Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: How come Aarindarius didnít warn Vaarsuvius against hir specialization choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    Well, sure, but if we're doing the "because of author reasons" explanations, teleportation seems like the big thing. Though I would agree that drawing a lot of summoned creatures would probably be a nuisance, but it's pretty minor against teleportation, which would be story-breaking in a lot of ways. The OP was looking for in-universe explanations though, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsOnly View Post
    *hamtastically*: Thank You!
    To be fair a laundry list of explanations have been given:

If I mess up the credits I apologize in advance.

1. Screwed during the 3.5e update in comic one - first proposed by Fyraltari
    2. V and A don't care about optimization - Morty
    3. A was an evoker thus taught V to be one - CriticalFailure
    4. Mechanically Evocation is arguably underrated - TRH
    5. It is an assumption to say, "D&D standards of optimization is the correct, rational decision," shouldn't make that assumption for Oots necessarily - Morty
    6. V wants to make the explosions - hroĢila (or stated otherwise "Haha, Evocation magic goes boom" - Quebbster)
    7. V enjoys evocation and not conjuration. Like how someone enjoys a job despite less pay - Morgaln
    8. A assumed there field was best despite evidence to the contrary i.e. arrogance - Grey Watcher
    9. Statistics. Evocation can be specialized in, given enough wizards someone did it why not A and V - Myself
    10. V is optimized in a way different than your definition or optimized for different tasks - Myself
    11. V's ego, wanted ultimate arcane power, evocation makes them arcane power manifest - One Step Two
    12. Everything is balanced in Oots - Kish
    13. "Also, if you're comparing V to real-life players - plenty of real-life players play "unoptimized" characters." - Kelenius (not really a reason but I thought it was a good quote)
    14. V initially wields magic like a cudgel, is now stuck with those poor decisions - Lavaeolus
    15. Gain joy and intellectual stimulation from Evocation - Hawk 7915
    16. Maybe Blaster Mages are just popular in Oots - RMS Oceanic
    17. A did to tell V, but evocation makes V happy - littlebum2002
    18. Maybe the best wizard optimization isn't a widely known thing - Myself
    19. A uses evocation in a scenario where it is the optimal choice - Grey Wolf
    20. V and A find conjuration BORING - rgrekejin
    21. Karmic punishment of optimizers/munchkins (example half-ogre chainfighter) - woweedd

There were a lot of tweaks and slight rewordings of all of these arguments. Heck a lot in the list are closely related. Not all of these fully answer the question, but they can be matched with other options to provide a satisfactory explanation. At this point OnlyMunchkins should really just accept one or realize they won't get a satisfactory answer and just accept its a necessity of the story to keep teleportation out of Oots hands.

Its better conjuration being a barred school than some arbitrary reason V can't teleport. Imagine that. Oh look yet another magic store that does not possess Teleport spell books. Oh boy another strip where the teleport page gets ripped out of V's spell book, how hilarious.
    Last edited by Crixus33; 2020-04-13 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: How come Aarindarius didnít warn Vaarsuvius against hir specialization choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
    Its better conjuration being a barred school than some arbitrary reason V can't teleport. Imagine that. Oh look yet another magic store that does not possess Teleport spell books. Oh boy another strip where the teleport page gets ripped out of V's spell book, how hilarious.
    I will guess that the booster pack problem can only be resorted to now and again, right?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-04-13 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I will guess that the booster pack problem can only be resorted to now and again, right?
    New theory: Wizards are balanced by mtg style card rarity. All the best Conjuration spells are mythic Holo-rares. All the best evocation spells are commons. Packs are too expensive to bet your specialization on rare loot so its safer to go with evocation where at least you'll get spells for your specialization. Even fits with the whole conjuration spells are the best, ergo high rarity, and evocation spells are the worst, hence common trash.

Make that option 22.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New theory: Wizards are balanced by mtg style card rarity. All the best Conjuration spells are mythic Holo-rares. All the best evocation spells are commons. Packs are too expensive to bet your specialization on rare loot so its safer to go with evocation where at least you'll get spells for your specialization. Even fits with the whole conjuration spells are the best, ergo high rarity, and evocation spells are the worst, hence common trash.

Make that option 22.
    Possible.
    Although judging by the evocation boosters you can buy school-specific spells.
    But the conjuration ones probably contain such useful spells like "Summon Cocktail"* or "Wall of Bread"**.

*Glass not included. Cocktail appears at a random spot within 20 feet on caster. Cocktail is also random.
    **Bread is several weeks old. You'll loose your teeth if you eat this. Doesn't make a great wall either.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-04-14 at 12:34 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der tršumenden BŁcher")

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

I know Rich doesn't like people modifying the comic, so I won't, but I really think the last 4 panels of Everyone Hates Goodbye Scenes would be appropriate here

OP: Oh Man! I can't believe there is no in-universe justification for V picking Evocation as their specialty!

Crisux33: Well, you could just look. We literally have 21 plausible in-universe explanations for this

*picture of forum post listing the incredibly large amount of explanations

OP, completely ignoring everything but themselves: Will we never find a reason?!?

Crisux33: P.S. Actually, there are 22 reasons.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-04-14 at 05:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

There is an actual amount of comedic potential that could be derived here. V could have trouble recognizing places and the Order could end up in the homelands of Fruit Pie the Sorcerer, V could be given a map with no bearing in real world geography(a la 8-bit Theatre) and end up at a beach(a bunch of sand, next to water, a hot sun), V could even misspeak and cast Tell-a-pork!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

There is an actual amount of comedic potential that could be derived here. V could have trouble recognizing places and the Order could end up in the homelands of Fruit Pie the Sorcerer, V could be given a map with no bearing in real world geography(a la 8-bit Theatre) and end up at a beach(a bunch of sand, next to water, a hot sun), V could even misspeak and cast Tell-a-pork!
    So how is your webcomic coming along? You seem to have a lot of ideas for it at least.
    Anyway, this doesn't sound like the sort of joke the Giant would like to make due to his dislike of teleportation for story reasons. It definitely seems more convoluted to give V access to Teleport and then come up with various reasons why Teleport can't be used right now instead of just banning Teleport from V's spell list.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

V could have trouble recognizing places
    Hey, that could be the 23rd reason!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I'm having very specific flashbacks to a Miko thread where someone lamented that the Giant 'failed' to give Roy and Miko a Sam and Diane will-they-or-won't-they relationship for hundreds of strips.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I'm having very specific flashbacks to a Miko thread where someone lamented that the Giant 'failed' to give Roy and Miko a Sam and Diane will-they-or-won't-they relationship for hundreds of strips.
    Did Cheers have a lot of dismembering explosions? I have only watched the odd episode here and there.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Did Cheers have a lot of dismembering explosions? I have only watched the odd episode here and there.
    They were more common once Frasier Crane was introduced.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Did Cheers have a lot of dismembering explosions?
    Just Norm's occasional beer farts.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Just Norm's occasional beer farts.
    Ya know, Cliff actually explained those.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Hey, that could be the 23rd reason!
    "Listen kid, as long as you get lost walking down a straight corridor you are better off not learning teleportation magic."
    ~Aarindarius talking to V about their lesson plan
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der tršumenden BŁcher")