New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Found a canon 64th-level wizard

Behold, from page 90 of the Epic Level Handbook: Canabulum the 64th-level wizard, depicted making the dubious decision to develop the epic spell hellball.

Sure there are higher-CR creatures from the same questionable handbook, but this right here is an honest-to-goodness standard player race character who just went straight wizard for 64 levels, which by Wizards of the Coast standards may as well be optimized, considering most high-level 3rd edition mages like to waste levels by dipping fighter or rogue.

So is this it? The strongest standard player race NPC ever published by Wizards?

Edit. His artwork:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by bundlesandflows; 2020-03-24 at 02:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Found a canon 64th-level wizard

He may not have dipped Fighter, but it looks like he thought three feats for Heavy Armor Proficiency were a good investment.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

That image is a Pelor cleric.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I like how he has a symbol of Pelor?

Also, he vaguely looks like Elon Musk.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

So, "Hellball" is being developed by a 64th-level "Wizard" who just happens to be dressed in heavy armor and carrying a Holy Symbol of Pelor.

I'd say that this is newly-uncovered evidence in the "Burning Hate" conspiracy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    He may not have dipped Fighter, but it looks like he thought three feats for Heavy Armor Proficiency were a good investment.
    Or he's the kind of wizard who's got enchanted armor with -0 ACP and 0% ASF, which means nonproficiency effectively doesn't matter.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I also still think a level 64 wizard is 100% is guy who most of all can afford to waste 3 feats on armor proficiency..
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Probably has still spell and automatic still spell three times

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I've never heard of any PC race above 64th level but considering he was just used a reference for epic spell making considering him as existing is questionable.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Or he's the kind of wizard who's got enchanted armor with -0 ACP and 0% ASF, which means nonproficiency effectively doesn't matter.
    Speaking of, I remember seeing a thread that had the cheapest way to get a given AC for a given DEX, complete with options for Druid-friendly, 0% ASF, -0 ACP, and some others, but can’t find it anymore. Do you have it?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghanjrho View Post
    Speaking of, I remember seeing a thread that had the cheapest way to get a given AC for a given DEX, complete with options for Druid-friendly, 0% ASF, -0 ACP, and some others, but can’t find it anymore. Do you have it?
    I vaguely recall such a thread but I don't have a link, no.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Here you go.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ightless-Armor

Edit: But to be honest.
    That epic wizard could as well have crafted himself bracers of epic armor +32 for 10,300,000 gp, which surpass any armor in the game.
    Last edited by ThanatosZero; 2020-03-24 at 09:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe he developed Hellball out of boredom to show how utterly poor and generally completely awful the Epic spell system is?

(I will just be using straight 10th+ level spells myself when... ... If, at current rate... I do Epic again.)

Also, I once reached level 64 fighter in Planescape: Torment. Does that count?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-03-24 at 09:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Maybe he developed Hellball out of boredom to show how utterly poor and generally completely awful the Epic spell system is?

(I will just be using straight 10th+ level spells myself when... ... If, at current rate... I do Epic again.)

CRPGs take less time, than RL sessions. But yes, it counts.
    Albeit not the correct edition.
    If you wish to play epic with 3e with a CRPG, I recommend NWN with Startovarious' Player Resource Consortium.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I dont think your playthroughs count as canon though. Or just from me alone there are like 20 Bhaalspawn who own De'Arsine keep
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Epic Spellcasting in general has problems, and Hellball is just kinda one of the worst examples of it (since you can make a better version of it with regular spells and enough metamagic).

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

A mithral chain shirt with twilight enchantment from book of exalted deeds has no armor check penalty or arcane failure rate.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    I dont think your playthroughs count as canon though. Or just from me alone there are like 20 Bhaalspawn who own De'Arsine keep
    Multiple World Divergence Phenomena. The point of divergence varies, but who's to say even the "cannon" storyline is truly cannon.

Basically, there are 20 different De'Arsine Keeps in 20 different timelines being ruled by 20 diferent Bhaalspawns.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Sounds like the basis of a very dark and surreal sitcom.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    Multiple World Divergence Phenomena. The point of divergence varies, but who's to say even the "cannon" storyline is truly cannon.

Basically, there are 20 different De'Arsine Keeps in 20 different timelines being ruled by 20 diferent Bhaalspawns.
    Technically, every time a particular adventure is run, whether tabletop or video game, it's a separate timeline...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like the basis of a very dark and surreal sitcom.
    I would watch the hell out of that
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #22

RogueGuy

he is not stated out anywhere, he is stated to have a +82 spellcraft and be level 64. he has a 40 intelligence from which we can tell he has 67 ranks in spellcraft. He obviously has the epic spellcasting feat and the requirements thereof, beyond that we can write him up however we want.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by ThanatosZero View Post
    Here you go.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ightless-Armor

Edit: But to be honest.
    That epic wizard could as well have crafted himself bracers of epic armor +32 for 10,300,000 gp, which surpass any armor in the game.
    Interesting, I always thought the bonuses were capped, even in epic. Like +15 for bracers of armor ... Maybe that's silly

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Or as a trap.
    "Over the years, Canabulum had grown more frustrated with the many lesser Wizards who copied his spells and strategies verbatim. While he expected and welcomed others learning from his discoveries, many were just immitating with no effort at understanding.

So one night when he was feeling particularly grumpy, he came up with Hellball - a massively inefficient but powerful dweomer, that would take great study and resources to learn, but in the end was less potent than skilled use of normal magics.

After demonstrating it enough for word to get around, Canabulum never cast it again, focusing his attention on more useful research. But other Wizards have wasted years and mountains of gold trying to make it work.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2020-03-26 at 01:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

I'm not sure if he's canon or not, but he looks a lot like Shazam

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    Interesting, I always thought the bonuses were capped, even in epic. Like +15 for bracers of armor ... Maybe that's silly
    The ELH only lists many items up to a certain value (usually twice the nonepic limit) which has led some people to argue that anything beyond this is not canonical. But as the tables for random epic weapons and armor allow potentially infinite enhancement bonuses if you roll well enough, it seems unlikely that the other items are intended to be capped at any particular value.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I made that thing! It's in my sig.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    There are no limits stated in the ELH. For example the epic level progressions for classes only list tables for references and how it continues endlessly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Interesting fact: If he has pc wealth he will have 8.5 million gp in magic items.

Also I remember the dude from when I first read the epic level handbook back when it was published. My reaction was "Level 64? Meh this is silly."
    Last edited by VladtheLad; 2020-03-29 at 06:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VladtheLad View Post
    Interesting fact: If he has pc wealth he will have 8.5 million gp in magic items.
    I think you've made a mistake somewhere, PC wealth is 13.6 million GP at level 40 (ELH p.23). Increasing it 10% per level thereafter comes out to 134 million at level 64. Even NPCs get 14.6 million GP at level 64 (ELH p.317).