seems like a great place to have the Hermit's Discovery background feature, do you want to discuss that over PMs?
    That works.

It certainly is! PM inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Charlotte Valois, human rogue, going for Scout at 3rd.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    *snip*
    Hmm, I like the concept but it seems a little too self contained and like it would push your character heavily towards simply wanting to get out of Barovia and back to her personal quest.

If I could make a suggestion: Rather than being set up by a noble family, perhaps instead her parents were betrayed by their gypsy allies who served as their information network and have gone missing. Now Charlotte has followed a line of clues that make her think the gypsies use this abandoned house as a base of operations in the city.

As for your sheet:
    • I would ask that you choose a Greyhawk deity. Olidammara or Fharlanghn seem like they would fit
    • You are short a Skill Proficiency, 4 from Rogue, 2 from Background, 1 from Race
    • Your bonus on Insight checks should be +4
    • Your bonus on Persuasion checks should be +2

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    What deities should we use?

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2158279

mostly done
    Hmm, assume that the Greyhawk gods exist as saints within a dualistic theism that venerates a High Patriarch and a Dark Lady. These saints have their own cults, dogmas, and temples, and they are largely unchanged from a standard D&D setting. We will be going with a magic comes from faith and devotion angle rather than it being directly granted by the gods, or saints as the case may be, for this campaign. Assume that a god who is Any Good or Lawful Neutral is a saint of the Patriarch and assume that a god who is Any Evil or Chaotic Neutral is a saint of the Lady. Neutral gods can go either way or be interpreted differently by their followers, essentially have two cults instead of one.

You can also worship the Patriarch or the Lady directly. The High Patriarch is a Lawful Good Sun God with Pelor as his herald. The Dark Lady is a Chaotic Evil Night Goddess with Tharizdun as her champion. People worship the Patriarch for his blessings and people offer sacrifices to the Lady to abjure her wrath.

Sheet:
    • The use of a Shield and Mail should make for an AC of 18
    • I can't get your ability score to add up, could you please show your work
    • That flaw seems remarkably... underwhelming, I look forward to seeing you flesh that out a bit

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    Show

25 point buy.

Strength: 15
    Constitution: 13

+1 Strength level.
    +1 Charisma level.
    Variant Human feat: Heavy Armour Optimisation.

*snip*
    So, I'm assuming Paladin with the Noble background? With the Heavy Armor Master feat?

Your background might need a little bit of massaging due to the changes to deities I made above. Other than that it looks good to me.

Edit: @pr0l0t0r: I'm a goldfish.

Sheet Review:
    • Looks good.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2020-03-24 at 10:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Posting interest with Inuwak, the Elven fighter. Feel free to ask for any changes, I'm super flexible!

Spoiler: Backstory:
    Show

Inuwak is an unusual elven mercenary. Like many of his kind, he has set out to learn the many secrets that the world hid; instead of pursuing the Old Faith, studying the Fey, or learning the arcane arts, he has devoted himself to the pursuit of the blade. He struck out as an adventurer, joining a ragtag mercenary outfit some years ago.

The life of adventure was not nearly as glamorous as he had hoped. Endless marches through dismal human lands, bloody battlefields filled with the entrails of friend and foe alike, the sleepless nights filled with the haunted visions of allies long gone - it was certainly not the tale the bards of his village once told.

Alas, the life of a mercenary is the only one he knows. In his heart, he still dreams of a world where adventure and fantasy are as fantastical as his dreams - his 40 years of soldiering, however, have taught him that such dreams are impossible. All there is, is here: the painful, dark world that creates such monsters as Count Strahd.

His most recent band, the Hands of Steel, was hired to besiege the Castle Ravenloft. The company started in high spirits, but mysterious disappearances and devastating military losses broke the morale of all but Inuwak. He would have his vengeance, and finish his job.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I've created the discord for OOC chat and such!

Here's the link!

--

https://discord.gg/Ra9X2Pb

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    Posting interest with Inuwak, the Elven fighter. Feel free to ask for any changes, I'm super flexible!

Spoiler: Backstory:
    Show

Inuwak is an unusual elven mercenary. Like many of his kind, he has set out to learn the many secrets that the world hid; instead of pursuing the Old Faith, studying the Fey, or learning the arcane arts, he has devoted himself to the pursuit of the blade. He struck out as an adventurer, joining a ragtag mercenary outfit some years ago.

The life of adventure was not nearly as glamorous as he had hoped. Endless marches through dismal human lands, bloody battlefields filled with the entrails of friend and foe alike, the sleepless nights filled with the haunted visions of allies long gone - it was certainly not the tale the bards of his village once told.

Alas, the life of a mercenary is the only one he knows. In his heart, he still dreams of a world where adventure and fantasy are as fantastical as his dreams - his 40 years of soldiering, however, have taught him that such dreams are impossible. All there is, is here: the painful, dark world that creates such monsters as Count Strahd.

His most recent band, the Hands of Steel, was hired to besiege the Castle Ravenloft. The company started in high spirits, but mysterious disappearances and devastating military losses broke the morale of all but Inuwak. He would have his vengeance, and finish his job.
    Mechanically, you don't seem to actually be wearing your Leather Armor, but otherwise you're solid.
    From a Character perspective you seem to be missing your Personality, Ideal, Bond, and Flaw. I'm assuming you have some kind of soldier or mercenary background in mind, but I don't see where your feature is recorded.

And as far as character concept... Let's get to work

• I'm not crazy about the idea of a lvl 1, 40 year veteran
    • Nobody knows that the world creates monsters like Strahd because nobody knows about Barovia.
    • There was no mercenary company besieging Castle Ravenloft because nobody can get to Barovia.

However not all is lost. I propose that you are in fact a grizzled veteran, that you do know about and hate Strahd, and that you did lay siege to Castle Ravenloft, but, you are also a raving madman. You were brought to Barovia some time in your past by the mists, as part of an adventuring party. Your group was slowly worn down by the land and its foul master until you were the lone survivor. You were then captured and tortured by Strahd to break your mind yet further, before being cast out. Now you are a beggar in the city of Vudkholl who tries to keep people from investigating the strange abandoned manor that brought you back

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Finished: Varic Mavali, Wood Elf Monk and ex-Hermit
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mechanically, you don't seem to actually be wearing your Leather Armor, but otherwise you're solid.
    From a Character perspective you seem to be missing your Personality, Ideal, Bond, and Flaw. I'm assuming you have some kind of soldier or mercenary background in mind, but I don't see where your feature is recorded.

And as far as character concept... Let's get to work

• I'm not crazy about the idea of a lvl 1, 40 year veteran
    • Nobody knows that the world creates monsters like Strahd because nobody knows about Barovia.
    • There was no mercenary company besieging Castle Ravenloft because nobody can get to Barovia.

However not all is lost. I propose that you are in fact a grizzled veteran, that you do know about and hate Strahd, and that you did lay siege to Castle Ravenloft, but, you are also a raving madman. You were brought to Barovia some time in your past by the mists, as part of an adventuring party. Your group was slowly worn down by the land and its foul master until you were the lone survivor. You were then captured and tortured by Strahd to break your mind yet further, before being cast out. Now you are a beggar in the city of Vudkholl who tries to keep people from investigating the strange abandoned manor that brought you back
    Ooh, love the edits! Yeah, I haven't run Curse of Strahd before, so I wasn't exactly sure how to make a character 'fit in' to the existing lore (or, even, what that lore is beyond the brief background the handbook provides!). Happy to make those changes - it would fit in with my idea for the character. I'll PM you with more of what I was thinking, and maybe how I can modify given your edits.

It's odd, I can't seem to find the 'feature' tab either. I certainly filled it in, though, and I'll just post here/maybe make a Mythweavers sheet so it's more transparent.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling some starting gold.

(5d4)[10] x 10

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Finished: Varic Mavali, Wood Elf Monk and ex-Hermit
    You appear to be done. Let me know if we have anything else to talk about

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I like the concept but it seems a little too self contained and like it would push your character heavily towards simply wanting to get out of Barovia and back to her personal quest.

If I could make a suggestion: Rather than being set up by a noble family, perhaps instead her parents were betrayed by their gypsy allies who served as their information network and have gone missing. Now Charlotte has followed a line of clues that make her think the gypsies use this abandoned house as a base of operations in the city.

As for your sheet:
    • I would ask that you choose a Greyhawk deity. Olidammara or Fharlanghn seem like they would fit
    • You are short a Skill Proficiency, 4 from Rogue, 2 from Background, 1 from Race
    • Your bonus on Insight checks should be +4
    • Your bonus on Persuasion checks should be +2
    Thanks for the catches and backstory pointers. Updated Charlotte.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

If there's room, I would like to be considered. I have never played the campaign, and it has always been right at the top of my to do list.

Basic idea would be Mihai Florescu, archfey warlock. His parents fell foul of Strahd, but he escaped with his older sister to our generic fantasy Transylvania. Once grown, he went deep into the woods, seeking out and making a pact with the Queen of Air and Darkness for power in an attempt to get revenge on the vampire lord for the death of his parents. Once he has learned some magic, it's time to return to Barovia.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Thanks for the catches and backstory pointers. Updated Charlotte.
    Okay, it looks like you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryn View Post
    If there's room, I would like to be considered. I have never played the campaign, and it has always been right at the top of my to do list.

Basic idea would be Mihai Florescu, archfey warlock. His parents fell foul of Strahd, but he escaped with his older sister to our generic fantasy Transylvania. Once grown, he went deep into the woods, seeking out and making a pact with the Queen of Air and Darkness for power in an attempt to get revenge on the vampire lord for the death of his parents. Once he has learned some magic, it's time to return to Barovia.
    We seem to be rapidly approaching a quorum for a party, but feel free to work up a character and you might still get in. Worst case scenario you'll get wait-listed, since it's always good to have a deep bench for PbP.

As far as your concept goes, the only people who can fall afoul of Strahd and escape these days are the Vistani, Barovian gypsies. I can send you more details if that interests you. On the Queen of Air and Darkness bit, that invokes a very Anglo-Celtic sense of fairy-dom, which is a bit out of place in the more Slavic feeling world I'm going for. Might I suggest Baba Yaga instead? With all of the subtle differences that change implies.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2020-03-25 at 11:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

No worries at all about making a deal with Baba Yaga. Well, apart from the obvious ones! Really lovely idea.

Quite happy to be on the waiting list of necessary - I'll work on the character anyway, and would love to hear more about the Vistani as I know next to nothing about them.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, assume that the Greyhawk gods exist as saints within a dualistic theism that venerates a High Patriarch and a Dark Lady. These saints have their own cults, dogmas, and temples, and they are largely unchanged from a standard D&D setting. We will be going with a magic comes from faith and devotion angle rather than it being directly granted by the gods, or saints as the case may be, for this campaign. Assume that a god who is Any Good or Lawful Neutral is a saint of the Patriarch and assume that a god who is Any Evil or Chaotic Neutral is a saint of the Lady. Neutral gods can go either way or be interpreted differently by their followers, essentially have two cults instead of one.

You can also worship the Patriarch or the Lady directly. The High Patriarch is a Lawful Good Sun God with Pelor as his herald. The Dark Lady is a Chaotic Evil Night Goddess with Tharizdun as her champion. People worship the Patriarch for his blessings and people offer sacrifices to the Lady to abjure her wrath.

Sheet:
    • The use of a Shield and Mail should make for an AC of 18
    • I can't get your ability score to add up, could you please show your work
    • That flaw seems remarkably... underwhelming, I look forward to seeing you flesh that out a bit
    I fixed the AC and point buy (forgot to decrease Con when I decided to go higher with Str).
    And I agree. Care to offer a more fitting flaw for a Monster Hunter from the Patriarch's Church?
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

No worries at all about making a deal with Baba Yaga. Well, apart from the obvious ones! Really lovely idea.

Quite happy to be on the waiting list of necessary - I'll work on the character anyway, and would love to hear more about the Vistani as I know next to nothing about them.
    I'll PM you in a bit, since its knowledge best discovered in game, and I'm supposed to be sleeping atm.

And I agree. Care to offer a more fitting flaw for a Monster Hunter from the Patriarch's Church?
    Hmm, if I were going to blend that with your Personality and Background I would go with something along the lines of:

I believe that I can redeem any monster if he was once a man.

I'm having trouble phrasing it, damn insomnia, but perhaps you see what I'm getting at? Drawing from your character's determination and a focus on the past, plus a bit of spirituality and the assumption that your Twilight domain means you see the world differently than most, and then framing it as a flaw in the tragic style (i.e. too much of a good thing)
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2020-03-25 at 01:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

So this is going to be a first come first serve selection process?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: Curse of Strahd [5e]

I'm moving really slowly for the number side. For background, I went with Acolyte exclusively because I liked its Bond, Flaw, Personality more, as much as I prefer the Noble background. Am I allowed to choose Noble but still keep the personality? It's a minor thing one way or the other, but I don't know what's allowed or not.

This is the very bare bones sheet so far: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2159172
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-25 at 03:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, if I were going to blend that with your Personality and Background I would go with something along the lines of:

I believe that I can redeem any monster if he was once a man.

I'm having trouble phrasing it, damn insomnia, but perhaps you see what I'm getting at? Drawing from your character's determination and a focus on the past, plus a bit of spirituality and the assumption that your Twilight domain means you see the world differently than most, and then framing it as a flaw in the tragic style (i.e. too much of a good thing)
    Yes, that will work. Try this for a flaw:

I'm certain of one thing, no one who was once a man is beyond redemption.

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I've done a little research (very high level - fantasy Roma, can navigate the mists of Ravenloft), so here goes...

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2159464

I wasn't sure about the languages we're going to be using. Very happy to swap out Sylvan for something else if you think that would be preferable.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Mihai didn't remember much about his parents, but he remembered that night. A tall stranger, and the word "Strahd" torn from his mother's lips as a scream. His hand in his sister's, running, running away as fast as they could. Looking back over his shoulder and seeing white fangs flashing, and the red of blood everywhere. And then finally the mists obscuring everything.

He couldn't remember much, but he had never forgotten. Not in the nineteen years he had been exiled homeland. He and his sister had had to live by their wits at first. With no family and no friends, they eked out their existence by living hand to mouth, relying on quick hands and quicker tongues. They travelled at first, like they had at home, but eventually they made a life for themselves in a village. His sister learned about the local herbs, while he grew his repertoire of music, songs and stories to keep people entertained long into the night.

Until one story stayed with him - the story of Baba Yaga who lived in the dark heart of the forest in her hut that stood on chicken's legs. Who flew over the forest in a pestle and mortar. Who sometimes helped those who sought her aid, and sometimes ensured that they never returned at all. Someone like that, Mihai reasoned, might give him the power to stand against Strahd and gain vengeance for his parents' murders.

So one night he set off, picking his way through the secret paths until he came to that hut. Armed only with his violin and his silver tongue he entered, and therein he made a pact with Baba Yaga. A year later he emerged wearing a bracelet of bones and possessing the rudiments of arcane power. He still had to wait. He and his sister could no longer navigate the mists like they used to, but thanks to his mentor he knew when and where to be. The mists returned, and for the first time in nineteen years Mihai set foot on the soil of Barovia. He was home.
    Last edited by Jaryn; 2020-03-25 at 07:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Doom View Post
    So this is going to be a first come first serve selection process?
    Oh god, no. Our friend with the stylish headwear and tea set gets in because it's his request, and players/alternates are selected from there based on what I think will mesh best and play well.

I'm moving really slowly for the number side. For background, I went with Acolyte exclusively because I liked its Bond, Flaw, Personality more, as much as I prefer the Noble background. Am I allowed to choose Noble but still keep the personality? It's a minor thing one way or the other, but I don't know what's allowed or not.

This is the very bare bones sheet so far: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2159172
    You can pull traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws from any background or fabricate them from whole cloth. The only thing you have to stick with are the mechanical aspects of a background: the skills proficiencies, equipment, and feature.

Yes, that will work. Try this for a flaw:

I'm certain of one thing, no one who was once a man is beyond redemption.
    Good with me

I've done a little research (very high level - fantasy Roma, can navigate the mists of Ravenloft), so here goes...

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2159464

I wasn't sure about the languages we're going to be using. Very happy to swap out Sylvan for something else if you think that would be preferable.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Mihai didn't remember much about his parents, but he remembered that night. A tall stranger, and the word "Strahd" torn from his mother's lips as a scream. His hand in his sister's, running, running away as fast as they could. Looking back over his shoulder and seeing white fangs flashing, and the red of blood everywhere. And then finally the mists obscuring everything.

He couldn't remember much, but he had never forgotten. Not in the nineteen years he had been exiled homeland. He and his sister had had to live by their wits at first. With no family and no friends, they eked out their existence by living hand to mouth, relying on quick hands and quicker tongues. They travelled at first, like they had at home, but eventually they made a life for themselves in a village. His sister learned about the local herbs, while he grew his repertoire of music, songs and stories to keep people entertained long into the night.

Until one story stayed with him - the story of Baba Yaga who lived in the dark heart of the forest in her hut that stood on chicken's legs. Who flew over the forest in a pestle and mortar. Who sometimes helped those who sought her aid, and sometimes ensured that they never returned at all. Someone like that, Mihai reasoned, might give him the power to stand against Strahd and gain vengeance for his parents' murders.

So one night he set off, picking his way through the secret paths until he came to that hut. Armed only with his violin and his silver tongue he entered, and therein he made a pact with Baba Yaga. A year later he emerged wearing a bracelet of bones and possessing the rudiments of arcane power. He still had to wait. He and his sister could no longer navigate the mists like they used to, but thanks to his mentor he knew when and where to be. The mists returned, and for the first time in nineteen years Mihai set foot on the soil of Barovia. He was home.
    Languages are Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Infernal, Sylvan, and Vistani, although Vistani is not taught to those who aren't of the blood, and probably 99% of everything will be in Common.

Background is good. Sheet is good. PM actually inc this time.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2020-03-25 at 08:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I think this idea is 95% done, already edited it to fit a bit better. Does this work?

Show

25 point buy.

Strength: 14
    Constitution: 14

+1 Strength level.
    +1 Charisma level.
    Variant Human feat: Heavy Armour Master, +1 Strength.

Looks:

Spoiler: Looks
    Show

Noble:

Spoiler: Noble
    Show

Noble: Knight variant:

Skills: Persuasion and History.
    Extra Language: Celestial (if allowed, if not then whatever suits a Noble).
    Knight variant: If we find the unnamed squire alive, I'd like to recruit him/her as Olivia's squire to help her fix whatever's gone wrong. This feature says I can have three NPCs that help me, two to do none-dangerous actions, and a single squire. I'm mostly just interested in the squire. If you dislike the idea, then I'll go with the normal noble feature Position of Privilege instead. What do you think?

Equipment:

Spoiler: Equipment
    Show

Paladin page 84 (a)~~~
    Longsword, martial weapon, page 148. 1d8 Slashing. 3lb. Versatile (1d10).
    Chain mail, heavy armour, page 146. AC +16.
    Shield, page 146. AC +2.

Paladin (b)~~~
    Mace, simple weapon, page 148. 1d6 bludgeoning.

Paladin (a)~~~
    Priests pack, page 151.

Also chain mail and a holy symbol.

Noble~~~Page 135.
    A fine set of clothes, a signet ring, a scroll of pedigree, and a purse with 25 gp.
    Dragonchess set, page 154.

Personality:

Spoiler: Personality
    Show

Spoiler: Traits, Ideal, Bond, Flaw
    Show

Personality Trait, 1: I am intolerant of other faiths and condemn the worship of other gods.
    Personality Trait, 2: The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
    Ideal: Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
    Bond: Everything I do is for the common people.
    Flaw: I am inflexible in my thinking.

Aiming for the greatest well-being for the greatest number of people, Olivia is already certain of her life's goal. She attempts this through the utmost faith in saint Heironeous above all else, embodying knightly honour because his teachings insist on it. Much, if not all, of her morals are merely an offshoot of her genuine piety, but this has come at an obvious price. Many bitter and brutal recollections and encounters with Hextor worshippers planted the first seeds of religious intolerance in her. In itself, this is typical of many Heironeous worshippers. But in Olivia it grew into a much more generalised condemnation for all other saints, and this is largely due to her frustration with seeing them as too foolish to unite and focus on destroying one of the greatest evils in existence (Hextor). To Olivia, if Hextor were destroyed, the Dark Lady would quickly be finished.

History:

Spoiler: History
    Show
    Olivia originally was the fifth child of a newly established noble family, of which she belonged to the second generation. What Lord and Lady Torus lacked in land, they made up for with clout. They focused most of their time and love on the future heir and eldest sister, offering Olivia only enough training in sweet words and pleasantries that she wouldn't embarrass her family. Beyond that, she was granted a free time her older siblings little imagined, and she spent half the time listening to songs embellishing courtly romances. It eventually inspired her to start befriending squires. After all, any of them might become the knight she would fall in love with and marry.

A tasteful interest in armour and weaponry was developed – exclusively to have common conversational ground. Especially as a squire by the name of Brandon and her were developing a friendship that had never been entirely innocent. Knowing he was becoming an excellent jouster, and having a romantic if unrealistic image in her head of their affection being heralded and sang of, Olivia convinced her family to throw a local tournament with her hand as the prize. Her parents agreed only because a noble son of another family had shown interest in her as well.

Between a potential noble suitor and what she thought was her true love, Olivia was shocked and confused when instead a mystery black knight stole the tourney from both of them. It was worse when he revealed himself a zealot for the warmongering saint, Heironeous. Her wailing and protests were neither ladylike nor private, but Ser Robyn weathered it patiently, letting her tantrum run until she noticed he hadn't argued or objected. Instead, the knight smiled and offered that should she become his squire – not his bride – it would give her much more to bond with Brandon over.

Years of religious indoctrination and martial training exploded from that, the temple she learned at finding a surprisingly ample foundation from her early years. Courtly romances weren't unheard of in the parables and teachings of Heironeous, especially as knights often numbered among his well-armed flock, so her attention latched on to those lessons easily. The thought of growing closer to Brandon made suffering through every training drill more tolerable, made the fear of directly aligning herself against one of the greatest evils in creation, Hextor, less terrifying. Throughout, she became a weapon that can and would defend the weak and destroy the tyrannical.

It confused and saddened an eighteen year old Olivia when she finally met Brandon face to face again. They were both knighted, and after many years of letters written back and forth, both found the other underwhelming. Brandon still had boyish good looks, but his humour unfortunately matched his looks, which was a little too crude for her growing tastes. He also had found comfort in Pelor's teachings after a skirmish stole the life of a friend. Equally, Olivia had become much more prejudiced of saints outside of Heironeous, breaking the image he had in his heart of the more romantic and open-minded girl that he once knew. Realizing their disappointment was strangely mutual, they both ended up laughing at the assumptions they kept over the years.

Their friendship renewed from that, and their now platonic love brought them closer in some ways than they had ever been. They started talking about friends, old and new, about battles fought and won and lost. Eventually the point was raised about a very diligent squire that had disappeared not a month past in the nearby city of Vudkholl. It was relatively close to a temple of Heironeous, so Olivia promised to look into it, only to be embarrassed and confused to find disappearances had been happening in that same area for years. She investigated further to halt the foul play.

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-26 at 07:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

I think this idea is 95% done, already edited it to fit a bit better. Does this work?

*snip*
    Looks good. I'm perfectly fine with the Knight variant. There are plenty of Barovians that you could have tag along, if you don't mind picking up your retinue during the game.

Applicants Table
    Player Build Sheet Missing
    The Mad Hatter Human Fighter Brandi O'Byrne P/I/B/F; Background; Backstory
    Tycho42 Human (Halfling) Alchemist Discord, Robart Tall None
    Luccan Wood Elf Monk Varic Mavali None
    JNAProductions Hill Dwarf Life Cleric Unnamed P/I/B/F; Equipment; Background; Backstory
    Kvard51 Human (Firbolg) Twilight Cleric Kristof Dragomir Backstory
    pr0l0t0r Human Conjurer Zakariah Vigil None
    Amnestic Human Scout Charlotte Valois None
    JoyWonderLove Human Paladin Dame Olvia Torus None
    Falgorn Elven Veteran Mercenary Inuwak P/I/B/F; Background
    Jaryn Vistana Warlock Mihai Florescu None

We have here our completed list of applicants. Please review your entry and complete any outstanding components. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take everyone, but I hope that those of you who aren't selected will be willing to stick around as alternates. Everybody has a few days to finish their characters and selection will take place after that, hopefully sometime this weekend.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Hello? Is this thing on?

I believe I have my selection

Player Build Sheet Speech Color
    The Mad Hatter Human Fighter Brandi O'Byrne
    Tycho42 Human (Halfling) Alchemist Discord, Robart Tall
    Luccan Wood Elf Monk Varic Mavali
    Kvard51 Human (Firbolg) Twilight Cleric Kristof Dragomir
    pr0l0t0r Human Conjurer Zakariah Vigil
    Falgorn Elven Veteran Mercenary Inuwak

Alternates table:

Player Build Sheet
    Amnestic Human Scout Charlotte Valois
    JoyWonderLove Human Paladin Dame Olvia Torus
    Jaryn Vistana Warlock Mihai Florescu

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thank you for the selection, and I am looking forward to getting started!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm excited to get started!
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show