New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

The door is unlocked and as it swings open he sees four monuments looming in the middle of this dark and somber room. They appear to be sepulchers with a different visage carved into each. The carved figures are lying in repose with their arms crossed and each appears to have different features, so these are not just generic sepulchers, but specific to whoever is buried in them. There is a wide open space about 10' into the room on the right that you can see around a little bit to another wall. In the very southeast of the room is another door. There are no lights in here and you don't see any movement or hear anything going on.

Spoiler: map
    Show

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    You can't reach the southeast door without passing by the big open space directly. You could go around the back of the sepulchers and use them as cover. They stand about 4' high, so most of the party could easily hide behind them and peek over into the opening to the east. If you close the door behind you, you can light a torch and not worry about the birds spotting you, though anything in this area would be able to spot you.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-07-22 at 08:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Remaining cautious, Algar leads the group around behind the sepulchers, having everyone keep low, while he and Brek peak over periodically.

3. - Top - End - #273

You can't see far in this pitch darkness, but you can just make out two strange flagstones in the floor at the edge of your vision. It is impossible to tell what they might be from back here. The northern part of where your vision ends appears to be a wall, though the southern part where you can see the strange flagstones appears to continue on. You still don't hear or see anything that would indicate this area being occupied.
    Show

Show
    If you want to perceive more than just your passive perception, you will have to roll it. Only Brek and Algar can make anything out. What next?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Algar whispers to the others, "There is an open area, some kind or large room. There is also a door. I cannot see into the large room far enough to make out much, so I say we try the door."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Can we light a torch or something? If no one is here, then it would be great to be able to see..." whispers Corry.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye," Brek grunts. "We're gonna 'ave to anyway, go on to it." He crawls around the sepulchers to the split in the wall, hoping to interpose, should something be planning an ambush.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move to the spot 3 square to the right- obviously, around the sepulchers. (1d20)[9] stealth

7. - Top - End - #277

Algar moves around to the door while Brek flanks the upper part of the opening. Brek can see further between an opening in the wall to the south, but not much more into the room. Ophilia follows Corry who sticks near Algar so as not to get lost or surprised.

Show

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Corry asked to light a torch and Brek agreed, but no one actually said who was lighting it or who had one to light. I know Algar was only proposing to check out the door, but no real motion had happened besides Brek moving over closer to the opening. You aren't far apart and can all easily rejoin together. Remember it is pitch black, so unless you make much noise or your opponent has dark vision, they're unlikely to be able to detect you.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Algar shrugs and steps out into the larger room.

9. - Top - End - #279

NecromancerGuy

At Brek's confirmation that it is alright, Corriander says a quick prayer and suddenly his light mace, held in his hand, bursts into light like a torch. "If anyone wants one for themselves, it isn't hot," he says, demonstrating by holding the mace head in a hand and briefly dousing the light. "It's also easy to hide again if needed. Just let me know."

10. - Top - End - #280

Exclamation Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Algar shrugs and steps out into the main room and many things happen almost at once. He immediately notices that further into the large room stand 5 humanoid shaped figures, but far too skinny. Corry also casts his light spell, illuminating the room behind Algar. Almost as one 5 bone white faces turn to look in the group's direction. Algar can see that they have skeletal faces and their shambling movements as they start to move toward the group definitely identifies them as animated skeletons of some sort. They rush at the group as quick as they can, but it is a long hallway and they were gathered closer to the other end. At the back is a skeleton that is acting a little different, gesturing and wielding a large halberd and wearing half-plate mail instead of a scimitar and wearing rotting chain-mail, like the other 4. Two in the middle have shortbows drawn while the other two have shortbows on their backs for use if needed. The two with shortbows fire arrows at Algar. There is a room to the south, a door further down the big open cavern to the east(W5) and a door to the north(G1).

Spoiler: Algar
    Show
    Shortbow 1 attack:(1d20+6)[14] Shortbow 2 attack: (1d20+6)[22] Shortbow 1 damage: (1d6)[5] piercing Shortbow 2 damage: (1d6)[4] piercing

Spoiler: Skeletons
    Show

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Show
    Brek is hidden still at this point, though he can easily step out and do what he wants. Corry is still back near the door and doesn't really know what is going on. I will run Ophilia as a backup protector (which is how she usually acted, shooting from a distance). You assume that they are all your run-of-the-mill skeletons, though the one in the back appears to have better gear (halberds have reach and half-plate offers more protection).

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Algar takes the arrow on his shield, immediately moving toward the nearest foe and smashing it with his shield. His warning to the others is terse, "Skeletons."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reaction to use shield block (shield was up due to defend exploration activity). Hardness 5 blocks all damage.

1. Stride to G5
    2. Strike w/ shield (1d20+7)[14] for (1d6+4)[7] bludgeoning
    3. Raise shield

Will use reaction to defend an ally is possible or to shield block any hit that won't break the shield.

12. - Top - End - #282

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 1
    Show
    Corriander Taylor
    Neutral Good Halfling Angelic Sorcerer, Level 1, HP 14/14, Speed 25 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Twilight Halfling), Local Scion
    AC 15, Fort 5, [B]Ref[/B 5, Will 6, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 18
    Conditions: None

"Around the corner? Alright...holy light protect us and smite the undead abominations!" says Corriander with passion as he readies a spell...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Move to A4 and prepare to cast Divine Lance at the first skeleton he sees. (1d20+7)[18] Ranged Spell Attack roll vs AC, (1d20+7)[26] (20/x2), (1d4+4)[6] [Good] damage, (1d4+4)[5] critical strike damage

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Brek grunts, having seen the skeletons just as Algar did. He peers out from behind his cover and unleashes a volley of force bolts on the better-armed of their foes.

Spoiler: Brek, round 1
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 19/19, Speed 20
    AC 13, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 7, Perc 5, Darkvision
    Warhammer +5 (1d8+2 Bludgeoning)
    Force Bolt auto-hit (1d4+1 Force) 1/1 focus
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Conditions
    Call on Ancient Blood: 1/1 (heritage, reaction, save vs spell)
    Drain Bonded item: 1/1 (wizard, re-cast spell)
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 1/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 0/1

Cast magic missile, using all three actions to launch 3 bolts at the biggest guy:
    (3d4+3)[13] damage

14. - Top - End - #284

Algar moves forward and tries to slam the nearest skeleton with his shield, but the skeleton just catches the shield and knocks it aside, avoiding any damage. Corry moves up to within range to use his divine lance, squarely hitting the skeleton at J4 and it collapses in shrieking dust as it the good energy overcomes it. Brek uses the wall as cover as he unleashes a trio of force bolts on the largest skeleton, hitting it squarely in the chest. It appears to pause for a second as its bones break and look around for who dared attack it directly. It then continues to direct the other skeletons on attacking, though looking a little worse for wear. Ophlia steps over behind Corry and fires 2 arrows at the Skeleton at J6, but they both just get caught in the chainmail, clearly not having made contact with anything solid underneath as they freely move around.

The skeletons then start attacking back. The one nearest Algar (H5 to G4) takes a 5-foot step to the diagonal as the next nearest rushes up to flank him (J6 to G6). As the latter one is rushing up, it drops its shortbow and takes out its scimitar. The last regular Skeleton (L6 to I4) moves up closer and uses its shortbow to attack Algar. Finally the larger skeleton moves up closer as well, preparing to attack.

Spoiler: Algar
    Show
    You get an attack of opportunity against the skeleton at G6, the other one used a step to avoid it. So assuming you don't kill it here are the damage: G4: A1:(1d20+6)[22] vs AC for (1d6+2)[4] slashing, A2:(1d20+7)[16] vs AC for (1d6+2)[8] slashing. G6: A1:(1d20+6)[12] vs AC for (1d6+2)[8] slashing, A2:(1d20+7)[17] vs AC for (1d6+2)[8] slashing. I4:A1(1d20+6)[18] vs AC for (1d6)[2] piercing, A2:(1d20+6)[12] vs AC for (1d6)[5] slashing.

Show

Show
    Alright you are making progress, but Algar looks in trouble. Now what?
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-08-03 at 03:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Algar doesn't have the Attack of Opportunity feat, so he doesn't get an AOO.

Previous round Reaction to shield block that first attack, doesn't beat the hardness of the shield. The rest miss AC20 (18 plus raised shield for 20). AC is 18 verses the flanking skeletons, other than the blocked attack, all still miss.

Why did the skeletons have +6 on the first attack and +7 on the second? Forceful add +1, but the multiple attack penalty (-5) still kicks in, so +6 should drop to +2.

1. STRIKE w/ shield @ skeleton G6 (1d20+4)[21] for (1d6+4)[5]
    2. STEP to F5
    3. RAISE SHIELD (+2 AC)

Reaction will be same, shield block any hit that won't break shield or defend ally, whichever comes first.

Algar deflects one blow off his shield; the rest fail to find purchase, blades glancing off armor and arrows bouncing off shield. He takes a swing at the flanking foe, trying to bash it with his shield as he steps back into a more defensible (hopefully) position. "Getting crowded in here."

16. - Top - End - #286

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 2
    Show
    Corriander Taylor

"Algar, get out of there! Don't let yourself get surrounded!" calls Corriander as he sends another lance of light at one of the skeletons attacking his ally.

Show
    Cast Divine Lance at the skeleton at G4. (1d20+7)[12] Ranged Spell Attack roll vs AC, (1d20+7)[10] (20/x2), (1d4+4)[7] [Good] damage, (1d4+4)[5] critical strike damage

Corry also draws his light mace.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Brek starts forward hurriedly, the visual odd with his blocky frame. However, when he approaches the nearest skeleton, he raises an open fist instead of bringing his warhammer to bear. "Ain't gettin' surrounded on my watch!" he barks, opening his fist. A burst of flame rushes from his hands, enveloping most of the attacking skeletons.

Spoiler: Brek, round 2
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 19/19, Speed 20
    Conditions
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 1/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 0/1

move to F/4
    Cast burning hands (without widen). It should hit all three except G/6. I would love for Corry's attack to go after G/6 instead.
    (2d6)[4] damage, basic reflex DC 16.

18. - Top - End - #288

Algar quickly bashes the skeleton at G6 before stepping over so that his flank is protected. Corry tries to blast the skeleton at G4 with his Divine Lance again, but the skeleton is easily able to sidestep it, as the Lance goes 30 ft before fizzling out. Brek then steps up to F4 and blasts the remaining skeletons with his burning hands. The first skeleton manages to move, though not completely out of the way, as flames leap up its form, burning away most of the remaining cloth. The archer skeleton at I4 is deft enough to completely jump out of the way, and the big guy at I5 got caught in it a little too, as the flames burn the cloth that hasn't already rotted away on his armor. Both the skeletons that were hit start making a strange chuckling sound as they move back to defensive postures, appearing not to have been harmed by the fire at all. Opillia ditches her bow and rushes forward to slash at the Skeleton at G4. She lands a solid strike, though the skeleton doesn't seem as hurt as it should have been.

The skeletons then push their attacks. The archer skeleton steps to his right (from I4 -> I3). He then fires at Ophilia, but she catches it on her shield with no problem. The Skeleton at G4 turns his attention to Brek, and attacks, sweeping the attack over to Algar as well. The big skeleton swings its halberd and attacks Algar.

Spoiler: Farmerbink/Brek
    Show
    The skeleton at G4 also gets an attack of opportunity against you as you step up to use Burning Hands. (1d20+6)[12] vs AC for (1d6+2)[3] slashing damage. The skeleton swings his scimitar at you for: (1d20+6)[13] vs AC for (1d6+2)[7] slashing damage. I think as a wizard Brek would recognize that the skeletons have damage resistance to fire and likely slashing from his observations of the fight this round. Roll lore to remember anything more.

Spoiler: stack/Algar
    Show
    The sweep from the Skeleton at G4 attacks you for (1d20+2)[9] (this is usually +6, but -5 for MAP, then +1 for sweep trait) for (1d6+2)[3] slashing damage. The large skeleton uses its halberd (with 10ft reach) to attack you from where it stands for (1d20+11)[21] vs AC for (1d10+4)[6] piercing damage and the second time for (1d20+6)[20] vs AC for (1d10+4)[14]. If either of these connect you must roll at DC17 Will save or be stunned 1. If you crit fail, you suffer an additional 2d6 piercing damage. It looks like the first connects and the second would break your shield if you used it (which you would know from how bad the first hurt when it hit). So you'll have to make 2 saves.

Show

Show
    I actually forgot that the big guy had a weapon with reach and could've attacked last round. My bad, but he will definitely attack this round. You have downed 2 of them, wounded 1, and have 2 with effectively full HP. This fight isn't looking easy, though you all are holding your own. Let me know what you are doing next round.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-08-10 at 12:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Shield block only affects 1 attack. He would use it against the first since the attacks against Brek missed and the first attack wouldn't break the shield, which were the conditions I stated previously. Therefore the shield reduces the 1st attack by 5, resulting in 1 damage each against Algar and his shield from that attack and the full damage against the second. Couldn't have rolled 1 lower for that, could you?

15 total damage results in 5 remaining HP

Will 1 (1d20+5)[14] mental if needed (2d6)[6] (fail, but not crit)
    Will 1 (1d20+5)[22] mental if needed (2d6)[5] (success)

Result:Stunned1
    Action 1: Raise Shield
    (if not stunned 2) Action 2: Lay on Hands (self) +6 HP, 11 HP total
    (if not stunned 1+) Action 3: Strike G4 w/ shield (1d20+7)[13] for (1d6+4)[10]

Reaction Shield block any hit that won't break shield or defend ally, whichever comes first

Algar takes most of the first halberd blow on the shield, but the shock leaves him open to the follow-up. He keeps his shield high and channels light into himself, staunching the bleeding.
    Last edited by stack; 2020-08-10 at 01:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"Augh!" Brek grunts, as he pays the price for his dangerous ploy. He grunts sourly, "Blasted things don't burn!" he then cries out, more out of irritation than anything else.

Stuck in melee with an angry skeleton, the stocky wizard does his best to make good on his promise. He lifts his Warhammer, and goes to work like he knows how to use it.

Spoiler: Brek, round 3
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 12/19, Speed 20
    Conditions
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 0/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 0/1

Hammer time!
    (1d20+5)[21] warhammer
    (1d8+2)[9] damage

if I get lucky and that killed him, we'll step back and use my force bolt on the halberd-wielder for: (1d4+1)[5] damage.
    If not, try try again!
    (1d20)[17] attack
    (1d8+2)[4] damage

If that killed him, step back.
    If not, try try try again?
    [roll]1d20-5]/roll] "attack"
    (1d8+2)[8] damage

21. - Top - End - #291

Algar lays hands on himself, before raising his shield again. Brek smashes the skeleton in front of him to dust with his warhammer before stepping back to use force bolt on the big skeleton. Corry dashes around to the side for better positioning before using another divine lance against the skeleton at I3. The skeleton he hits turns to dust, leaving only the large skeleton to deal with. Ophilia pulls back out her bow, as she steps back and fires into the remaining guy at point blank range. She fires two shots, the first misses wide, but the second connects with the armor punching into it. Again the skeleton doesn't seem to notice anything.

The big guy continues his all out assault on Algar, swinging his Halberd to devastating effect.

Spoiler: DarkOne/Corry
    Show
    I rolled a 17+7 = 24 spell attack for 1+4 = 5 damage on your divine lance.

Spoiler: stack/algar
    Show
    I just went back and was looking at the champion. I think you forgot about your deific weapon ability that increases the damage of your longsword (favored weapon of Iomedae) from d8 to d10. The main reason I was looking was for rules about Lay on Hands. It has a somatic component which gives it the manipulate trait, so it triggers an attack of opportunity from the big skeleton guy to attack you and possibly disrupt it. AoO: (1d20+11)[14] for (1d10+4)[6] damage, which triggers another DC17 will save if it hits for stun 1.
    His actual attacks: 1-(1d20+11)[24] for (1d10+4)[10] piercing damage. 2-(1d20+6)[26] for (1d10+4)[11] piecing. and 3-(1d20+1)[20] for (1d10+4)[10]piercing damage. Each of those that actually hit have the DC17 Will save or stunned 1.

Show

Show
    Alright, DarkOne hasn't been on it a bit, so I just went ahead and autobotted him for this round, repeating what he had been doing. You only have one foe left, but man he is strong and hard to kill. He is looking like he has taken quite a bit of damage, though he has taken a licking and keeps on ticking so far. Skeletons are so hard to kill. Hopefully you guys can pull it out, though once your meat shield is gone, it'll be hard for the rest of you to stand for long.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-08-13 at 12:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

"Bah! Get up, man!" the Dwarf barks, as Algar falls. His hands grip the warhammer menacingly as his gaze flickers to the floor for a heartbeat.

"Always the Dwarves have to save the day," he grumbles irritably, as a faint glow seems to arise between his hands and the hammer. Once more, he summons forth a few bolts of energy, striking the skeleton with perfect accuracy.

Spoiler: Brek, round 4
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 12/19, Speed 20
    Force Bolt auto-hit (1d4+1 Force) 0/1 focus
    Conditions
    Drain Bonded item: 0/1 (wizard, re-cast spell)
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 0/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 0/1

Sadly, drain bonded item is in fact an action, so my re-cast of Magic Missile can only be two projectiles.
    Hopefully (2d4+2)[8] damage to big baddy will do something useful.

23. - Top - End - #293

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 4
    Show
    Corriander Taylor

"Hang on, Algar!" calls out Corriander as he sees the champion struggle against his wounds. "Shelyn, carry him on angel's wings! Heal his wounds!"

Show
    Cast Angelic Halo and Heal on Algar to heal him for (1d8+10)[16] HPs (1d8 +2 from Halo and +8 from Heal being cast with two actions this round).

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Algar covers himself with his shield instinctively as he returns to consciousness. The situation is not ideal, but laying down and playing dead is not in him. He rises, ready to weather the inevitable blows.
    Spoiler
    Show
    16/20 HP

1. Raise Shield
    2. Stand
    3. Strike w/ shield (1d20+7)[23] for (1d6+4)[5] bludgeoning can't, not in reach
    Step to G5
    OR
    Stand (if the first attempt is interrupted)

will shield block first attack regardless of shield status (5 hardness, 14/20 HP remaining)
    Last edited by stack; 2020-08-17 at 06:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295

Brek sees his comrade fall, and feels himself pull power through his warhammer, shooting off two more bolts of energy. They strike unerringly into the skeleton, who has no defense from such spells. The skeleton finally shatters and turns to dust as its armor and weapon fall to the ground. Corry rushes to Algar's side and heals him quickly. Algar returns to consciousness, trying to raise his shield and stand against the skeleton, but Corry reassures him and helps him sit up before helping him stand up.

Looking around you can see that the weapons the other skeletons were using dropped where their dust piles are, and the halberd and armor of the large skeleton dropped where he is. You see a few cracked and open gravestones in the floor that must have been where these guardians came up from, though you don't know what set them off. There is a door to the north (looks like it'll go back to the hallway you first entered by, a door at W5 to the east and an open passageway at F5 to the room to the south.

Show

Show
    Corry still has his light rock to shine around and see with, though he can try to hide it. It'll be like putting a flashlight in your pocket. You can wrap in enough cloth to hide, but at that point it'll be a bit bulky to do anything with. You could also stick it in your backpack wrapped in cloth, but it'll be an interact action to retrieve again.
    Algar is back up with 16 HP, Brek and Corry used quite a few spells and are mostly spent. If you want to know more about the room or the weapons/armor, you'll have to investigate them. Where to next? You can take a short rest to replenish a little bit, but you've only been down here about 1 hour and it took you about 4 hours to start down here this morning after you left town, so it's probably about mid-day, but no where near time for a full rest.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Algar holds up a hand, calling for a pause. "Give me a moment to recover, please. I am somewhat drained after that. I can play the role of anvil, but it takes a toll."
    Spoiler
    Show
    would like to refocus, lay on hands, then refocus again (20 minutes + 1 action)

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Brek grunts, somehow to the affirmative. "Keep an eye out, Corry," he rumbles, glancing into the darkness at either side.

Without another word, he backs to a wall and falls to a seated position. He takes out his Spellbook and rests the heavy tome across his crossed legs. While Algar focuses on his own preparations, Brek pores over the pages, dedicating the next few minutes to holding in mind the weaves of the arcane.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Brek will refocus as well, refreshing the focus pool used to cast force bolt. He's still somewhat running on fumes, but has his hammer, force bolt, and a widen-able color spray at the ready.

28. - Top - End - #298

NecromancerGuy

"Will do - I have to keep the light on, though...hope it doesn't attract attention," responds Corriander as he watches his allies settle down to take a brief rest. He looks around and chooses a spot where he can see down the most paths possible and watches carefully for signs of danger...

29. - Top - End - #299

Algar refocuses, uses his Lay on Hands and then refocuses again, taking about 20 minutes to rest. Brek keeps a watchful eye while he refocuses as well. Corry just sits down and rests doing his best to watch around. Ophillia collects her arrows and a few more from the skeletons to ensure she doesn't run out.

Show
    There is a door back North (the direction you came from), a door East at W5, and a chamber South at F5. Nothing bothered you while you were resting. Did anybody want the halberd or armor off the big guy? A scimitar or shortbow off one of the others?

30. - Top - End - #300

NecromancerGuy

Once it is clear that they won't be disturbed, Corry begins looking around the chambers where everyone is resting, using his light to look into corners and inspect the remains of the undead closely. "I wouldn't want to wear any of this - at least not without about a week of disinfecting it - but some of this could be valuable. Should we try and take any of it? Or would it be more respectful to bury it all...? I've never done this sort of thing before, but it would seem ghoulish to just take stuff for no good reason..." he says to anyone listening as he pokes at the armor and weapons cautiously.

Show
    Search around for loot and interesting things one might find...is that a Perception check? (1d20+5)[6]