New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Algar and Olarn enter first, ready for a surprise. The others are gathered around the door, ready to enter. Corry's light helps to dispel some of the darkness and makes the room a little easier to see. This dingy room is littered with toppled bunk beds and

broken furniture, and doors to small but more private bedchambers hang open along the western and southern walls. In the room’s center, bed frames are stacked upon each other to form a sort of fort, with filthy and ripped bedding draped over the top to form its ceiling and walls. You can tell through the murky darkness that there are hallways leading further north and southwest.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    I realize you guys are probably waiting on me. I am in no way trying to diminish your darkvision and if there were something to see beyond the dingy room, I would have described it. Now that you have entered the room and the majority of the light is behind you, it is easier to make out the details. Also since you rattled the doors slightly and took a moment to cut the ropes, I need everyone to make a perception check and roll initiative. Technically Ophilia and Brek haven't acted yet, but we weren't really in initiative order or anything, so I just have them back by the door. For initiative order, go ahead and post your actions whenever you can and I will try to sew them all together. If your actions will depend too strongly on others you can wait (this group has been pretty fast about posting). If you have only two choices feel free to post both and I will enact the one whose conditions are met first.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Algar turns to Olarn, "Sweep left and clear on that side, then work our way down the building?"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Brek stomps through the now open doorway at the rear of the column. "Don't skip over that thing- looks like an ideal hiding spot," he grunts, pointing with his warhammer to the makeshift fort in the middle of the room. He approaches it with suspicion, ready to bring the pain if anything should leap out and attack.

Spoiler: Brek, surprise round
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 19/19, Speed 20
    AC 13, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 7, Perc 5, Darkvision
    Warhammer +5 (1d8+2 Bludgeoning)
    Force Bolt auto-hit (1d4+1 Force) 1/1 focus
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Conditions
    Call on Ancient Blood: 1/1 (heritage, reaction, save vs spell)
    Drain Bonded item: 1/1 (wizard, re-cast spell)
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 1/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 1/1

12 init
    move 4 spaces to the left

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

(OOC: Ophillia - going in next to corry with sword and shield at the ready and would have remained near corry within 10ft)

perception check and roll initiative
    Perception (1d20+5)[10]
    Initiative (1d20+5)[15] * at least I think it is done under perceptions numbers
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-05-05 at 08:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Corry walks inside quietly, listening and watching from the center of the party. At Brek's direction he nods, looking intently that way.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn gives Algar a thumbs-up agreement. Not a bad plan.

7. - Top - End - #127

Spoiler: INIT
    Show
    Olarn: 26
    baddie: 14
    Algar: 12
    Brek: 12
    Ophilia: 10
    Corry: 8

Olarn continues to the south alert for any attacks. Algar circles north , while Corry approaches the makeshift fortifications in the middle of the room. Ophilia sticks by Corry's side and Brek brings up the rear, making sure their exit path is clear and accessible.

Olarn is almost caught off-guard while trying to split his attention between the makeshift fort in the center of the room and the many open doorways that line the left side of the room. Suddenly from the first doorway on the left burst a hairy creature, charging in while swinging its bastard sword. Its toothy maw is open, screaming as it attacks. Olarn manages to get his shield up in time to parry the blow. The creature is clearly surprised and agitated as it expected to take you off-guard. Thought it quickly recovers and takes a defensive stance warry for attacks.

Spoiler: Olarn
    Show
    The creature attacks with (1d20+10)[25] against your AC of 17. If it connects you take [roll]1d12+4[/roll] piercing damage. Since you have Shield Block, you can absorb 5 of that damage (thus negating the first 5 points of damage) and then you and the shield will take the remaining (it has 20 HP and will break at 10; the damage goes to both, not one or the other).

If you want to post two rounds worth of actions, then basically you will act, baddie will act, everyone else will act and then you'll act again. After that everyone can post at once with you only posting once, though technically you will be posting for the "next" round. If that is confusing or you don't want to, don't feel pressured, just offering.

Show
    ProudGrognard is lucky to have rolled so well, otherwise he would have been ambushed. You can all see and hear this creature now and may react. 1 round of "surprise" combat has passed, so Olarn will act, then the creature and then everybody else. Though for the sake of simplicity, everyone can post and then I'll update. If you want to identify the creature, it'll take one of your 3 actions and a lore check.

Spoiler: Creature
    Show

Spoiler: map
    Show
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-05-06 at 02:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Spoiler: olarn
    Show
    rerolling damage: (1d12+4)[16]

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 1
    Show
    Corriander Taylor
    Neutral Good Halfling Angelic Sorcerer, Level 1, HP 14/14, Speed 25 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Twilight Halfling), Local Scion
    AC 15, Fort 5, [B]Ref[/B 5, Will 6, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 18
    Conditions: None

"Look out!" cries Corry as he hurls a lance of light from his outstretched hand.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Lore (Breachill) (1d20+3)[23] to identify the creature.

Cast Divine Lance, (1d20+7)[18] to hit (1d4+4)[6] [Good] damage

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Opillia, staying near corry, fight defensively, placing herself between the enemy and corry, if it moves this direction will then attack it.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Algar steps up behind Olarn, quickly infusing him with holy light as he raises his shield to ward further blows.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Action 1: move to space behind Olarn
    Action 2: lay hands on Olarn (+6 HP, +2 AC for 1 round)
    Action 3: Raise shield

reaction: champion's reaction if ally within 15' is attacked, granting resistance 3 to all damage and letting Algar step to put attacker in reach and Strike (1d20+7)[16] damage (1d8+4)[5]
    If Algar is attacked, shield block (Hard 5, 20 HP, 10 BT)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"Oy, 'ats about enough from you!" Brek exclaims, just after being perfectly placed to watch his ally get ambushed. He dashes forward, bringing his warhammer to bear.

Spoiler: Brek, surprise round
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    Conditions
    Familiar
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 1/1

1:Stride as necessary to close the distance.
    2: either strike or stride again, if necessary:
    (1d20+5)[21] warhammer strike
    (1d8+2)[5] damage

3: (use the above roll, if it took two strides to close the distance). If it only took one, strike again:
    (1d20)[15] strike (includes -5 MAP)
    (1d8+2)[9] damage

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn
    AC:24 HP 11

Olarn barely manages to raise his shield as the screaming thing attacks him with great force, but he still gets hurt.

Grimacing but not letting his pain shows, he shoves it with his shield so that he can pummel it with his warhammer, using the spike with cruel effect.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show
    Attack with shield and warhammer, using double slice
    Shield spikes (1d20+9)[17] dmg (1d6+4)[7]
    Warhammer (1d20+9)[17] dmg (1d8+4)[11]

14. - Top - End - #134

Show

Olarn manages to get his shield up, but still takes some serious damage as the weight of the blow rents the shield and the creature manages to open a gash on Olarn's side. Olarn seeing his shield is now broken, uses his hammer to attack the creature with a mighty blow.
    The creature continues to press its attack, reaching forward to grab Olarn. It is so deft, it manages to completely immobilize the human. The creature then uses this to its advantage as it swipes again with its bastard sword. Olarn falls unconscious at the creatures feet, bleeding from his serious wounds.
    Algar then steps forward to Lay Hands on Olarn. Olarn can feel the magic suffuse him as his wounds close (though are not healed completely) and he feels more hardy. Algar also readies his shield to deflect the creatures next attack.
    Brek deftly moves forward and strikes mightily with his warhammer, connecting solidly on the first blow, but the creature manages to turn so that its leather armor catches the next blow, causing it to glance off harmlessly.
    Ophilia readies to follow and protect Corry as necessary.
    Corry stays where he is and casts Divine Lance at the creature, skewering it with the beam, which then disappears.
    The creature is definitely showing some wear, but does not seem worried and you see glee in its eyes as it continues to fight.
    Spoiler: Olarn
    Show
    When you do a double strike, you take a -2 on the second attack unless that weapon has the agile trait (which warhammers do not). See page 144 of CRB. However your shield is broken anyways (it took 11 damage just like you did, so your HP should be 10, not 11). The creature attempts to grapple you with (1d20+7)[27] vs your Fortitude DC of 18 (10+3(CON)+5(Expert)).It then attacks you with (1d20+10)[14] for (1d8+4)[7]+3 for successful grabbing=10(this is the creatures ability) piercing damage. This brought you to 0 HP, however Algar immediately lays hands on you to get you back to +6, so you are back alive (and have +2 AC, but only a broken shield (which you can drop)). You now are restrained and unable to move, except to try to escape.(see page 242 and 470 of the CRB).

Spoiler: Corry
    Show
    You've heard that a bugbear named Yoletcha has built its home here in the Citadel. As a bugbear, this creature is goblinoid in nature and is naturally secretive, so not much is known, but based on its armament, you guess it is just a common bugbear. Those prefer to grapple and strike, keeping to the shadows and striking from hiding. They are very athletic and capable of great acrobatics to reach their prey.

Spoiler: ACTIONS
    Show
    You don't have it surrounded yet, but you are wearing it down meticulously. On to round 2 (Surprise round, and then this was round 1). Olarn was dying, but Algar used his Lay Hands to bring him back, however the creature has Olgar completely pinned and unable to move and will likely try to kill him again next round, based on the savage gleam in its eye.

Show
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-05-12 at 01:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Out of turn
    Show
    "I said, quit it, ya daft bastard!" Brek cires, swinging wildly with his heavy mallet.

Spoiler: Brek, round 2
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    Conditions
    Familiar
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 1/1

1: Step to flank

2: Strike
    (1d20+5)[25] warhammer strike (vs AC-2, IIRC?)
    (1d8+2)[10] damage

I'm gonna go ahead and do it again. Could get lucky?

2: strike again:
    (1d20)[15] strike (includes -5 MAP)
    (1d8+2)[9] damage

16. - Top - End - #136

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Repeated Below
    Show
    Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 2
    Show
    Corriander Taylor

"It's a bugbear, maybe Yoletcha? It's going to kill Olarn - stop it!" calls Corry at the bugbear as he throws another bolt of light and runs towards Olarn, intent on healing the bigger man next...

Show
    Cast Divine Lance, (1d20+7)[14] to hit (1d4+4)[5] [Good] damage
    Move adjacent to Olarn to heal him next round.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia
    1: move with corry - should put ophilia adjacent to the bugbear and between the bugbear and corry
    2: Attack with Longsword vs. bugbear" (1d20+4)[19] Damage [/roll]1d8+1[/roll] * in ooc Damage (1d8+1)[2]
    3: bring shield up in defense

Spoiler: condition
    Show

Ophillia
    AC: 20 with shield
    saves F:+5 R:+9 W:+3
    HP:16 of 16
    perception +5
    Shield Block
    Attack of Opportunity
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-05-12 at 03:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn
    HP:6 and AC:20

Severly wounded but once again conscious, Olarn puts all his strength in trying to break free from the pin he is in.

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as I can tell, this is an Athletics check, so (1d20+7)[20]

I think that Olarn is going to try three times in total , so (1d20+2)[6] and (1d20-3)[10]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

(Since I received no comments on my proposal to hold after monster posts until after the monster, I guess I won't wait)
    Algar gives his foe a glare, burning with anger, as he strikes with his blade, keeping his shield high.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Action 1: intimidate (1d20+5)[25] (intimidating glare feat)
    Action 2: strike (1d20+7)[13] for (1d8+4)[7]
    Action 3: raise shield

Reaction: champions reaction if anyone in 15 ft is attacked, grant resistance 3 and move up to 5 feet and strike (1d20+7)[12] for (1d8+4)[8]

If he is attacked instead, shield block (Steel Shield (Hard 5, 20 HP, 10 BT))
    Last edited by stack; 2020-05-14 at 06:43 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Show

Olarn harries the bugbear with a blow on the head, shocking the creature into releasing its pin.
    Show
    Since Olarn is now free, he is prone. I figure Olarn will want to do something with his other two actions, so feel free to post. The creature will then be moving (diving) into its make-shift fort to try to get its advantage back. You all will see it dive (after Olarn finishes his two actions), and can post accordingly to change your actions as needed. Sorry for the confusion having Olarn act, then the baddie, then everyone else has caused. Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-05-14 at 07:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn frees himself and carefully looks for an opportunity to stand up. He then takes his chance at hitting the monster again, swinging his warhammer

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack (1d20+8)[21] dmg (1d8+4)[12]

22. - Top - End - #142

Olarn swings his hammer in a mighty blow, hitting the bugbear in the knee and clearly causing her quite a bit of pain. The bugbear then turns to look toward its fort and sees the way blocked, and realizes she has backed herself into a corner. She attempts to take a guarded step back to the west before running off down one of the dark hallways.

Spoiler: ProudGrognard
    Show
    Your normal attack modifier is +9 (not +8, as you have used), I assume your two actions are 1:stand 2:attack. As such you have your full attack modifier

Spoiler: Everyone else
    Show
    The bugbear is trying to run and takes a step one square west, then another step one square west. She then turns tail and runs west down the hallway that is steeped in shadow right now. As such Brek gets an attack of opportunity as she leaves the square southwest of you at a run. Everyone else may give chase or let her go. She can only move once and everyone (including Olarn, because he needs to act again before the creature) can move up to 3x (though then you would have no attack). So if you are close, you would reasonably expect to catch the running creature and attack, if you make an all out effort. If you act more cautiously, then you might catch her and make an attack. The area in shadow is dim light, not complete darkness, so even with normal vision you can see out a little ways, I just haven't revealed it yet because you have been concentrating on the fight and haven't looked that way.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

(Assuming Olarn doesn't drop it with another attack)
    Algar takes off in pursuit, trusting his orc-born eyes in the dim light.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move up to twice, strike, raise shield if only 1 move needed

(1d20+7)[20] damage (1d8+4)[7]

If shield raised, will use champion's reaction or shield block as appropriate

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, no ya don't!" Brek cires, taking off after the fleeing Bugbear.
    He swings wildly with his heavy mallet in between strides, aiming for the small of their assailant's back.

Spoiler: Brek, round 2
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    Conditions
    Familiar
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 1/1

I guess it turns out I can keep the rolls from my previous post. Obviously, I'll do just that.
    1: Stride to follow

2: Strike
    [roll] warhammer strike (vs AC-2, IIRC?) 25 (lifted from previous post)
    [roll] damage 10 (lifted from previous post)

2: strike again:
    [roll] strike (includes -5 MAP)
    [roll] damage

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Ophilia
    1: move with corry - should put ophilia adjacent to the bugbear and between the bugbear and corry
    2: Attack with Longsword vs. bugbear" (1d20+7)[17] Damage [/roll]1d8+1[/roll] * in ooc Damage (1d8+1)[2]
    3: bring shield up in defense

Spoiler: condition
    Show

Ophillia
    AC: 20 with shield
    saves F:+5 R:+9 W:+3
    HP:16 of 16
    perception +5
    Shield Block
    Attack of Opportunity
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Spoiler: Everyone else
    Show
    The bugbear is trying to run and takes a step one square west, then another step one square west. She then turns tail and runs west down the hallway that is steeped in shadow right now. As such Brek gets an attack of opportunity as she leaves the square southwest of you at a run. Everyone else may give chase or let her go. She can only move once and everyone (including Olarn, because he needs to act again before the creature) can move up to 3x (though then you would have no attack). So if you are close, you would reasonably expect to catch the running creature and attack, if you make an all out effort. If you act more cautiously, then you might catch her and make an attack. The area in shadow is dim light, not complete darkness, so even with normal vision you can see out a little ways, I just haven't revealed it yet because you have been concentrating on the fight and haven't looked that way.
    (OOC as it seems my above actions did not take place, I believe I would have the option to 1 draw bow, 2 shoot at the fleeing bugbear and 3 shoot it again with her Longbow)

draw bow
    1st shot:bugbear within 100ft (1d20+7)[17] damage (1d8)[3] deadly if applicable (1d10)[7]
    2nd shot:bugebear within 100ft 1st shot:bugbear within 100ft (1d20+2)[6] damage (1d8)[5] deadly if applicable (1d10)[2]

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Seeing the monster trying to escape, Olarn runs after it and swings his hammer once again, going for the kill.

Show
    Moving twice -or once if that is enough- and then attacking (1d20+9)[28] dmg (1d8+4)[12]

EDIT: Is that a critical? it seems like it would be

27. - Top - End - #147

NecromancerGuy

Repeating my post from above - I would like to keep what I had there.

Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 2
    Show
    Corriander Taylor

"It's a bugbear, maybe Yoletcha? It's going to kill Olarn - stop it!" calls Corry at the bugbear as he throws another bolt of light and runs towards Olarn, intent on healing the bigger man next...

Show
    Cast Divine Lance, [roll0] to hit [roll1] [Good] damage
    Move adjacent to Olarn to heal him next round.

28. - Top - End - #148

The bugbear is limping badly as it tries to run, realizing it has made a mistake and attacked a superior force. There is a door to the far west, that it just gets opened, before Algar catches up to it and bashes it in the back with his warhammer. Even as the creature falls, Ophilia is trying to sight a shot, but the walls prevent her from getting a good angle. Olarn and Corry both move up to the hallway, but slow as they realize that the threat is down and not moving. The bugbear is clearly dead with a pool of blood forming around it. It fell right in the doorway, making passage difficult to the room beyond.

Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    Sorry about the confusion that caused. I know better with block initiative to have everyone go and then the monster go (or visa versa as the case may be). It's been a while since I have done this and I want to try a few things out. I was thinking since this involved sneaking it would be better to do it this way, but c'est la vie. Now there are 9 doors to choose from. One way up north, one in the slanted part of the hallway to that northern door. 3 in the west wall by the bed-fort and 3 south of the bed-fort and the one Yoletcha was trying to go through. though which you can see a chair and table setup, though you'll have to look more closely to see more detail. Based on your recollection of the distances it seems reasonable that the training dummy area is through the door on the other side of the dim room. Where do you want to continue your search? You can assume that your characters have a pretty good idea of the distances as they are on the map and they can draw any conclusions about the size of rooms that you can from looking at it. Though feel free to use a skill check for more info and especially if you are searching. I like more description that just "I searched X room", tell me something about how you searched and what you were hoping to find. Based on the bed-fort in the room you are in, it is reasonable to assume it was originally some kind of barracks.

Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Brek hooks a thumb at the doors leading southward. "Figure those are just closets- not much room for else, but I don't fancy leavin' it to chance. Stay keen, eh?" He begins opening those three doors one at a time, to make sure nothing plans to jump out of them when their backs are turned.

Show
    Those are the doors set into the narrow area immediately South and East of Brek's current position.

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGuy

Corry rushes forward to the fallen bugbear, heedless of any danger the violent humanoid displayed only moments before. After checking for a pulse and other signs of life he sighs and says, "It's dead, I'm sorry to say. I don't think anyone could have done any better - it would have killed us if we hadn't stopped it...Olarn, do you need more healing? How about anyone else?"

It's clear the little halfling is unhappy with the killing, but not so naive that he would have expected anything else. He takes several long breaths to calm down before looking around. "That's alot of doors to try...but these three here seem like they won't go very far." He walks back to the doors to the south and listens at them carefully. Then he tries the handle of the middle door gingerly, ready to step back if anything threatening appears.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Corriander has very limited spell slots right now. He can do single target healing of up to 1d8+2 HPs per cast, but that same spell can be used to heal multiple targets instead if I take longer to cast it. To try and manage that I would recommend we only heal single targets when absolutely necessary. Is this one of those times, @ProudGrognard?

Perception (1d20+5)[12] at the doors.