New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Olarn

Commited to the action, Olarn throws the buckets he is holding to the fire and then starts helping as many villagers as he can get free.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Corry sighs, and calls out to those fighting the fire, "It's too much! We have to get everyone out of here and then get out ourselves! Come on!" Then he turns and continues to direct bystanders out of the building as he walks carefully towards the door himself.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Two actions to direct people out, one to move that direction. Corry will not abandon anyone in there alone, including other PCs, so he does not leave until it looks like everyone else is out too.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia will continue to aid getting people out as she is next to the doors she will wait until the last possible second to evacuate herself

Spoiler: status
    Show

Ophilia
    Neutral Elf Fighter, Level 1, HP 16/16, Speed 30 ft.
    medium
    AC 18(20), Fort 5, Ref 9, Will 3, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Conditions: None

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Algar hops off the dais, getting below the worst of the smoke. He keeps up a steady stream of instruction, pointing and calling. "Try to stay below the smoke. Stay orderly and we can get everyone out of here. You, help the lady there! You, pause a moment, let that row clear! Follow her there. Good, keep it up!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    move 25' south, more diplomacy to coordinate (1d20+5)[25]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

At Corriander's cry, Brek takes a moment to realize the futility of the buckets. Two people can't hope to do much to delay this blaze, much less push it back. "Oy! You 'eard 'im! Buck up 'n move OUT, unless you wanna find out what roast beef feels like, eh!?" the Dwarf cries, bellowing fiercely into the rows of villagers.

Spoiler: Brek, round 4
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 19/19, Speed 20
    AC 13, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 7, Perc 5, Darkvision
    Warhammer +5 (1d8+2 Bludgeoning)
    Force Bolt auto-hit, 30' (1d4+1 Force) 1/1 focus
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Conditions
    Call on Ancient Blood: 1/1 (heritage, reaction, save vs spell)
    Drain Bonded item: 1/1 (wizard, re-cast spell)
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 1/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 1/1

Drop the bucket. Use three actions to coerce villagers into movement. If applicable, I'll use intimidate to get them scurrying. (1d20+2)[4]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Olarn remains committed to trying to fight the fire. He grabs a bucket from the doorway and heads back to try to fight the fire. Brek puts down his bucket and starts directing people to exit. Algar makes his way down from the dais to avoid the smoke, and continues to direct the others to work together, as he tries to cut directly south through the overturned benches. Ophilia maintains her position encouraging people to exit in an orderly manner. Corry gets a few more people out before following himself. The councilors get the last few out and are ready to make their exit as well. The smoke has now gotten so thick you can taste it and it is burning in your lungs.

Spoiler: damage
    Show
    everyone takes damage from smoke.(1d6)[5]

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Since you all worked together and Algar was *really* convincing, you all were able to get the last of the townspeople out. Now you have to decide if you want to leave yourselves or risk this damage to fight the fire and save the building. The councilors will exit next turn anyways, they just didn't have enough actions to help you rescue people and get themselves out. The fire brigade can continue to bring you buckets without worry that any of them will take damage, as that side of the building is not on fire and the smoke isn't pouring out of this room fast enough to cause damage. I put Brek's bucket down next to him, so anyone can pick it up and use it, if desired. You all can form your own bucket brigade and probably get two lines going to throw a bucket on the fire each round, or each can each carry a bucket and throw it on the fire every 3rd round.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Algar hacks to clear this throat, the smoke oppressive. "Everyone out! We aren't slowing it enough and can't breath this smoke."
    Spoiler
    Show
    not officially acting yet; if someone makes a convincing case for staying and fighting the fire, he will help. Lay hands can patch up one person, but not everybody.

8. - Top - End - #68

NecromancerGuy

"Agreed - get out of here! Trying to save the building isn't worth risking more lives - we can rebuild!" cries Corry from below the smoke. At the door he yells, "Once you are all out I can try to heal you - come out this way and get close..."

Show
    First he will use a point of Focus and cast Angelic Halo for it's bonus to healing. Then, once everyone who needs it is in range, Corry will cast Heal, channeling for three actions to heal everyone in a burst for (1d8+2)[10] HPs.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn starts coughing.

"Let's move out. This we cannot save."

He puts words to action and starts to move out of the building. Once he is out he shouts.

"May be we can save the walls. Let's form lines and soak them! Let's go everyone."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Algar exits with the others, doing his part to organize and aid the fire-fighting measures.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia standing near the doors at one side handing off buckets as they arrive in an effort to save the building

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

As the last of the villagers file out of the burning building, Brek turns one last irritated glance on the flames. He backs away cautiously, still anticipating another mephit- Not much chance a single little imp cause this whole blaze, he thinks, as he bumps into the far wall.

Olarn's call has given another voice to the truth of the matter. With a scowl, Brek casts his eyes to the left and right once more. Satisfied that no one remains in the chamber, ducks through the door into the relative safety of the hallway beyond.

He shoulders the door closed, putting another barrier between those still in the hallway and the inferno in the council chambers. "No time for dawdlin', we can all talk on the street. Let's go," he mutters, ushering villagers and adventurers alike before him. He walks with deliberate steps, making sure that he's the last one out of the doomed building.

Spoiler: Brek, round 5
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 14/19, Speed 20
    AC 13, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 7, Perc 5, Darkvision
    Warhammer +5 (1d8+2 Bludgeoning)
    Force Bolt auto-hit, 30' (1d4+1 Force) 1/1 focus
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Conditions
    Call on Ancient Blood: 1/1 (heritage, reaction, save vs spell)
    Drain Bonded item: 1/1 (wizard, re-cast spell)
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 1/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 1/1

13. - Top - End - #73

Coughing and sputtering the group makes their exit, ensuring everyone who could escape did. Brek keeps pushing the people in front of him, chivying them along to ensure they are not engulfed. The flames quickly swallow the room and with the building being made of wood, it is all but impossible to save. As the group makes it back out the front door they see the fire brigade extending back toward the fountain square and everyone doing what they can to save the buildings around the Town Hall. Corry gathers the group and the last of those to exit, healing everyone he can with his magic.

As the building is quickly consumed and burning itself out, the soot-stained councilors emerge from the crowd and take to the steps, with Greta Gardania hugging some of the townspeople next to her and others wearily clapping her on the back in thanks for their lives. She whistles loudly to get everyone's attention and says "What manner of madness just happened? This can be no accident! Did anyone see anything?"

One of the guards who was stationed outside before the fire began raises his hand, then his voice. "Aye." says the wearied, uniformed man. "The clerks saw everything -- It was Calmont, that cad of a bookseller's apprentice. He lit the fires in the halls next to the chamber. He also set that fire monster loose!"

A second guard shouts in assent. "Indeed!" says the grave but steely woman. "And witnesses outside the building saw him run toward Hellknight Hill!"

A surprised and worried wave ripples through the crowd at this information, including Warbal's distinct voice: "The citadel! My Bumblebrashers!"

Greta raises her hand authoritatively, and the crowd begins to calm. "Friends, we'll get to the bottom of this." she assures them. "But we can't do it alone. Who are the heroes in attendance today?" She looks around as you speak up or separate yourselves. "Heroes, are you willing to investigate Hellknight Hill?"

Show
    Algar heals everyone for 10 HP, so I think everyone should be back at full HP. The building isn't really salvageable, as once the center goes, the walls generally collapse and with it being made of all wood, it was too flammable to save any meaningful part of it. This is now a chance for each of your characters to respond (however they would respond in this case) to Greta's Call. Before setting off she has some rewards for you, and after you post your response I'll itemize what you get for XP and stuff. As well as discuss the details of your 'contract' to take on these missions.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-04-16 at 02:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Algar raises a soot-stained arm, wiping ashed from his face with his other hand. "I was here to answer the call. I don't see that this has changed that. Anyone that would endanger so many must be brought to justice."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn dips in the water to clean his face and his hands from soot. When the councilor speaks, he answers in a clear voice.

"Algar has the right of it. I was here for the Call, too. I will gladly go."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Brek mostly grunts his assent to Greta's question. As others speak up, he rolls his eyes and nods. "Aye. I, as well, am 'ere to find work. I'll 'elp find the bastard responsible."

17. - Top - End - #77

NecromancerGuy

Corry watches the building go up in flames with a sad look on his usually smiling face. "That is really unfortunate - so much work to make a nice place for the Call, just up in flames...at least we got everyone out," he says, mostly to himself as he watches the building burn.

At the request for heroes he steps up with a friendly wave and smile. "I don't know about being a hero yet, but I will go and help. We need to catch up with Calmont and figure out what is wrong. Once we get him back on the right course he will need to help rebuild here, but to do that we have to make sure he doesn't make anything worse," he says, genuine concern for the young man evident in his words and expression. "Also, we need to make sure we help out Mrs. Warbal and her tribe - they don't deserve to suffer for Calmont's mistakes."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia wiping the smoke from her face, I was also here for the call and I will seek out the one's who did this if that is the will of the counsel.
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-04-17 at 11:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Listening to each of your simple, but earnest responses, Greta nods. She seems appreciative that you would respond to the town's needs like this. Some steps from the crowd, handing her a small chest. She opens it and hands the group 2 minor healing potions to help with the quest ahead. She resumes her formal bearing and speaks in an official manner, extolling that each of you are to investigate and make contact with the Brumblebashers, which will be rewarded with 10 gold, and to track down and bring back Calmont, which is worth an additional 10 gold. She specifically asks that you try to bring him back alive for questioning if at all possible, but doesn't want you to put your lives at risk more than already necessary for it. With her official duties done, she steps down and continues walking through the crowd, insuring her people are doing okay and getting the help they need. You can feel her sense of urgency as those gathered around the courtyard watch your group expectantly.

Show
    You don't have to RP if you need supplies, just mention that you quickly got whatever and add it to your inventory. If you need to, the town is willing to trade with you at full face value (meaning you can 'sell' what you have to get something else at the listed prices, instead of 50%, which is usual). This is only in light of the fire and will not be the case always in the town. So make whatever adjustments you need to and then head Northeast just over a mile to reach Citadel Altaerein, on so-called Hellknight Hill. Let me know if you are doing any exploration activities on the way. They can be found on page 480 of the player's handbook.

Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    Sorry for the long delay over the weekend. I should have had this prepped and ready. Yesterday was crazy at work, but I am ready now. Just let me know what you are doing and we will get the next chapter started. You each earned 140 XP for saving everyone and slaying the Mephit (though only 1 of you actually knew what it was).
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-04-21 at 02:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Brek nods solemnly, accepting the offered healing potions without question. He turns to face the rest of the group, visibly taking measure of their statures and abilities. His appraising glare waxes slightly toward friendly as he comes across Corriander. "I see no reason to delay," he begins brusquely. "Came ready to work. Not too much distance, so we won't need to camp outside, more'n likely." Instead of asking if the rest of you agree, he raises an eyebrow, daring you to disagree.

"'Nless one of you ain't, I guess we might'swell get moving."

As they start, he singles out the Halfling. "Wouldn've thought much of you, little fella. That healing was mighty helpful, though. Love it when good things come in small packages, eh?" He chuckles quietly, an old familiar joke.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Algar nods, "Sooner started, sooner ended. I am ready to depart whenever the rest are."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia nods in agreement with the others.

yes let us go and do this, maybe we can find those responsible
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-04-21 at 09:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Wouldn've thought much of you, little fella. That healing was mighty helpful, though. Love it when good things come in small packages, eh?"
    Corry smiles at the compliment and nods his head towards the dwarf. "I just hope we can prevent more damage - I think we were very lucky that no one was seriously hurt or killed. Burns can be very nasty, and I know many of the good people that were there tonight," he says as he walks beside the larger man. "I came ready to go - didn't want to make anyone wait on me after we received the Call today. Now, shall we use the north or east gate to leave town? The Citadel is about ten miles northeast, so either way we will have to use a cross-road or two to get there..."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn stretches, testing his newly healed skin, That was impressive.

"I am ready to move out, too. However, I keep thinking of what happened here. This seems like either a deliberate provocation or a very poor attempt at assassination. This was the one day that someone willing to take up a difficult job would be ready and present. And yet, this one day, someone tries to burn the council down. Strange, huh?

Perhaps whatever is there up the Citadel, they will be waiting for us. It would be worth it to keep of the beaten track, perhaps approach stealthy-like from an unexpected angle."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"A wise precaution, but I cannot call myself stealthy."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Brek shrugs, simultaneously acknowledging and dismissing his newfound companion's concerns. "Aye, they'll be waitin', but waitin' ain't the same thing as ready. Dunno who he meant to provoke, but I don' think they knew about all'a us." He's got a stony look in his eye, hard and unmoving, and utterly unimpressed with someone who would call even a minor elemental to do his or her dirty work.

"They'll need much greater parlor tricks 'n that display"- he punctuates the word with a sharp nod towards the lost building- "to avoid his comeuppance. If it hadn't been a surprise, we'd have kept the building without trouble." He spits in the side of the road, leaving no doubt as to his opinion of such behavior.

Finally, he offers Corry another noncommittal shrug. "You're the one what knows the roads, local. I'll follow you." He smirks. "I kin see over your shoulder, anyhow."

27. - Top - End - #87

NecromancerGuy

"Olarn, you may be right, but I don't want to assume the worst until we find Calmont. Stranger things have happened than a young man learning magic, losing control of a dangerous, summoned creature, and then fleeing in fear of retribution. He may be a bit of a victim in this situation too.

That doesn't mean he won't have to pay for his mistakes...just that we shouldn't assume malice when inexperience could explain it just as well,
    " Corry says, his face serious as he considers the circumstances and his companions' responses. "I don't think we all need to be stealthy, exactly, but I don't mind trying to guide us along a path that won't let them see us coming. I'll do my best..."

Show
    I am sort of assuming that Corriander can guide everyone as a local. I would also like to see what he remembers about Calmont.

Lore (Breachill) (1d20+3)[8] to guide the party to the citadel along a path that will keep them out of sight most of the way.
    Society or Lore (Breachill) (1d20+3)[11] (both have the same modifier) to remember anything about Calmont.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn looks at the ironclad certainty of newfound companion and shrugs in return.

"Let's hope you are right...Brek wasn't it? Though the element of surprise usually shows cunning, not its lack. But I will keep my eyes open for tracks and out of the way paths."

Olarn takes point with the gait of someone who knows how to walk the wilds.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Let's see. Survival (1d20+4)[17] for orientation and track. He can track at full speed due to Experienced Tracker.

29. - Top - End - #89

You all quickly make your judgements that you are ready, then turn to head out. Following Corry, the group leaves via the Eastern Gate of the city. The people in the square around Town Hall watch as you depart, clapping you on the back and offering what little encouragement they can. Warbal also comes along, offering her assistance to guide you and act as a go-between with her people. Olarn watches for tracks and Corry does his best to lead the group up to the Citadel without just sticking to the main pathway. But there are several spots where it is infeasible to avoid and each time you cross the road, Olarn finds tracks of a human having come this way recently. You don't see anyone or anything else on the path.

Rising from the hilltop above is a looming structure of crumbling stone and still-imposing battlements, though verdant nature is reclaiming the site. Plumes of red smoke—which ambassador Warbal believes to be distress signals from the Bumblebrasher goblins—rise from the roof of the keep’s central tower. This place can only be Citadel Altaerein, the infamous former home of the Order of the Nail Hellknights, now fallen into ruin. The gate-like doors in the center of the keep hang ajar—not surprising, since no one has maintained this facility in years. There are also several places where the walls have fallen in from disrepair and a side door closer to you.

Show
    You can see the castle. The yellow lines show you where holes or doors are. The main door is the part that juts out to the right the most. The secondary door is on the same side near the compass rose. The other two yellow marks show holes in the walls that you can see during your approach. Warbal will make camp on a nearby hill and wait for you, politely refusing to come in, but willing to watch any stuff for you or to act as an information source for you. Also she can at least tell the town if you never return. You can study the structure or try one of the entrances.

Spoiler: map
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia
    With her sword and shield at the ready, she goes scouting around near the main entrance and then the secondary entrance looking inside where she can, to see what the inside might look like.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

as needed rolls
    Acrobatics (1d20+7)[24]
    Perception (1d20+5)[6]
    Nature (1d20+3)[14]
    Survival (1d20+3)[11]
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-04-22 at 05:44 PM.