Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Iron Crisis [5e]

The Lord of Murder shall perish
    But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
    Chaos will be sown from their passing
    So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Nestled atop the cliffs that rise from the Sword Coast, the citadel of Candlekeep houses the finest and most comprehensive collection of writings on the face of Faerun. It is an imposing fortress, kept in strict isolation from the intrigues that occasionally plague the rest of the Forgotten Realms. It is seculuded, highly regimented, and it is home.

You’re shaken awake one morning. Your foster father, Gorion, tells you that you need to collect your things and prepare for a journey, to meet him by the gates once done. He drops a coinpurse on the table and vanishes out the door. As you shake away the last remnants of sleep, you hear him do the same with your other “siblings”, foster children he’d brought back from who knows where – a childhood before Candlekeep long since forgotten. Sun’s first light is just bleeding through the windows. So much for chores.

For those who've played it - yes, this is an adaptation of Baldur's Gate 1. At least to start with. No guarantees it goes the same way. If you've got no experience with it, great! If you know everything about it, also fine but please don't spoil/metagame for those who haven't and aren't familiar, same with any sort of premade module/adventure.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Forgotten Realms, specifically the sword coast. Time period is 1368 DR, though if you’re not familiar with the setting I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

3-6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Forums. I usually use mythweavers for sheets, but if you’ve got an alternative (dndbeyond) that’s fine too.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

1st level – Milestone leveling. If all goes as planned, expect to reach 10th-11th by end of campaign, just in case that matters

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard character wealth.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Any classes/archetypes from published stuff. Any homebrew just ask.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

No warforged, but otherwise any FR race, though I might veto if I’ve forgotten something.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

27 Point Buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Not fussed beyond “must be able to work in a group”.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Allowed, not fussed.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

People will roll their own dice. If you’re forcing a save against someone else, roll in your post to speed things up – can apply modifiers later. I’ll be doing the same.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Everyone gets a free feat. No real HRs other than that, could change along the way.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

As very young children, you were brought from homes long forgotten to Candlekeep, a fortress-library on the Sword Coast. There you were raised by your foster father (dutiful and kind, though often absent) and the other monks alongside your ‘siblings’, though you weren’t all brought together at the same time. You've not stepped outside the walls since entering, and so Candlekeep is all the life you've ever known. You all know each other, though how close/how much you like one another is entirely up to you.

Max age of 25. Min age of 15. What sort of kid you were beyond that is up to you, and if you can justify a specific Background for a kid raised in candlekeep (eg. Criminal) that’s fine, but some (eg. Sailor, Faction Agent) are going to be off limits for obvious reasons. You might have a soldier background working with the keep guard, or merchant apprenticed to Winthrop the innkeep and learning from passing traders.

I don’t need any long details but if you want to, feel free. A paragraph works fine to hit the high notes of personality/style.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack+slash/RP, probably not much puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

I’ve got most books for 5e, if you’re concerned about anything unusual/UA/homebrew ask. Blood Hunter’s allowed, since that’s a common ask.

Applications will close when I get to it Saturday 28th. Probably midday - early afternoon UK time. Any questions let me know.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis [5e]

Ooh... Shiny.

Homebrew requests!

Anthropomorphic Bat
    Animal Domain Cleric

Both are recently posted, so expect some revisions incoming. Feel free to post in those threads recommending changes!

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Viridian was found by one of the monks of Candlekeep, while they were walking in the woods. They weren't sure if Viridian was a child abandoned, or when looking closer, some form of were-creature, but regardless, the monk knew to take her to Gorion. Gorion, examined the infant, and determined she was likely the result of some druidic mishap. He reassured the people of Candlekeep that she would be no more a threat than any other child, and took her in as his own.

Growing up Viridian always felt a close kinship with the animals of Candlekeep, and soon began working alongside the monks who tended to the horses and whatnot. When one of her charges, a puppy owned by one of the other children of Candlekeep, was hurt, she desperately tried to fix him. And, to her shock, she was able to heal him with nothing but a touch. Gorion was glad, and began to tutor her (when he was home) in the ways of controlling her magic.

Viridian is 19 years old.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I'd be interested. Not sure what I'd play yet, though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm very interested. I'll wait to see what other characters are submitted, then fill in the gap in party composition.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'd like to submit a Paladin. I'll work on a build and edit it into this post.

6. - Top - End - #6

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd love to play a Wizard, Warlock, or Artificer, and am leaning towards a Genasi or an Elf of some description. I'll knock together a character or two and see how things are.

EDIT: Below are a Wizard and a Warlock for your perusal.

Extra Edit: Assume their HP is min of average until I manage to log into MW and change it. And I'm also happy to lean towards Guinevere if we lean CHA.

Spoiler: Guinevere Elderflower
    Show

Guinevere was found young, barely living off berries and forage. She has come to the conclusion, once able, that she was abandoned, her elf parents not wanting their child for some reason, or possibly being both dead. Living in Candlekeep, she gravitated to learning about her heritage, reading voraciously and finding affection for any elves she met. The predilection for reading, combined with being in Candlekeep of all places, led her to take up both a part-time librarian role, and consequently to train under an ageing patron. By no means a proper educator, the visitor to the library saw something in Guinevere, and taught her as much as he thought reasonable.

Throughout this, she kept in touch with Gorion despite her drive to find her family, always holding a spot for him in her heart, and knowing she owed him her life. The monks too have always been friends, and Guinevere is grateful at how facilitating they were to her incessant childhood requests for books.

Spoiler: Ezra Hellebore
    Show

Ezra almost perished as a toddler, and would have become little more than an icy morsel for the wolves if it were not for his patron. The Prince of Frost, on his way to taunt another in a long line of hapless heroes, happened upon the infant Ezra sitting in the frost. Perhaps he saw some of his own loss, perhaps he simply wished for more agents. Perhaps the Prince saw something of Sharaea in Ezra, or perhaps he simply wished to spread his sorrow. For whichever motive, the Prince stopped in his journey, and briefly entertained the young boy. Once finished, he asked the boy if he had fun, if he wished to live, and if he would serve the Prince. The boy, Ezra, agreed. Obviously, this was not an agreement made with an adult mind and adult psyche, but the Prince did not care. And so, Ezra was bound to the Prince of Frost.

Of course, finding such a child marked by an archfey, any respectable adult would not just leave them be, no matter how at home they seemed in the frost and cold.

In adult life, Ezra has struggled with the influence of the Prince, and has tried to both use the Prince's gifts for good and not fall into the selfless archetype so hated by his patron. He usually strikes a balance by besting the best people he can find in insignificant games of wit and skill, often ruining a day or two but not going so far as the Prince of Frost would. This causes a small helping of guilt, but by choosing the right people to bring sorrow, and by giving much of the money he earns to the monks who raised him, he tries to push it back.
    Last edited by Omoikane13; 2020-03-24 at 05:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'm interested, I've got a monk idea I'm kicking around. Working on it as I do laundry.
    EDIT: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2155925

Spoiler: backstory
    Show
    Dumpling was always drawn to the kitchens of Candlekeep, and has worked in them for as long as he can remember. It was in the kitchens where a cook made a joke about how much the fat bald child resembled a dumpling. The nickname stuck, and for the most part no one ever uses his real name (which is Eldon).
    Last edited by Kalashak; 2020-03-22 at 07:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Would you be open to a Hexblade Warlock, possibly a paladin multiclass? I want to try one out. I know there's a reputation for being over powered, but honestly I don't think I have the min-maxing skills, nor do I have interest in overshadowing others.

I have vague memories of playing bits of Baldur's Gate at a friend's house, so this should be fun.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gonna come in with an archer-themed fighter, I think.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I know I played Baldur's Gate back when it came out... and as such recall extremely little about it.

I have an unusual idea for a character, requiring a very little bit of homebrew. I want to make a character who is basically a stage magician. Mechanically I'd just want to do an Illusionist Wizard but be Charisma based instead of Int and I'd want to swap out Arcane Recovery for Expertise at 1 and 6 like a Rogue, Cunning Escape at level 2 as well if you'd think that's fair but if not it's not a huge deal. The big thing I'd need to do is make a custom spell list, though I'm not sure if asking for a spell list that'd probably wind up smaller than the wizard spell list on something that's basically a wizard is really a big ask.
    I'd have another ask here in wanting two Background Features. By Popular Demand and Retainers (basically three people who rotate duties as "lovely assistant" and "audience member"). Though I suppose I could make do without By Popular Demand, it'd just be a little strange.
    Edit: I guess I'd also want to take Performance and Sleight of Hand as my class skills rather than the ones Wizard normally gets.
    Not sure if you'd want me to keep Int and Wis as my proficient saves or something different. (Con and Chr would be great for sure.)

If you're not up for that though, I'd do a Swashbuckler Rogue who likes to sneak into places and leave gifts rather than steal things (though admittedly they probably get those things by stealing from wealthy people unless their life at Candlekeep has kept them wealthy enough to afford to pay for this on their own).
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-22 at 07:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I'll take a different route from my usual characters and focus entirely on support - a bard eventually to join the Glamour college. Cheese Temporary hit points for everyone!

ddb.ac/characters/25277092/qODLJF

Amandil Lindale

Amandil has no memory of his the years he spent outside Candlekeep, though he'd gathered from conversations with scholars there that, much like others under Gorion's care, he wasn't born there. Gorian made sure they received at least some sort of education and Amandil quickly determined that scholarship of the sort practiced by the wizards, sages and clerics there was not for him. Occasionally, though, lore bards would come around and spend some time at Candlekeep, and Amandil fell in with them to an extent. In his early teens he briefly formed a troupe with some of the other youngsters but that quickly fell apart.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Female barbarian Maldread half orc

ddb.ac/characters/25276699/SXrBJ5

Maldread is only 15 years old but she considers herself the older sister. She is the one all the others come running to when a physical threat is needed to answer a problem. Stuck in a tree call Maldread, cart lost a wheel call Maldread. She is quick to anger when love ones are involved.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Half-Elf Sorcerer. Question: If I decide on Wild Magic as my bloodline, how often can I expect Tides of Chaos/Wild Magic Surge to come up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am very familiar with Baldur's Gate (especially the first one) and actually adapted the game into a 3.5 campaign for my irl group years ago. That said, I'd love to get a chance to play through it but I have an unusual request. Would it be alright if I made one of the games NPC's as my player character? they're already tied to the story (somewhat) and it'll let the group kind of experience one of my favorite things from the game, the colorful NPC characters.

If so, I'd be interested in potentially playing Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Tiax, Xzar, or Montaron. If that's alright, I'll mull it over and come up with exactly whom.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember very few things from BG1, so I would love to play. Since everyone here is going wizard or ranged, I think I will submit a melee fighter. Probably human or something similar.

When is the deadline for submissions?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Doom View Post
    I'd love to play the colorful NPC character Minsc.

@Luccan: Why do you want to play the "let's roll dice to see if a party wipe happens for no good reason" archetype?

Also just man.... everyone wants to play Charisma primary characters. Sheesh. "You can't talk through this challenge or fight it." "Well GM, I guess we can't beat it then!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Top of the post - I've not read sheets yet, I'll be doing that later today but I've seen your posts even if I'm not responding.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Ooh... Shiny.

Homebrew requests!

Anthropomorphic Bat
    Animal Domain Cleric

Both are recently posted, so expect some revisions incoming. Feel free to post in those threads recommending changes!

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Viridian was found by one of the monks of Candlekeep, while they were walking in the woods. They weren't sure if Viridian was a child abandoned, or when looking closer, some form of were-creature, but regardless, the monk knew to take her to Gorion. Gorion, examined the infant, and determined she was likely the result of some druidic mishap. He reassured the people of Candlekeep that she would be no more a threat than any other child, and took her in as his own.

Growing up Viridian always felt a close kinship with the animals of Candlekeep, and soon began working alongside the monks who tended to the horses and whatnot. When one of her charges, a puppy owned by one of the other children of Candlekeep, was hurt, she desperately tried to fix him. And, to her shock, she was able to heal him with nothing but a touch. Gorion was glad, and began to tutor her (when he was home) in the ways of controlling her magic.

Viridian is 19 years old.
    Going to say no to the race, yes to the domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Omoikane13 View Post
    I'd love to play a Wizard, Warlock, or Artificer, and am leaning towards a Genasi or an Elf of some description. I'll knock together a character or two and see how things are.

EDIT: Below are a Wizard and a Warlock for your perusal.

Spoiler: Guinevere Elderflower
    Show

Guinevere was found young, barely living off berries and forage. She has come to the conclusion, once able, that she was abandoned, her elf parents not wanting their child for some reason, or possibly being both dead. Living in Candlekeep, she gravitated to learning about her heritage, reading voraciously and finding affection for any elves she met. The predilection for reading, combined with being in Candlekeep of all places, led her to take up both a part-time librarian role, and consequently to train under an ageing patron. By no means a proper educator, the visitor to the library saw something in Guinevere, and taught her as much as he thought reasonable.

Throughout this, she kept in touch with Gorion despite her drive to find her family, always holding a spot for him in her heart, and knowing she owed him her life. The monks too have always been friends, and Guinevere is grateful at how facilitating they were to her incessant childhood requests for books.

Spoiler: Ezra Hellebore
    Show

Ezra almost perished as a toddler, and would have become little more than an icy morsel for the wolves if it were not for his patron. The Prince of Frost, on his way to taunt another in a long line of hapless heroes, happened upon the infant Ezra sitting in the frost. Perhaps he saw some of his own loss, perhaps he simply wished for more agents. Perhaps the Prince saw something of Sharaea in Ezra, or perhaps he simply wished to spread his sorrow. For whichever motive, the Prince stopped in his journey, and briefly entertained the young boy. Once finished, he asked the boy if he had fun, if he wished to live, and if he would serve the Prince. The boy, Ezra, agreed. Obviously, this was not an agreement made with an adult mind and adult psyche, but the Prince did not care. And so, Ezra was bound to the Prince of Frost.

Of course, finding such a child marked by an archfey, any respectable adult would not just leave them be, no matter how at home they seemed in the frost and cold.

In adult life, Ezra has struggled with the influence of the Prince, and has tried to both use the Prince's gifts for good and not fall into the selfless archetype so hated by his patron. He usually strikes a balance by besting the best people he can find in insignificant games of wit and skill, often ruining a day or two but not going so far as the Prince of Frost would. This causes a small helping of guilt, but by choosing the right people to bring sorrow, and by giving much of the money he earns to the monks who raised him, he tries to push it back.
    Either works, your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    Would you be open to a Hexblade Warlock, possibly a paladin multiclass? I want to try one out. I know there's a reputation for being over powered, but honestly I don't think I have the min-maxing skills, nor do I have interest in overshadowing others.

I have vague memories of playing bits of Baldur's Gate at a friend's house, so this should be fun.
    Hexblade and/or Hexadin are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I know I played Baldur's Gate back when it came out... and as such recall extremely little about it.

I have an unusual idea for a character, requiring a very little bit of homebrew. I want to make a character who is basically a stage magician. Mechanically I'd just want to do an Illusionist Wizard but be Charisma based instead of Int and I'd want to swap out Arcane Recovery for Expertise at 1 and 6 like a Rogue, Cunning Escape at level 2 as well if you'd think that's fair but if not it's not a huge deal. The big thing I'd need to do is make a custom spell list, though I'm not sure if asking for a spell list that'd probably wind up smaller than the wizard spell list on something that's basically a wizard is really a big ask.
    I'd have another ask here in wanting two Background Features. By Popular Demand and Retainers (basically three people who rotate duties as "lovely assistant" and "audience member"). Though I suppose I could make do without By Popular Demand, it'd just be a little strange.
    Edit: I guess I'd also want to take Performance and Sleight of Hand as my class skills rather than the ones Wizard normally gets.
    Not sure if you'd want me to keep Int and Wis as my proficient saves or something different. (Con and Chr would be great for sure.)

If you're not up for that though, I'd do a Swashbuckler Rogue who likes to sneak into places and leave gifts rather than steal things (though admittedly they probably get those things by stealing from wealthy people unless their life at Candlekeep has kept them wealthy enough to afford to pay for this on their own).
    Sorry, I don't think the homebrew stuff requested is feasible as described. At least, not without a direct link to a full breakdown of the changes you're after. Swashbuckler's probably the simpler option.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Half-Elf Sorcerer. Question: If I decide on Wild Magic as my bloodline, how often can I expect Tides of Chaos/Wild Magic Surge to come up?
    Hmm, not done wild magic on pbp before. House rule idea: After using Tides of Chaos, instead of getting a Surge on a 1, you get it on a 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 17.

Seem reasonable?

I am very familiar with Baldur's Gate (especially the first one) and actually adapted the game into a 3.5 campaign for my irl group years ago. That said, I'd love to get a chance to play through it but I have an unusual request. Would it be alright if I made one of the games NPC's as my player character? they're already tied to the story (somewhat) and it'll let the group kind of experience one of my favorite things from the game, the colorful NPC characters.

If so, I'd be interested in potentially playing Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Tiax, Xzar, or Montaron. If that's alright, I'll mull it over and come up with exactly whom.
    Imoen's the only one I'd be okay with - the rest would kinda ruin the "all Gorion's Wards" thing I'm going for. I'm planning on doing stuff with the NPC party members (well, some of them).

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    I remember very few things from BG1, so I would love to play. Since everyone here is going wizard or ranged, I think I will submit a melee fighter. Probably human or something similar.

When is the deadline for submissions?
    Applications will close when I get to it Saturday 28th. Probably midday - early afternoon UK time. Any questions let me know. IC/OOC threads shortly after.

Think that covered off all the questions at the moment.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Playing:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Imoen's the only one I'd be okay with - the rest would kinda ruin the "all Gorion's Wards" thing I'm going for. I'm planning on doing stuff with the NPC party members (well, some of them).
    Yeah, Imoen's really not my jam. Is it essential that every character be an orphan that Gorion is taking care of? Would a friend of Gorion, who's present at Candlekeep to help with the journey not be feasible? There's examples of such (while not inside but nearby) in the game. Seems like old Gorion might be a little overworked if he's looking after 6 kids on his own... Unless you intend for all of the characters to have a deeper connection if you get my meaning, but if that's the case it seems like that might be setting us up for some inter party conflict down the line.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless you intend for all of the characters to have a deeper connection if you get my meaning, but if that's the case it seems like that might be setting us up for some inter party conflict down the line.
    I do get your meaning yeah :P That potential for conflict is intended (which is also partly why I'm fine with any alignments).

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Playing:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I was thinking I probably shouldn't throw my hat in the ring as I'm in a couple of games already, and don't want to be greedy at other people's expense, but I love Baldur's Gate and will therefore at least submit an idea.

I'll start work on a ranger, I think. Can you let me know if you like any of the UA stuff? No worries if not.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryn View Post
    I was thinking I probably shouldn't throw my hat in the ring as I'm in a couple of games already, and don't want to be greedy at other people's expense, but I love Baldur's Gate and will therefore at least submit an idea.

I'll start work on a ranger, I think. Can you let me know if you like any of the UA stuff? No worries if not.
    Sorry for missing it. I'm fine if it's UA for ranger stuff.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Playing:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I do get your meaning yeah :P That potential for conflict is intended (which is also partly why I'm fine with any alignments).
    I am sorry, can I ask a bit more on this? Are we supposed to be one of the original PCs in BG?

Also, IMHO, I have never seen intra-party conflict work out for the best. Especially in PbP games when people do not necessarily have real-life friendships.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am sorry, can I ask a bit more on this? Are we supposed to be one of the original PCs in BG?

Also, IMHO, I have never seen intra-party conflict work out for the best. Especially in PbP games when people do not necessarily have real-life friendships.
    I thought the idea was that we're all children of Bhaal but not the PC in Baldur's Gate. Like... a brother or sister of the PC.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're familiar with the situation surrounding the main character of BG, all player characters are that, not one of the premade 'party members' like Minsc or Jaheira.

The party conflict stuff won't come around for a long while (if at all), I'm not worried about it, but I can understand your concerns.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Playing:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, not done wild magic on pbp before. House rule idea: After using Tides of Chaos, instead of getting a Surge on a 1, you get it on a 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 and 17.

Seem reasonable?
    So, every time I use an applicable spell (after Tides of Chaos) I roll a d20 to see if I get a surge? Because normally it's just DM Fiat, not just rolling a 1 on a d20 (so you have to call it).

If so, that's fine by me.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-03-23 at 11:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

One more quick question - are we going to share a last name if we're foster children of Gorian?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryn View Post
    One more quick question - are we going to share a last name if we're foster children of Gorian?
    Gonna say no, can have different last names, simply because he might not/won't have renamed you after bringing you to Candlekeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    So, every time I use an applicable spell (after Tides of Chaos) I roll a d20 to see if I get a surge? Because normally it's just DM Fiat, not just rolling a 1 on a d20 (so you have to call it).

If so, that's fine by me.
    I actually misread the Wild Magic feature and thought it meant *every time* you cast a spell you'd roll a d20 to see if you get a surge (on a 1), rather than the DM saying if you need to check if you get a surge.

I like my way better though and if you're fine with it, s'all good.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-03-23 at 11:22 AM.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Playing:

29. - Top - End - #29

May I ask why the race is not approved? Tonal issue, or a mechanical issue, or something else?

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

You cast fireball as a 3rd-level spell centered on yourself.

You cast confusion centered on yourself.

A random creature within 60 feet of you becomes poisoned for 1d4 hours.

Each creature within 30 feet of you takes 1d10 necrotic damage. You regain hit points equal to the sum of the necrotic damage dealt.

Well this will probably be an interesting campaign. Maybe short, but interesting.