Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis [5e]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokaze View Post

Well this will probably be an interesting campaign. Maybe short, but interesting.
    Yeah at first level that could take down all but the sorcerer and maybe my barbarian.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a start for a Hill Dwarf Rogue. Currently thinking of him having been a stablehand to ease the transition into the Scout archetype. Any objection to trading in the shortbow and arrows from starting equipment for a sling and some bullets?
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Yeah at first level that could take down all but the sorcerer and maybe my barbarian.
    Don't worry, at any level the Wild Sorcerer can "whoops I killed the entire party"! (Yeah, I really really hate that archetype. It's so poorly designed. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking including it as any kind of official material let alone in the PHB.)

@Amnestic: Well that's fine. Rogue probably fits the game concept a bit better for this anyway and with all the charisma characters there might be for this game, only focusing on Persuasion means other people will have to fight over the spotlight for charisma stuff a bit less.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-23 at 12:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yea I wish I could be a fly on the wall during that design meeting.

"...And just to reinforce how WILD out new sorcerer is, let's give him a 2% chance to EXPLODE in a fireball every round!"
    "Won't that cause a lot of trouble at early levels? 10hp ain't much..."
    "Fine, fine, let's exempt cantrips from this. Spoil-sport."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ander Raventide, variant human ranger for inspection. I've decided to give the Unearthed Arcana class features for ranger a try out, seeing as you said that should be OK.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2157016

And here's my background, shamelessly inspired by the original!

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Ander was brought to Candlekeep when he was still a babe in arms, and grew up knowing no other home. Although Gorian and the monks of the keep educated him, he was a practical child and often spent time with the carpenters and hostlers. He loved all the creatures around Candlekeep, from the horses in the stables to the birds that roosted in the towers, and was nearly always accompanied by a dog or two.

Ander loved being part of a large family, and would do anything for them. He generally behaved himself well, although he was prone to slipping out of his bedroom after dark and roaming over the rooftops in the cool breeze. Gorian knew, of course, but when it proved the one point where his commands weren't obeyed he let it slide. Ander loved the night. He would often sit up at the very top of one of the towers and stare out into the world beyond the walls as it was illuminated by the silvery moon. He wanted nothing more to be able to run free, roaming out in the wilderness before returning home, but Gorian was firm on the point that none of the siblings were allowed to stray beyond Candlekeep. Ander was content to bide his time.

Besides, over the last year a new arrival at Candekeep had caught his eye. Mara Helder had come to the Great Library to study, and to Ander's eye she was extraordinarily beautiful. He contrived a way to talk to her and before long they were smitten with each other. He had to endure a great deal of teasing from some of his siblings, but it was worth it. Ander is wondering if, when she finishes her studies, he might ask his father if he can accompany her on the road for a while...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of the random effects are neutral to helpful, actually. I'll just stand further away from everyone else
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-03-23 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Here is Aintas, the fighter. Not ready yet, but getting there.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Don't worry, at any level the Wild Sorcerer can "whoops I killed the entire party"! (Yeah, I really really hate that archetype. It's so poorly designed. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking including it as any kind of official material let alone in the PHB.)
    I'm personally a fan of the d10000 list. It has everything ranging from inconsequential (the caster's boots are worth d100 gold pieces) to useful (next creature touched is fully healed) to potentially world-shattering (next body of water touched turns to magma), but there are enough options the GM can just reroll a campaign-breaking option and get something quirky. It's certainly more interesting than the base game's options.

Here's my character, Dragonborn Fiend Warlock who won an imp's soul in a game of poker. I plan for him to multiclass into Bard later.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Truly, the charisma is strong with this group. We should form a band - maybe death metal? Call ourselves the Bhaalspawn.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    May I ask why the race is not approved? Tonal issue, or a mechanical issue, or something else?
    Bit of both honestly. Little offput by the flight but tonally it's a bit weird too.

Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    Here's a start for a Hill Dwarf Rogue. Currently thinking of him having been a stablehand to ease the transition into the Scout archetype. Any objection to trading in the shortbow and arrows from starting equipment for a sling and some bullets?
    S'fine.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Bit of both honestly. Little offput by the flight but tonally it's a bit weird too.
    Fair. What sort of tone ARE you going for? I don't feel like any PHB or Volo's race, but I don't want to brew more stuff if it'll clash tonally.

Edit: Okay, I made a new race! (Well, new to 5E.) The Undine!

Planning on being a Shepherd Druid Neried Undine.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-03-23 at 06:12 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Presenting, Vyvian Just apprentice santa/robin hood.

Haven't selected my languages because I'm not sure what's useful in this setting or what other people will have so I'll probably wait on that till after party members are selected.
    If the other rogue also gets in the game I might switch expertise in thieves' tools to something else so they can be lead on that for a while and leave picking it up until level 6 or maybe never. *shrug*

One of the items from my background is "a map of the city you grew up in". Would it be reasonable for that to be Baldur's Gate? If not, is there another city it could reasonably be that we might go to?

It's a shame I couldn't manage to afford Studded Leather to start with so I could say the armor she has was a gift she got. (Because obviously I'm not going to cripple my character by refusing to switch off of mechanically inferior armor. But the picture's armor is so nice it certainly doesn't look like something you'd just buy off the shelf.)

I'm hoping the game goes on at least a few levels beyond what the GM said they expect because I've never really experienced higher level rogue stuff. Though that's a concern for a long time from now I suppose.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ye, we have quite a bit of charisma around. I WAS going to build a bard (Candlekeep plus independent spirit SCREAMS bard after all) but going the "murder-happy" road down towards fighter is also something that feels appropriate. Still on the fence, I got to think. Maybe just a plain old boring wizard. Well, young wizard, that is.

By the by, in order to maintain a somewhat consistent tone of game: Are we going for the rather grim tone of the main quest line (plus BG 2 and ToB) or a much more light-hearted approach (Noober, the whole lot of BG 1's voice acting, incredibly silly evil companions). Plus, would you actually assume we share an alignment?

e: Mulled the submissions so far over. Bard it is. Are you fine with Dragonborn?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As is tradition, a table to assist organization.

Player Character Race Class Background
    Omoikane13 Guinevere Elderflower
    or Ezra Helleborne
    High Elf
    or Variant Human
    Wizard
    or Warlock
    Cloistered Scholar
    or Charlatan
    Kalashak Dumpling Ghostwise Halfling Monk Guild Artisan (Cook)
    Demon 997 Hexblade Warlock/(Planned Paladin)
    Awful Archery Fighter
    Kurokaze Amandil Lindale Half-Elf Bard Couldn't find where it was on the sheet, sorry
    gryffydd65 Maldread Half-Orc Barbarian Couldn't find where it was on the sheet, sorry
    Jaryn Ander Raventide Human Ranger Folk Hero
    WhismurWanders Harbek Dankil Hill Dwarf Rogue Stable Hand
    ProudGrognard Aintas Human Fighter Outlander
    JNAProductions Nereid Undine Druid
    Ramsus Vyvian Just Half-Elf Rogue (Planned Swashbuckler) Urchin
    RandomWombat Cheerful Sam Brass Dragonborn Fiend Warlock/(Planned Bard) Acolyte of Bahamut
    Spore Dragonborn Bard
    Luccan Half-Elf Wild Mage Sorcerer
    Player Character Race Class Background

Edit: Looking at the post, Warlock is in the lead with 3, Bard is in second at 2.5, and Rogue and Fighter tie at 2 each.
    I think I missed the wild mage somewhere too, will go grab them right now.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-03-23 at 07:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm changing my archetype, not sure to what yet

Edit: I'm wavering between Divine Soul and Storm. On the one hand, bigger spell list. On the other, I get to say "I am the storm". Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-03-23 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Well I did not realize how many people were signing up when I made Tuyet, bugbear barbarian Outlander.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    You can trust her to be completely insane; and probably to backstab you.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Question, are Dragonborn around canonically at this point in the timeline?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

I've never played Baldur's Gate, but I've always heard good things about the story. I keep meaning to go back to play it, but there always seem to be other games to play. This seems to be a great way to be introduced to the story.

Here is my submission, Granthum Shieldhaven, Dwarven cleric of Moradin.

Spoiler: Short Background
    Show

Granthum has lived at Candlekeep for as long as he can remember, which eventually became a source of some annoyance for him. As a child, he always wondered what his people were like, and while he was able to gather a lot from the books in the libraries, he still felt a sense of being disconnected. That changed when Brother Grimnar came to the keep to serve as a smith. Brother Grimnar was a hill dwarf like Granthum, and was able to share much about Granthum's people's culture and religion with him. While Gorion would always be like a father to Granthum, Grimnar was like a favorite uncle. During Gorion's many trips away from the keep, Granthum spent many hours learning the ways of the forge.

Granthum listened to many stories as Grimnar pounded away at the forge, history, religion, it all interested Granthum. While Granthum didn't have much of a head for facts, he tries to share what he as learned thinking others should be equally interested. When they aren't or when they choose not to live up to Moradin's ideals, Granthum can get a bit annoyed.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Question, are Dragonborn around canonically at this point in the timeline?
    I believe they canonically arrive en masse at about 100 years from now. So any Dragonborn would be highly unusual.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    I believe they canonically arrive en masse at about 100 years from now. So any Dragonborn would be highly unusual.
    Half-Dragons were always a thing though as far as I know. So that'd be one way to do that.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

I mean Throne of Bhaal has a few dragons. We could rule that Dragonborn are dragons locked into their humanoid form. To make them a bit less remarkable, we could use human(oid) base forms. Though that feels like just picking human and going Draconic Sorcerer.

But I am fine with using a classic race to maintain the feel of an AD&D adventure.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Fair. What sort of tone ARE you going for? I don't feel like any PHB or Volo's race, but I don't want to brew more stuff if it'll clash tonally.

Edit: Okay, I made a new race! (Well, new to 5E.) The Undine!

Planning on being a Shepherd Druid Neried Undine.
    Looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    By the by, in order to maintain a somewhat consistent tone of game: Are we going for the rather grim tone of the main quest line (plus BG 2 and ToB) or a much more light-hearted approach (Noober, the whole lot of BG 1's voice acting, incredibly silly evil companions). Plus, would you actually assume we share an alignment?

e: Mulled the submissions so far over. Bard it is. Are you fine with Dragonborn?
    Mostly focusing on main quest stuff, though I'm sure I can mix some lighthearted stuff along the way.

Dragonborn weren't around but if you want to use the mechanics of the 5e DB and just say they're a half-dragon for fluff I'd be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    One of the items from my background is "a map of the city you grew up in". Would it be reasonable for that to be Baldur's Gate? If not, is there another city it could reasonably be that we might go to?
    Totally fine to have a map of BG.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Are HP rolled, or do we take average?

Currently Recruiting: Beware Of Bites!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dragonborn weren't around but if you want to use the mechanics of the 5e DB and just say they're a half-dragon for fluff I'd be fine with that.
    Copy, I've edited out specific references to Dragonborn and made it half-dragon instead.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm noticing a distinct lack of divine magic in the submissions. I think I'll work on a cleric when I get back from my car appointment. I've played extensive amounts of BG2, but never put much time in BG1, so this sounds like an interesting exploration for me.

EDIT- DM, what do you think of the Firbolg race? I'm not married to the idea, but playing a gentle giant sounds like a good time.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-24 at 11:34 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

I did apply with a cleric, just not added to the big list yet, and I think someone else had a druid and paladin on there if I remember right. So we aren't completely lacking on that front, but it is a little light.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    I did apply with a cleric, just not added to the big list yet, and I think someone else had a druid and paladin on there if I remember right. So we aren't completely lacking on that front, but it is a little light.
    Huh sorry about that. I'm juggling the idea of a cleric or paladin, but didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I guess in a game with this many submissions that's pretty much impossible.
    The Bear is Back.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Totally fine to have a map of BG.

@purepolarpanzer: For the love of the gods don't make another Chr character.
    Or do and we're actually going to be obligated to start a band like someone else mentioned before. *shrug*
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-24 at 11:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by purepolarpanzer View Post
    Huh sorry about that. I'm juggling the idea of a cleric or paladin, but didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I guess in a game with this many submissions that's pretty much impossible.
    I didn't mean to imply that you would be stepping on toes. You're absolutely right with a game drawing this much interest having repeated classes is pretty much inevitable. I just wanted to point out there were a few divines already out there, so you didn't need to feel obligated to fill that role.

30. - Top - End - #60

I decided to change things up and go with a classical wood elf druid. I do have a question for the DM though. Is there any way I can talk/bribe my way into getting a long bow? Elf makes me proficient with it, and at least for the first few levels I'd like to use that and save my cantrips for more utility spells.

EDIT- Is the outlander background approved if the character spent all those years in Candlekeep reading nature tomes and studying survival texts, even if they have not gotten to practice them much? And last question, I promise, is it possible to start the game with a pet? Not an animal companion, but a pet that Gorion might have gotten for the kid to shut them up about venturing into the outside world? I'm thinking a bunny.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-24 at 03:04 PM.
    The Bear is Back.