1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS #1196 - The Discussion Thread

So are we hating on Eugene again?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar has never had any problems with sharing the food he cooks with other people, really. Pretty sure “cooking” comes right after “stabbing” and “taking care of Mr. Scruffy” on his list of favorite things to do.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I just wanted to add that the Comic title is really great, just as the Comic itself.

best regards,
    Thomas

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    This is all either wrong or irrelevant. There is such a thing as "classic folklore," as distinct from "modern fantasy," and I hope I don't have to defend this fairly obvious position. The rest is true, but irrelevant. Different words imply different things about functionally similar characters. To pick an obvious example, a priest and a druid might both be able to screw up evil spirits, but they're fundamentally different types of legendary characters.
    Sure, one legend probably wouldn't have both priests and druids, but IIRC, "wizard," "sorcerer," and "warlock" all came from different cultures with subtly different understandings of magicians and the supernatural.

Also, thanks for cutting out the part where I explained that I wasn't saying that wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks had clearly-defined differences in classic folklore. Thanks for making me look like a moron!
    You might want to tone down the aggression here, Wyrm, no-one is attacking you.
    And I maintain that "subtly different understandings" and "technically different" doesn't mean anything. all these words are used to describe strange people with supernatural powers. At most some of them cast the charcter as a vilain.

There's a big difference between being good and being evil.
    Let's take an example I'm confident everyone will agree with. There's this guy who fights for the good of his people, but also kinda doesn't care about anyone else. In fact, he wants to kill or enslave most of them, and acts on that desire. That's right, I'm talking about Magneto. Magneto acts good towards mutants, and evil towards non-mutants. Is Magneto good or evil? If you say he's only evil because he wants to kill/enslave a majority of humanity, what about the reverse situation?
    Magneto is evil. magneto is also good. It all depends on what whoever is writing Magneto feels about him and is using him for.

People are not good nor evil actions are. Trying to cast judgement on someone's entire life, motivations and values is doomed to failure, and frankly, pointless.

It's incorrect to say that a single Evil deed prevents you from ever being Good...but it's easier for evil acts to make an otherwise good person evil than vise versa. There's a reason they call it "the straight and narrow".
    I refer you back to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The thing is, doing the right thing is in no way harder than doing the wrong thing but nobody asks the question unless the wrong thing happens to be the easier thing so people get the impression that being good is hard.
    There have also been people who make a living convincing people that they cannot be good on their own and need to listen to them or else... And that’s all I will say on that particular subtopic.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-03-24 at 03:43 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    Holy Crap. Is Belkar actually passing the Celestia alignment test?

Belkar's trying.
    I guess you could say that he's getting to a...Good Place!
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I still don't understand that, what does that have to do with the girdle of femininity/masculinity?
    Just because multitasking is associated with females. What justification that has, IDK.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

There's just one problem with Belkar cooking: he's really bad at it. He has points in the Profession (gourmet chef) skill, which means he can cook in "a fully stocked professional kitchen". They're on the road on a pirate ship far from any towns where they could get ingredients. To cook there, you need the Survival skill, and Belkar hasn't invested in that at all. The ship's cook can cook better meals than him. Even if Durkon uses a spell to summon "mass-conjured pseudo-food packed with artificial ingredients, it will taste better than what Belkar makes. (Except perhaps when Belkar makes food for Mr. Scruffy or Bloodfeast, because it's possible that those use his Handle Animal skill.)
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-03-24 at 06:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Wait, I thought Roy couldn't remember specifics about when he was dead.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Just because multitasking is associated with females. What justification that has, IDK.
    If that’s what that actually meant, that is in no way any sort of callback, because not only is multitasking not particularly feminine, it’s super wrong to say that the only way a dude could do it is to become a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysar View Post
    Wait, I thought Roy couldn't remember specifics about when he was dead.
    He remembers no specifics of the mountain but he does remember what happened on the cloud, which is where that conversation happened.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    There's just one problem with Belkar cooking: he's really bad at it. He has points in the Profession (gourmet chef) skill, which means he can cook in "a fully stocked professional kitchen". They're on the road on a pirate ship far from any towns where they could get ingredients. To cook there, you need the Survival skill, and Belkar hasn't invested in that at all. The ship's cook can cook better meals than him. Even if Durkon uses a spell to summon "mass-conjured pseudo-food packed with artificial ingredients, it will taste better than what Belkar makes. (Except perhaps when Belkar makes food for Mr. Scruffy or Bloodfeast, because it's possible that those use his Handle Animal skill.)
    uhh. Where you linked "ship's cook", that looked like a fully stocked professional kitchen to me.

Not a hundred percent if you're being serious or facetious here.

Presumably Belkar likes what he makes for himself even if it's not amazing.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2020-03-24 at 07:49 AM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar cooked tropical birds that weren’t even intended for eating, and Haley seemed to like it. He’s got spices which I think gives a +2 circumstantial bonus to the check. I’d also mention the MitD liking his vulture stew, but we know that guy’s standards are so low(despite his claims to the contrary) you’d probably have to start from the Underdark and then start digging deeper so it doesn’t count. He’s good enough for his culinary knowledge to serve as a replacement for Survival checks on a friggin’ Semi-Elemental Plane, even if it was one of Ranch Dressing! He’s probably better than anyone posting here on this thread at the very least!

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Belkar has never had any problems with sharing the food he cooks with other people, really. Pretty sure “cooking” comes right after “stabbing” and “taking care of Mr. Scruffy” on his list of favorite things to do.
    "Cooking" means preparing food. "For others" is not an integral part.

He didn't share those sandwiches he made, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    There's just one problem with Belkar cooking: he's really bad at it. He has points in the Profession (gourmet chef) skill
    That kind of implies he's not really bad at it.

Also, it's not like I can outcook Gordon Ramsey in a galley.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    "Cooking" means preparing food. "For others" is not an integral part.

He didn't share those sandwiches he made, for example.
    Well okay, but I was talking more about the “how good is he at cooking” part in that quote.

And honestly, the DC for making sandwiches is probably in the negatives.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

No, Belkar is not trying to become LG, or to affect his alignment at all. He is pretending to have character growth.

That "faking sincerity" thing is pretty useful too

In this case, he pretended to have character growth by faking a sincere interest in Vaarsuvius's welfare, but dropped it too soon to be believable.

No, he is not trying to have actual character growth. [He's having character growth, because we tend to slowly become more like the thing we are pretending to be, but he's not trying to grow; he's trying to fake growth.]

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    Well, Belkar is trying at least. That's a lot coming from Belkar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    Oh Belkar, at least he trying which is a marked improvement for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    Belkar's trying.
    Yes, Belkar is trying.

Very, very trying.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Given that he’s been using cinnamon, I’m guessing they don’t flavour the porridge sufficiently for his liking.
    No true halfling would eat his porridge without cinnamon ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Incidentally, I bet on chili. It's hearty, hot and good for cold temperatures and, yes, good recipes of it take some cinnamon.
    I agree that cinnamon is often a good spice in chili. I make a vegetarian black bean chili every Lent for our suppers at church; and a touch of cinnamon is included. (One must not overdo it, IME, or it may overwhelm the dish).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Everyone is being so nice to each other. Something terrible must be about to happen!
    +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Curious to see how the Greenhilt family drama plays out.
    What drama?
    Eugene: dead. Sara: Dead. Eric: Dead. Roy: Alive, was once dead. Julia: alive.

Eugene is hardly an antagonist for the epic tale; he's a dad (imperfect of course, as are most characters in this story) and he's on Roy's side vis a vis "Xykon needs to die/be stopped." Rich has chosen to portray one form of internal conflict in OoTS as 'daddy issues' for both Haley and Roy, and for Elan in a different style with that "twins separated" thing.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-03-24 at 10:21 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Elan had plenty of daddy issues himself, didn’t he?

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    No true halfling would eat his porridge without cinnamon ...
    But would he put sugar on it? And does it make any difference if it is cinnamon sugar?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    But would he put sugar on it? And does it make any difference if it is cinnamon sugar?
    Aaww, man, now we need to check out the various halfling splat books for 3e and 3.5e to figure this out ... arrgghh!
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-03-24 at 11:12 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Well, 3.5e’s book on the topic would be Races of the Wild. Not sure about 3.0e, though.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #110

It occurs to me that as soon as Xykon is finished off, the Blood Oath is fulfilled, Eugene scarpers off to his final destination... and Roy and Julia lose their communication. That may be an important loss of information, for whatever is left to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Curupira View Post
    I misread it as CATNIP and thought things were really dire in the ship to make the gourmet chef ask for catnip as food seasoning.
    It's a member of the mint family and has a kind-of-minty taste. It could be used in cookery for humanoids. And it's not implausible that Belkar is preparing something for Mr. Scruffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    A long term, high functioning sociopath would not call attention to the fact that he's screwed up that way.
    Thing is, everyone around him already knows that he's screwed up that way. What he just said has the downside of reminding people about it, but the upside of showing that he's working on it.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Firbolg in the Playground

That response from Belkar is something many real people I know would actually give (except without the magic part).
    Last edited by 137beth; 2020-03-24 at 12:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Can we keep the textspeak out of the comics, please? "Moreso" is not a word in English.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    Can we keep the textspeak out of the comics, please? "Moreso" is not a word in English.
    Pretty sure "moreso" has been a word in English longer than "textspeak" has. Moreso, it's obviously a word in Common....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    I'm sorry, but in the interest of retaining language purity, I only respond to comments made in the original gutteral grunts and groans.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Pretty sure "moreso" has been a word in English longer than "textspeak" has. Moreso, it's obviously a word in Common....
    This cites an example almost 200 years old.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    This cites an example almost 200 years old.
    Those dastardly 19th century authors and their smartphones! :shakes fist:

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I thought Roy didn't remember anything from when he was dead. Just a glow.

Isn't he supposed to insult Julia? And Julia insults him back? I thought we had established that is what passes for an expression of affection in their screwed-up family?
    Last edited by Finagle; 2020-03-24 at 01:31 PM.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    I thought Roy didn't remember anything from when he was dead. Just a glow.
    I think that was just whatever happened on the mountain proper. He said he can remember the clouds parts pretty well, but the mountain itself is a big, happy blur.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-03-24 at 01:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Lizardfolk

It appears that being dead isn't what causes memory loss (as strange as that may sound), but the afterlife itself. The cloudzone is not the actual afterlife, it's the lobby in which you wait to be sorted into the appropriate final destination.

I think this has come up before.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Well, Belkar is... certainly making an attempt, at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Roy got Eugene to agree to never visit the family once he finally (presumably) gets into Celestia. Eugene agreed, one might say worryingly quickly.
    I feel like Roy not managing to tell Julia that almost has to be a plot point because Chekhov, but I can't figure out how

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    In Belkar's defense, he will likely share whatever delectable meal he makes.

Incidentally, I bet on chili. It's hearty, hot and good for cold temperatures and, yes, good recipes of it take some cinnamon.
    For breakfast, though? I mean, I'll eat chili anytime, but it's not really typical breakfast fare...
    Personally, I'm betting on French toast.
    Last edited by Elenna; 2020-03-24 at 03:57 PM.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!