Colossus in the Playground

Default Chrono Isekai [OOC]

Spoiler: Original Post
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    System: D&D 5E
    Player Count: Four and no more
    Style of Play: Interesting
    Allowed Content: If it's not on the list, don't ask.

• PHB
    • DMG
    • Xanathar's
    • Volo's
    • Mordenkainen's
    • Ravnica
    • Eberron
    • UA, Homebrew, or anything else available for free, legally, and online by request

Character Creation: Mythweavers preferred, but anything I can easily read is acceptable

• Backstory: Skirt length
    • Experience: 8th Level
    • Wealth: Whatever makes sense with your backstory. You'll get needed gear once you step through the door.
    • Ability Scores: Pick six numbers, 3-18. These are your pre-racial stats. You may modify them freely up until the game starts.
    • Hitpoints/Health: PHB Standard
    • Alignment: Good or good-leaning

Other Notes: No Ravnica backgrounds.

Your race will manifest once you step through the door, if different from human.

The club's music thumps heavily as you walk in-sounds like Daft Punk playing. You're given some shady looks-you've never been here before, and it shows. But you make your way to the back room.

The note was simple-an address, a sentence about meeting in the back room, and nothing more. But... For some reason, you felt compelled to answer it. Maybe it's what you do-investigate weird things in strange places. Maybe it's completely out of character. But you're here-and you see a few others like you, out of place, out of their element.

You walk into the back room. Thanks for coming, comes the impish voice. Sorry for the lack of explanation... But I promise this'll be worth it. Just step through the door... she says, opening the door that should lead to the back alley. And instead... A rolling field of green hills. The air that comes through smells... Clean. Free from any chemicals or drugs that you can smell in the club. A new world awaits you.

You'll get more explanation in-game, but basically, you're ordinary folk in the modern world. You get the note, you investigate the club, and you're brought into a new world-or so it seems. It's actually simply an earlier time period. Prehistory, in this case. And you can travel to various different periods-prehistory, medial, modern, and the future. You'll have to use your wits and your time periods to solve problems, all while trying to figure out what's going on, what's going wrong, and how to fix it all.

Note that I have basically NOTHING planned, so expect things to get wonky. Real wonky.

Please repost all character details, and claim a color.

IC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-03-26 at 08:27 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Chrono Isekai [OOC]

Reposting - Setsuna Watanabe, a Horizon Walker Ranger. She'll speak in Purple.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    As a human, Setsuna's a fairly ordinary-looking Japanese 18-year old; lanky and somewhat wiry, with an appearance that befits her being a child of the streets. She typically dresses in a black jacket and slim black pants, along with a white undershirt with a necklace chain hanging by her neck. Her hair's worn long and rugged, with several of her locks tied to one side in a ponytail with an old decoration she received from the orphanage.

In her post-transformative form, however... Setsuna almost completely changes -- she bears a humanoid appearance, but is studded with blue crystalline scales covering a significant portion of her body. Her hair and skin are pale-white, and her eyes are glowing blue; a transcluent cloak-like veil wraps around her shoulders, and she is dressed in light, tight-fitting armor of blue and white colouration with a faintly knightly image, carrying a rapier and light guard with her.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Setsuna appears cheerful and optimistic in demeanor; she's patient and slow to anger, falling onto the naive side at times. She's passionate about caring for kids and homeless folk, and cares a lot about the disenfranchised and people cast to the wayside. But in truth... a portion of it is a front -- there's a deeply depressive person inside, one fearful enough to try deeply to hide it. Her self-image is rather damaged, and her defence mechanisms heavily revolve around protecting and appeasing others. It isn't to say there isn't good in Setsuna's heart, however -- merely one that struggles with a lot of internal strife.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Setsuna is something of a loose-end problem-solver; an orphan and refugee from Japan, she grew up with other orphans and wound up doing a lot of odd jobs and eventually grew up to start her own ratty phonebook investigation agency. Nothing major or even effective - the kind you'd see in the classifieds section of less expensive newspapers, maybe a phonebook ad or two. But things eventually did come together, at least on the local scale; she'd gotten into the knack of figuring things out, slowly but surely. Missing objects, sniffing out unfaithful lovers... nothing big.

Perhaps her good-natured spirit drew her to media that featured chivalrous knights and brave lady chevaliers; privately, she'd started styling herself like such, thinking that maybe the modern world was lacking a little in such heroic figures. Not that she'd admit it -- if someone found out she pretended to be like a knight errant, she'd probably never hear the end of it. Little did she know, though, that she'd get much closer to it.

The latest job felt... weird. She'd gone to clubs some, of course - it was a good source of information... but she never belonged there. She makes her way to the back room -- and the voice speaks and...

A rolling field of green hills. And she'd become much more scaled and strange, was the first thing she noticed.
    Last edited by Merilan; 2020-03-26 at 01:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

And our 2nd Japanese migrant, Amano Hiroshi, Tiefling Monk. He'll be speaking in Maroon.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    A young punk of Asian descent in his mid-teens. Lean and sharp features, but also rough around the edges. His face is almost constant nursing a couple of bruises.

Alex is extremely self-conscious of his distinctly East-Asian appearance, often feeling like it made him a pariah in local communities and in the eyes of authorities.

Show
    Alex has a strong distrust of authority and institutions. As far as he was concerned, the fuzz has never done anything good for him. Accustomed to a rough life on the streets, Alex does not shy away from violence but is keenly away of its limits. He has learned to trust his instincts, which are keen and almost feral.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    • Born to Japanese parents as Amano Hiroshi.
    • Father was a member of the Yakuza fleeing the country having offended both his superiors and the authorities.
    • Arrested in the US?Europe? soon after the birth of Hiroshi for petty crime.
    • Mother only speaks Japanese and has become a largely disengaged figure as Hiroshi grew older, rarely speaking to him or leaving the house.
    • Hiroshi spent the early days of his childhood skipping school and largely wandering on the streets, stealing money from both his parents and passers-by for the arcades when able.
    • Goes by the name of Alex as his Japanese name sets him apart and attracted unwanted attention.
    • Overtime, has become a runner for local loan-sharks and drug dealers. Also engages in other petty crime.
    • Summoned with a message on a phone he had lifted an hour ago by his birth name. Has come to the meeting suspicious and armed with a knife/gun (whichever appropriate)

Returning player to GitP. Here's hoping my second stint will be better than my first.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

And I believe I'm the second-to-last Asian diasporian of the group, and the only non-Japanese one. Ember Tran is a Vietnamese grad-student-turned-barista, and quite possibly the oldest member of the party. She's like everyone's older sister! Y'know, if your older sister is both shorter, physically weaker than you, and not actually related to you at all.

Is it alright if I speak in black? Sometimes I might have to post from my phone, and it's much easier to not have to really choose a color. If not, I'll take teal.

Spoiler: Physics
    Show
    Ember is weird. Always has been, really. This has led her to make some bizarre and deeply unpopular fashion choices.

Ember wears her hair loosely, and dyes about half of it an red-pink just about every week. She wears a giant sunhat even if it isn't remotely sunny. She wears flip-flops all year round, though she throws on thick wool socks in the colder months. She does change her other clothes in accordance with the seasons, and the colorful satchel bag that she carries is at least somewhat normal. But in her experience, most people have strong opinions about the way she should be dressing instead.

Show
    • "I see that all things are connected." Ember believes this to be the most important insight in the world, and regularly shares it, espouses it, and thinks it. Because of this belief, Ember is often extremely friendly with people, since they are, after all, the same person. This belief can sometimes be problematic—she has used this peculiar logic to justify bad life choices and to argue for positions that would later turn out to be patently untrue.

• "I enjoy trying new things, especially if they're culinary in nature." Ember has a relatively restricted palate. Nonetheless, she's spent a lifetime choosing to imbibe foods and drinks she won't necessarily like. Sometimes she discovers something she really enjoys. More often, she finds something she cannot stomach. This imbalance of experiences has not changed her desire to taste as many foods and drinks as she can one bit.

• "I believe that the world is stranger than it seems." The occult is no mystery to Ember, especially not after her revelation. She spends a lot of time with new friends in a collective they all call the Society of Misfits, and so it's now normal for her to be supported when speaking of ghosts and monsters and the oneness of the universe. Occasionally, she attributes completely mundane events to supernatural causes.

• "I am comfortable navigating academic texts and environments." Ember is a barista now, but she spent several years of her life as a philosophy grad student. She's familiar with much of the philosophical canon, especially the works of David Lewis. She's comfortable reading academic texts, sometimes even if they're not philosophical. She knows how to write a grant proposal and draft a paper and teach undergraduate classes. And while she has a dim view of academia's red tape, she does know how to play the bureaucratic game.

Spoiler: Past
    Show
    It was a black coffee. Starbucks or Whoever. No cream, no sugar. Clear enough to work as a makeshift mirror. Bitterness that cut past the tongue to race all through the body, bitterness which made her retch and heave and sent shivers down her spine. It was glorious, magical, and for the first time in a long time, though she could not really explain it, she could see clearly. She and the coffee were one.

It was the last straw. Or so said her department head. Apparently, papers on Gettier problems were the wrong place to air her views on the unity within us all. So were bioethics conferences, the Intro to Philosophy classes she taught, and her dissertation on concrete possible worlds. But she "wasn't doing philosophy anymore," whatever that meant. So it didn't matter how important it was for the world to know that it bled into itself perfectly and seamlessly. She had to leave, and after her last gaffe, she had to leave immediately.

It was Bethany's idea. Ember needed to pay rent, and the landlord was not persuaded by her claims that she didn't owe any, because she and the landlord were actually one person, and hey, wouldn't it be silly to pay yourself? She had flirted with the idea of becoming a fortune teller or something, like some of her new friends in the Society of Misfits, but the idea didn't quite sit right with her. She revealed truths, she connected with the world, she communed with Mother Nature. And she simply did not believe in fortune telling. It was all a mind game, and while she could play it well, she didn't want to. But her roommate was right. She really did need to pay the rent. So she started a job at Starbucks or Whover, and began to learn the art of crafting world-shattering revelations.

It was a strange request. An address, a time, and a request to meet in the back room. She knew the place, was comfortable with it. Clubs were places were people mingled, got close, danced and drank and laughed together with one common purpose: to party. More than any conscious thinker, these people knew the one truth with their hearts and their acts. It was a strange request, but she was extraordinarily curious. Would this lead to a second revelation? And even if it was nothing, well, she had to close that night and the club was close. Why not? So armed with pepper spray—just in case—she joined a group of unfamiliar faces and looked through a portal to a time before humanity.

Forget the rent. Forget coffee-making. This was something far more extraordinary.

Here's the recruitment thread, just in case we ever need it. Also, here's a table of everyone who's posted in the OOC thread so far—feel free to add it to the first post. :>

Player Character Race and Class
    Merilan Setsuna Watanabe Simic Hybrid Ranger (Horizon Walker) 8
    Yuki.N> Amano "Alex" Hiroshi Tiefling Monk (Way of the Open Hand) 8
    TaiLiu Ember Tran Eladrin Warlock (Archfey Patron) 8
    Modigar Samantha Calvert Kalashtar Druid (Circle of the Moon) 8
    Unavenger Lili Raven Githzerai Cleric (Grave Domain) 8
    Illven Laura Variant Human Warlock (Archfey Patron) 8
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2020-03-27 at 02:50 PM.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Samantha Calvert, aged 20, in the second year of her zoology-focused bio degree. Normally more focused on her studies, she was rather surprised to find herself heading to the nightclub, and yet here she is.

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm here, i'm here, edit to come when home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7

Oki. With that in mind, have an IC!

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Modigar, I've added your character to the table. Illven, once you throw yours up on the OOC, I'll throw it up onto the table. :>

Also, Modigar, what do you think of connecting our characters' backstories a lil? Ember taught Intro to Philosophy classes, so I can see Samantha being, like, a former student or something.

Also also, we should introduce ourselves, huh? Assuming that no one drops, we'll be fellow players for the next few years, so we should try to get to know each other a lil. I'm TaiLiu, though you can call me Tai. I've played in a lot of PBP games over the years, mostly D&D 3.5e and Pathfinder. I've joined some 5e games, but they've always ended rather quickly. Hoping that's not the case here! These days, I mostly play games in real-time, but there's a certain writerly element in PBP that I'm hoping to engage in in this game.

I studied philosophy, so I figured it would make the most sense to make Ember a philosophy grad student—that way, I wouldn't have to bull**** as much.

Also also also, since we're all here, what do peeps think about getting a Discord OOC server set up? Easier + faster communication, and the PM box'll never get full.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Show
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

9. - Top - End - #9

Discord OOC

Link expires in 24 hours.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh, hey, a thread. Uh, Lili Raven, or just Raven if you would, is ready to... probably do something when I've sorted out everything else. >.<

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #12

Okay, all six characters are now on the table!

Show