New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Corry searches diligently until the party gets ready to descend into the dungeon again. As they look into the blackness he shudders, remembering the undead they discovered there yesterday. "Are we going to go down in the dark again? That was really terrifying...I could drink one of those potions Brek identified, the ones that give people the ability to see in the dark...It would only last about ten minutes, so I'm not sure it's worth it..." he says, his un-confidence showing a bit at the intimidating descent before them.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Brek grunts. "You'll be fine, lad. Drink one when it's time to fight, or if you really can't stand it, but use your own magic if we're jus' takin' the stairs." He waits for the others to enter, and takes up position as rearguard once more, hammer and shield readied for whatever may come.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Glad to be of help! If we can I'll happily help you find your ring! I am pretty good at finding things."

He does his best as they search through what's left of the upper floor of the keep, though he keeps getting distracted by some interesting detail or other. Once the group is ready to move into the basement, he takes a position close to the front, right behind Arktos's furry flank.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Using the 'search' exploration activity. (Perception now +8)
    https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=469
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2020-11-10 at 12:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

The group, somewhat trepidatiously, descends back to the vaults below the castle. Algar cautiously peeks around the hidden door they had used and sees the two dead birds from last time, but nothing else. The group creeps out slowly to survey the hall. There are 3 hallways leading North and 3 hallways leading South. The first hallway South has been explored last time and you have a good idea where the second hallway South leads as well. At the end of the hallway are 3 wood doors leading East.

Spoiler: map
    Show

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Everyone is just place marker tokens for now, you don't have to be where I put or in the order I put you. Let me know if you want to head North, South, or East.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

"We know accursed specters are down the first passage, but we also know that they do not range past the room they are in, at least not readily. We can either destroy them now, or leave them and come back later. If we leave them, I suggest taking the second passage on the South, then working our way around the others."

6. - Top - End - #456

NecromancerGuy

"We're as fresh as we can be - I say we try and dispose of the undead while we are at full strength and rested," whispers Corry cautiously. He looks to the others and listens to their responses curiously.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Brek nods firmly at Corriander's suggestion. "Aye. I've no mind to leave the undead lingering when they should be laid to rest." He makes a subtle gesture, more superstitious than religious, to ward against the spirits. "No time like the present."

8. - Top - End - #458

GnomeWizardGuy

"Alright! Lets go see these spectres of yours! Sounds interesting!

Aketes stands by, ready to get started.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Algar nods and leads the way, shield ready. Nearing the room, he gestures to the others to make themselves ready; once set, he advances into the room to draw the specters.
    Last edited by stack; 2020-12-09 at 12:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460

Algar takes the lead, shield up as the group traverses down the originally cleared hallways back to the undead. Aketes is curious and keeps trying to peek around to see what he can. Alak is close behind Algar, keeping a wary eye out. As they approach the room and get ready to go back in, Alak puts his hand on Algar's shoulder to stop him. "Let me go first, usually they build in protection for hellknights. Let us check if that is the case." He then takes a few steps into the room, quickly glancing left and right for any sign of movement. There is a brief stirring of energy near a helmet on a shelf, but nothing else seems to happen. Alak finishes walking into the room over by the helmet, and nothing seems to happen. He holds up his hand indicating you all should wait where you are and he comes back. "It seems that they won't attack hellknights. None of you have the armor, do you have anything else you could do to wear the symbol? Would you rather attack them? They have been disturbed, and are no longer at rest, so either way is fine with me."

Spoiler: map
    Show

Show
    You know the star-burst nail pattern that marks the Order of the Nail, but don't have anything with it on there. You gave Alak some pendants upstairs that he seemed to treat with reverence and told you that they were all but sacred to the hellknights, but he also didn't volunteer to use them, so you'll have to initiate that if you want to try. Otherwise, he seems ready to fight with you, if you would rather try that.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Algar thinks for a moment, "If they are some form of guardian, is there any way to release them aside from fighting them? Putting them peacefully to rest seems the most merciful path."

12. - Top - End - #462

NecromancerGuy

"Agreed - if they are risen against their will, they are in great agony. It may not even be their fault! Can we help them pass peacefully?" asks Corriander, nodding enthusiastically in the darkness. "If not, give me a moment to say a prayer or two before we start, to help make this combat go swiftly..."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Corry can cast Bless and/or Magic Weapon, since we are starting this combat without being surprised. Does anyone have a strong preference or request for one or the other?

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Brek grunts, unconvinced. "Never heard anything about specters and ghosts that was good news. I say we put 'em down, however it takes. I suppose if it can be done peaceful like, I'm not opposed."

He ponders the situation for a few moments, before adding. "If you want to let us handle those pendants from upstairs for a bit, we could at least investigate the room before we tear it apart." His demeanor is relaxed and practical- he won't be offended if the Hellknight refuses, nor will he try to convince him otherwise.

14. - Top - End - #464

Alak thinks for a second at Brek's suggestion. "Oh yes, the pendants. They were only handed out to Hellknight Armigers, so it may work." He hands them out with instructions on how to wear it properly through your belt. He helps the smaller folk fold theirs so that it is displayed properly. He then reports "I didn't see much of note in there. But another look around might not hurt. I do hate to see spirits disturbed. Typically the ones who guard down here either volunteered in life for the honor or were already trapped spirits of Hellknights and were given a higher purpose. But since there are no Hellknights upstairs to guard from hapless intruders anymore, I don't want to see any innocent wanderers get hurt either."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

ALgar dons the symbol; if it will help in the mission, it is a small thing. "If we can pass them unmolested, then perhaps we do not need to fight them at the moment. Warnings can be posted and research done to find a proper ritual, if that is more proper."

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Brek likewise folds and slides the symbol through his belt. "One way or another, we're in agreement. They need to go." He strides confidently into the space, trusting the emblem to protect him, and watches the specters for just a moment to make sure they don't attack before turning his attention to the coffins lining the southern wall.

"Perhaps there's a peaceful way, if I can piece it together."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming the specters don't move to attack, Brek will ignore them entirely, focusing his attention instead on the coffins and any inscriptions or unusual details therein.

I'm hopeful that arcana will be appropriate for deciphering writing or identifying magic. At any rate, the reasonable (to me) skills:
    Arcana +7
    Medicine +6
    Occultism +7
    Religion (untrained) +2

[roll]1d20[roll]
    Fixed OOC, it's a 17! (unmodified)

17. - Top - End - #467

NecromancerGuy

Corriander looks uncomfortable, but stoically allows the Hellknight to affix the emblem to the little halfling's belt. He watches Brek enter the room and follows, inspecting the writings as well...

Show
    Corriander can help with the Religion - (1d20+6)[11]

18. - Top - End - #468

GnomeWizardGuy

Aketes takes one of the pendants and follows the others up, looking at the skull in question curiously, though he mainly seems rather disappointed at the distinct lack of spooky shenanigans. "Well, I guess it's best if we take care of this properly. Anyone have any good ideas short of smashing things?"

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

"Without knowing how they are bound? No, not really. Could have one person return to the entrance and remove the emblem, drawing them for the others to strike. I can take that duty, or defend the one who does."

20. - Top - End - #470

The group discusses how best to proceed. Alak doesn't have any input beyond what he already offered. Brek walks in and sees no materialization of the specters to attack, so proceeds to the ossuaries along the southern wall. There doesn't seem to be much here though. Working with Alak he identifies the creatures and a few important details.

Spoiler: Brek
    Show
    These specters are called Hellcrowns and are LE undead immune to death effects, disease, paralyzed, poison, and unconscious. Alak says priests can usually talk to them, and he thinks they just speak common, but he isn't sure. They fly pretty fast (25 feet) and throw nails to attack. The nail isn't too bad damage on its own, but leaves you with a feeling of enfeeblement and a wound that bleeds freely. It also seems four specific bodies had been chosen for this and so likely they volunteered in life.

Show
    You guys seem to be able to walk through the room unharassed if you just want to explore for now and do something about them another time. Otherwise you can try to call them out and then attack them, or remove your emblems and have them attack you. There is a door to the East in the room, but there is no light anywhere down here, so it is hard to make out any information without going over to investigate more.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Brek scowls, still eyeing the alcoves with naked suspicion. "Bloody mental, if y'ask me. 'Course ya didn't." He grunts, and turns to his companions. "Seems these four-" he points to the effected coffins, "Chose to become these undead guardian things. They like throwin' nails, and leaving nasty bleeders. Might still be brains in there, too. We think they can talk, if they'll give ya time to try it... Unless one o' you's feelin' lucky, I say we move on for now."

Barring prompt disagreement, Brek saunters towards the eastern door. "Any of you folks care to listen in 'afore we kick it down?"

22. - Top - End - #472

NecromancerGuy

Corry nods at Brek's description and moves towards the next door to listen, finishing as the dwarf is done speaking.

Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[18]

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Algar takes position to lead through the door once the listening is complete.

24. - Top - End - #474

The group heads over to the eastern door, though the wood door is pretty much destroyed at this point. With so many interlopers coming through, it is not surprising that most of the doors have either been used for firewood or just hit so many times they are starting to crumble. Doing their best to listen through the doorway, the group does not see, nor hear anything on the other side. The room appears to have a table and some metal-and-stone lockboxes cabinets from the little bit that can be seen.

Show
    There is nothing to indicate any problems on the other side, and it doesn't look like a typical tomb room of any kind. It looks more like a storage area for documents and other valuables. It is also pitch black.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Algar enters the room for a more through inspection, the dark not troubling him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darkvision!

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Brek looks up a bit startled, having expected just a hair more patience from his companion. If forced to consider, he might not be able to explain precisely why. "Oy, not alone ya don't!" he grumbles, as he hoofs it (for a Dwarf) to keep up.

Shocks begin to play along his fingers, as his mind begins to wrap around the beginnings of a spell. He peers into the darkness as few but Dwarves can, immediately scanning the space for threats that need electrocuting.