New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: When did you start playing RPGs (if ever)?

I think my first RPG was... 1993 or 1994, maybe? The SEGA Mega-Drive/Genesis had been on the market for long enough that I got a second-hand one for Christmas with a bunch of games, one of which was Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. It was my first experience of isometric view, or RPGs and some kind of sci-fi that I was actually invested in rather than just catchng the odd episode of Star Trek every weekend.

At the time it was baffling - I had no experience of anything like D&D or the likes so I had no frame of reference for to-hit chances, critical hits or anything like that, to say nothing of building a character with stats suitable for a role in a party. It was also ruthlessly hard with at least 2 Automatic Game-Overs on the tutorial level, and then got worse from there.

Apparently it left a mark though, as it prepared me for Pokemon Blue and then Final Fantasy VII, which were where I got into RPGs with enthusiasm AND understanding of what I was supposed to do. Sadly I missed the "classic" era of famous SNES game slike Chrono trigger, Secret of Mana and Tales of Phantasia, which I knew of only through friends who had joined the Nintendo side of the Console War.
    I coveted them greatly until the late 90's when the internet and emulators became a thing, and then Steam and GoG had their own releases which I still dabble with today.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The first RPG I played was Quest 64 on Nintendo 64. Quest 64 was absolutely terrible. I did not try RPGs again until Knights of the Old Republic on Xbox. I enjoyed kotor immensely, moreso for being a Star Wars game than an RPG. I was a Star Wars fiend in late elementary school.

The first RPG I played purely on the merit of being an RPG was TES III: Morrowind in late Middle School. Morrowind was the gateway game that got me into RPGs in general. After 8th Grade I started getting into DnD, Bioware, the other TES games as well as reading a lot more fantasy literature.

Edit: Oh drat, I forgot Paper Mario. I also quite enjoyed Paper Mario on N64. Like Kotor, that game was more appealing as a Mario game than an RPG.
    Last edited by Hagashager; 2020-04-07 at 02:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I'm curious, which one is it?
    Disco Elysium. It's not quite the same, I've yet to come across 12 different options, but it does really well on avoiding the 'but thou must' front, even the few times I've noticed that all the choices move the conversation in the same way they can be noticeably different in how they do it (which plays into the various copotypes and political ideologies that the game tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post
    The first RPG I played purely on the merit of being an RPG was TES III: Morrowind in late Middle School. Morrowind was the gateway game that got me into RPGs in general. After 8th Grade I started getting into DnD, Bioware, the other TES games as well as reading a lot more fantasy literature.
    I'll be honest, Morrowind has always very much been a mixed bag for me. On the one hand I like it, on the other hand the open endedness of it makes me a little bit bored. The main quest just wasn't quite signposted enough, I managed to find myself lost without anywhere to go with a bad build (far too much focus on magic for how I was playing). I enjoyed it more once I learnt how to use the console to give myself some half-decent spells and weapons to start and got more into modding, but I still vastly prefer Oblivion for being a little bit more signposted.

Skyrim on the other hand I dislike for removing the stats, and Oblivion I dislike for how the level scaling requires me to either game the system or avoid levelling up. I eventually settled on 'Oblivion, with tweaked level scaling' as my favourite of the series, but I spend more time these days modding it than playing it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post
    The first RPG I played was Quest 64 on Nintendo 64. Quest 64 was absolutely terrible. I did not try RPGs again until Knights of the Old Republic on Xbox. I enjoyed kotor immensely, moreso for being a Star Wars game than an RPG. I was a Star Wars fiend in late elementary school.

Edit: Oh drat, I forgot Paper Mario. I also quite enjoyed Paper Mario on N64. Like Kotor, that game was more appealing as a Mario game than an RPG.
    Quest 64 was terrible, yes, but I loved it anyways. I never bought it, but i rented it more than a few times.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Summer 1999
    Last edited by jacinda; 2020-04-08 at 12:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I found Dragon Warrior for the NES in 1989 and was hooked. Final Fantasy came a couple of years later and reinforced the obsession. I then got into pen-n-paper roleplaying, and it has been lifelong ever since. But getting back to games, sure Skyrim has some clunky elements, but it is so much improved from Daggerfall...I can only imagine how advanced RPGs will be when I'm stuck in a nursing home 40 years from now...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I think the first RPG I played was either Super Mario RPG or Quest 64. The local video store had SNES games to rent long after* the N64 (and the GameCube for that matter) came out so it is possible I played Quest 64 first. I would say the first one I bought and seriously played on the strength of it being an RPG was Knights of the Old Republic.

*My local video store had tons of SNES and Genesis games. I think they even had regular NES games. I still had (and still have) a functioning SNES so I would rent games there on occasion. I tried to get them to just sell them to me, arguing that they took up a lot of space and have obviously been surpassed because they had PS2 and X-Box games by this point. I even pointed out that they had sold most of their VHS tapes by that point. The response was "Well, people keep renting them". To which I replied, "Yeah, I do." The games were always in so I'm pretty confident I was the only one renting them.

Then one day the person running the store (they were buying the business on contract, so not the actual owner yet) was busted for some kind of drug offenses and the owner came back. Their first move was to sell the games. I found out after most of them were sold. At $3 a piece, with boxes, and often with instructions. I was upset to say the least. Oh well, now I have a SNES Classic that I modified to add several more games so at least I can still play most of them that I wanted to buy.

Edit: As far as non video game RPGs, I only started PnP D&D 4-5 years ago. Before that the closest I came was a few games of Hero Quest. I wish I still had all the parts to that game, or that it wasn't outrageously expensive on the secondary market.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

*EDIT* Hmm saw stopped playing for some reason. Anyways, I think ive been playing rpgs since as long as they have been on consoles. I didnt play the original final fantasies, but I played the original dragon warrior games and started with ff3/6 on super nintendo I think it was. Ive played virtually nothing but rpgs since. Well that and CoD on my computer.
    Last edited by Traab; 2020-04-27 at 08:08 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Tabletop, started on HeroQuest in late 1990, played Rolemaster on Middle-Earth shortly thereafter when I started down the club, then Warhammer 1st ed and a distantly forth being AD&D.

I played HeroQuest briefly on the Atari ST, but I really only began to play computer games as something other than a very occasional toy in the late 90s when we got a PC and then as now, it's RPGs, RTS (well, not so much that now, sadly), strats and sims. My first console was a PS2 which I was old enough to buy myself, just shortly prior to FFX's release (it and the Gamecube I bought second hand specifically and solely for Pokémom Colosseum and Gale of Darkness) remain my own only nonportable consoles, and my portable consoles exist solely for various RPGs.

I have never liked platformers, nor action games ever, only only a very few games have managed to tempt in a direction vagule towards shooters (Voyager Elkite Force, and only because it came with a pack of starship games; C&C Renegade, which I never finished) and Mass Effect 1 through 3. It's touch and go at the moment whether ot not I'll pass on Cyberpunk, to be honest.)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I don't play them much, mostly because video games are where stories go to die and most RPGs tend to emphasize story and deemphasize mechanics.

There have been a few notable exceptions though, where the mechanics were good enough to make up for storytelling that was good for a video game. Notable ones were finding some of Spiderweb Software's works (Geneforge) and Baten Kaitos when I was maybe 12, so that works as a starting age.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #41

My son is 9. Doesn't play RPGs, not yet. I asked him if he wanted to try a new type of game (plus, he's seen me play RPGs). I got him to start Undertale. He was playing it like normal, offing mobs, got to the fight with Toriel, killed her, then felt bad and wanted to restart.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

My first RPG was Dragon Warrior for the NES. If I remember right, I got it free with a subscription to Nintendo Power magazine, but it took me awhile to get into it. It wasn't until I was home sick with chicken pox that I really dove into it.

From there it was a few years until I really started getting into more RPG's. I really ate up Nintendo Power's coverage of Final Fantasy III (well, technically 6, but they hadn't lined up the numbering with the Japanese series yet) and Secret of Mana, but didn't have an SNES yet so I couldn't buy them. The game that really made me an RPG devotee for good was Chrono Trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

13. - Top - End - #43

My first computer RPG was either Eye of the Beholder or Death Knights of Krynn (both from 1991). I played them both around the same time, so I'm not sure which I started first.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Tabletop RPGs... man I don't even know. 6th grade? Earlier?

For video games, the answer's a lot easier. While I tried playing Skyrim back in late middle school/early high school, I got sick of how repetitive it felt (this was console, so no modding either), so the first time I got into RPGs was playing Divinity: Original Sin II over the last two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

My first RPG was when I was around 5-7 probably ('96, '97ish - I played pokemon blue the Christmas it came out ('98) but I think I had played some FF before that) - either an early final fantasy or the first pokemon games. Outside of the JRPGs I was playing on a supernintendo and gameboy though, it was probably when I was about 10 or 11 ('02ish) - The earliest ones I can remember playing are Morrowind and DnD 3.0 to be specific (though 3.5 came out just a few months after I started playing), when a friend got me into both games around the same time (I think he got both for Christmas or a birthday or something).

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #46

Flumph

7 years old in 1981, played a game run by a friend from school. Read through his older brother's 1st Ed AD&D Player's Handbook when I learned he wanted to play then was surprised to find out instead of starting at 1st level all the players started as high level Fighter-Mages who could cast any spell in the book and had their own personal Platinum Dragon to ride (apparently he had yet to learn about power creep). He supposedly ran Queen of the Demonweb Pits, though when I read the module myself years later none of it matched the adventure he put us through.

Shortly afterwards my older cousins invited me to play in their games and I was hooked. By age 9 I had bought the Basic and Expert D&D sets (The Tom Moldvay editions, still have them even though they are very worn) and was writing my own adventures.

1st CRPG I played was Wizardry I think shortly after it came out (played one of my cousin's copies). First one I owned was Ultima III a few years later.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-05-30 at 02:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Eye of the Behoder, age 8 or 9.

My father's colleague played it at work on his work PC. I was mesmerized. He showed me the ropes, I got killed in 15 seconds.

I enjoyed it immensely, but fell in love with EoB 2...

Tabletop?

My roommate had his own book of Draci Doupe (DnD's local cousin), but we never played (I only read it like 100 times). Once a friend of mine called me asking if I knew the game - and invited us both to local christian club to play.

Two weeks later, we were thrown out, but we continued to play. Our DM stayed behind, so I took the reins.

We went from Draci Doupe to Genesis Excogitatus (again, locally brewed RPG rules), from Genesis to Shadowrun, from Shadowrun to short flirt with DnD 3.5e and then to Riddle of Steel.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2020-06-23 at 08:08 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Tabletop RPGs... man I don't even know. 6th grade? Earlier?

For video games, the answer's a lot easier. While I tried playing Skyrim back in late middle school/early high school, I got sick of how repetitive it felt (this was console, so no modding either), so the first time I got into RPGs was playing Divinity: Original Sin II over the last two years.
    For a similar style, you should check out the oldschool Planescape: Torment game. It was made in the 90s, and it still holds up. A lot of modern games of that style have better combat (few games actually knew how to make action good in the 90s), but the writing is still something that hasn't been matched.

Disco Elysium is the only contender I've ever heard of that comes close. Even P:T's antecessor, Torment: Tides of Numenera, doesn't quite compete with P:T's writing. You can play through most of the game by manipulating people out of fighting you...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Even the final boss

The game rewards it, too. You'll often get more experience and more help from NPCs by finding ways to solve your problems without violence. Allies can turn on you at plot points, your personality can change based on your actions, it was way ahead of its time.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-06-23 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

I was 6 years old I believe(maybe 7, but no older than that). Dragon Warrior for the NES was my first rpg I ever played, and I loved it. That was 32 years ago and I'm still playing RPGs :). Actually just finished up a retro one, Cthulhu saves the World! It was quite fun, though not terribly challenging. Actually started a 2nd playthrough with one of the bonus modes where you don't actually play with Cthulhu, but instead save the world in his place with an all-female party ^^.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2020-06-23 at 10:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I was 6 years old I believe(maybe 7, but no older than that). Dragon Warrior for the NES was my first rpg I ever played, and I loved it. That was 32 years ago and I'm still playing RPGs :). Actually just finished up a retro one, Cthulhu saves the World! It was quite fun, though not terribly challenging. Actually started a 2nd playthrough with one of the bonus modes where you don't actually play with Cthulhu, but instead save the world in his place with an all-female party ^^.
    Oh yeah! I love that game.

It also has (is getting?) a sequel.

And the same company made a couple other games. I enjoyed them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground

My first rpg ever was Pokemon on the original gameboy. im at least that old lol but i honestly dont think i really got into rpgs until i played God of War on ps2. Taking on the role of Kratos was a blast!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Does Wizardry count?

I mean, the original 1981 version for the Apple II.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Does Wizardry count?

I mean, the original 1981 version for the Apple II.
    Absolutely!

I only played Wizardry IV on NES (I think it was IV...). Played the heck out of it. I should actually beat it at some point >.>

I shouldn't say "only." I also played the one where you play as Werdna, start at the bottom and work your way up. Again, didn't beat it.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #54
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Absolutely!

I only played Wizardry IV on NES (I think it was IV...). Played the heck out of it. I should actually beat it at some point >.>

I shouldn't say "only." I also played the one where you play as Werdna, start at the bottom and work your way up. Again, didn't beat it.
    Probably V, not IV. IV was "Return of Wernda", where you start at the bottom of a dungeon and have to summon monsters to protect yourself. V was "Heart of the Malestrom", and essentially Wizardry I, but updated.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Probably V, not IV. IV was "Return of Wernda", where you start at the bottom of a dungeon and have to summon monsters to protect yourself. V was "Heart of the Malestrom", and essentially Wizardry I, but updated.
    Thanks!

Man, I botched that one.

So I played Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. Apparently it's a remake of the original. Remake as in... the NES version looks way better than the 1981 version.

And yup, played IV.

Man, I feel like I'm missing out. Should do that series start to end.

Maybe when I retire in 18 years >.>
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Thanks!

Man, I botched that one.

So I played Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. Apparently it's a remake of the original. Remake as in... the NES version looks way better than the 1981 version.

And yup, played IV.

Man, I feel like I'm missing out. Should do that series start to end.

Maybe when I retire in 18 years >.>
    Yeah, Wizardry I for the NES was pretty cool, and Wizardry V was even better IMO. I do have the entire Wizardry collection in PC thanks to GoG.com, plus the game they released for the PS2 in America. Never managed to finish any of them, mostly because enemy Ninjas are scary as heck.

Also, remember: TREBOR SUX.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Not sure, but judging by the release dates of the three games that might have been my first RPGs, seems like it was probably the late 90s or the year 2000, which would've made me a pre-teen at the time. Those three games being Quest 64, Ogre Battle 64, and the GBC release of Dragon Quest 1-2 (then known as Dragon Warrior in the US for copyright reasons).

Quest 64 is probably actually the one I played first, since it released two years before the others, but I can't honestly be completely sure about that. It's fairly famously bad, but at the time I liked it - it let me play as a wizard and kill monsters with spells, and could be broken clean in half by focusing on the right elements, so that was fun to me at the time. Heck, I could still play it years later and enjoy it despite its many flaws, just out of nostalgia.

Ogre Battle 64 is a bit of an oddball, but you could call it a tactical RPG of sorts, and I certainly played the hell out of it back then. I enjoyed coming up with different unit compositions and seeing how strong they'd be, especially ones involving the game's various monsters or special classes.
    Amusingly Quest 64 and Ogre battle 64 would be the first rpgs for me as well. The N64 had a complete lack of them and prior to that I mostly played platformers and adventure games on genesis and the original NES. The few computer games i had were space sims and turn based strategy games. It wasnt until college that I really started into RPGs when I got my hands on Baldurs Gate followed by pretty much all of the rest of the infinity engine games, then diablo 1 &2 and finally the original fallouts. After that my descent into being an RPG fan was complete.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Yeah, Wizardry I for the NES was pretty cool, and Wizardry V was even better IMO. I do have the entire Wizardry collection in PC thanks to GoG.com, plus the game they released for the PS2 in America. Never managed to finish any of them, mostly because enemy Ninjas are scary as heck.
    Eh, not that bad. If you have a balanced party.

Also, remember: TREBOR SUX.
    Almost as important: Contra-dextra avenue.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Eh, not that bad. If you have a balanced party.
    Lord (with Priest levels), Samurai (with Mage levels), Ninja, Thief and two Bishops? That should be enough Tiltowait for the tougher battles, methinks.

Almost as important: Contra-dextra avenue.
    True. Very true.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.