New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Located in the foothills of the Five Kings Mountains in eastern Isger, Breachill is a thriving town of about 1,300 inhabitants; most are humans, although there are notable populations of dwarves, half-elves, and gnomes here as well. The town predates its most notable landmark, which sits about 1 mile to the northeast, high on low-rising Hellknight Hill: Citadel Altaerein, the foreboding but now-abandoned fortress that was once the home of the Hellknight Order of the Nail.

In years past, Breachill gladly served as a supply source for the Hellknights, who commended the well-ordered peace the town enjoyed. But 8 years ago, when the Order of the Nail fully retreated from Citadel Altaerein in favor of the order’s new home in Varisia, Breachill’s inhabitants simply shrugged, continuing the agriculture, crafting, and bartering that has always sustained them. Now, common wisdom generally recommends avoiding the citadel, which serves as an isolated haven for peaceful groups that don’t want to be disturbed but is also rumored to be overrun with dangerous monsters.

Breachill’s local government has a long and proud history of hiring adventurers to tackle any challenges its residents face that fall outside the scope of the town guard’s duties. The merchant whose expected shipment of goods hasn’t yet arrived, the shepherd whose herd of goats mysteriously died in the night, the farmer whose entire season’s harvest was ruined or stolen—investigating and resolving any of these matters are considered good jobs for adventurers, and so Breachill’s town council uses its resources to hire heroes as needed. These monthly meetings, known as the Call for Heroes, are distinct from the council’s normal regular governance meetings, a tactic that separates such matters from regular municipal business and shows the townspeople that the council indeed allots sufficient time to the issues that are often most important to them personally.

Spending public money on hiring adventurers to help the townspeople serves several purposes, as far as Breachill’s leadership is concerned. First, it provides the townspeople with an official and fully funded way to seek help when they’ve exhausted all other options. Second, it allows the salaried town guard to focus on run-of-the-mill crimes and mundane threats to the townspeople’s safety. And third, it provides experience to local adventurers—and allows the council to vet out-of-town heroes—whose presence and talents the council considers boons to the populace, harking back to the hero Lamond Breachton, Breachill’s original patron who saved the town’s founders.

The council holds a public Call for Heroes once per month expressly to hear petitions from residents who wish the town to hire adventurers on their behalf. At the end of a resident’s address to the council, the council members discuss the petition before voting whether to expend public funds on it. For petitions that are approved—and most of the one or two requests per month are approved—the council then opens the floor to adventurers in attendance at the meeting who wish to tackle the challenge. Heroes looking for work often attend these meetings with a prepared list of qualifications, and the council hires an appropriate number of candidates who are well suited for each job. After the meeting, the adventurers are expected to follow up regularly with the petitioner and with the council. Those heroes who resolve their assigned challenges are paid handsomely in gold pieces and receive preferential consideration for future official work that might use their demonstrated talents.

Since the Breachill Town Council has been holding monthly Calls for Heroes for decades, a fair number of local traditions have built up around the event. Many adventurers who plan to lobby for the jobs outlined at the meeting visit Wizard’s Grace, a popular nearby tavern, before the proceedings begin. Some hold traditional toasts for good fortune, some schmooze with the townsfolk in hopes of being hired, and some seek to scope out the other adventurers with whom they might be working—or competing for the jobs at hand.

[spoiler = City Map]Breachill is small town. Just 1000 by 1500 feet rectangle with about 1300 inhabitants. However it has many storied sites within it. The more affluent area is south of Breach creek (though 100 feet wide at its narrowest and 300 at its widest through the town). There are 3 main roads in and out of the Breachill with the North and East roads being the major while the west gate eventually meanders South and is not as often used. Citadel Altaerein sits about 10 miles Northeast of the town. In the center of town you have Town Hall, where important meetings take place, including the Call for Heroes. Nearby are the Breachill Archives, where a detailed record of the goings on of the town have been kept since its founding 170 years ago. Of the 4 bridges that cross Breachill Creek, the Monument Bridge leading to Monument Circle is the most notable. Monument Circle is a marble-paved circle that is the visual centerpiece of Breachill. It is surrounded by 6 deep wells that supply a lot of the fresh water for the residents and businesses in town. In the center of this ring is an elegant, 15-foot-tall bronze statue of the wizard Lamond Breachton, Breachill's founder and the town's most important figure. A little further down the road from Town Hall is the Wizard's Grace, a favored tavern for adventurers seeking work from teh council in the town's monthly Call for Heroes.[/spoiler]

Spoiler: What I need
    Show
    I need for each of you to introduce your character a bit (what do they look like, how to do they walk, etc) and tell me what they are doing on the day of the Call for Heroes. The call doesn't actually happen until closer to noon, so you have the morning to do whatever around town (including talk to NPC townies or meet each other at the Wizard's Grace for a drink and introduce your characters to each other). Even if you don't want to do anything much around town (and I'll resolve whatever you decide to to rather quickly, so for instance if you want to talk to a NPC, just tell me what kind of thing you want to accomplish give me a roll and I'll decide what kind of roll to make it and add the appropriate modifiers then post the results and move this along quickly), still give me a description and just say you are waiting for the meeting or whatever. Then I will move the action forward to right before the meeting.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-03-25 at 02:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Olarn

Olarn ducks carefully out of his home's door near the South Gate, making sure that he has everything with him. Ingrained habits make him check if his shield is polished - it is- if the hammer is clean and the grip tight -it is- and if his chain mail is rust free and oiled - it is. He then goes to his dagger, his hatchet and his sling. All there.

He straightens and looks at the weather. It is pleasant enough. Olarn's lunch with his sister Siofia, a good-luck gift by his good-natured sister, was also nice, the best he had had in the last few weeks since he came back. Kind of Siofia to disregard the little thing of getting their little brother killed.

Sighing, a cinnamon stick in his mouth, Olarn shoulders on to the Wizard's Grace.

"Now, dump@ss, only two tankards. At most. You are going to petition for a job. Stars know you need it."

With these happy thoughts, Olarn walks in his straight, easy manner, making sure not to bump anyone. He really needs this job. He cannot keep shooting for rabbits for food. Eliric lets him help at the forge now and then, but is obvious that he really does not need the help. Eliric is a much better metalsmith that Olarn will ever be. A much better person and brother, too.

Sighing again, the determinedly pushing his usual gloomy thoughts aside, he picks his pace again. It will be interesting who else will be trying to hire out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia

Young Female elf average height and weight, ice blue eyes and brunette. After traveling for a few days having taken up a room in the local inn the night before. The day of the Call for Heroes had finally arrived a chance to prove her skill, but there was politics and tradition to consider. Heading over to the Wizard's Grace for the morning meal, introducing herself and chatting with those around telling those that might listen of her skills while waiting for the meeting to start.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Society (1d20+4)[8]
    Perception (1d20+5)[8]
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-26 at 12:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Algar Wyrmburned
    Not a reading day, work day. The thought that greeted his waking was a relief. While resolved to increase his knowledge to better serve in defending others, the days of looking through obtuse tomes and questionable bestiaries wore on Algar. He was not, naturally, inclined toward intellectual pursuits. The monthly call made a good excuse to take a break; the work helped others, paid his keep, and got him away from moldy books. He performed his morning devotions, stretches, and drills, then donned his kit. One must look professional after all. When ready, he aimed for the Wizard's Grace. May as well get eyes on this months crop, see who would be useful and who would be a hindrance. Not a safe line of work. Well, people ought to know the risks. Jonz should get most of the use of that leg back eventually, according to the healers, and he will have learned a valuable lesson.

When he first arrived, some were shy of him, a large, badly burned man with visibly orcish teeth and ears. After awhile he was just another adventurer hanging around and occasioned little notice. He nods to acquaintances in the street, then enters the tavern and surveys the scene while getting breakfast.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Brek has been in Breachill for almost 24 hours. He first heard of the Call almost a year ago, and still wasn't quite sure he wanted to be here. For what surely won't be the last time, he looks out over Breach Creek from his stone perch between two of the wells on the edge of Monument Circle, wondering at the path that brought him here, and where it will take him next.

As the water drifts slowly by, he considers a moderate branch carried by the stream's currents. It bumps and bobs along, powerless to stop the flow or avert his course. Brek frowns. Odd, feeling commonality with a stick.

He snorts quietly, turning his attention instead back to the bronze wizard overshadowing the plaza. Unbidden, his legs carry him back to Breachton's ankles, so close he has to crane his neck uncomfortably to see the bust's face- shrouded for the moment in a blanket of clouds. He huffs, quite unimpressed by the figure- though he admits silently the metalwork is decent- to be so idolized as to have a 15-foot bronze statue, and be almost completely unknown only 2 days' journey away. Bizarre.

"Guess he musta done something that mattered," Brek huffs quietly to himself, turning towards the Town Hall. the Call is supposed to start soon. Wouldn't do to be late.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Ah! What a day!" says Corry as he walks steadily from his little hole at the outskirts of Breachill. "It's beautiful weather, the neighborhood is full of good people, and there's enough time to drop in and say hello to folks on the way to the Call. Good things will happen today!"

The short, blonde halfling makes his way down the street and enters town proper by the South Gate, meandering down the cobbled paths and greeting everyone he sees by name. His ready smile and willingness to help with even the smallest task makes his progress slow, but by the time he is at the Wizard's Grace he has a jaunty bounce to his step from helping all his neighbors in the little ways he could. "Mrs. Harper really shouldn't try to carry so much on her own - I'm glad I was there to help with that bag of onions..." he says to himself as he enters the pub. Removing his outer cloak and adjusting the light sweater he wears he makes his way to the bar and climbs up onto a halfling-sized bar stool. "Is it after noon yet? I ate elevenses before leaving the house, so I guess its time for lunch...I think a Five Kings' Pale Ale sounds like a lovely way to start!" he says to the barmaid with a wholesome and broad grin. "How is your sister, Lucy? Has she given birth yet? I expect that little one will be quite the lovely baby, what with all the pretty people in your family!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn shoulders in the Wizard's Grace and scans the crowd. Not a small crowd, at that. Some new faces and some casual acquaintances. A badly burned man who seems that would be a handful in a fight is eating breakfast. Olarn has not seen him before. Probably here for the Call.

I wonder how it would be to work alongside him.

With a casual nod at his direction, Olarn searches for a seat. He then notices that Corry is here. If there was ever a person who could make stones like him and trees sing, it would be him. Olarn remembers him from before, and he hasn't seem to have changed. They were never friends, but they have shared a beer before. Sliding next to him and ordering an ale himself, Olarn asks

"Mind the company?"

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

"Olarn! How are you? Of course I don't mind someone to eat and drink with me!" exclaims Corry happily. "You're looking pretty good - have you been working in the smithy with your dad? Your armor looks nice...I'll bet your planning on answering the Call tonight, huh?" Corry takes a pull from the dwarven ale Lucy brings, sighing contentedly at its hoppy flavor. He then sits back and waits for Olarn to speak, clearly interested in what the tall man has to say.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

"Kind of you to remember my father, Corry. But no, I help my brother now and then.

But as you said, I do hope to answer the Call. I really need this, and truth be told, I am better with the war-hammer than with the smith's hammer.

And you? How have you been? Also here for the call?"

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

After wiping some foam from his mouth Corry responds, "Eliric does some excellent work - he and I have traded some crafts back and forth. He's very complimentary of the padded clothing I make for underneath his smelting apron.

As for me, I'm here for the food and drink! Ever since Jillian, the pretty halfling maid that used to work here, left town the only thing that can fill the hole in my heart is their delicious food!
    " With a broad smile he winks jovially before taking another drink. "They got a new cook about two months ago who is a wizard in the kitchen, really a master of the craft. If you haven't had the pot roast you are missing out..."

After trailing off for a moment Corry's expression grows serious, though not unpleasant. "I've been doing some religious reading, and I am definitely looking at participating in the Call tonight. Last year when the wagon collapsed on that little boy - Harold, I think is his name - I was the first on the scene. I couldn't do anything to get him out from underneath the wheel, but when they got him out I said or did something and his leg mended itself right up! Some traveling sage explained that I might have magic in my blood...I don't know much about that sort of thing, but I do like helping people. If I can help a couple of well-meaning adventurers do good things then I think I have a responsibility to try. It's a little frightening, but there are dark things about in the world and just because I'm small doesn't mean I shouldn't stand up against them. Does that make sense?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn looks at the small earnest man. He bites his cinnamon hard, breaking it, to avoid his bitterness spilling out like rot from a wound.

"You are a good man, then, Corry. Better than me, for sure. I don't know a lot about magic. I do know a bit about charlatans using magic. Magic, true magic, means great power. I hope you do better than I did."

He takes a large swing of his beer.

"It would be hard to do worse, by the stars. But I am being morose. Congratulations! The ales are on me."

If I get the job, I can afford them. If I don't, it won't matter anyway.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Corriander nods and smiles, though there is a tightness around his eyes showing the concern he feels for Olarn. "It's clear that there is more on your mind than my experience with Harold. You left town some time ago and came back changed. I don't know everything that happened and probably can't help even if I did. That said, you need to know that I will listen to your story without judging anytime you are ready to share it. Everyone deserves a chance at redemption - that's something the followers of Sarenrae teach, and I think there is truth in it.

I'm no saint - just a tailor who might have some blessings to share. If I kept them to myself I wouldn't be a good man - I'd just be selfish. If you give your best, well, then that is all anyone can ask of you...

...And thank you for the ale. Now, will you stay to eat with me?
    "

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

"You know what? Ι Think I will. Thanks for listening. Let me buy you lunch. I hope we both get the Call this time. It will be nice to travel with a friendly face."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Brek finds himself in a foyer outside a largish chamber, face to face with a clerk in the middle of some sort of preparation. "Uhhh... Here for the call?" he mutters, by way of greeting. "You're almost an hour and a half early, friend,-" the clerk forces some politeness, despite his urgency. "Why don't you go wait in the Wizard's Grace with the rest of 'em?"

Brek scowls, quickly putting together some details about the local's behavior. "'Spose I might as well," he grunts. With a moderately embarrassed scowl, he adds. "Mind giving me directions?"

Fortunately, the directions are simple, and Brek has no trouble finding the tavern. He walks in, wondering at the dichotomy of wizardry and grace, considering the latter to be a better descriptor of clerics, at the very least. The place is busy, but not crowded, and Brek finds himself oddly put at ease. Disreputable establishments would never be so clean, nor so well trafficked, at least not without the refuse that tends to follow, and the unused tables and chairs seem almost genuinely clean. A short, good-natured looking fellow speaks animatedly with a decidedly not short, relatively polite-looking man. Noting empty space at the bar near the Halfling, Brek approaches. "Oy, barkeep!" he barks, gruffly. As a young lady approaches, he carefully dons a mask of gentleness over his brusque mannerisms. "Got anything a Dwarf would enjoy?" The comely young lady brings a thick-looking ale and winks. Brek takes a cautious sip, discovers the contents to be almost certainly Dwarven of origin, and smiles broadly. "Good lass!" he exclaims, and cheerfully drains the mug.

When she returns with a second, he sips it slower, making a point to wonder at the various flavors and aromas hidden in the hoppy ale.

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

As Corry eats he notes the arrival of an unfamiliar dwarf on the stool next to him. When the newcomer downs a mug of Five Kings' he smiles and watches as the dwarf has a second, taking his time with it. "Hello, friend dwarf. I take it the beer is to your liking? Lucy, that's the barmaid, will keep them coming as long as you are good with coin and behave. It's a fine brew, too - I don't think it actually hails from the land of the Five Kings to the east, but the dwarves who brew it do. Fine stuff, indeed...

My name is Corriander. You can call me Corry if you like. My friend here is Olarn. What brings you to Breachill?
    "

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Having made no overture himself, Brek is only a little bit surprised when the Halfling greets him openly. He nods in response to the first question, taking a few extra moments to feel out the little fellow's words before responding himself. "Not recent transplants, then," he grumbles. At the unsure expression, he barks out a short laugh. "Seeing as I am from The Mountains, I'da recognized the brew if they were!"

He chortles quietly, taking a break from words to enjoy another sip or two. "Well met, Master Corriander- err, Corry, I suppose. Master Olarn." He inclines his head slightly, politely to both men in turn. "You can call me Brek. And I suppose I'm not well and truly from The Mounts, as much as the foothills south of here, though I've made the journey a few times."

At his final question, Brek looks genuinely confused. "Meanin' no offense, but what reason other than The Call could there be?" Of course, the not-so-subtle implication that there's no other reason to travel to Breachill is indeed offensive, but what else do you expect from a Dwarf?

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

"Oh, well I was born in these parts," responds Corry without showing signs of taking offense. "If you aren't from here the Call is certainly a popular event. But you said you have been to the Mountains of the Five Kings? I have never traveled further than a couple of towns down the road - what is it like to see the mountains? Please, tell us all about it!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn takes another swing of his ale. He has seen people smelling it before, but never got the point. He politely nods his head when the dwarf addresses him, but he is otherwise a spectator to Corry's irrepressible good cheer.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Oy, The Mountains are jus' the most beautiful! The way the igneous protrusions thrust through and between the sedimentary layers make the walls seem to come alive! The torchlights glitter when you pass a crystal vein, and send the shadows dancing all around. There's more types of crystal in 100 yards than you could shake a stick at in a thousand years! And time to time, we dredge a new mine or chasm, finding..." It quickly becomes apparent that Brek could, and would be more than comfortable, to lead the entire tavern on a lecture series involving the geological formations in the Five Kings Mountains, and may well do just that without interruption... He only barely pauses to breathe in the heady ale and take a quick sip before diving into another monologue of the various substrates and mineralogies native to the region.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Corry listens politely until it is obvious that Brek is more interested in the geology of the mountains than Corry is. During one of the dwarf's breaks for liquid refreshment he politely interjects, "That all sounds quite interesting, Mr. Brek. Can you tell us about the people there? I must admit to not being familiar with all of the technical terms you have used, but I do find that people all over have certain things in common. What makes the dwarves of the Mountains so good at brewing, for example?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn's eyes had glazed over after a few seconds of rock-describing but he tried not to show it, be eating and drinking. He is in awe, both of the dwarf and of Corry, who seems to be enjoying this.

When the discussion goes to ale, Olarn sighs inwardly from relief.

"Dwarven ale, that is something I am familiar with, too. One of the best, for sure."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Brek's brows furrow in confusion. "The people? 'Eh, just like any other, I suppose." He raises his mug in silent salute (and agreement) of Olarn, before taking another long, slow draught.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

When his redirect falls flat Corry smiles and shrugs. "Part of what makes the Wizard's Grace so nice is the fine drinks, but you cannot go wrong with their food either. Most of it is locally grown or raised, so it is always fresh. I have always enjoyed a nice hearty cut of beef with this beer - shall we see if they have anything today?" he asks. As the two nod their ascent he gets Lucy's attention and orders a hearty meal for himself (of 3/4 portions when compared to the dwarf- and human-sized meals presumably coming for the others). "It's no use showing up at the Call hungry, am I right?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Brek grunts assent and approval between slow droughts. When the barmaid- no, Lucy returns with a steaming slab of steak, he sighs contentedly into his mug. He winks at the young woman with a wide grin. "Man after my own 'eart, that one!" he grumbles, digging into the plate with gusto.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Algar enters the tavern and sees a few locals milling about, most eating or drinking, but clearly watching for who will show up to the Call for Heroes. Trinil, the barkeep, brings a 'famous' lentil stew that is traditional for those about to answer the Call.

Olarn and Corry spot each other and sit down to visit.

Brek joins the others in the bar, having arrived a little early for the Call. The dwarf finds some ale from his homeland that can satisfy his tastes.

The trio talks over several points, building comradery. Algar notices the trio, but is enjoying his peace and quiet. The other locals are glad to see obvious outlanders comingling with some local folks and hearing that some will respond to the Call. Most have stopped pretending to eat or drink and openly listen to whatever discussion is going on.

Trinil interjects after making sure the trio has a serving of lentil stew to go with the drinks, "I don't mean to assume, but you all seem to be here for the Call. You don't want to be late, it is almost noon now and the council should be starting soon."

[spoiler = actions] You all are welcome to talk as you like. Technically the barkeep is a named NPC (Trinil Uskwold a human female innkeeper), but I don't mind adding Lucy to the staff as well. The town isn't really big enough to need much staff beyond the owner and chef, but this is fantasy after all. But whenever you finish, the Call is at noon. There is a small social encounter before you actually go in, so when you are ready, just say you leave for the call or head to the call or whatever and I will progress the story to the next big moment. [/spoiler]
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-03-31 at 02:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia
    hearing the comment from Trinil "I don't mean to assume, but you all seem to be here for the Call. You don't want to be late, it is almost noon now and the council should be starting soon." collecting her things then she pays for her meal and drink and looking at the others gathered for the call. Heading out the door to the meeting of the counsel for the call.
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-31 at 04:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Brek starts at the barkeep's sudden statement. "Oy, best get to it, then! Thanks fer the lentils." With one last, long draw, he downs the rest of the ale. Sighing, he firmly places the mug back atop the bar while pushing himself out from it. He has to hop just a little to get to the floor, but manages to make it look kind of dignified.

He sets off towards the town hall at a brisk pace, noting the sudden convergence of more than a handful of locals. He glances up at the giant bronze wizard as he approaches the door, still wondering idly at the history of this town.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Finishing his ale, Olarn takes the a ritual bite of the lentil soup and goes to answer the Call. His cinnamon stick in his mouth, weapons at hand, he strides out, keeping pace with Corry.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Algar attacks his stew with gusto; one does not perform thrilling heroics on an empty stomach and the simple fare brings back memories. When finished, he thanks his host and nods to the others that are rising to head to the Call as he turns to make his way there himself.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Corry, who expected the soup and had finished his before the announcement, carefully paid for his meal and climbed down off the bench. With his usual smile and personable attitude he follows the others out towards the call, shaking hands and saying goodbye to the patrons near his path. "We have several new folks here for the Call today - it will be interesting to meet them all," he says to Olarn as he walks quickly enough to keep up with the large man. "I wonder what skills they all bring to the table..."