New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ashes In-Game Group I

Algar gets a lung-full of the gas, almost instantly making his stomach churn. It is not enough to drop his shield, however, and he takes the jaws across his steel. The worst is turned, but the size of the creature leaves his arm bruised and shield dented. He stands his ground, keeping shield high and striking, though his activity is punctuated by a coughing, trying to clear his lungs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    shield reduced 6 damage to 1, ALgar and shield take 1 damage each.

1. retch for new save (1d20+6)[13] (includes sickened)
    2. attack (1d20+6)[26] (includes sickened (+1 if save successful), outside of the bless radius) for (1d8+4)[6] slashing damage
    3. Raise Shield (5 hardness, 19 HP, 10 break threshold)

reaction (if attacked with an attack that would NOT break his shield (Hard 5, 19/20 HP, 10 BT)) shield block
    Reaction is someone else within 15' is attacked: retributive strike (ally gets resistance 3, Algar may Step to bring attacker in range, and he Strikes (1d8+4)[6] for [roll3] slashing DOUBLED FOR CRIT

AC 20 (19 sickened), 19/20 HP
    Last edited by stack; 2020-06-22 at 09:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: botched reaction attack roll
    Show
    attack (1d20+6)[12]
    damage (1d8+4)[9]

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

On Ophillia's round 2
    attempting to not hit Algar
    Action 1: Aim - Point-Blank Shot
    Action 2: Shoot Longbow (1d20+7)[8] Damage (1d8)[4] Deadly (1d10)[7] * probably missed
    Action 3: Shoot Longbow (1d20+2)[22] Damage (1d8)[8] Deadly (1d10)[4] * Crit - nice
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-06-22 at 11:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Algar feels the nauseousness overtake him, but lets it drive him to finish this all the more quickly. He makes a mighty swing, connecting on the head of the large crocodillian dragonoid creature, leaving a gash in it. The creature bellows in pain and tries to start making a run for the large water pit to the west, but before it can even take a step, Ophillia aims and draws her bow back, shooting the creature through its eye and embedding deeply in the skull. With a final thrash of its body, the creature crumples dead at Algar's feet.

The group quickly looks around, but sees no more threats. The goblins on the battlements above give a loud cheer and start begging for you to come up and help them, encouraging you to climb up their makeshift rope ladder that is hanging from what is now the bottom step of the collapsed staircase. It is a 10-foot climb, but the rope is just a plain rope with no knots or anything to make climbing easier, so it will be no small task to make the climb. However, you have no threats or problems to pressure you.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    It is a DC 15 athletics check to make it up the rope. If you are trained, you can assist the others. Everyone make the check, but as it is just a matter of time, I will judge how long it takes you based on only 1 roll. Once up on the battlements the goblins are eager for your assistance.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Corry stops his prayer for blessings, instead finishing it with a whisper of gratitude. "Algar, do you need healing? Let me get the kit out..." he says as he pulls his healer's tools from his pack to minister to the mighty warrior.

The little halfling then looks at the rope with an unconfident expression. "I am going to need some help with this..."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Treat Wounds DC 15 - (1d20+5)[25] to heal (2d8)[6] HPs.

Acrobatics to climb (DC 15) - (1d20-1)[0]

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Algar works to expel the last of the gas from his lungs and regain equilibrium, then helps others up the rope, using his athletic experience and great strength.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Algar was only down 1 HP, but thanks anyhow.

Do I need to roll to remove the sickened?
    (10d20)[13][19][6][8][8][1][16][2][14][14](101), add 6, so 1st 12 gets to DC 18

Athletics to Help
    Brek (1d20+7)[12]
    Corry(1d20+7)[24]
    Ophillia(1d20+7)[21]

Athletics to climb up himself (1d20+7)[22]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Brek starts forward, but his charge is interrupted by Ophilia's well-aimed arrow. "Good shot, lass!" he cries, pleased with the quick work made of their foe. No longer stressed by the urgency of battle, he pauses to consider the fallen reptile.

Spoiler: knowledge
    Show
    Recall knowledge: dunno if arcana or nature applies better. (1d20)[1] +6 arcana, +5 nature

He turns to the Goblins, and tries to take a quick stock of their situation. He easily shifts into the oddly-lilting tongue of Goblins, as he calls out, "Little ones, are you all well? We have come on behalf of a matronly Goblin named Warbal. She asked us to check on the Bumblebrashers. Might you be them?"

He begins to approach the rope with a bit of trepidation. "Ain't one o' my strengths, either. We'll see if I can manage." He straps the hammer over his shoulder, and puts his broad hands to the rope.

Spoiler: Athletics
    Show
    (1d20+2)[19] to climb the rope

8. - Top - End - #218

Spoiler: Ophilia Athletics check
    Show
    (1d20+4)[6]

Brek calls out to the goblins after reflecting on the creature for a few seconds. They respond "Yes we are the Bumblebrashers! Help us, he has taken our chief, Helba!" Which matches what Warbal told you about the Bumblebrashers on the way over here. Algar helps the others to make it up the rope, and especially Corry who he has to all but carry up the rope, but after a tense few minutes everyone is able to to make it to the top of the battlements.

Once on top, you can see that there are 4 stone towers up here, though the northern battlements seem to be all collapsed along with the wall under it. Citadel Altaerein’s battlements provide a breathtaking view. To the east rise the majestic Five Kings Mountains, looming as ageless rocky monoliths in the hazy fog. To the south, rolling foothills unfurl, nestled around Breachill’s rooftops. Along the battlements, six bonfires have been heaped, although currently only the southwestern three are burning fitfully, sending plumes of reddish smoke into the air. Near the southeastern tower stands Calmont the halfling holding a goblin, presumably Helba, at knife-point. When you make it up the stairs, he addresses you in a shrill voice:

"And who are you? Oh... wait! The do-gooders from town! You were supposed to burn in the fire! What are you doing here... No closer! I’ll cut this goblin’s ears off if you don’t leave at once!"

He is waving the knife threateningly around Helba's head.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    You are free to approach this however you want. He has made his threat and is looking at you. His back is to the door, the goblins don't seem to have any weapons. Let me know how you react. Sorry for rolling for Ophillia, but I didn't want to make everyone wait. Note that the scale has switched to 10 feet per square. Sorry, but that is the way it is drawn.

Spoiler: map
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Algar steps to be in clear view and slowly sheathes his sword. "Let us talk about this. There is something you want. Why don't you tell us what is is? Everyone got out of the fire, so as far as I know, you haven't killed anyone yet. Means you still have a way out."
    Spoiler
    Show
    starting on Diplomacy to Make an Impression. Do you want me to roll now, or after more palaver?
    Last edited by stack; 2020-06-23 at 08:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220

NecromancerGuy

"Calmont! Stop it!" calls Corriander, his voice firm but not unkind. "You have caused serious damage back in town, but we were able to put out the fire before someone got hurt. If you let Helba go then you can still come back without blood on your hands - take a deep breath, do the right thing, and let's talk about this like civilized adults."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+7)[24] to get Calmont to let Helba go. The rest might happen, or not, but for now he wants to put some doubt in Calmont's mind that could lead to less bloodshed right here, right now.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Ophilia Athletics check (1d20+4)[6]
    while I appreciate the roll it has only been a day Yesterday, 10:59 AM since the call for a roll was made so seems maybe waiting a tad longer might be helpful
    (1d20+4)[15] Athletics

Edit
    it appears map wise that from the square ophillia is in to the other side is about 80ft regardless of where
    so waiting to see what happens with Corriander's Diplomacy effort, *Action holding bow arrow noched & at the ready
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-06-23 at 04:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Brek watches the exchange from the rear of the group impassively. He keeps his warhammer handy, and considers the implement with the focus only a practitioner of the arcane can muster. In his mind, he prepares to draw the energy from his weapon to fuel another spell, but for the moment he simply observes the would-be murderer and confirmed arsonist.

13. - Top - End - #223

Spoiler: Ophillia (samduke)
    Show
    Sorry about that. I wanted to get that previous post in because the mechanics weren't critical (especially with Algar's help), and I knew I was leaving for the day soon. I ended up getting sick and it was fortuitous that I did get that previous post in so that we could progress a little more, but I will try not to railroad like that again. I am sorry.

Algar tries to soften Calmont up, but Calmont isn't having any of it. Corry gives a very convincing speech and you can see some of his hostility melt away. "I can't just let my hostage go, you all will stop me from realizing my goal when I am so close." You can see his eyes flicker from one person to the next, sizing each of you up and your weapons. "Alright, I can see I don't stand a chance against you guys, Helba is free to go." His whole body seems to collapse as he releases Helba and sinks to his knees, dropping his knife.

"I'll tell you what you want to know." he starts talking softly "I am trying to get to the basement where Alseta's Ring is. These little," here he looks over and sneers at the goblins, "pests used to live down there. There is an elf's gate down there. Do you know how much money someone would pay for information about lost elf gates?!? A lot! Only these worms wouldn't tell me how to get downstairs."

He doesn't resist you at all as you secure him. He seems defeated and willing to talk and answer any of your questions.

Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    You guys are lucky, the DC was 16, so stack's 7 was barely not a critical failure that would have triggered an automatic attack, but the 24 wasn't quite enough for a critical success either. Calmont is now defeated and available for questioning, as well as talking to Helba, the chieftain of the goblins. You can also get Warbal, if you want to involve her at all. You each get 140 XP. Keep it up!
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-06-30 at 10:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Algar moves to place himself between the halfling and his released hostage. "Alright, we can settle this back in town." He looks at Helba, "Are you injured?"

Algar will bind Calmont to prevent him from escaping.

15. - Top - End - #225

"I am fine, kind stranger. Your assistance is appreciated. We are safe once again, though unable to return home just yet." Helba responds as she turns and starts speaking for her fellow goblins, making sure no one was injured.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Brek watches impassively as the Halfling abandons his hostage situation. He approaches slowly, nodding resolutely- pleased by the deescalation. As their captive continues talking and explains the situation, Brek grunts, turning sour. "Can the 'pests' talk, eh? If I can get over fourteen generations of war- and that's just what I know, mind you- you can cram that thinkin' back wherever it came from." He eyes the subdued Halfling irritably, before turning to Helba.

Cutting straight to the chase, he takes only long enough to acknowledge her safety and health before interrupting the niceties with a grunt. "Seems to me he's talkin' true, but obviously ain't seeing the whole picture. Wanna tell us why you can't go 'ome?"

17. - Top - End - #227

NecromancerGuy

Corriander smiles and helps the goblin Helba back to the rest of the tribe. "Whew - I'm glad we were able to help without more bloodshed.
    Do you know anything about what he is talking about?
    " he asks, trying to be more gentle than Brek's gruff questions, but interested in the same answers.

18. - Top - End - #228

As you ask Helba about her home, she gets a panicked look at her face, but then she glances back to her tribe mates and conspicuously rights her posture. "Cultists—at least I think they’re cultists. They called themselves the Cinderclaws, and they said our home was their home now. They threatened to roast us! To peel us and eat us! Ack! And they had dragon monsters with them! So of course we ran from the vaults. Then so many monsters on the ground floor, so we ran up here, to the battlements. That dragon thing down in the courtyard kept us from getting away! It wanted to eat us! But it seems you already took care of it, so thank you!" She then continues to explain that one of the dragon creatures, as it was chasing them up the stairs from the basement, caused the entire wall to cave in right there and bury the stairs, hence the mess in the courtyard. The other dragon creature has been eating its one-time companion and generally been harrying the goblins.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Algar furrows his brow, "Maybe we should get this whole lot safely to town before investigating further?"

20. - Top - End - #230

NecromancerGuy

"I agree - it's too dangerous here and getting everyone to safety should be our first priority. Once everyone is out of harms way we can come back," says Corry as he looks about the poor goblin tribe members. "I'm not sure that bringing everyone into town is best, or what they want, though..."

Turning back to Helba he says, "We will try to help, but we need to get you all to safety first. Where can we go that will keep your people far enough away that they are safe but not so far that they panic?"

21. - Top - End - #231

"We can move into the nearby hills and make camp..." Helba replies as she turns her big eyes to look into your face, "hopefully a temporary camp, until the cultists are removed(?)." This ends almost as a question, though she turns away not exactly expecting an answer. She starts having everybody gather what they can and make preparations to leave for the hills.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Brek grunts at Helba's not-quite-asked question. "Never much was fond of people kickin' folks outa their home, much less roastin' 'em alive," he grumbles. "Not sure exactly what's entailed by 'investigate,' but we got as many questions as answers, so far." He glances around, sizing up his companions responses, and pleased at what appears to be agreement.

"I'm keen ta start rooting 'em out, if you all are." He turns to Helba. "Oy there, if they took out the stairs, how else would we get down below anyhow?"

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophilia wanders along side of corry looking at the lack of stairs.

I guess we could use a rope.

24. - Top - End - #234

Helba looks at each of you gratefully and then responds. "Yes, of course, we’ll tell you. You’re friends. There’s a secret door just down the hill to the west. It’s not hard to find when you look, but I can show it to you! It goes right to the vaults, where we used to live; we used the door all the time to go out and hunt for food."

25. - Top - End - #235

NecromancerGuy

Corry nods in agreement. "I think we should look into the issue right away, but what about Calmont? Where can we leave him that will be safe for everyone involved?"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

"Drag him to town and turn him in. No reason to risk and escape."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Brek frowns. "I dunno if we've best got the time for all that," he grumbles with a scowl.

Once more he turns to Helba. "Do your people have a way to keep him secured? He'll have ta answer for what 'es done, but he ain't killed nobody. I figure a couple months or a year workin' off the damage he caused and if he plays nice, all is well." He fixes the Halfing with a stern but not hostile glare.

"You gonna be well behaved? Mighta been you were willing to kill folks with that bonfire back there, but I hope you know how lucky you are that we're not talkin' murder here. Don't wanna turn down a blessing like that, eh?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Ophillia

take him and turn him in or lets be rid of him here and now
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-07-04 at 03:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

NecromancerGuy

"No, don't kill him! We should give him a chance to repent and make amends!" responds Corry, apparently shocked at the idea that the party would summarily execute Calmont. "If everyone is safe and we have the time, then lets get back to town and drop him off. Then we can come back here and help out the tribe..."

30. - Top - End - #240

Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    There is no specific time crunch you are aware of. You have caught him and goblins will help you get down to the basement whenever you come back, but as far as you know the main entrance/exit from the basement is blocked and the other one isn't known well enough to be used. There is definitely something to investigate, but not huge hurry that requires you to jump on it right now. The day or two it would take to bring Calmont to town and return would not be a problem.

Helba looks at Brek "We can watch over him, but we have no where to take him and nothing to do with him. Everything around here seems to want us dead, so the faster we leave the better! But you are friends, so we can help."