New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

cool There's a cantrip for everything

So, what's the strangest cantrip you've heard of? I hadn't heard of seasoning cantrips but I don't doubt they exist.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: There's a cantrip for everything

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    So, what's the strangest cantrip you've heard of? I hadn't heard of seasoning cantrips but I don't doubt they exist.
    There's a 0th level Wish spell. If you can't do it with that, you're not really trying hard enough.
    Pertinent bit bolded
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe
    Prestidigitation

Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. The effects are minor and have severe limitations. A prestidigitation can slowly lift 1 pound of material. It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material. It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters. Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial. The materials created by a prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile, and they cannot be used as tools, weapons, or spell components. Finally, a prestidigitation lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

however, you only have four 0th level spell slots, so a wizard has a hard time preparing enough of those cantrips unless sacrificing higher level spells.
    considering that V has already the spell to keep the mosquitos away when he flies, and the cat retrieving hand, he should be watching his cantrip allotment
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    however, you only have four 0th level spell slots, so a wizard has a hard time preparing enough of those cantrips unless sacrificing higher level spells.
    considering that V has already the spell to keep the mosquitos away when he flies, and the cat retrieving hand, he should be watching his cantrip allotment
    I was under the impression that the cat retrieving hand was a leveled spell related to Bugsby, and the joke was on "why did V keep preparing that spell?"
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I was under the impression that the cat retrieving hand was a leveled spell related to Bugsby, and the joke was on "why did V keep preparing that spell?"
    Mage hand is a cantrip and will lift an unattended object of up to 5 lb, but a cat is a creature (which in D&D land makes it not a object and also not unattended), and can easily be more than 5 lb. So that won't work.

Interposing hand (level 5), Forceful hand (level 6), Grasping hand (level 7), clinched fist (level 8), and Crushing hand (level 9) are the "Bigby's" hand spells 3rd edition.

Even if "Bugsby's Cat-Retrieving Hand" is lower level than any of these, it would probably still not be a cantrip if it is part of the spoof Bigby's Bugsby's hand line.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2020-03-23 at 05:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Mage hand is a cantrip and will lift an unattended object of up to 5 lb, but a cat is a creature (which in D&D land makes it not a object and also not unattended), and can easily be more than 5 lb. So that won't work.

Interposing hand (level 5), Forceful hand (level 6), Grasping hand (level 7), clinched fist (level 8), and Crushing hand (level 9) are the "Bigby's" hand spells 3rd edition.

Even if "Bugsby's Cat-Retrieving Hand" is lower level than any of these, it would probably still not be a cantrip if it is part of the spoof Bigby's Bugsby's hand line.
    I thought the joke was that V was using Interposing Hand to pick up a cat, which is not the most efficient use of a 5th-level spell. Rich is kinda flexible about characters having to say the exact name of the spell being cast anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

7. - Top - End - #7

I thought the whole point of cantrips was that they were mostly "utility" spells that you could use freely as much as you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    I thought the whole point of cantrips was that they were mostly "utility" spells that you could use freely as much as you want?
    Both PF and 5th edition have a variant of this, but 3.5 cantrips are normal Vancian spells, with spell slots, and forgotten for the day after use. V of course has an extra cantrip slot, due to being an Evoker, but in an annoying 3.5 quirk, doesn't get bonus cantrip slots due to a high INT modifier, so has 5 cantrip slots, but at least 7 1st-level slots (8 if V's INT has raised to 28 by now).
    Last edited by MultitudeMan; 2020-03-24 at 02:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Why can't you use prestidigitation to clean away the flies? In 5e at least it can be utilized to clean an object, IIRC. So I'd wager, this was the cantrip V referred to in the scene with bandana

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Why can't you use prestidigitation to clean away the flies? In 5e at least it can be utilized to clean an object, IIRC. So I'd wager, this was the cantrip V referred to in the scene with bandana
    Indeed, but unlike 5e, in 3.5e he can only cast it 4 (5?) times max. It does do almost the exact same thing though. There's a reason prestidigitation is called Least Wish
    Check out the guys at MitD's thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I still need to trim it down based on publication date, etc., but for now, it's a start.
    It has almost 21k monsters at the moment.
    ... who says we've run out of monsters to check?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Prestidigitation is also technically a buff spell. Lasts for an hour, and lets you do the listed things for the duration. So V can flavor the entire crew's meals for them with a single casting and probably still have some time left.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    I thought the joke was that V was using Interposing Hand to pick up a cat, which is not the most efficient use of a 5th-level spell. Rich is kinda flexible about characters having to say the exact name of the spell being cast anyway.
    That's how I've always interpreted it (that he used a high level hand spell and just renamed it for the use). But if the question is "is that a cantrip" then you need to examine the plausible cantrips, which are far too weak to do the observed action.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I find myself in violent agreement with you and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe View Post
    Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial. The materials created by a prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile
    Should I be envisioning a damp cardboard box with the word "espresto" written on it in crayon?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
    I really want to say yes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I once convinced a DM to let me pick locks with Prestidigitation because there's no way most tumblers weigh five pounds. (It wasn't an auto-success like with Knock, but I wound up being better at it than the party Rogue because he let me add both my Caster Level and my Int bonus to the roll.) It really is mainly limited by your imagination.

Stepping away from the MacGyver spell for a moment, there is a cantrip called Stick which acts as a very weak glue. A stiff breeze can detach what you use it on, and creatures don't even need to make the easiest of Strength checks.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

17. - Top - End - #17

OotSverse also has a birth control cantrip (technically orson). That Durkon didn't prepare.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

and the cat retrieving hand,
    Shouldn't this spell be a CATtrip?

Ok, this joke sounds better in italian, since can(e) means dog...
    my first PC was a dwarven cleric

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Indeed, the "Flavor" cantrip goes all the way back to 1st edition Unearthed Arcana. In that edition there were no cantrip slots, but you could choose 4 cantrips on a single 1st level "slot" memorization. Flavor and Clean were actually pretty popular choices. That edition had some stinkers of first level spells that should have been cantrips (Erase and Push anybody?). In 3.x some 1st level spells became cantrips (Light and Dancing Lights off the top of my head but probably some others)

In the version played by the Stickverse, "Prestidigitation" covers a bunch of the original cantrips (clean, dry, moisten, flavor, color, etc).

The one that V uses to clean out bugs from V's teeth after flying is probably also prestidigitation, one of the "clean" usage type.

I'm trying to think of any truly unusual cantrips and coming up blank. Most were pretty utilitarian, and the 3.x cantrips have found plenty of uses over the years, even moreso in Pathfinder when cantrips can be cast infinite times per day.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    Both PF and 5th edition have a variant of this, but 3.5 cantrips are normal Vancian spells, with spell slots, and forgotten for the day after use. V of course has an extra cantrip slot, due to being an Evoker, but in an annoying 3.5 quirk, doesn't get bonus cantrip slots due to a high INT modifier, so has 5 cantrip slots, but at least 7 1st-level slots (8 if V's INT has raised to 28 by now).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    Indeed, but unlike 5e, in 3.5e he can only cast it 4 (5?) times max. It does do almost the exact same thing though. There's a reason prestidigitation is called Least Wish
    Friendly reminder that if you really want more uses of your cantrips in a day in 3.5, you can just prepare them in higher-level slots. It's not like V is using all those 1st-level slots for much else every day anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Interposing hand (level 5), Forceful hand (level 6), Grasping hand (level 7), clenched fist (level 8), and Crushing hand (level 9) are the "Bigby's" hand spells 3rd edition.
    In 3.0 yes, but in 3.5 you can add:

Bigby's Helpful Hand (1st)
    Bigby's Tripping Hand (1st)
    Bigby's Slapping Hand (2nd)
    Bigby's Striking Fist (2nd)
    Bigby's Warding Hand (2nd)
    Bigby's Disrupting Hand (3rd)