Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (PTU, Discord) Atmospheric Pokémon Nature Study/Exploration

Here is John Renning, the Steel Bulwark!. He is a Fortress, Steelheart, and Steel Ace. Let me know if the fluff is not what you pictured with background about the KSS. I'm still working on some parts of the backstory but that's it for the most part.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GameOfChampions View Post
    Here is John Renning, the Steel Bulwark!. He is a Fortress, Steelheart, and Steel Ace. Let me know if the fluff is not what you pictured with background about the KSS. I'm still working on some parts of the backstory but that's it for the most part.
    The foundation and content of the backstory are fine, but one detail makes me think I might've failed to make the premise of the game clear enough. You mentioned your character's mentor having a Metagross and Aggron, and that's not possible, since Unova only has Unova Pokémon. No Pokémon outside the original Unova regional Dex from Black & White are known to the people living in Unova at this point. Pokémon from other regions will only become known to the people of Unova if you discover them in this new land the party will be sailing to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Ask the forums for ideas. Sometimes, something clever will result, in spite of our best efforts.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMWallace View Post
    The foundation and content of the backstory are fine, but one detail makes me think I might've failed to make the premise of the game clear enough. You mentioned your character's mentor having a Metagross and Aggron, and that's not possible, since Unova only has Unova Pokémon. No Pokémon outside the original Unova regional Dex from Black & White are known to the people living in Unova at this point. Pokémon from other regions will only become known to the people of Unova if you discover them in this new land the party will be sailing to.
    Yep thats my bad. Changed the Pokemon to a Ferrothorn, Bisharp, and a Klinklang.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Super interested! I think I'd like to play a "royal" sort of character, either someone from the KSS or, if it's allowed, possibly a child of one of the twins, like that incognito prince/princess you mentioned... Could you PM me some info about the twins? As long as the idea is okay, of course!
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Here is the first part of Aldir Wood, the Walking Voice of Landorus. Combining Survivalist, Oracle and Channeler, he can speak to Pokemon, survive in the wilderness and even see into the future. I am working on the details and will update when it's done.
    Last edited by +5 Vorpal Bunny; 2020-04-09 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Editted for public access

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    Super interested! I think I'd like to play a "royal" sort of character, either someone from the KSS or, if it's allowed, possibly a child of one of the twins, like that incognito prince/princess you mentioned... Could you PM me some info about the twins? As long as the idea is okay, of course!
    A child of the twins is totally appropriate, they're in their forties by now so they'd certainly have kids. But I'm not really sure what info you're hoping for me to provide that I haven't already. Like just the kind of people they are in person, or what?
    Last edited by SMWallace; 2020-03-29 at 03:37 PM.
    Ask the forums for ideas. Sometimes, something clever will result, in spite of our best efforts.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMWallace View Post
    A child of the twins is totally appropriate, they're in their forties by now so they'd certainly have kids. But I'm not really sure what info you're hoping for me to provide that I haven't already. Like just the kind of people they are in person, or what?
    Basically, yes! Their personalities, names, things like that.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm gonna throw in interest if there's still time.

Also, are we using the BW1 regional dex or BW2's? Because there were some non-Unova pokémon that were native in BW2 IIRC

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Basically, yes! Their personalities, names, things like that.
    Well, I only have their personalities down so far as how the concept they're committed to has twisted them into the kinds of people who would end up leading this war over control of the continent. Aside from that it's kind of your call if you want to give them extra personality traits or whatnot that help shape the backstory you'd like to have.

The Overlord of Truth believes that most evil is caused by the unjust circumstances of the natural world, such as resource inequality, and wants to maximize social organization and resource exploitation (with Pokémon being treated as a resource in this case) to provide for everyone's needs. However, the same facet of himself that makes him so sympathetic to those shunned in most cultures makes him highly critical of people who claim higher ideals. He considers the concept of heroism and the fight against individual proclaimed evils to be something the well-off use to try and justify their position of privilege without actually addressing the root causes of others' suffering, especially when the people they paint as the cause of injustice are in fact reacting to being the victims of it (such as those who steal because they are too poor or outcasted to survive any other way). As such he believes that relying on people to make different choices as individuals will never change the world, and instead fights to impose a different system on people that will bring out the best in everyone and contribute to the most positive life outcomes. To this end he is willing to bring ruin and destruction upon any who claim to be opposing his conquest for moral reasons. Though he is himself compassionate to individuals under his rule, he does not consider people more or less deserving of mercy based on the moral character of their life's works, and thus will kill the greatest hero as willingly as he would the cruelest sadist if they cannot be swayed to pursue his vision of a just world. In his personal life he is passionate yet polite, tempering the fires of determination with measured restraint. He is an efficient man who disregards most creature comforts and personal friendships in favor of devoting himself to the stability of his growing kingdom and in generating new technology for the war effort. As he's growing older, however, he's begun turning his focus towards passing on his skills and philosophy to the next generation in hopes that the mission will continue in the event of his death.

The Champion of Ideals is in almost every respect the Overlord's opposite. He believes that most people in the world are inherently good, and that most suffering is the result of discrete evil actors or good people being led astray by them. As such, his way of improving the world is personal. He's the archetypal anime hero, a bleeding heart who helps everyone he sees struggling, attempts to mend the strained relationships between people and one another as well as between people and Pokémon, and when he finds people committing wrongs he defeats them and attempts to either convince them to see the error of their ways or brings them to justice. He believes that the people he helps will naturally go on to help others, and indeed he has built up a huge network of allies everywhere he goes through his charisma and his appeals to people's good nature. While he does seek to help people with natural issues as well, such as using Zekrom's power over weather to bring rain to those in drought, he refuses to accept hardship as an excuse to prey upon others who are also suffering, and instead preaches a philosophy of drawing strength and empathy from your experiences of the world's unfairness to support those who face the same challenges. He believes that a better world can be changed by helping people discover the good in themselves, so that those people will share it with others and fight the evil of the world, and eventually all evil can be defeated. For this reason he opposes the way the other nations impose their visions of systemic justice onto people, believing it does more to dampen the spirit of good and to build resentment than it does to prevent evil. In his personal life he appears jovial and carefree, less because he truly is those things and more because he believes putting on a happy face will help him spread happiness to as many people as possible. He is social, active, emotional, and disinterested in the governance of the nation on a broad level, instead being a sovereign in name only and leaving local people to govern themselves while he and his companions spread guerilla heroism around the world. He is often reckless and at times inconsiderate, buoyed by the belief that Zekrom's power shields him and its loyalty confirms the rightness of his path.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGod View Post
    I'm gonna throw in interest if there's still time.

Also, are we using the BW1 regional dex or BW2's? Because there were some non-Unova pokémon that were native in BW2 IIRC
    BW1 regional dex only. No other Pokémon are native to this version of Unova.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you so much for the info! The current concept I'm running with is a son of one of the twins, haven't decided which, but likely the Overlord. I think he's going to be looking to get out from under his father's shadow, and to perhaps bond with a legendary pokemon of his own. To that end, I was wondering if it would be allowed for him to be having dreams from a legendary pokemon, presumably Darkrai, though of course he wouldn't know that. But he would have been having these strange an vague dreams calling him to the new land with his Munna.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Thank you so much for the info! The current concept I'm running with is a son of one of the twins, haven't decided which, but likely the Overlord. I think he's going to be looking to get out from under his father's shadow, and to perhaps bond with a legendary pokemon of his own. To that end, I was wondering if it would be allowed for him to be having dreams from a legendary pokemon, presumably Darkrai, though of course he wouldn't know that. But he would have been having these strange an vague dreams calling him to the new land with his Munna.
    I absolutely won't cosign anything like a legendary Pokémon specifically reaching out to you from across the ocean as someone it wants to bond with. That's not appropriate to the tone and vision I have for this setting. Sorry. But I promise I can still do something interesting with the "mysterious dreams about the unexplored land" hook!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Here is Ilia, Girl of the Forest for your consideration.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

What kind of start date/ end of recruitment date are we looking at here?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah a bit late, but posting interest. I'll whip up a sheet
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you allowed to take Elemental Connection more than once? I was hoping to Take elemental connection (Darkness) to get shade caller. Trying to go for a character that's focused on going REALLY fast and skirmisher isn't doing it for me as a secondary class. (Main class is spark master)

Also anyone want to set up char relations?
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    Are you allowed to take Elemental Connection more than once? I was hoping to Take elemental connection (Darkness) to get shade caller. Trying to go for a character that's focused on going REALLY fast and skirmisher isn't doing it for me as a secondary class. (Main class is spark master)

Also anyone want to set up char relations?
    No. Any edge that does not specify that you can take it more than once is not allowed to be taken more than once. Especially Elemental Connection, since allowing multiple Elementalists would be ridiculously potent.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-04-02 at 08:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

A shame. Thank you!
    Games that I am in

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Anybody who hasn't finished their character has the rest of the weekend to do so. I'll be doing selections at some point on Monday.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (Closing April 6) (PTU, Discord) Atmospheric Pokémon Nature Study/Exploration

Char's done Crunch-wise, Just gotta fluff the boyo up! If someone could check the crunch, it'd be much appreciated!

Just realised I never posted the link haha. Fluffed it up a tiny bit too, but I've got a sample and such to write up as well in there. Bit of a military kid, but with a sense of humor beyond it. Is it okay if I assume the Electra Army has a scouts corp? With my chars speed focus, I made him be part of it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Xenopax; 2020-04-04 at 03:10 AM.
    Games that I am in

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: (Closing April 6) (PTU, Discord) Atmospheric Pokémon Nature Study/Exploration

Quote Originally Posted by Arayl View Post
    Here is Ilia, Girl of the Forest for your consideration.
    I acknowledge this is a totally irrelevant detail to focus on, but I got a full-on Psyduck face complete with floating question marks over this girl's height being listed at 4'11 and then her description calling her tall, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    Char's done Crunch-wise, Just gotta fluff the boyo up! If someone could check the crunch, it'd be much appreciated!

Just realised I never posted the link haha. Fluffed it up a tiny bit too, but I've got a sample and such to write up as well in there. Bit of a military kid, but with a sense of humor beyond it. Is it okay if I assume the Electra Army has a scouts corp? With my chars speed focus, I made him be part of it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Electra doesn't exactly have a traditional hierarchical military the way other nations do. The Champion is all about individuality and inspiring people to choose good deeds for themselves, so they're a little less like an army and a little more like a nationwide heroes' guild. That said, scouts are absolutely useful to that regardless.

Your character will need to at least be tactful about his motivations and outright secretive about his status if you're going that route, though, since they very much don't want soldiers going on this mission (one reason among many that they're recruiting people so young). It's not unexpected for the people here to love their country of origin, of course, but that's a whole separate issue from "I am a soldier who follows orders from this government and my loyalties thereof will take precedence over the good of the expedition."

None of that is to say you aren't allowed to play a character who's plotting to use the expedition for the benefit of his own country. Hell, there will probably be NPCs trying to do that, it's totally fine and legitimate and even kind of awesome, like maybe the Champion gives you a top-secret mission to infiltrate the expedition since you're so young that nobody will expect you're secretly a soldier, or something like that. I'm just giving fair warning that he'll need to be tight-lipped about it for one reason or another because nobody's gonna want him there if they're worried he's going to use this to advance Electra's war interests. (One because it could lead to infighting with those who aren't from Electra, and two because if any of the other nations find out Electra is doing so then they're gonna want to and it'll devolve back into the factions warring over who can colonize the new land first.) Hope that makes sense?

Mechanically I can't see any problems on a cursory scan.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah Thank you so much. Changed it so he comes from a line of warriors who were part of an adventuring company! And I was thinking that despite his Military background, his aim here is to discover new things and make diplomatic ties/friendships with the people from the other countries who're coming with him.

I do like the idea of a secret infiltrator though....Can I have your discord ID so I can talk more about it? I hate PMing people on the server.
    Games that I am in

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Soraya Silversmith

Here's the sheet, before I forget or miss the deadline
    I really wanted the Hydreigon line but couldn't justify to myself a pseudo-legendary starter nor one that'd take so long to evolve. Damn again, Litwick is cool too

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

First, for everyone still hoping to submit: I'm doing selections when I wake up tomorrow! That means you have about twelve hours to get in your character sheets if you haven't already. It could be longer if I sleep in, but don't rely on that.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGod View Post
    Soraya Silversmith

Here's the sheet, before I forget or miss the deadline
    I really wanted the Hydreigon line but couldn't justify to myself a pseudo-legendary starter nor one that'd take so long to evolve. Damn again, Litwick is cool too
    The Hydreigon line is totally allowed! Normally people making pseudolegendaries their starter is off-limit but since it'll be the only Unova Pokémon available I want people to be able to pick their favorites. That evolution level is there to stay though so still a valid reason to go for something else so you aren't struggling to ever evolve your starter, haha.

This is a good time to bring up the fact that Ghost-types in this setting are by and large actual ghosts, so your Litwick might well be a Pokémon your family had before that your character was close with, then after it died appeared as a Litwick while you were mourning at its own funeral. If you think that'd be an enjoyable human-Pokémon dynamic to you.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Alright, selections are as follows:

Constantina, played by Hazuki

John, played by GameOfChampions

Damien, played by Xenopax

Soraya, played by DukeGod

DukeGod and GameOfChampions, if it doesn't interfere with your concepts too much I'd appreciate you reducing your character ages to fit the 10-17 guidelines, but it isn't mandatory, your characters will just be the only adult Pokémon tamers on the expedition so I hope you don't feel out of place.

Thanks to everyone else who submitted sheets, and feel free to join the Discord server if you want to watch and do commentary!

Server link: https://discord.gg/AFQAfCr