New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Corry sits next to Olarn's body with a heavy sigh, tears in his eyes as he looks at the fallen warrior. "Shelyn guard your soul," he says simply as he leans over to close the man's eyes. "He was a good man, even with the rough time he and his family had over the last several years. His parents will be heartbroken to lose another son..."

He then rises to help with the task of securing the body from scavengers, holding back further emotions for now.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Brek nods at Algar's suggestion, chagrin at the pronouncement. He steps back into the room where the Bugbear was nesting, quickly recovers a relatively clean piece of cloth, and shakes it down hard to knock some of the dust and grime away. He steps over to where Corry is offering some abridged last rites, and offers his help to wrap their fallen ally tightly in the blanket. "We'll bring ya back home, lad. Don't ya worry, that," he offers, inclining his head respectfully.

"Eyes open, all. Could just's easily been one o' us. Ain't safe here 'till we get done what we came for." He looks around the small room, worried by the realization that the spiders must have been well-hidden, right under their noses. "Look lively, then. Nothin' to be done for 'im yet."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Algar pulls himself away from the scene, reluctantly, and resumes his position on point. "Still have a job to do. Might be others here yet that can be saved."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Brek nods at Algar's declaration and action. He eyes the man with a stoic expression of respect and falls in at the rear.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophillia wanders up the hall to the first door on the right and checks to see if locked, if not will listen (1d20+5)[15] at the door then open to see what is inside

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Brek watches mostly what Ophilia isn't doing. He keeps her present in his peripheral vision while pointedly scanning the other doors and openings for potential threats.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

As Ophilia listens at the door, she doesn't hear anything from the other side of the door. She cautiously opens the door and sees many rows of stadium-style benches with a wide dais standing to the north. Garbage clutters what was once undoubtedly a pristine floor. A small corridor near the dais leads to the west, while to the north, an iron gate provides a view into a central courtyard. As the group files in behind her, sounds can be heard through the grate to the north. There are a series of barking growls, then the sound of claws scraping on stone and finally a series of voices. Most are goblin sounding voices, though one has the clear high-pitch timber you have come to associate with halflings. It sounds like they are arguing, though it is hard to make out what they are saying as they are speaking goblin. The gates to the north are slightly ajar and you can see that there is sunlight streaming into the courtyard beyond, but don't see any ground or anything besides the far wall from your current viewpoint.

Spoiler: Brek
    Show
    Since Brek speaks goblin, he can tell that the halfing is making increasingly insulting threats to the goblins and demanding to be shown an entrance to the dungeon, though the goblins are just refusing.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    You can go north to see through the grate or you can explore the room you are in

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Algar listens, then shakes his head, unable to understand any of it. He whispers to the others, "Anyone follow that? They the ones we are looking for?"

9. - Top - End - #189

NecromancerGuy

"I don't speak Goblin, but that sounds like another halfling," says Corry as he listens. Then he shrugs and looks around the room, intent on spotting any threats before they surprise the party.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception (1d20+5)[21]

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophillia will move to the north doors area
    check the door on the right first to see if locked then listen (1d20+5)[9]
    then check the doors on the left the northern door first to see if locked then listen (1d20+5)[13]
    then the southern door on left to see if locked then listen (1d20+5)[24]

11. - Top - End - #191

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Since FarmerBink (Brek) is moving, we can just assume he tells you what he heard. He will continue guarding the rear (as has been his want) and if you get into a pinch I will let him attack per his usual patterns and whatever else seems most logical

Brek says "Aye, they be the ones we be looking for. Sounds like the ...halfling...", here he looks at Corry for confirmation, "... is making demands to be shown a ... dungeon?" He shrugs his shoulders and continues to translate some of the insults being hurled back and forth and explaining why they are insults to golbins for some of it, but the others are moving on having gotten the gist of it. Brek continues to scan doors, making sure that nothing is sneaking up on them.

Algar and Corry are watching the main gate, but there isn't much to see. Things are pretty messy in this room and it looks pretty picked over, though there may be a few things worth coming back to investigate after the main threat is taken care of.

Ophilia moves forward checking the doors around that area. None of the doors are locked and they open easily, having mostly disintegrated over the past several decades. They all are just short hallways that lead to new doors that are also not in a great shape. No threatening noises (besides though out in the courtyard) can be heard. Looking at the dust on the floor, none of these hallways have been used in a while.

Spoiler: Ophilia
    Show
    Just being near the northern gate, you can see a little bit through the grating. It is a dirt courtyard, with the far wall having collapsed and leaving rubble. You aren't concentrating, this is just detail you notice as you are doing other stuff

Spoiler: Next actions
    Show
    You are welcome to keep exploring. None of the doors (besides the first one you used to get into the castle) are locked, so feel free to search. The gate is ajar.

Show
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-06-10 at 11:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Brek trudges at the rear, occasionally snorting as the Goblins and their unlikely guest continue to develop new and interesting ways to insult one another. He doesn't add anything to the conversation, and lets Ophelia and Corry take point in the exploration- both seem more curiously thorough, and he's still on edge from the spiders.

Show
    I assume Brek would be able to tell if the insults were playful or hostile in nature? Like, does it sound more like friendly bantering or the speakers actually getting pretty angry?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

"Shall we introduce ourselves? If these are the ones we came to save, we ought to."

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Brek trudges at the rear, occasionally snorting as the Goblins and their unlikely guest continue to develop new and interesting ways to insult one another. He doesn't add anything to the conversation, and lets Ophelia and Corry take point in the exploration- both seem more curiously thorough, and he's still on edge from the spiders.

Show
    I assume Brek would be able to tell if the insults were playful or hostile in nature? Like, does it sound more like friendly bantering or the speakers actually getting pretty angry?
    Brek can definitely tell they are angry and quite pungent, only making each side more and more mad. It sounds like it will escalate to violence soon.

15. - Top - End - #195

NecromancerGuy

"They sound like they are getting more and more angry. Let's go and see if we can't prevent a fight from breaking out - I would like to avvoid more unnecessary bloodshed today," Corry says as he looks to everyone else for confirmation. "Can we get to them? Is that gate locked?"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Brek places a cautious hand on Corry's chest. In a deep baritone whisper, he grumbles. "Maybe not so hasty, eh? Enemy o' my enemy, an' all that... Let's have a sneakier fellow try 'n see what's what before we go and barge in?"

He nods to Ophilia deliberately, before turning back to the Halfling, frowning uncertainly. "I don' much like the idea of more unnecessary violence, but this place ain't all on the up 'n up, eh? Might save us some trouble if they do each other in."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Algar's face is firm and voice level, though his eyes betray a hint of annoyance. "If some of them are the ones we are trying to rescue, I would rather they not be 'done in' at all. I suspect we also don't want the demanding one to get what he wants. We need to get there and sort this out."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "They sound like they are getting more and more angry. Let's go and see if we can't prevent a fight from breaking out - I would like to avvoid more unnecessary bloodshed today," Corry says as he looks to everyone else for confirmation. "Can we get to them? Is that gate locked?"
    It is not locked, we can go and see about trying to stop something before it goes to far

19. - Top - End - #199

NecromancerGuy

"Well, I can be quiet, but I don't understand Goblin. I won't intervene without the rest of you, but I think we should do something..." replies Corry to Brek, as the others chime in with their input. When it seems like most want to go and do something he nods and gets ready to follow whoever leads.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Algar nods, then goes through the nearest door toward the voices, shield raised.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Brek frowns thoughtfully. "Guess you might be right on that... If these Goblins 're good folks.... Ah, hells, let's go see to it."

22. - Top - End - #202

A short flight of stairs leads down to an open-air courtyard surrounded by imposing octagonal walls, while you pass through a heavy iron gate in the south. A few errant milkweeds and tufts of crabgrass protrude from the cracked cobblestone flooring. The ground to the west is sunken in, creating a natural pool of rainwater. To the north, the battlements above have partially collapsed into a huge mound of stone and wooden rubble, under which some sort of reptilian creature seems to have been crushed. The top half of a flight of wooden stairs rises up to the battlements above the collapsed section of the walls; broken plants from the bottom half lie amid the rubble below. A thick rope has been affixed via a grappling hook to the lower portion of the stairs, dangling down to within a few feet of the top of the rubble pile.

The desperate shouts and barking growls continue here, but now their sources are obvious. The shouts come from the battlements above, where a few goblins and a halfling man holding another goblin at knifepoint can be seen. The man seems to be threatening the goblins, while the goblins look like they’re pleading for mercy. The source of the growling is of greater concern, though—for it comes from a large, draconic beast not far away at ground level, roaring at the delicious but inaccessible prey above!

Some goblins are looking desperately for anything to help them out of their dire situation, and they notice you as you enter the courtyard. They immediately start calling to you for help in a mixture of goblin and common. The halfling looks around to see what has gotten the goblins so excited and then retreats with his hostage into a nearby tower. The rest of the goblins back away from the edge, pleading for someone, anyone to help them with their miserable plight. You see the draconic looking lizard start to turn around too.

Show

Show
    Alright we are going to roll group initiative again. Just perception is fine, unless your character is going to initiate combat is some unconventional method (with a different skill than sizing up his enemy). Algar said he leads and Corry was going to follow. Ophillia has been following Corry everywhere and Brek won't let you wonder into trouble alone, as he guards the rear so I figure the whole group is there, though let me know if I have the order or formation wrong.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Algar quickly assesses the situation, then calls to his companions, "We need to defeat the beast to save the hostage. I will try to keep its attention."
    Spoiler
    Show
    SHield is already raised do to exploration activity. Will shield block if doing so doesn't break the shield. Will retributive strike if someone else gets attacked

Perception - (1d20+3)[23]

It would be much faster to have initiative rolled as part of the GM post so we didn't have to spend time sorting it out afterward, but the different skills for initiative thing makes that tricky I suppose.
    Last edited by stack; 2020-06-16 at 09:51 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Algar pointing out the situation and the beast

Ophillia Perception/Initiative (1d20+5)[24]
    monster range appears to be 25ft from Ophillia

On Ophillia's turn
    Action 1: Draw Longbow
    Action 2: Aim - Point-Blank Shot
    Action 3: Shoot Longbow (1d20+7)[9] Damage (1d8)[1] Deadly (1d10)[2] ** Swing and a miss - probably
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-06-16 at 07:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It would be much faster to have initiative rolled as part of the GM post so we didn't have to spend time sorting it out afterward, but the different skills for initiative thing makes that tricky I suppose.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I strongly agree with stack's recommendation. In the meanwhile - Perception (1d20+5)[19]

26. - Top - End - #206

Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    Will do! Still trying to get used to how to make this run smoothly on forums. Most groups I have tried before just go along until they get sick of it and leave, so I never got constructive feedback about how to ease it for them. I am happy to roll the Initiative myself and get you guys straight into the action. Please keep the feedback coming!

Spoiler: Inititaive
    Show

Players (you will act in whatever order you post in, so you are free to react to each other based on what someone posts for that round).
    Draconic Creature

The creature sees you are starts rushing over toward you, Ophilia pulls out her bow and unloads a volley, that misses wide.

Show
    Brek, Algar, and Corry still need to react. Ophilia has done her action for this round and will have to wait until next round. The creature is coming toward you, so you can make melee range attacks that will take effect as soon as it reaches you or you can rush toward it to meet it half way.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Algar takes a short rush forward, shield high, striking out at the creature as the collide.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Action 1: stride
    Action 2: strike (1d20+7)[18] for (1d8+4)[7] slashing
    Action 3: raise shield (AC20)

reaction (if attacked with an attack that would NOT break his shield (Hard 5, 20 HP, 10 BT)) shield block
    Reaction is someone else within 15' is attacked: retributive strike (ally gets resistance 3, Algar may Step to bring attacker in range, and he Strikes (1d20+7)[8] for (1d8+4)[7] slashing
    Last edited by stack; 2020-06-19 at 08:39 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Brek nods, his eyes hard. As the dragon rushes forward, and Algar steps forward to receive the charge, the wizard lowers his hammer to focus his will. A faint crackle of energy cascades from his mind down his arm, finally culminating at the end of his Warhammer. Brek raises the weapon to point it at the charging reptile, and a quick series of three bright bolts of pure force erupts forth, streaking into the dragon's flanks.

Spoiler: Brek, round 1
    Show
    Brek Stormeye
    M LG Dwarf Wizard, Level 1, HP 19/19, Speed 20
    AC 13, Fort 6, Ref 3, Will 7, Perc 5, Darkvision
    Warhammer +5 (1d8+2 Bludgeoning)
    Force Bolt auto-hit (1d4+1 Force) 1/1 focus
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Conditions
    Call on Ancient Blood: 1/1 (heritage, reaction, save vs spell)
    Drain Bonded item: 1/1 (wizard, re-cast spell)
    Familiar
    Burning Hands 0/1 (widen)
    Color Spray 1/1 (widen)
    Magic Missile 0/1

Using MM with 3 of 3 actions for (3d4+3)[12] force damage

29. - Top - End - #209

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Corriander's Status, Round 1
    Show
    Corriander Taylor
    Neutral Good Halfling Angelic Sorcerer, Level 1, HP 14/14, Speed 25 ft.
    Small Humanoid (Twilight Halfling), Local Scion
    AC 15, Fort 5, [B]Ref[/B 5, Will 6, Perception 5
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 18
    Conditions: None

"Whoa! Shelyn, bless our strikes!" cries Corry as the dragon charges and he draws his mace.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Cast Bless to give allies within 5' +1 to attack and then draw his light mace. I plan to expand the area of effect over the next several rounds to facilitate movement.

30. - Top - End - #210

Algar rushes forward to close with the creature. He slashes with his longsword, scoring a direct hit on the creature. The creature instantly opens its mouth and lets out an angry hiss that releases some noxious fumes hitting Algar square in the face. Brek points his warhammer, releasing 3 blasts of energy that broadside the beast, leaving nasty looking burns. Corry prays for blessing, trying to include as many of his allies as he can.

The creature whips its head forward and bites at Algar.

Spoiler: Algar
    Show
    You need to make a DC 18 fortitude save or be sickened 1. You become sickened 2 on critical failure (less than 8 on the roll).
    Spoiler: sickened
    Show
    You take a status penalty equal to this value on all your checks and DCs. You can’t willingly ingest anything—including elixirs and potions—while sickened. You can spend a single action retching in an attempt to recover, which lets you immediately attempt a Fortitude save against the DC of the effect that made you sickened. On a success, you reduce your sickened value by 1 (or by 2 on a critical success).
    You make the first save immediately (on your previous turn as his use of it was a reaction to you attacking), then if that fails, you can make another check on your turn by spending an action retching. So go ahead and have two alternative actions, one with 3 actions (assuming success on your first or just want to take the status penalty) and another if you want to try to recover by taking an action on your turn (and have 2 more left, though it is your choice to do this or not).

Bite attack (1d20+10)[21] vs AC 20 for (1d12+4)[6] piercing.

Show

Spoiler: creature
    Show

Show
    Algar is facing the creature, holding its attention away from the group, while everyone else is further away. While the creature looks dragonoid, it is clearly not a dragon, it looks more crocodilian. It is about 16' long and looks to weigh nearly a ton from your assessment. You can roll Recall Knowledge Nature check to identify it and learn more about it. Everyone can act again now. Remember you all are acting in whatever order you post in.