New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1196 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    True. But consider that A: the Oracle is used to being brutally murdered, to the point of having an auto-rez squad (see following assertion that his next death will be a brutal mauling via angry druid).
    I don't know if I'd call that "used to it." And even then, that doesn't mean he wouldn't take pleasure in the guy who killed him himself getting offed soon.
    And B: has he ever given a straight prophecy with no twist?
    Eugene's. Roy's regarding where Xykon was. Roy's regarding where Xykon was going to be first. Haley's. Elan's. V's Blackwing's. Belkar's. The Adult Black Dragon's.

Come to think of it, only Durkon's was a twist, because he wasn't an inanimate corpse like we all thought he would be. So one. One had a twist.
    I'd be disappointed if this one was just simple and straight. Could just be me, though.
    Think of it this way: is there any way the Oracle could have phrased the prophecy that you would accept Belkar would definitely die, and there be no way to twist the words into something other than Belkar dying? Because so far, the Oracle has said that he wasn't long for this world, should savor his next birthday cake, shouldn't bother funding his IRA, and would draw his last breath ever before the end of the year. All together, that sounds pretty definitive. Even if the Oracle said "Belkar Bitterleaf will die permanently," one could still make the metaphorical argument.

The Oracle doesn't tend to give prophecies that have twists. The Oracle does tend to give prophecies that are unhelpful. He does this to humanoids, and he also openly exhibits a marked disdain for humanoids, and Belkar in particular (or, at least, for the Order of the Stick specifically, and Belkar in particular).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-03-25 at 05:56 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Come to think of it, only Durkon's was a twist, because he wasn't an inanimate corpse like we all thought he would be. So one. One had a twist.
    I object: It happened after Durkon died and Durkon was (still) dead; so there was no twist in saying it would happen "posthumously".

Like the rest of the Oracle's prophecies, there are no twists in the meaning of the words; only in the context/expectations of when they come true.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    Strip 1194.
    "Never gave a damn what they thought before..." (clear implication that he has been caring what they think)
    I don't see how you could possibly think the quote implies that Belkar has started caring about what other people think about him, given that the very next thing he says is that he's not going to start caring about what other people think about him.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2020-03-25 at 06:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    But it doesn't predate the first time we see the Oracle snark about Belkar's short lifespan.

That is basically all he's given. Why do you think otherwise? (I see others replied first. Basically this, and hey, let's bookend this post with Jasdoif quotes why not:

I object: It happened after Durkon died and Durkon was (still) dead; so there was no twist in saying it would happen "posthumously".

Like the rest of the Oracle's prophecies, there are no twists in the meaning of the words; only in the context/expectations of when they come true.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    The biggest mark against it (or, the hardest-to-argue-against for proponents) is a simple "why would the Oracle take such delight in gloating over the guy who killed him not getting any comeuppance at all?"
    No comeuppance? What about the Mark of Justice and the village of "Lickmyballshalfling"?
    That predated Belkar's "last breath ever" prophecy.
    But it doesn't predate the first time we see the Oracle snark about Belkar's short lifespan.
    True; but like I think Peelee might be getting at, there's not much sense to the Oracle deciding to start equivocating precisely when people don't want to believe what he's saying lying if the only comeuppance Belkar is actually going to get is what Roy had already witnessed.

6. - Top - End - #156

Eh, I have a tendency to cede arguable points in favor of the opposition, if only to make my own argument seem that much stronger due to holding even in the opposition's best possible case scenario.
    True; but like I think Peelee might be getting at, there's not much sense to the Oracle deciding to start equivocating precisely when people don't want to believe what he's saying lying if the only comeuppance Belkar is actually going to get is what Roy had already witnessed.
    ....yyyyyes, I am indeed arguing intelligently and meant that all along!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    No, Belkar is not trying to become LG, or to affect his alignment at all. He is pretending to have character growth.

That "faking sincerity" thing is pretty useful too

In this case, he pretended to have character growth by faking a sincere interest in Vaarsuvius's welfare, but dropped it too soon to be believable.

No, he is not trying to have actual character growth. [He's having character growth, because we tend to slowly become more like the thing we are pretending to be, but he's not trying to grow; he's trying to fake growth.]
    I feel like Belkar stopped trying to fake growth awhile ago (in real time); now he's actively trying to improve and is just bad at it because those kind of changes take actual time. But, yes, the reason he even got to the point to try and sincerely change at all is because his fake character growth jump started real growth.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

8. - Top - End - #158

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yay! Belkar's trying! I'm not sure this is the the most important thing to work on, but he's still trying!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

In fact, I'm pretty sure the idea that the prophecy could mean Durkon returned home as an undead and brought death and destruction that way was suggested by people right back when it was first made, albeit they thought he would be an undead raised by Xykon rather than a vampire.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I mean, isn't that basically what a twist is? A subversion of expectations, leading someone (such as Durkon) to expect one thing while in reality meaning something else entirely?

A twist isn't a wrong prophecy, it's just not a very helpful one, because it leads the recipient to expect something other than the true outcome. And that's what happened with Durkon.

So yeah, I don't necessarily have a problem with believing that The Oracle can give prophecies that may not be straightforward. If there were a plausible way in which Belkar's prophecy could be read that didn't lead to him dying, I'd consider it. That said, unless he's going to be imprisoned in a small cell in the Astral Plane forever, I don't see how any plausible interpretation could leave him alive.

I guess it's possible that the prophecy could have intentionally been false, given by Tiamat to The Oracle in order to ensure that the Order tolerates Belkar long enough for him to be instrumental in saving the multiverse from The Snarl. That said, I don't see Roy abandoning or killing Belkar even without the knowledge that he's going to die soon, so that's not a very compelling theory.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I don't see how you could possibly think the quote implies that Belkar has started caring about what other people think about him, given that the very next thing he says is that he's not going to start caring about what other people think about him.
    Since Minrah explicitly tells him ~"you have permission to change and not be held back by worrying about what people think about that change" literally in the preceding sentence?

Notice that I've also cherry picked the least favorable interpretation of Belkar in the last thread, too. He could have just rolled that thing about the cinnamon because he's flustered at V's "yeah ****ing right" reaction to ~"glad you're back safely," because it's an unspoken "what's your angle now, you evil scum?" So he provided one and trying to be better and having that rejected hurts.
    Last edited by happycrow; 2020-03-26 at 04:23 PM. Reason: (cleaning up double-post)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post

I mean, isn't that basically what a twist is? A subversion of expectations, leading someone (such as Durkon) to expect one thing while in reality meaning something else entirely?
    That's the general family of "plot twists", yes.

It's a big family, however. "Literally true with unexpected context" is different from "figuratively true with expected context", "lying", "reasonably true if under different context", and "obviated by the author".

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not saying Belkar is/isn't planning to share now, but he did share his rations with Elan (and possibly Roy and Haley) in one of the DCF bonus strips.

The spice was a finite quantity exotic substance that Belkar may never see again. It also may have been wildly addictive. The sandwhich was after an extended period of not eating/digesting properly.

I'd guess Belkar not sharing is like lying. He'd do it if he has something to gain, can hurt someone, just to be funny, or if he just forgets. But he doesn't have a principled stance against sharing. That pound of cinnamon flavored oats is going to be more than Belkar can eat in a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    But would he put sugar on it? And does it make any difference if it is cinnamon sugar?
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.

DO you mean a sugar/cinnamon mix or sugar magically re-flavored to cinnamon?
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Eugene is hardly an antagonist for the epic tale
    He's absolutely not the antagonist of the story. But consider this, how many stories are in an epic?

Classically, an epic is several related stories told in sequence. The modern epic tends to have stories going in parallel as well (note the kajillion settings in Game of Thrones). When one breaks an epic down into enough sub stories, one can clearly see the have different styles, subjects, and even genres.

One of the many sub stories is the Greenhilt family drama. Eugene obviously doesn't fit the mold of "standard fantasy villain", but he can be a low-key antagonist for a low-key sub-story.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Remember: antagonist does not mean "villain".

15. - Top - End - #165
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Think of it this way: is there any way the Oracle could have phrased the prophecy that you would accept Belkar would definitely die, and there be no way to twist the words into something other than Belkar dying? Because so far, the Oracle has said that he wasn't long for this world, should savor his next birthday cake, shouldn't bother funding his IRA, and would draw his last breath ever before the end of the year. All together, that sounds pretty definitive. Even if the Oracle said "Belkar Bitterleaf will die permanently," one could still make the metaphorical argument.

The Oracle doesn't tend to give prophecies that have twists. The Oracle does tend to give prophecies that are unhelpful. He does this to humanoids, and he also openly exhibits a marked disdain for humanoids, and Belkar in particular (or, at least, for the Order of the Stick specifically, and Belkar in particular).
    These are also not prophecies as in "paid for products". These are his ramblings about things that he learnt from seeing future that no-one asked about.

Even if the Oracle intentionally phrased the prophecies to be ambigous, unclear, or misleading, Belkar's death is something he mentions in casual conversation with the expectation that everyone else will forget the information upon leaving the valley.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hekko View Post
    These are also not prophecies as in "paid for products". These are his ramblings about things that he learnt from seeing future that no-one asked about.

Even if the Oracle intentionally phrased the prophecies to be ambigous, unclear, or misleading, Belkar's death is something he mentions in casual conversation with the expectation that everyone else will forget the information upon leaving the valley.
    Except for comic #572, where the oracle even pulled out his prophecy mode

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Hekko View Post

Ya know, as much as I hammer on that being the only reason for the memory charm, I've never even thought about that aspect of it. Kudos!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    DO you mean a sugar/cinnamon mix or sugar magically re-flavored to cinnamon?
    I intended a sugar/cinnamon mix, but the other sounds fine too. Either one. Will a True Halfling put sugar on his porridge if it is mixed with cinnamon, or if it is flavored like cinnamon.

Both legitimate questions about the nature of true halflingdom.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I intended a sugar/cinnamon mix, but the other sounds fine too. Either one. Will a True Halfling put sugar on his porridge if it is mixed with cinnamon, or if it is flavored like cinnamon.

Both legitimate questions about the nature of true halflingdom.
    Sugar and cinnamon, accept no substitutes!

Also butter.
    Check out the guys at MitD's thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I still need to trim it down based on publication date, etc., but for now, it's a start.
    It has almost 21k monsters at the moment.
    ... who says we've run out of monsters to check?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a big family, however. "Literally true with unexpected context" is different from "figuratively true with expected context", "lying", "reasonably true if under different context", and "obviated by the author".
    So you're saying it wasn't a twist even though it fits in the definition of the word "twist"?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lheticus View Post
    So has the "Belkar's prophesied 'death' is metaphorical" camp gained any more traction with this and other recent strips?
    The self-delusional hard line hasn't really moved in the past several years, no.
    The biggest mark against it (or, the hardest-to-argue-against for proponents) is a simple "why would the Oracle take such delight in gloating over the guy who killed him not getting any comeuppance at all?"
    No comeuppance? What about the Mark of Justice and the village of "Lickmyballshalfling"?
    The Oracle was brutally murdered and Belkar was sick for a week. Yeah, I'm sure the Oracle considers it even.

No clue how long Belkar was out for, actually.

So you're saying it wasn't a twist even though it fits in the definition of the word "twist"?
    Pretty sure I'm saying that twisting a twist as another kind of twist is just twisted. Much like manually assembling an eleven-layer quote to establish the context of the conversation....

The "metaphorical death" scenario would require the Oracle to abruptly break his pattern of "literally true with unexpected context" twists that's he's been doing consistently all along. Even if the Oracle is capable of doing it, I've yet to see any evidence nor reason for the Oracle to go through with it.

22. - Top - End - #172

You're really having fun with nesting quotes this week. This one approaches art.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You're really having fun with nesting quotes this week. This one approaches art.
    Even cosmic knowledge fish need an occasional reminder of what they were saying; and this week has been rather turbulent, and this conversation rather branchy o_o

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Pretty sure I'm saying that twisting a twist as another kind of twist is just twisted. Much like manually assembling an eleven-layer quote to establish the context of the conversation....

The "metaphorical death" scenario would require the Oracle to abruptly break his pattern of "literally true with unexpected context" twists that's he's been doing consistently all along. Even if the Oracle is capable of doing it, I've yet to see any evidence nor reason for the Oracle to go through with it.
    I'm not sure the Oracle has a pattern in his prophecies. Which other prophecies were "literally true with unexpected context"? It's true that he seems to enjoy not being as helpful as possible, but beyond that, I'm struggling to see commonalities between the form of his answers. Belkar's, Roy's, and Elan's prophecies seem to have been fairly straightforward (although I guess we'll have to wait and see with Elan, technically), and while I personally would have found Haley's prophecy fairly useless, she seems to have found it helpful, despite the fact that it was basically the opposite of literal. It's true that he didn't have much choice as to what to tell Roy, given Roy's too-clever-by-half wording, but that was also a rare case of when he actually seemed to WANT to be helpful (albeit probably out of self-interest as much as anything else). Besides Durkon's prophecy, V's is the only other one where I could see "literally true with unexpected context" being a somewhat accurate description, and even then, I'd argue that his answer was too vague to really mislead in any way. It's only a case of "unexpected context" because he gave V pretty much no useful information around which to form expectations whatsoever, besides the fact that "yes, you will achieve ultimate arcane power."
    Also, like Rogar, I would like to applaud your quote-nesting art.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-03-27 at 06:00 PM.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

25. - Top - End - #175

Due to the fact that I usually have two windows open side by side when I first saw that layering it was amazing, because the innermost layer was so thin that it wasn't even a character wide.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Which other prophecies were "literally true with unexpected context"?
    Near as I can recall, all of them that we've seen completed thus far have been true with the obvious meaning of the words.

As you note, not all of these were twists; but they are all straightforwardly true in their meaning....So if prophecy about Belkar does have a twist, nothing supports it being due to a non-straightforward meaning; and a "metaphorical death" twist would be such a non-straightforward meaning.

(Layering the quotes in now would just be copy-and-pasting from my earlier post; where's the fun in that? Also, I wouldn't want Schroeswald's monitor to explode from the pressure.)

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    On my phone, the most nested one only displays as a single character per line. It is mighty impressive.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Mine doesn’t squish the comments nearly as much. Weird. Is that a trait of iPhone 11s or something else?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #179

(Layering the quotes in now would just be copy-and-pasting from my earlier post; where's the fun in that? Also, I wouldn't want Schroeswald's monitor to explode from the pressure.)
    I'm not certain it could get any more exploded than it was with that many quotes (also, the thing on my phone was one character long too, its not an IPhone 11s btw)
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Near as I can recall, all of them that we've seen completed thus far have been true with the obvious meaning of the words.

As you note, not all of these were twists; but they are all straightforwardly true in their meaning....So if prophecy about Belkar does have a twist, nothing supports it being due to a non-straightforward meaning; and a "metaphorical death" twist would be such a non-straightforward meaning.

I think I see the issue now; you're just defining "straightforwardness" a lot more broadly than I am. To me, while The Oracle isn't given to lying, or strained interpretations of the truth, his answers seem to vary quite a bit in how straightforward they are. Giving a helpful, straightforward answer to some people, an answer so vague as to be of no use to anyone to others, and giving an answer that, while true, will obviously be taken the wrong way to still others doesn't strike me as being particularly consistent. I fully agree with you that there are no lies, half-truths, or any other kind of deceit there, though, so in that sense all of his answers are pretty straightforward and consistently honest.

The variation in his answers does strike me as significant enough that I wouldn't rule out tricksiness on principle when it comes to interpreting the prophecy about Belkar. That said, as has been noted by both me and plenty of other people, there isn't a convincing explanation for how to interpret the prophecy in any way besides "oh, he'll just straight-up die" unless you basically just assume The Oracle or his sources are liars. So the difference is more or less moot, I suppose.