Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Wildemount 5E: The Common Cold

Spoiler: Original OP
    Show
    Just got the new sourcebook on DnD Beyond. I think I'm willing to DM an adventure or two. Anyone interested? What kind of game/tone/level would you be interested in? I'm pretty new to DMing, so I figure the more player input/interest, the more we can come up with a decent hook for an adventure.

Anywho, if you're interested let me know some of the following:

Area of Play
    Do you have any areas in Wildemount you'd be interested in exploring? Let us know if you're happy with anywhere, but do suggest at least one.

Tone
    Are you more interested in intrigue, warfare, swashbuckling, etc.?

Level Preference
    Any range of levels you'd like to play?

Once I see some interest and the general direction players want, I'll update the OP with a real game ad.
    The Common Cold

Across the great expanse of Wildemount, few could brag about exploring the Biting North. Its lands made famous not only for ancient god-killing relics of ages past but also for its rampaging yetis, apocalyptic blizzards, and its infamous river of lava.

Typically only the bravest and most powerful adventures ever set foot upon Eiselcrossí shores.

That is until you found yourself on a mission to rendezvous with a group of adventurers paid handsomely to go relic hunting on behalf of one of the worldís most renowned archaeologists: Seymour N. Reed.

Unbeknownst to you: Reed had spent a substantial amount of his life savings to fund an expedition to the mythic ruins of Aeor. When he never received confirmation of their success, he decided to be more frugal and pay you to simply follow the expeditionís planned path.

Now, discount hero, what kinds of dangers will you discover as you traverse the wild arctic lands of Eiselcross?

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Weíre going to explore a part of Wildemount for this adventure!

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? I'm aiming for 4-6. I might have reserves if thereís more interest. I wonít be making two parties since I donít want to stretch myself too thin.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? All here in the Playground~

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Letís go with Tier 2: level 5. Plenty of levels to start dipping into the Wildemount features.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Players will start with standard equipment and 955 gp. You can refer to Sane Magic Item Prices for magic item purchases. We can work together to price any magic items in other sourcebooks.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? If you have homebrew you want to use, run it by me first.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? Letís go with Wildemount races for this game, including: Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, Humans, Aarakocra, Aasimar, Dragonborn, Firbolgs, Genasi, Gnomes, Goblinkin, Goliaths, Half-Elves, Kenku, Orcs and Half-Orcs, Tabaxi, Tieflings, and Tortles. Letís avoid Hollowed Ones for now.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Roll 4d6 drop lowest, 7 times drop lowest. If your attributes do not add up to 27 point buy, roll again. For hitpoints, max at first level, roll half your hit dice + average + CON modifier. At level 2, a Barbarian would roll 1d6+7+CON modifier.

Also, roll a 1d20 for a Fateful Moment, Iíll let you know what to add to your background and character. This can range from gold, a feat, a skill proficiency, or a magic item.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? As long as your alignment does not interfere with group cohesion, go for it.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Normal procedure.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Use the forum roller under a spoiler.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Just get my seal of approval for any UA or homebrew. Races are still restricted to Wildemount races.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Write up a paragraph or two that includes your Fateful Moment, why youíre interested in exploring Eiselcross, and what your character wants out of life.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? This is more of an intro to Wildemount, so imagine a more RPG adventure feel. However, roleplay to your heartís content. Iíll improvise to what you all want.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any official D&D release (except concerning races, see above). Homebrew requires my seal of approval!
    Last edited by Liang; 2020-03-26 at 02:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wildemount 5E

When you say "adventure" do you mean something short like just a few levels or do you mean you're offering to run a full length campaign that goes for however long seems reasonable?
    I ask because I haven't read the setting material yet (just the race options, archetypes, and spells and very briefly skimmed the magic items and monsters) and I wasn't really planning on doing so any time soon without a good reason (I'm still only half way through watching Critical Role Season 1 as it's not my highest priority ttrpg youtube series/channel). So I don't think I'd bother trying to read through all that material in the next few days just for a few short adventures (though that's not me putting pressure on you to change the scope of what you're willing to run, I'm sure you'd still find other interested people given the popularity of the channel).

I'll withhold offering other opinions until that question is answered since my opinions aren't really relevant if I wind up not playing.

3. - Top - End - #3

SamuraiGirl

Considering I'd like practice actually completing a game via PbP , I was thinking a short adventure spanning a few levels.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'm interested, but I'm pretty easy and not sure I'll be much help narrowing the options down. I prefer lower levels (tiers 1 and 2), I'm open to a lot of things tonally, and I've only watched an episode or two of CR's second campaign so I'm not terribly attached to any of the areas. Glancing at Wildemount I'd say Blightshore and Eiselcross look interesting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I'm game.

I'm interested in The Menagerie Coast, Xhorhas, & Eiselcross.

I think 3-5 is a good starting point for a Module length adventure.

6-8 is good for a quick one off. 8 if folks want to Multiclass and that's on the table.

I'm open to several game types but given that this is a shorter adventure maybe not a heavy, political, intrigue game.
    Last edited by Majisyen; 2020-03-25 at 05:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'd be up for most anything. Something simple, within whatever you're comfortable with running sounds like fun.

Xhorhas could be cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'd love to play! I've never actually done an adventure in 5e - if you're down to have someone who's newer to the game, I would jump at the chance!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I know very few things about Wildemount, but I like learning about new worlds.

In short, I am interested!

As for level, I find that 3rd or 4th level is best in PbP, because leveling takes quite a bit of time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Xhorhas seems interesting to me. Particularly Rosohna and possibly delving into the ruins of the Betrayer Gods' city beneath it.
    ďIt's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.Ē
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

I'll throw my hat in the ring as well :)

To answer the questions:

Area of Play
    No particular knowledge about it, but ruin delving sounds nice

Tone
    Adventuring with lot's of action and a nice side of intrigue

Level Preference
    3 is a nice place to start

I'm partial to Warforged, but if that doesn't cut it for this world, I'm more than happy to play instead a half elf.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm gonna go against the grain and ask for a level 11+ game. I so rarely get to use Reliable Talent, and it's so good!

But, that being said, not knowing much about Wildemount, I'd be good for any area. As for tone, anything where I can be heroic. I don't like playing bad guys, usually.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

I have a concept for Dragonborn Rogue/Barbarian but I don't have the book and I heard Dragonborn is different on Wildemount.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    I have a concept for Dragonborn Rogue/Barbarian but I don't have the book and I heard Dragonborn is different on Wildemount.
    You can still play a PHB dragonborn, but there are 2 variants in EGtW. Ravenites look more suited for Str based frontliners and Draconbloods have Arcane Caster stats. They both get Darkvision and keep the Breath Weapon racial. Ravenites get a version of Berserkers' Retaliation 1/short rest and Dracs get advantage on a Face check 1/short rest

14. - Top - End - #14

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Wildemount 5E: The Common Cold

Ok. Based on what's been mentioned, I got inspired for a one-shot adventure. Read the OP for the ad. Just to reiterate one thing in the Big 16: we will be rolling for Fateful Moments. So after you roll your attributes, roll 1d20 to discover what big thing happened in your background.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

They see me rollin'

(4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Fateful Event (1d20)[19]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

Okat, rerolling because it desn't add up to 27

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[15]

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGirl

@Man on Fire:
    During (or sometime before) your preparations for this excursion you've stumbled over a forgotten text where you discovered a quite alluring treasure map leading somewhere inside the ruins of the Aeor Crash Site.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[4]
    (4d6b3)[10]

(1d20)[2]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Reroll

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

(4d6b3)[13]

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[11]

(1d20)[16]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Making a Hill Dwarf Kensei Monk, rolling base HP.

(1d4+5)[6]
    (1d4+5)[7]
    (1d4+5)[7]
    (1d4+5)[8]

22. - Top - End - #22

SamuraiGirl

@Majisyen
    During your travels, you met a dark elf dying in a forest who gave you a pendant with their daughter's name on it (your choice!). You haven't found her yet, but you wear it as a constant reminder. You receive an amulet of proof against detection and location.

@PMPyrophilios
    During your past adventures, you drank some tainted liquids and contracted sight rot. Your vision was saved by a passing agent of the Cobalt Soul. While they couldn't acquire the rare flower to cure you, they gave you a periapt of health to suppress the disease.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

It runs out I cannot find the Wildemount accessory. Can I still submit a character?

24. - Top - End - #24

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    It runs out I cannot find the Wildemount accessory. Can I still submit a character?
    Yup. You can still apply. I'll let you know if there's anything you need to know. Depending on who gets accepted, I might even subscribe to D&D Beyond and share my assets.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Liang View Post
    @Man on Fire:
    During (or sometime before) your preparations for this excursion you've stumbled over a forgotten text where you discovered a quite alluring treasure map leading somewhere inside the ruins of the Aeor Crash Site.
    Hmmm, I can certainly work with that.

I'm gonna go for a Scout Rogue 3/Barbarian 2, sort of a trapper with a side of hired muscle vibe. Rolling for HP

(1d4+5)[9]
    (1d4+5)[6]
    (1d6+7)[8]
    (1d6+7)[10]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liang View Post
    Yup. You can still apply. I'll let you know if there's anything you need to know. Depending on who gets accepted, I might even subscribe to D&D Beyond and share my assets.
    That's grant of you, thank you. Here we go

(4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]

EDIT: Unbelievable but that does not go to 27pb. Here we go again below. I am an idiot. Of course it does.

and (1d20)[20]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

(4d6b3)[8]

(1d20)[18]

Here's hoping I have figured out the dice roller

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Because I forgot to roll enough times
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    Last edited by Kalashak; 2020-03-26 at 06:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I somehow still forgot the right number of rolls, I clearly should not be up this late

(4d6b3)[11]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

Here is my Dragonborn Scout Rogue 3/Barbarian 2, seeking treasures and adventure.