New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Once the party gets to the citadel, Corry says, "I can actually be pretty sneaky when I have to be - Mom and Dad always taught their kids to be careful and able to hide...they were slaves in Cheliax when they were young...Shall I help her scout? She isn't really doing it very quietly..."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    I'm not sure if @samduke meant to roll stealth or not, but Corry has a +5 on his checks. I would offer to scout, but don't want to step on toes...

If it looks best to have Corry help, he will sneak up to scout the same places as Ophilia with a (1d20+5)[19] Stealth and Perception at +5.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Since his new companion seem determined to scout- generally a good idea- Olarn says

" Try the holes in the wall first. I would rather not go through the main door first. I will look for tracks."

Olarn carefully tries to see if there are tracks going in at some of the entrances.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[11] and Survival (1d20+4)[14]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Algar readies his sword and shield, expecting trouble is imminent. "Unless tracks or reconnaissance indicate otherwise, I suggest we start at the left side there, make a sweep across the length. Less likely to be surrounded that way."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Brek snorts quietly as they approach the looming structure. "Always, humans leave behind the earth and they try to make a new one overhead. So much easier ta just stay under it. " He shakes his head with a dismissive expression, utterly lacking understanding of the motivations.

"'Course they did," Brek grunts. "Cheliax ain't kind in the best of times."

He stays back from the entrances, scanning the open ground between wall and woods, and generally serving as rear guard while the more skillful heroes investigate furtively. He's got both the warhammer and shield ready, just in case.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Olarn
    Show
    Sorry I forgot to post the results of your roll to track. There weren't many side paths to take, but every time you crossed the main path, you saw human footprints leading to the castle. Now that you are near the castle, you can see that they lead up to the field surrounding it, but then become muddled in all the other footprints around the place from various creatures living here and constantly coming and going. With your new attempts to spot tracks, you can make out some Goblin tracks consistent with a tribe living here and other humanoid and bestial creatures' tracks coming and going through every entrance. The goblins seem to mostly use the front door, the other creatures use other doors. Though very few tracks seems to lead to the secondary entrance doors.

Spoiler: Corry
    Show
    Sorry I forgot to post the results of your roll to remember about Calmont. He is the apprentice to the bookkeeper in town. Keeps to himself, hasn't been around long. But you remember having an 'off' feeling about him when you met him in the bookstore one time. Could have just been a bad day though, nothing so overt that you think he is evil or malicious. For your new perception, you can see into the main entrance a little bit and tell that it looks like a vast space behind the door, but nothing more. The hinges on the door are rusted and would likely give away anyone trying to force them open.

Ophilia nimbly moves around investigating the doors to the Citadel. Corry assists Ophilia, trying to keep a low profile. Neither sees any overt movement or sees anything threatening. Olarn walks around from afar, observing tracks and determining what he can. Algar and Brek just maintain position keeping an eye out for trouble.

Spoiler: Ophilia
    Show
    The inside of the fortress is very dark and so it is hard to see much from outside. The main doors look rusted and are hanging askew. Though you could probably move them out of the way if you wanted, it would be loud and difficult. The secondary entrance is fully closed and you can't even see a crack to peek inside. The hinges still look rusted and the door handle seems in pretty bad shape too.

6. - Top - End - #96

NecromancerGuy

Corry keeps his recollection of Calmont to himself - no point in worrying the rest of the party with bad first impressions.

As for his scouting, Corry silently tugs on Ophilia's tunic to get her attention before pointing at the hinges on the door and making a gesture for a large sound. He then shakes his head and keeps looking around at the entrances to see the best way inside...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia noticing Cory, after looking around the doors goes to investigate the holes, With her sword and shield at the ready
    (OOC furthest away first then closest last)

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

as needed rolls
    Stealth (1d20+7)[20]
    Acrobatics (1d20+7)[10]
    Perception (1d20+5)[13]
    Nature (1d20+3)[6]
    Survival (1d20+3)[5]

8. - Top - End - #98

Spoiler: Ophilia and Corry
    Show
    As you continue exploring the openings in the wall, you first approach the one furthest North. You can see that where the wall has fallen is a pile of rubble, making entering difficult, but gives you a convenient place to hide while peeking in. Inside you see a judge's bench, a witness stand, and councilor's tables along with smashed wood strewn on the floor. Those are the only furnishings to mark this as a formal courtroom. There are doors leading to a series of rooms to the North and the chamber continues deeper to the south and west.

Moving around the South, you again see a crumbled pile of rubble that makes it difficult to cross, but easy to peek in. Looking inside you see a large chamber holding rows of moldering straw-filled dummies, many of them wielding wooden replicas of various martial weapons. You immediately recognize this as a training chamber.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    You don't see anything overtly dangerous in either one. Where the light is leaking through a little bit to the North is where doorways hang open. You don't hear anything either. Both look like viable entrances to the Citadel, just gotta decide which way to go first.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

after looking around motioning to cory, Ophilia returns to where the group is waiting and tells them what she saw and waits for opinions from them on where to best enter from.

10. - Top - End - #100

NecromancerGuy

Corry follows the larger woman back to the party and listens as she describes the rooms. "Honestly, I don't like either of those for entry," he says, when she is done. "Retreating out of them, should it prove necessary, will be difficult with anyone injured. It won't be possible to get inside completely unnoticed through either of the doors, but I think they are better options.

Can anyone tell which door is used by Warbal's goblins? If we can make contact with them we might be able to enlist their help...?
    "

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn hunches down, the cinnamon stick in his mouth.

"As far as I can tell, the main entrance is far more used. But that's about it. No sign of where the goblins are.

But we must go in eventually. I say we though the south opening."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

"Being able to exit again would be prudent. Should we check this nearest entrance?"

13. - Top - End - #103

NecromancerGuy

Corry nods as everyone speaks, looking at each and giving them each his attention as they say their minds. "How about we take the less-used door, then?" he asks. "...and who wants to go first?"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Algar readies his shield and prepares to advance. "I can."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Brek grunts noncommittally. He recognizes the others' greater skill and opts to follow their guidance, for now. "Probably best I stay near the back. If anyone's expecting to ambush us, I'll be a tougher nut to crack than they might think."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn also takes his shield and readies it.

"Do not sweat it. I will go. Let's keep our eyes and ears open"

He takes the lead, still looking for surprises and tracks as he goes.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia straps her shield on and draws her sword and starts walking behind Olarn, I think we should do this as quietly as we can. (Stealth (1d20+7)[13])
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-04-29 at 06:53 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Algar and Olarn take lead points and Ophilia and Corry follow behind. Brek brings up the rear, keeping a wary eye. The group approaches the smaller southern door. Olarn pulls on the handles and finds the doors stuck fast.

Show
    Looking through the crack in the door you can see the handles are tied together. The handles don't work well enough for the locking mechanism to be effective and the doors pull outward toward you from the little movement you got so far. You can try to stick a dagger in and cut the rope, though it looks thick and that'll take a bit of time (1 minute) to complete.

19. - Top - End - #109

NecromancerGuy

Corry look at the secured door and shrugs. "I can reach through and try to cut it, but someone else might have an easier time," he whispers, looking around at the others.

Show
    Corry has a +2 to Thievery - is there any other check that might be involved? If no one else speaks up, Corry will try to cut the rope.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Algar gives Corry a nod, "Go ahead."

21. - Top - End - #111

NecromancerGuy

Corry nods and looks at the doorway again. "I may be able to squeeze through and cut it from the other side - that would be easier..." he says as he starts to wriggle a bit at the door. "Please hold the doors open as far as you can. I don't fancy getting squished if I can help it!"

Show
    Acrobatics check to squeeze through - either partially or wholly - to get at the rope to cut it: (1d20+5)[15]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Brek frowns. "Even if we go in elsewhere, I'd not want to find any exit barred. Do it."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn holds the door as open as he can with his hands, to let Corry go through.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Athletics if needed (1d20+7)[16] or Str check (1d20+4)[10]. Do Str checks get Trained bonus?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia looking at her sword and the opening, whispering squeeze if you must but, instead of squeezing why not cut it with a sword?

25. - Top - End - #115

Brek holds the door open as Corry manages to fit his hand with a dagger in the tight space. He can see the ropes and gets to work on them as the others help hold the doors. It takes several tense seconds before Corry pulls his arm back through and the ropes finish unraveling, allowing the others to pull the door open. You are now standing in front of an open room with furniture piled up in the center.
    Show
    let me know if you enter and if you do what order you go in. With the door open you can see into it, but the contrast makes it hard to make out details inside. There are no light sources.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Algar gestures to the others to make a space for him. He enters, shield raised, eyes scanning the space.

27. - Top - End - #117

NecromancerGuy

As he finishes cutting the rope and those holding the door open it for the party to enter Corry turns and nods to them each, saying, "Thank you," as he steps back. Then, seeing the dim light inside picks up a stone and holds it up to the sun. A moment later he says, "Let the light of day guide us," and the rock begins to glow brightly. He then tosses it inside, doing his best to make it easier for the party to see where they are going. "I can do that throughout our time exploring the citadel, or hold onto the stone instead if we prefer - just let me know what helps you all the most."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Opilia going in next to cory with sword and shield at the ready. that light could be useful

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn also enters in before the others, shield raised and weapon ready.

The sudden appearance of light is a welcome surprise, but then he looks back smiling.

"This was a neat trick. But we announced our presence to anyone nearby. Let's keep our eyes open."

Spoiler: OOc
    Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[13]

30. - Top - End - #120

NecromancerGuy

Good naturedly, Corry asks, "Don't you think the daylight streaming in from behind us has announced our entrance more than my little light-rock?" He smiles at Olarn and continues, "I won't toss it into a dark room unless one of you asks - I cannot see in total darkness, but I'm pretty good in dim light. Let me know when you want it and you will have it."