New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Both D&D and World of Darkness.

I'm the worst kind of gamer. I love the simple, open ended dice pools of world of Darkness, but I also want the crunchy combat of DnD.

How do I resolve my 2 great loves knowing they'll never be together? Is there anything that fills the void that my heart yearns for?

ಥ‿ಥ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Both D&D and World of Darkness.

Shadowrun? Ten times the crunch, and open-ended dice pools?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    This is very true! 2E dice pools could get huge. 3E was supposed to fix that, but ended up worse (as I understand it).

As long as you don't mind the cyberpunk vibe. If you still want medieval fantasy, Earthdawn might work.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-03-24 at 07:59 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    This is very true! 2E dice pools could get huge. 3E was supposed to fix that, but ended up worse (as I understand it).

As long as you don't mind the cyberpunk vibe. If you still want medieval fantasy, Earthdawn might work.
    4e even had nWoD-style expanding dice pools... success on a 5 or 6, modifiers change the size of the dice pool, not the TN.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    But Shadowrun doesn't work. I've played it a ton regardless, but it's the most broken RPG system I ever saw.

Possibly later versions are less dysfunctional? I believe my newest book is 4e.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you want dicepools and crunchy combat, try Exalted 3E. It has all the crunch a soul can ask for and then some.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    If you want dicepools and crunchy combat, try Exalted 3E. It has all the crunch a soul can ask for and then some.
    Came here to say this. Exalted has ginormous, Olympic-scale dice pools, and is absurdly, comically crunchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    But Shadowrun doesn't work. I've played it a ton regardless, but it's the most broken RPG system I ever saw.

Possibly later versions are less dysfunctional? I believe my newest book is 4e.
    Not really. I've played 5th edition mostly, and it kinda works, as long as your group is fine with going with rules-as-make-sense rather than RAW with some regularity.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays