New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Algar wipes his blade but keeps it in hand. "That was an unpleasant surprise. Given time, I can request further healing power from the Inheritor, but doing so would give opportunity for other creatures here to organize." He shrugs, waiting for input from the group. "Given the ambush, I think every closet is worth checking."
    Last edited by stack; 2020-05-18 at 12:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Brek and Corry move to start searching doors while Olarn moves to search the fallen bugbear. The doors have no door to speak of, though there are random bits of door left on a hinge here and there. Looking into the rooms, it is obvious these were sleeping quarters. They are approximately 7 x 5 rooms and afford one much more privacy than the hostel-like barracks that the bed-fort is in. The beds inside look to once have been very nice indeed with thick mattresses and fine cloth, though it is now in tatters and slowly moldering. There are still some sparse furnishings too, including a night stand and a wooden closet. Brek makes a quick search of his room, ascertaining there is no thread, as does Corry quickly peaking into both rooms, since he is standing where the two doorways open up, though he is focused on the one in the middle.

Olarn finds that the bugbear has only her equipment on her, including a bastard sword and leather armor. With her abode so close by, she doesn't seem to feel a need to carry any more on her person, as she doesn't have anywhere to even carry any more stuff.

Spoiler: waiting
    Show
    We need to wait on Ophilia before moving on, just posting this to keep things moving and let people think about their next move. If you want to continue to look for things in detail in the room, then just let me know and I'll make the rolls per the Seek action on pg 471 of the CRB.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

"I am going to need a minute here."

Olarn binds his wounds as best as he can and starts repairing his shield. Ten minutes later, he is more or less done.

"Let us not leave before we search this room and our former enemy."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Medicine check to treat wounds vs DC15 (1d20+4)[5]
    Repair check for his shield (1d20+4)[7]
    Perception in the OOC

EDIT:Critical failure in medicine...

4. - Top - End - #154

Spoiler: Olarn
    Show
    Well (by way of saving you) you don't have the healer's tools needed listed in your equipment list, so you can't even attempt the roll. As for repairing your shield you spend 10 minutes trying to repair it, and you fix some dents in it, but not the rent in the side that is rendering it unusable. It is still broken. Your repair kit is not consumed, so it is possible to try again, though you will have to spend more time.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As Corry notices Olarn trying to bind his wounds he says, "Wait a minute - don't hurt yourself. Here, let me help." He then takes out a healing kit and begins to work over the big man's wounds carefully.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Medecine Check to treat wounds (1d20+5)[12] vs DC 15 to heal (2d8)[14] HPs (fail, but not critically)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

ophilia will tear down the bugbear fort if it does not take to long, an then join the others in searching the various closets/doors with sword and shield ready

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Algar spends the time in prayer, healing Olarn afterwards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    refocus 10 minutes, heal for 6 with lay hands

8. - Top - End - #158

Corry attempts to heal Olarn, but isn't quite able to bind his wounds any more effectively than they have already been knitted with magic.

Ophilia spends 10 minutes tearing apart the bugbear's makeshift fort, which is really just several beds leaned onto each other with some of the sheets thrown over the top as a 'roof'. There was a clear space in the middle that served as the bugbears hideout and sleeping area, and the beds frames and mattresses that were piled up had started to mold and quickly fell to pieces once they no longer had the support of rest of the structure.

Algar preys to Iomedae and regains his focus to use lay on hands again. He walks over to Olarn and heals him for 6 more points (bringing him to 12 HP).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Algar resumes his devotions, but stays close to those prodding into other rooms.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't want to stop everyone from advancing, but it would be nice to have lay hands back, so we can continue and if it takes long enough, he will refocus I guess?

10. - Top - End - #160

NecromancerGuy

As Algar continues to re-focus so he can channel his deity's power Corriander wanders around the corner. "A couple of these doors may be living chambers, like those three," he says out loud. "Let's see what we find, eh?" he continues, mostly to himself, before listening to the doors closely and then trying the latch.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    ophilia will tear down the bugbear fort if it does not take to long, an then join the others in searching the various closets/doors with sword and shield ready
    Wandering over to Corry and the others. yes lets check whats behind the doors

12. - Top - End - #162

Corry and Ophilia wander around the corner to continue searching the other cluster of 3 doors. In the middle room Corry finds two flasks of holy water tucked away in the night stand behind some other discarded junk in there. Fixed to the bedframe is a wooden shield that is removable. It looked like part of the decoration on the bed until Corry touched it and noticed it moving.

Algar continues his prayers, asking Iomedae for divine guidance and blessing.

Olgar works on his equipment trying to repair it some more. He manages to get his shield back in working order, though it is not pretty by any means. The steel is now reinforced with some wood to keep the rent closed. Brek keeps a wary eye out making sure nothing sneaks up on them.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Since no one made any rolls this time, I guess I'll make them for everyone. That is the main thing I need to accompany your posts, though the fluff is very much appreciated. Corry and Ophilia perception: (1d20+5)[17] (1d20+5)[9] Olgar to repair: (1d20+4)[13]

Spoiler: continuing
    Show
    I will have to see the results of the roll and go back to edit this post as to what specifically happens. Just let me know what everyone wants to do for the next set of actions. Give me rolls and we can handle this about 10 minutes at a time. Brek's shield now has 15 HP. Field repairs on a steel shield are difficult to get entirely back to new, but using some material in the room and the repair kit you are able to finish up the repairs.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-05-21 at 07:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Algar joins those continuing the exploration, volunteering to be to one to open or step through each door, shield ready when he does so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using the Defend activity, so shield is raised if an encounter starts.

His perception isn't great (1d20+3)[14]

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Unfamiliar with divine petitions, Brek is a little surprised to find it takes about as long as memorizing a spell from a spellbook. "Huh," he mutters, eloquently.

"If we got a few more minutes, let's check over here, eh?" He steps around the remains of the Bugbear nest and listens carefully to the next door before opening it and peering inside.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Checking the door immediately south-west of the ex bugbear nest. (1d20+5)[18] perception

15. - Top - End - #165

NecromancerGuy

Corry carries the wooden shield to Olarn and says, "You might get some use from this if your other one breaks again. Here." Giving the shield to the larger man he turns to look at the dead bugbear again. "Can someone help me move the body from the doorway?" he asks as he starts to drag the creature towards one of the more ruined rooms. "It might be a good idea to bury it later, but for now we can at least get it out of the way, right?"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophillia helps corry shift the dead bugbear out of the way, while looking out for trouble and attempting to be as quiet as possible.

Spoiler: status & rolls
    Show

AC:18(20)
    longsword & shield

Perception (1d20+5)[13]
    Stealth (1d20+7)[22]

Reactions
    Shield Block
    Attack of Opportunity

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Olarn

Olarn takes point again, as he points to the western room as a possible way forward.

18. - Top - End - #168

Algar volunteers to lead the charge through any potentially dangerous doors.

Brek investigates the room closest to the bugbear fort.

Corry offers his advice and a shield to Olarn. Ophilia follows and assists in shifting the dead bugbear.

Olarn walks through the western door into the room beyond with Corry, Ophilia, and Algar following behind.

You see a dust-covered, black wooden countertop running along the walls of the southwestern end of this galley-style room. It clearly was once a kitchen, but its cupboards and shelves were stripped of most tools and provisions long ago. There are cabinets running underneath the table, as well as shelves running the length of the walls above it.

Spoiler: Brek
    Show
    You see a well furninsed, if cramped, bedroom complete with the moldering remains of a bed, wardrobe, and night table. Digging into the wardrobe you see a false floor in the bottom, though it has rotted some now and all you have to do is pry it apart. You find a bag that feels like it is filled with a gooey substance and looks rigged to explode upon impact after it is thrown. You also find a flask full of liquid reagents that looks like it will cause ill effects when thrown at an enemy. You recognize the bag as a bag of tanglefoot, though you are not sure which of the elements the flask will manifest, you suspect it could be acid, fire, electricity, or frost. You'll have to talk to someone more skilled in alchemy to assist you with identifying it further, or just use it and see.

Spoiler: doors
    Show
    From this kitchen room you have doors running north and west (as well as the eastern door you just came through). You can search in this room (and if so let me know where or what you are searching (the table, the cabinets, the shelves, the floor, etc), or you can just continue on through another door.

Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Algar surveys the scene, frowning, No sign of the goblin tribe yet, is there? I suppose pressing on is all there is to do."

20. - Top - End - #170

NecromancerGuy

"Brek! Don't lag too far behind!" calls Corry as he continues to follow along during the exploration. "Let's check out the door to the north next - the one to the west will take us to the room with the training dummies."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Algar nods, taking the lead and opening the door.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophillia sticking within 5ft of corry moving as quietly as possible looking around for danger

Spoiler: status & rolls
    Show

Perception (1d20+5)[22]
    Stealth (1d20+7)[20]

Reactions
    Shield Block
    Attack of Opportunity
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-05-27 at 07:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Brek quickly snatches up the two projectiles and follows the others. He snuggles them into pockets on his bandolier while walking, then pulls out his warhammer and shield to act as rearguard. "Aye, no worries wee one. Ah'm here."

24. - Top - End - #174

Algar encourages the others to keep moving and Corry suggests they head north, as west seems to lead to an area he already looked into with Ophilia earlier. Algar nods at the suggestion and leads the way north with Corry following him and Ophilia following Corry. Brek quickly makes his way to catch back up to the group and brings up the rear keeping an eye out. As the group makes it into the next room they spread out around the remains of broken tables and chairs so as not to become entagled. This is a large room with rows of what used to be long dining tables surrounded by broken bits of chair. The entire room has an air of disuse and disarray. There is obviously nothing of note here, and it has been picked over clean and anything not valuable distroyed and scattered. While the group is looking around, they suddenly hear a loud scream from the kitchen they had just left and realize Olarn had never joined them in the dinning hall.
    The group rushes back to see two swarms of fat red spiders have attacked Olarn as he was approaching the western door. He swats and bats at them furiously, but they quickly overwhelm him and he falls as the spiders bite him with their venomous fangs over and over again. The spiders promptly start wrapping him in webbing to digest and eat later. The spiders seem preoccupied with their task and uninterested in the other members, so long as they stay near the north door.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    ProudGrognard withdrew, so I killed him off. Those spiders were in the room and would have attacked you had you chose to go through the western door, so I figured I would just use them to kill him off quickly. It is now your choice whether to engage with them or let them have their kill. Whatever gear he was carrying will be up for grabs if you beat the swarm, and you'll be clearing out a potential enemy for later if you need to use that door for something else.

In the meantime, the dinning hall has 3 doors: 1 west, 1 east, and 1 south (that you came through). Let me know how you react to your fallen commrade and what you want to do next.

Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Algar rushes towards the spiders, sword high.
    Spoiler
    Show
    spiders aren't on the map, so can't post details. Moving and attacking, raising shield if possible.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Brek quickly turns on his heels to defend Olarn. He storms forward, all muscles and force. He takes up a position with the quickly-wrapped fighter to his flank and unleashes a blast of fire from his open palms, washing over the spiders!

Spoiler: Brek, round 1
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 19/19, Speed 20
    AC 13, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 7, Perc 5, Darkvision
    Warhammer +5 (1d8+2 Bludgeoning)
    Force Bolt auto-hit (1d4+1 Force) 1/1 focus
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Conditions
    Call on Ancient Blood: 1/1 (heritage, reaction, save vs spell)
    Drain Bonded item: 1/1 (wizard, re-cast spell)
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 1/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 1/1

I don't know the details, but this seems like a great use for Burning Hands. Let me know what we should roll for initiative, or feel free to roll it for me.

27. - Top - End - #177

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 1
    Show
    Corriander Taylor
    Neutral Good Halfling Angelic Sorcerer, Level 1, HP 14/14, Speed 25 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Twilight Halfling), Local Scion
    AC 15, Fort 5, [B]Ref[/B 5, Will 6, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 18
    Conditions: None

"Olarn! Get them off him, quickly!" cries Corry as he rushes into position to attack the monstrous spiders with his light mace.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    "Swarms" meant something in PF1e that I am concerned applies here. If he can actually deal damage, Corry will move into position and cast Divine Lance against one of the enemies. (1d20+7)[23] to hit, (1d4+4)[5] [Good] damage

Move, draw light mace, and attack with light mace using the rolls above. Modifiers are +5 to hit (for a result of a 21 to hit) and 1d4-1 damage (so, only 1 damage dealt).

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophillia
    actions
    ranged attack spider with Longbow (1d20+7)[26] damage (1d8)[5]
    ranged attack spider with Longbow (1d20+2)[13] damage (1d8)[7]
    ranged attack spider with Longbow (1d20-3)[9] damage (1d8)[3]

Spoiler: condition/status
    Show

Ophillia
    reactions
    shield block
    attack of opportunity
    AC 18(20)
    HP:16

29. - Top - End - #179

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    The default initiative is perception (if I don't specify), but you can always just roll 1d20 and let me decide what to use if you are unsure. Since no one rolled, I rolled for yall. We are going to use block initiative (so everyone can just post and I'll resolve you all acting in whatever order you post in), but I am posting the results here so you can see them.
    Algar: 1d20(17)+3 = 20
    Brek: 1d20(12)+5 = 18
    Corry: 1d20(20)+5 = 25
    Ophillia:1d20(19)+5=24
    Spiders: 21

So you guys act first

Algar moves forward and attacks the spiders, swinging his longsword into the swarm. Brek positions himself to hit both swarms with his Burning Hands, manifesting gouts of flame in a 15 foot cone that completely incinerates one swarm and strongly damages the one still on Olarn. Ophillia takes out her bow and fires into the remaining swarm. The shot takes out a large number of the spiders. The few remaining spiders are quickly stomped out as they try to scatter.
    The swarms then attack back, going after Brek and Algar.
    Ref 12 save vs DC 16 burning hands
    Spoiler: Algar attack
    Show
    (1d20+7)[17] for (1d8+4)[8] Slashing damage

Spoiler: Ophillia
    Show
    You have point-blank shot, which can add 2 to damage rolls to enemies within first range increment, but takes 1 action. (1d8+2)[8] + (1d10)[2] deadly damage for a total of 13 piercing (I added 2 to my extra roll by accident). Nice job!

Spoiler: next
    Show
    You killed both swarms. Yall were amazingly effective that first round, as swarms have damage reduction and immunities that make them harder to kill, even though they don't have much HP. The dice really favored you this time. I am glad to get to see you be awesome. Feel free to embellish on what I wrote if you want to expand on how it came to be so effective or awesome. However Olarn is dead from numerous spider bites that he is apparently highly allergic to. Let me know what you want to do.

Spoiler: map
    Show
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-06-02 at 01:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Algar quickly checks Olarn for a pulse. "Too late."

He stands, collecting himself for a moment. They had known each other well, but losing even a new ally under such circumstances was a failure. "We can take him for proper burial when we leave. For now, let us gather a shroud."