Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Untold Tales of Aldhaven - City-based game

City based intrigue, in the best homebrew city setting that the GitP forum community has ever made? Sign me up please!

Spoiler: Dem Bones
    Show
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]

Edit: Yeah, I will take those rolls to the bank.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-03-24 at 07:19 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull & Shackles (DM)
    - Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

For now i have done this character the background for now is not done ,do you need source for feats/equipment/races/anything?
    Psypaw
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, potentially interesting; I'll roll some dice, hopefully I get the coding right. Also, I remember another of your games a coupe years ago, that didn't get off the ground, I don't remember why.
    (4d6b3)[5][1][3][3](12)
    (4d6b3)[6][4][3][4](17)
    (4d6b3)[5][1][4][1](11)
    (4d6b3)[3][5][5][2](15)
    (4d6b3)[6][1][4][2](13)
    (4d6b3)[3][4][4][2](13)

edit: odd, it didn't take the best 3 for the sums; I thought I had the formatting right for it to take the best 3, well at least I have the numbers shown so I can tell that happened. 11/14/10/13/12/11
    Last edited by zlefin; 2020-03-24 at 07:49 AM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Currently Recruiting: Beware Of Bites!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Hi Riz, had a character from a previous aldhaven side game that never really took off after I joined the existing group. Would it fit for this one?

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=356400
    That's fine. I don't know if you want to try rolling stats again or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentinas View Post
    For now i have done this character the background for now is not done ,do you need source for feats/equipment/races/anything?
    Psypaw
    It's nice but not strictly necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Hmmm, potentially interesting; I'll roll some dice, hopefully I get the coding right. Also, I remember another of your games a coupe years ago, that didn't get off the ground, I don't remember why.
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

edit: odd, it didn't take the best 3 for the sums; I thought I had the formatting right for it to take the best 3, well at least I have the numbers shown so I can tell that happened. 11/14/10/13/12/11
    [rollv] doesn't drop dice. You need to use just [roll] for that function.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    That's fine. I don't know if you want to try rolling stats again or not.
    I rolled above but I'm going to take the 28 point buy, which it appears this character uses.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Iíve been dying to get into an Aldhaven game for as long as Iíve been on GitP.

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[4]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    ďIt's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.Ē
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    I rolled above but I'm going to take the 28 point buy, which it appears this character uses.
    Ah, I missed the post where you rolled. Never mind then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Funny you should say that...
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-03-24 at 09:43 AM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I was initially planning on making a savage warblade, but I'm seeing that the Tome of Battle base classes aren't allowed. Would it be possible for me to use your fighter rework? Or is your 3rd edition rework too distinct from 3.5 for a class to be directly ported over?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kvard51 View Post
    Funny you should say that...
    I just heard Heath Ledger's Joker - "very poor choice of words"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-03-24 at 10:15 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Rizban, I have an idea for a 'fish out of water' style character, one who has grown up in the wilds and therefore despises cities and society but has been forced into Aldhaven for an extended period of time while they complete a specific task. I am considering possibilities like a missing loved one, a search for an item, or the rites to a hidden ritual. Normally I would not request such a character, but in this particular game, it might be easier for me to tie their backstory and goals into the adventure you have planned since it's less of a sandbox this time around.

At the moment, my build is likely going to be some sort of Shifter Monk / Ranger, going into Fist of the Forest. Would it be possible for me to use the Way of the Shackled Beast style? This style from Dragon 355 (found on page 75), which I would need to request from you beforehand. The bonus feats there would allow me to add my natural attacks to unarmed damage, which really streamlines the character - it isn't a huge increase in power at all, this is more for the sake of fluff and book-keeping.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-03-24 at 10:39 AM.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull & Shackles (DM)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waxpapers View Post
    I was initially planning on making a savage warblade, but I'm seeing that the Tome of Battle base classes aren't allowed. Would it be possible for me to use your fighter rework? Or is your 3rd edition rework too distinct from 3.5 for a class to be directly ported over?
    I'm going to have to say no. The rework is too drastic of a power shift for inclusion in Aldhaven.

I will, however, allow a Fighter ACF that lowers HD one step and sacrifices the 2nd-level bonus feat to add the minor and major auras of the Marshal class as presented in Miniatures Handbook.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Rizban, I have an idea for a 'fish out of water' style character, one who has grown up in the wilds and therefore despises cities and society but has been forced into Aldhaven for an extended period of time while they complete a specific task. I am considering possibilities like a missing loved one, a search for an item, or the rites to a hidden ritual. Normally I would not request such a character, but in this particular game, it might be easier for me to tie their backstory and goals into the adventure you have planned since it's less of a sandbox this time around.

At the moment, my build is likely going to be some sort of Shifter Monk / Ranger, going into Fist of the Forest. Would it be possible for me to use the Way of the Shackled Beast style? This style from Dragon 355 (found on page 75), which I would need to request from you beforehand. The bonus feats there would allow me to add my natural attacks to unarmed damage, which really streamlines the character - it isn't a huge increase in power at all, this is more for the sake of fluff and book-keeping.
    I'm okay with that, but I probably won't be exploring individual character back stories as much as I usually would.

I don't have access to that Dragon issue, but a summary I found online tentatively looks okay. If you can provide more details, I'll probably allow it.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

I'm okay with that, but I probably won't be exploring individual character back stories as much as I usually would.

I don't have access to that Dragon issue, but a summary I found online tentatively looks okay. If you can provide more details, I'll probably allow it.
    Alright, well that suits my purposes as well. I do still plan on writing a backstory with some quirks, as Fist of the Forest practically demands such. As for Way of the Shackled Beast, it replaces the two Monk bonus feats that they earn at 1st and 2nd level (ignoring the prerequisites just like any Monk bonus feat). The first one is Fear No Binds, and the second is Beast Strike.

Spoiler: Fear No Binds
    Show
    Shackles, ropes, and binds offer no impediment to your impressive fighting skills.
    Prerequisite: Escape Artist 6 ranks, Improved Unarmed Strike.
    Benefit: You suffer no penalties on attack rolls made while grappling and may make unarmed strike attacks when bound with any nonmagical bindings, be they ropes, chains, or shackles. You suffer no penalties on attack rolls or to Dexterity when entangled. If you are targeted by a net attack and defeat your opponent's opposed Strength check to restrain your movement you may instead forcibly pull your opponent, moving him anywhere within the limit of the trailing rope he holds. Your opponent may drop his net as a free action to avoid being pulled about by you. This feat does not prevent any movement-slowing effects suffered while bound or entangled.
    Special: A fighter may select Fear No Binds as a fighter bonus feat.

Spoiler: Beast Strike
    Show
    Your martial training makes full use of your natural weapons in unarmed combat.
    Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +5, Improved Unarmed Strike, claw or slam attack
    Benefit: When you make an unarmed strike or grapple check to deal damage, you may add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed trike or grapple damage.
    Special: A fighter may select Beast Strike as a fighter bonus feat.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull & Shackles (DM)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, well that suits my purposes as well. I do still plan on writing a backstory with some quirks, as Fist of the Forest practically demands such. As for Way of the Shackled Beast, it replaces the two Monk bonus feats that they earn at 1st and 2nd level (ignoring the prerequisites just like any Monk bonus feat). The first one is Fear No Binds, and the second is Beast Strike.

Spoiler: Fear No Binds
    Show
    Shackles, ropes, and binds offer no impediment to your impressive fighting skills.
    Prerequisite: Escape Artist 6 ranks, Improved Unarmed Strike.
    Benefit: You suffer no penalties on attack rolls made while grappling and may make unarmed strike attacks when bound with any nonmagical bindings, be they ropes, chains, or shackles. You suffer no penalties on attack rolls or to Dexterity when entangled. If you are targeted by a net attack and defeat your opponent's opposed Strength check to restrain your movement you may instead forcibly pull your opponent, moving him anywhere within the limit of the trailing rope he holds. Your opponent may drop his net as a free action to avoid being pulled about by you. This feat does not prevent any movement-slowing effects suffered while bound or entangled.
    Special: A fighter may select Fear No Binds as a fighter bonus feat.

Spoiler: Beast Strike
    Show
    Your martial training makes full use of your natural weapons in unarmed combat.
    Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +5, Improved Unarmed Strike, claw or slam attack
    Benefit: When you make an unarmed strike or grapple check to deal damage, you may add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed trike or grapple damage.
    Special: A fighter may select Beast Strike as a fighter bonus feat.
    I'm leery of Beast Strike, but I'll allow it as long as you're not using it on a King of Smack style build.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is there any possibility of having some analog for the Shadow Weave with some non-Faerun specific deity attached? I've always liked the Shadow Weave Magic feat and Shadow Weave Adept class and they fit a beguiler really well but the entire concept is a bit tied up in that campaign setting.

My player profile.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh well... Aldhaven... guess it's time to roll!

Spoiler: Obviously Horrible rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[10]

And it is time to reroll too!
    Last edited by CozJa; 2020-03-24 at 11:54 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Is there any possibility of having some analog for the Shadow Weave with some non-Faerun specific deity attached? I've always liked the Shadow Weave Magic feat and Shadow Weave Adept class and they fit a beguiler really well but the entire concept is a bit tied up in that campaign setting.
    In Aldhaven:
    Neither the "Weave" nor the "Shadow Weave" are tied to any particular deity.
    The "Weave" is theorized to be the source of arcane magic that somehow emanates from the Material Plane.
    The "Shadow Weave" seemingly exists as a sort of alternate source that seems to emanate from Shadow of the Material Plane. It's also where Shadowcasters inherently source their power.

Nobody actually knows with certainty that the Weave or Shadow Weave even exist as distinct things. It's simply a decent theory for describing how magic works.

What this means mechanically: Things work as written, but the fluff is changed.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

If I can find a concept I like, I'll use point buy; as my stat rolls were unremarkable, I'll probably keep the basic spread though, just up it until it reaches the 28 point buy worth. What's the optimization level expected to be/targeted at?
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In Aldhaven:
    Neither the "Weave" nor the "Shadow Weave" are tied to any particular deity.
    The "Weave" is theorized to be the source of arcane magic that somehow emanates from the Material Plane.
    The "Shadow Weave" seemingly exists as a sort of alternate source that seems to emanate from Shadow of the Material Plane. It's also where Shadowcasters inherently source their power.

Nobody actually knows with certainty that the Weave or Shadow Weave even exist as distinct things. It's simply a decent theory for describing how magic works.

What this means mechanically: Things work as written, but the fluff is changed.
    Thanks! That works perfectly. Here's Geras Khul so far. I'll be putting together more of the backstory and personality today.
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2020-03-24 at 01:11 PM.

My player profile.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    What's the optimization level expected to be/targeted at?
    Be capable. Don't break the game. I'm pretty good at accommodating otherwise.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Rizban! So... I've pretty much abandoned my initial idea for a concept that I've actually discussed with you waaaay back when I was applying for Aldhaven: a proper skillmonkey, with a 'Sherlock Holmes' style feel to him. He's a Changeling Factotum, with some Monk and Rogue thrown in there for good measure (I love Kung Fu Genius ).

My question is this: given your rules on time, how much would be a reasonable amount of pre-crafted alchemical material? My character Myriad will be something of an alchemical specialist, and I plan to fill his Handy Haversack with all sorts of fun tricky little items, but I'd like to offset at least some of the cost without breaking the gold economy before the game even starts.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-03-24 at 02:33 PM.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull & Shackles (DM)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Rizban! So... I've pretty much abandoned my initial idea for a concept that I've actually discussed with you waaaay back when I was applying for Aldhaven: a proper skillmonkey, with a 'Sherlock Holmes' style feel to him. He's a Changeling Factotum, with some Monk and Rogue thrown in there for good measure (I love Kung Fu Genius ).

My question is this: given your rules on time, how much would be a reasonable amount of pre-crafted alchemical material? My character Myriad will be something of an alchemical specialist, and I plan to fill his Handy Haversack with all sorts of fun tricky little items, but I'd like to offset at least some of the cost without breaking the gold economy before the game even starts.
    You can craft anything that you can reliably craft by Taking 10. If taking 10 would result in a failure, then you must purchase it. You are assumed to have as much time as necessary prior to the game beginning to complete your crafting.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

You can craft anything that you can reliably craft by Taking 10. If taking 10 would result in a failure, then you must purchase it. You are assumed to have as much time as necessary prior to the game beginning to complete your crafting.
    Alright then - my character has a +12 to Alchemy checks without a lab, so anything with a DC 22 check to create should be fair game! This really opens up a lot of doors for me.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull & Shackles (DM)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Posting interest:

Spoiler
    Show

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2020-03-24 at 03:17 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ok so my rolls are leaning heavily towards a caster. My first thought is a Changeling Wizard / Recaster. Do you allow the Racial Emulation feat to qualify a Changeling to take Racial Substitution Levels? Thinking of picking up the Elf Levels at 1 & 3 if allowed. I'm also somewhat considering a Cleric but not sure on what the build might look like, what pantheon is in use for this setting?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rolling to reserve interest!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Edited: Well, that's gonna be a point buy from me for sure.
    Last edited by Elaraiah; 2020-03-24 at 06:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Posting interest
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I think that qualifies for a reroll as per page 8 of the PHB. Assuming I'm right, I'll roll again.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Posting interest...

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."