New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

"I do feel pretty drained - Shelyn has blessed us today, but my blood is not strong enough to channel her power indefinitely," says Corry in agreement. "I could still perform some mundane healing and perhaps a bolt of light, but that's about it."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

While the group that has already been down the basement talks about getting some rest, Aketes searches through the filing cabinets and desk drawers.
    Spoiler: gargoyleking (Aketes)
    Show
    In the filing cabinets, there are bunch of useless papers that are moldering and falling apart. After searching the drawers and coming up with nothing of note, Aketes pulls a bit harder than he intends on one drawer and finds there is a book tucked in behind the drawer. It appears to be a treatise on Order of the Nail protocols as they relate to both Chelish and Isgeri laws, and explanations of various interpretations of them as they apply to past cases against local criminals. At the beginning of the book is a personalized dedication that reads: “To Lictor Acillmar, with thanks for your interest in my work. Together we shall quell savagery. —Hellknight T. Stagram, Esq.” It appears that this book was highly prized by its owner and it is one of the only ones that is still in good condition in this office. {OOC note: If you aren't familiar with Chelish or Isgeri, feel free to ask, it is background that your character would know}

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Alright, it looks like Pyran, Ophilia, and Vlox will take this time to leave the group and return to a more peaceful life. That leaves Aketes, Arkots, Tristiel, Algar, Brek, and Corry (5 Characters, and 1 bear). When you decide if you are taking a long rest, I will have them part ways with you, so as not to thrust this on the group too much

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

"Without pressing need to continue, we could retire a short distance and make camp. Perhaps some would like to update the town on our findings." Algar suggests in response.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"UrrrrGH! Whoa!... Oh, hello, what's this? Somebody's secret journal maybe? Oh, no just some dusty law book. Oh well."

There had been a loud thud accompaying his initial grunt, but he seemed okay and as he wandered back into the hallway he held a dusty book in his hands. He glanced around and only just realized that he's missed part of the discussion. Replaying it back in his head he quickly sussed it out and nodded thoughtfully.

"Well, I'm not terribly tired yet, we really only just got started. But then again, I know Vlox had a scary moment with those skeletons, and Arktos is still suffering from his run-in with that bat. He took the brunt of it, really. I suppose we could take the rest of the day and get him back to where he needs to be. I'm not the most skilled with a bandage, to be honest. I know the basics, but they're harder to implement than I thought."

True to his word, Atktos's bandages seemed to have been applied improperly, were hanging loose, and seemed to have been completely ineffective.

5. - Top - End - #365

NecromancerGuy

"I think we should find a safe place outside the keep and settle down for a bit. Anyone who wants can go back to town to report our findings. If they come back, great - if not then no hard feelings. Once we get ready to camp I will take the first watch. Sound good?" says Corry as he starts to lead back out of the keep.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Algar nods. "I can take a late watch; darkness does not trouble me."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Tristiel

Tristiel has been quiet for a while. Perhaps she's tired from all the fighting? When the subject of rest comes up, she pipes up. "I uh, I like the idea of resting. I can take the last watch if you want. I have no problems getting up early."
    Characters in play:

8. - Top - End - #368

GnomeWizardGuy

As they head outside, Aketes approaches Corry. "Once we get settled in could you take a look at Arktos? I'm worried I didn't do a good job on him, and I'd hate to lose him. He's a one of a kind now, you know..."

9. - Top - End - #369

NecromancerGuy

"Um, sure...? Is he injured?" responds Corry, a moment of confusion apparent in his response. "I'm not a veterinarian or anything, but I can bind simple injuries..."

Spoiler: If needed, a Medicine check
    Show
    Treat Wounds (1d20+5)[13] vs DC 15 to heal Arktos (2d8)[8] HPs (failed the skill check)

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Algar intervenes. "Allow me." A glowing hand quickly mends any wounds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    lay on hands, rest 10 minutes and repeat until al full

11. - Top - End - #371

The group heads outside, back the way they had come to ensure they didn't bumble into an ambush. Once out the group takes stock of themselves and Algar offers to use his magical healing ability to get everyone back to 100%. It takes a couple of hours, but everyone is finally healed and definitely ready for bed. Ophilia, Vlox, and Pyran volunteer to report back to town, and mention that this has been a little more than they expected, so now that there are more than enough people to handle this, they will leave it those of you better qualified for such work. The group sets up watch and makes the best of their camp, using the castle walls and sheer cliffs to guard two of their sides and keeping a wary eye out on the other two sides and the entrance back into the castle.

Spoiler: map
    Show

Show
    Alright, you can assume the night goes smoothly and just advance to the next day. Just let me know where you want to go. Tristiel hasn't mentioned it to the other group yet, but she got a hold of the blueprints for the citadel and made a map of the rooms to label where they are and what they were called, though it is from back in the hellknight days, so it may have changed a little since then. Yall were in the lictor's office last, though there have been other doors you could have tried along the way. Just let me know what yall are thinking (go back to the previous post to see the northern area with the lables)

12. - Top - End - #372

GnomeWizardGuy

"Oh, now that's pretty handy!"

Once Algar finishes and lifts his hand away, Aketes pulls away the bandages to inspect them. He smiles in appreciation, nodding his thanks to Algar.

"You know, that gives me an idea. I'll have to experiment a little bit, but maybe I can make it work... Thanks!"

Aketes and Arktos help keep watch and the next morning, the hafling seems nearly ready to go. While everyone is preparing to get moving though, he produces a small crystal on a chain and a cat shaped figurine made from Jade, both seem to have thin chains from which to hang.

"So, we found these in the prison room and I'd like to get them attached in case we need a little extra oomph. If somebody has the tools I'd appreciate a bit of help."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    It's a potency crystal and a jade cat figurine. Just need a repair kit and 10 minutes each. No skill check to my understanding.
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2020-09-17 at 11:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Once awake, armored, and breakfasted, Algar looks at the keep. "I suppose we finish sweeping this floor; may as well pick up where you lot stopped yesterday."

14. - Top - End - #374

NecromancerGuy

Corry greets the new day with a smile and some stretching. "I'm going to have to make some better sleeping blankets - that was a rougher night than I expected," he says with a yawn. "When we get back to town if anyone else wants more I can try to help them out too. But for now, let's see if we can't make some progress here...I would prefer to be in the middle as we explore, but if we need someone to sneak I can go in front. I don't see in the dark, though..."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Algar taps his shield. "I can lead."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Brek nods, gruffly agreeing with Algar. He spends the morning studying an almost comically oversized tome while Aketes petitions the others for help.

Once everyone's ready to go, Brek takes up his position as rear guard, hauling the warhammer over one shoulder while he eyes their surroundings warily. "Makes sense to me. Best to not be taken unawares."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So Brek is in the back, but I suggest going back in where we were and checking the unopened doors there. Related, is there somewhere you can link a map? Doesn't have to show the whole place necessarily, but the most recently-linked images aren't real useful for a general overview.

17. - Top - End - #377

Spoiler: map overview
    Show

Spoiler: musings
    Show
    I have updated the map with what the other group has explored as well. I assume you all have shared experiences and stories, so you kind of know what is around. In the immediate room next to where you camped there is the door to the north and one to the east leading to the waiting chamber or going further north there is the door to the reading room. Just let me know where you would like to go.

18. - Top - End - #378

GnomeWizardGuy

Aketes thanks Algar for the assistance with attaching his talismans. He offers up a couple of darkvision potions left behind by their now absent vompanions. Giving one to anyone who needs one.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Looks like we can just take that first door from the archives into the waiting room.

Aketes is happy to follow Algar in, Arktos can take a hit as needed, though he's low on AC.

19. - Top - End - #379

NecromancerGuy

"Shall we check out this "reading room" next?"" asks Corry. "I'm not a complete bookworm, but do enjoy a good story now and then. Maybe we will find something less interested in eating our faces and more interested in a good yarn..."

20. - Top - End - #380

GnomeWizardGuy

"Worth a shot." Aketes says as he loads an oversized chunk of metal into his slingstaff just in case. He stations Arktos next to the door and stands just next to him, ready to go in once the door is opened.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Algar takes position, shield raised, ready to block the opening when the door is opened.
    Spoiler
    Show
    defend activity, so shield raised. Someone else needs to open the door since his hands are full (unless he can interact to open with a sword in hand, didn't check), but he will present himself as the first target.

22. - Top - End - #382

Spoiler: gargoyleking
    Show
    You do know how to use the talismans? Did you identify what they were for sure, I can't remember?

The group makes their way back through the citadel by the giant dead bat and into what is marked the reading room on Tristiel's map. Although many of the circular tables and heavy wooden writing desks here are tipped over or otherwise ransacked, the bookshelves against the wall and the nature of furniture suggest this was once a room where significant legal research took place. Many pieces of books are left, and they seem to contain mostly history of the Order of the Nail from reading their spines.
    Spoiler: Map
    Show

Show
    I went ahead and arrayed yall around the room since there was nothing dangerous in here. You can stay and read the books to learn more about the history of the Order of the Nail or you can continue to explore.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-09-21 at 11:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Algar keeps an eye on the unopened door. "While there may be useful information here, I suggest we wait and investigate further when we need to take a breather later, rather than stopping while fresh."

(So my vote is press on, Algar using defend and entering overflow gallery)
    Last edited by stack; 2020-09-21 at 12:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384

NecromancerGuy

Corry nods. "We can come back here to recover when we need and check out the books then," he agrees as he gets ready to follow Algar to the next room.

25. - Top - End - #385

GnomeWizardGuy

Aketes nods and sets himself and Arktos up as before, ready to act should the need arise.

26. - Top - End - #386

Algar readies his shield and leads the group into the waiting area. Immediately Algar notes that this open area, with a clear view into the courtroom to the east, is littered with piles of filthy blankets, half-gnawed bones, and other signs that some sort of creature is squatting here. On high alert, he scans the area and sees two small dog-looking creatures to the north. They are in a makeshift bed, but can't be more than a week or two old. Their little noses work the air and catch the strange scent of Algar, immediately growling and showing teeth, but not precisely in Algar's direction.

Spoiler: map
    Show

Show
    I assume Algar stops everyone when he senses 'danger', though these little puppies can't be too dangerous. They are emaciated and very young. Algar briefly glanced around the room, noting that there is only a 3-foot railing separating the galley from the court proper, but he didn't sense any other immediate threats.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Algar ignores the pups as long as they don't become an actual threat, moving forward to get a clear view of the larger room, swinging a leg over the railing and doing a quick check of the northern rooms before pausing to keep an eye on the open passageway to the South.

28. - Top - End - #388

Algar does a more thorough inspection of the room, moving out into the court proper, but doesn't see any threats. There is a large break in the wall, leading back outside to the east and to the north through the rooms up that way. The hallways south is empty as well, ending in a door.

Show
    Just wanted to update real quick, so everyone didn't keep scanning for threats that aren't there. Algar doesn't find anything threatening in his sweep, so this room appears okay. The way north has some water pooling with a muddy lump in the middle. It is too wide to jump easily, though there doesn't seem much point when you could just walk around. Nothing much of note in the room, though if you want to search for anything in particular, just let me know.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-09-22 at 06:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps the goblins will wish to care for the pups."

Algar continues the sweep, opening the North-East door to the small corner room, then proceeding to the waiting room.

30. - Top - End - #390

NecromancerGuy

Corry smiles broadly at the pups until they make it clear they aren't tame or friendly. "Did you all encounter their parents already?" he asks his new companions, his face full of concern for the little animals.

As Algar makes moves to continue exploring he follows closely, eyes open and ears alert.