New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Copyrighted Content Gray Area

I'm currently working on some stuff I'd like to post in the Homebrew Design forum. It stems from being a comic book fan and how our local Covid-19 lockdown has finally given me the time to work on this idea. However, it seems to be in a gray area in regards to the following:

Please Don't: Posting Copyrighted Content
    Posting any copyrighted material without permission of the copyright holder is against the rules.
    This rule seems mainly to refer to game content made by WotC, TSR, or 3rd party D&D companies, but as written would refer to any copyrighted content.

For clarity's sake, I'll mention with brevity what the idea is as per the clause:
    As an example, mentioning a specific rule item or general mechanic, or explaining in general how it functions, does not violate this rule.
    A D&D pantheon based on on Jack Kirby's Fourth World New Gods (owned by DC comics).

Would something like this be okay to post? It's not copyrighted game material per se, and it would be an "original" work as far as adapting it from comics to RPG material is concerned, but it is in indeed a copyrighted work in a different "medium". This is the gray area I'm trying to sort out.

With much respect, thank you.
    Last edited by Messenger; 2020-03-24 at 09:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Copyrighted Content Gray Area

Sheriff: It is intended as written, which covers copyrighted materials of all kinds.

With that in mind, mentioning a copyrighted work or text is fine. Reproducing it is not. Naming a character and giving your original content inspired by it is probably fine. Just don't reproduce any of the the underlying work here. Leave it to the reader to buy their own copy or look it up elsewhere.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2020-03-24 at 10:24 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex