Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default [Cypher] Unmasked

In Unmasked, you play high school teenagers who are somehow different in 1986. It uses Monte CooK Cypher systems, a very simple and easy to use system with difficulties rated from 1 to 10, effort, skills and assets reduce difficulties and roll a d20 to determine success and failure.

You have two base forms, a teen form and a mask form.

The teen form is the normal average teenager from 1986 but when you put on a special mask, you transform into your mask form. The mask form can be anything that you can imagine.
    Mask forms can be aliens, wizards from your favorite media or even impossible forms like intelligent version of the color yellow in 2D.

Cyphers in Unmasked are called "Mementos" and only prodigies (people with mask) can see and operate them. They know how it works just by touching it.

Every mask is made by the teenager by assembling multiple mementos.

Where?

Boundary Bay, a small town on the northern shores of Long Island, New York. It's the first day of school at Ocean View High School in 1986, something happened in Summer (August 22) and some teens are changed but they don't know why, they can notice other teen glowing as prodigies like them. One of the mysteries, of the setting is what are masks? where do they come from?

The tone is Superpowered Surreal Horror. Trying to share your identity and powers with people put your character in a great feeling of horror and dread. You will be able to share the information if you wish to NPCs and others but, your mask gives you the feeling that you shouldn't share it all the time.

Allowed Content: Cypher System Rulebook (2019 edition, also called revised edition) or Cypher System Rulebook original edition (please note if you are using the original edition), Expanded Worlds, Unmasked.

Character Creation:

-Your Teen/Prodigy has a pool of 6 in Speed, Might and Intellect. You have 2 additional points that you can assign to any pool however you like. Pick up a descriptor and that's it for your teen. You get to pick three skills. Reminder as a teenager, it's unlikely you will have an useful skill beside the ones to make you cooler to your friends. Beside the skills listed in the books you might want to consider:

Arcade games
    Break dancing
    Comic books
    Computers
    Cutting class
    Drinking
    Gossip
    Graffiti
    Insults
    Kissing up
    Mooching
    School bureaucracy
    Skateboarding
    Telling them what they want to hear

-Make a background connection to the main story: either roll 1d100, pick from the list in Unmasked on p. 28 or make up your own connection.

-Your Mask form, Select one of the four types from Unmasked (Smasher, Thinker, Mover and Changer), the type will give you your base stat pools in Mask form and additional points for the pools. Note that you don't need to follow your teen persona for your mask form, a jock could transform into a thinker mask form for example.

-Pick a focus. You are encouraged to reskin the abilities like how hedge magic can be used to described ghosts or small animated toys.

If you have never played or are new to the Cypher System, I can simply guide you for character creation, as long as you present your character idea/concept.
    Last edited by VanceSaga; 2020-03-26 at 09:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [Cypher] Unmasked

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    Interested, but I'll have to see if the thread picks up before I invest in it!
    I can see why. I'll leave this thread up until the 31st. If no interest, will just cancel the project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Never played before but I was wondering if I could play a the stoner. The guy who skip class to smoke with the other bad kids and the high school connect for drugs. And my mask I was thinking speedster. This system is new to me so help would be awesome.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Talespin79 View Post
    Never played before but I was wondering if I could play a the stoner. The guy who skip class to smoke with the other bad kids and the high school connect for drugs. And my mask I was thinking speedster. This system is new to me so help would be awesome.
    It's possible but let's talk a little more about your concept:

Alright you want to be a stoner hanging out with the bad kids.

How would you describe your character in one word? That's your descriptor.

Unmasked has some new descriptors for characters: Metal Head, New-Wave, Punk and Show-Off. But these descriptors are far from being the only ones that you can pick, other descriptors includes Appealing, Fast, Mechanical etc...

Essentially try to think of your teen overall, what is your character approach to things?

Friends with the bad kids, most of the bad kids are part of the cool kids, so something to consider if you want your character to be a "cool kid" or you want to be part of the "losers".

Hal Walmer is a 17 years old senior, son of the Police Chief and part of the cool kids and he is the top of the bully/cool kids troublemaker in Ocean View High School.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Is "connected" a good word want to be part of the cool kids. The guy everyone goes to for things they can't normally get

7. - Top - End - #7

Is "connected" a good word want to be part of the cool kids. The guy everyone goes to for things they can't normally get
    Yeah your descriptor at least, closest to what you are going for: Charmed, it makes you good at all social interactions and on top of it, you have a contact details to be worked on, but essentially your contact is important and in an influential position.

So now think of three skills your character want to be good at.

After that, we will talk about your Mask.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hm, I would be interested. I have the book for the new Cypher system (the red one, isn't it?) but had not read it yet. I have some idea of how mechanics and creating a character works in this system, even if brief.

I'm thinking of a son of Japanese immigrants into the US who transform into a samurai as his superpowered self. He would be a thinker who changes into a muscle-oriented person, I think. As for his skills, hm... comic books, computers and writing, maybe?

Please, tell me what you think of the concept, okay? ;-)

EDIT: Ooooooh! :3 It turns out I also have the Unmasked book :3 Cool :3

But still, I believe I would require some help with setting up the character... ;-)
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2020-03-29 at 12:38 PM.
    LGBTitP, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter
    My long singature

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    Hm, I would be interested. I have the book for the new CYpher system (the red one, isn't it?) but had not read it yet. I have some idea of how mechanics and creating a character works in this system, even if brief.

I'm thinking of a son of Japanese immigrants into the US who transform into a samurai as his superpowered self. He would be a thinker who changes into a muscle-oriented person, I think. As for his skills, hm... comic books, computers and writing, maybe?

Please, tell me what you think of the concept, okay? ;-)
    It's good, smasher, thinker... are the types (essentially describing the mask-form) for a descriptor, you many ways to go about a thinker like teen, from mechanical to just being very smart.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ok cool I was thinking three high school shills "drinking/drugging, telling them what they want to hear, and gossip

11. - Top - End - #11

Actually, by a "thinker" I meant "he is a thinker as a person" not as a type xD Sorry if I have confused you. The descriptor for teen form is Learned :-)

And I think I really would need some help with the character. Actually... I have begun working on the mechanics xD And I see there are some things I do not comprehend :-P

But that obviously after the 31 and when we will know how many players are there :-) I just... sometimes I like to create a character sheet just to create it? xD
    My long singature

12. - Top - End - #12

Ok cool I was thinking three high school shills "drinking/drugging, telling them what they want to hear, and gossip
    Alright, can work with that, so tell me more about your speedster mask form. Like do you just want to run fast?

Actually, by a "thinker" I meant "he is a thinker as a person" not as a type xD Sorry if I have confused you. The descriptor for teen form is Learned :-)

And I think I really would need some help with the character. Actually... I have begun working on the mechanics xD And I see there are some things I do not comprehend :-P

But that obviously after the 31 and when we will know how many players are there :-) I just... sometimes I like to create a character sheet just to create it? xD

Yeah can help, just ask.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

So for my mask I say speedster but really I want to slow down time around me so I seem to move fast. I was also thinking being able to freeze people and things in time i want my theme to be time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Got a bunch of ideas in my mind at the minute.

Main concept is a popular/pretty girl changer. I'm between Descends From Royalty and Wants To Be Adored depending on whether my mask is a grown and idealised (so much so that she's barely recognisable) version of my teen...

Or some unpopular nerd who turns into a massive wolf/bear/tiger and smashes things... That's a fun option.

Spoiler: Character
    Show

Spoiler: Teen
    Show

Charming Tiana Dixon

Might: Pool - 6
    Speed: Pool - 6
    Intellect: Pool - 10

Skills:
    Trained in all tasks involving positive or pleasant social interaction.
    Trained when using special abilities that influence the minds of others.
    Trained in Gossip.
    Trained in Pandering/Telling people what they want.
    Trained in Insults.

Contact: You have an important contact who is in an influential position. You and the GM should work out the details together.

Inabilities:
    The difficulty of any task involving lore, knowledge, or understanding is increased by one step.
    Whenever you try to resist a mental attack, the difficulty is increased by one step.

Additional Equipment: You have enough cash jangling in your pocket to purchase a moderately priced item.

Initial Link to the Starting Adventure: You instigated the whole thing and convinced the others to join you.

Tiana's Mask:
    Fashioned from her mother's most expensive scarf, her brother's prized leather jacket and a strange cluster of rhinestones that she had found on the streets.

Spoiler: Masked
    Show

Polestar, An Empathic Changer Who Wants To Be Adored

Might: Pool 9:
    Speed: Pool - 10
    Intellect: Pool - 19 ; Edge 1

Effort: 1

Skills: Trained in tasks involving sensing others emotions, discerning dispositions, and getting a hunch about people around you.
    Skill: Trained in all tasks involving social interaction.
    Inability: Being so receptive to others’ thoughts and moods makes you vulnerable to anything that attacks your mind. The difficulty of Intellect defense rolls is increased by one step

Abilities:

Momento Use
    Prodigy Sight

Tier One Type Powers:

Practiced with Light Weapons
    Enthrall (1 Intellect Point) -
    Fast Talk (1 Intellect Point)
    Encouragement (1 Intellect Point)
    Terrifying Presence (2+ Intellect Points)

Focus Powers:

Stink Eye (1 Intellect Point) - I wasn't talking to you, That was dumb, Hush your mouth.

Power Shifts:

Starting Equipment: Flint-Knapped Knife, [plus two expensive items], [two moderately priced items], and up to [four inexpensive items.] (if following Speaker rules)

So, power shifts unassigned and items yet to be picked, I'm planning on writing some fluff tomorrow after work (I'm unsure on the number of items I have/what items are actually a thing) so uh... Have I messed up yet?

15. - Top - End - #15

So for my mask I say speedster but really I want to slow down time around me so I seem to move fast. I was also thinking being able to freeze people and things in time i want my theme to be time.
    Okay, got a good idea on how to do it.

Travels through time will be your focus.

And at the last step, we will use your 3 power shifts for speed freak.

I'll assemble the character a bit later.

Got a bunch of ideas in my mind at the minute.

Main concept is a popular/pretty girl changer. I'm between Descends From Royalty and Wants To Be Adored depending on whether my mask is a grown and idealised (so much so that she's barely recognisable) version of my teen...

Or some unpopular nerd who turns into a massive wolf/bear/tiger and smashes things... That's a fun option.
    Both ideas work of course.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Thank you that sounds awesome super excited to play and learn the system

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

For some reason I decided to edit my last post with my first character draft, just wanted to make sure it was noticed!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

For my contact can I be the son of the local crime boss. You know the leader of the crew.

19. - Top - End - #19

Thank you that sounds awesome super excited to play and learn the system
    Charming [Name] (Teen form)

Might 6
    Speed 8
    Intellect 8

Skills:

-Trained in all positive or pleasant social interactions
    -Trained in Alcoholic Drinking or taking drugs.
    -Trained in Persuasion
    -Trained in Gossip

Contact (Work in Progress)

Inability:
    Lore, Knowledge and Understanding
    Defense action to resist mental attacks

Equipment: A moderate expensive item (on teen)

(Mask Form) Mover Who Travels Through Time

Might 10 | Edge 1
    Speed 15 |Edge 1
    Intellect 9 |Edge 0

Cypher(Mementos): 2

Starting Equipment: appropriate clothing + a weapon of your choice, plus two expensive items, two moderately priced items, and up to four inexpensive items.

Abilities:

Prodigy Sight
    Practiced with Light and Medium Weapons
    Fleet of Foot (1+ Speed points)
    Improved Edge (Speed)
    Danger Sense (1 Speed point): Ease Initiative task. Enabler.
    Surging Confidence (1 Might point) When you use an action to make your first recovery roll of the day, you immediately gain another action. Enabler

Anticipation (1 Intellect point): You look ahead to see how your actions might unfold. The first task you perform before the end of the next round gains an asset. Action.

Inability: Heavy Weapons

Power Shifts: Speed Freak (Power Shifted +3): Boost all movement, running, jumping and climbing in mask form.

You can describe your equipment using the starting equipment example for your mask form.

20. - Top - End - #20

For some reason I decided to edit my last post with my first character draft, just wanted to make sure it was noticed!
    Yeah just saw it, for the mask form something to consider as well, in general you want to hide your real identity to non-prodigies (mostly a need of the mask too) so the transformation tend to be different/weird.

21. - Top - End - #21

Okay, a link to my character sheet on GDocs:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I have no idea what power shift is and how to use that. Otherwise, I have nailed it, I believe :-P
    My long singature

22. - Top - End - #22

Okay, a link to my character sheet on GDocs:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I have no idea what power shift is and how to use that. Otherwise, I have nailed it, I believe :-P
    Looking good, still need to choose equipment, for obvious reasons weapons and armor should go to your mask form.

A power shift permanently lowers the difficulty of all actions covered by the ability it is assigned to by one step and does not count toward maximum Effort use.

You start with 3 power shifts. As your pc rises in tiers, you will get two more power shifts (some of them are limited by type). The power shifts have to be related to your mask form. It is possible to put all power shifts on a single task/ability (so 5 power shifts total at the very end).

Unmasked has some example of power shifts on p. 63 and p. 64 which should covers most people.

Assuming you want to go with a typical samurai style for the mask: You could pick up the accuracy power shifts 3 times, so anytime you make an attack roll, it will lower the difficulty by three steps, representing how hard it is for your character to miss.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hm... maybe I will take 1 Healing (so my character is kind of resilient?) and 2 Accuracy? What do you think?
    My long singature

24. - Top - End - #24

Hm... maybe I will take 1 Healing (so my character is kind of resilient?) and 2 Accuracy? What do you think?
    I think, it's all good.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pretty unsure as to what I should be touching regarding shifts. Endlessly buffing my social interactions feels cheesy, but probably easier than trying to work out some other stuff. Alternately, I might just dump all my shifts into intellect...

Any ideas?

26. - Top - End - #26

Hm... what about the equipment? I think I would like full-body Japanese mediaval armor and a katana. Can I get them somehow?

[I believe it would be like, super expensive even nowadays for an adult person, so it raises question how teen got hold of such items... plus aren't there laws banning weapons? I know that guns are legal in the US, but what about swords? Plus the items probably got from Japan, so there are also customs playing a role...?

Or maybe it is more comic-book style setting and we should not worry over that?]
    My long singature

27. - Top - End - #27

Pretty unsure as to what I should be touching regarding shifts. Endlessly buffing my social interactions feels cheesy, but probably easier than trying to work out some other stuff. Alternately, I might just dump all my shifts into intellect...

Any ideas?
    You can be very good at something but reminder that shifts is only for the mask form. The teen is pretty much normal.

Hm... what about the equipment? I think I would like full-body Japanese mediaval armor and a katana. Can I get them somehow?

[I believe it would be like, super expensive even nowadays for an adult person, so it raises question how teen got hold of such items... plus aren't there laws banning weapons? I know that guns are legal in the US, but what about swords? Plus the items probably got from Japan, so there are also customs playing a role...?

Or maybe it is more comic-book style setting and we should not worry over that?]
    Mask form in case of, if not very clear it's a full on transformation. You put on the mask and you transform into something else: Like for example if you put on the mask, you transform into a samurai wearing a red armor and a katana. Some other transformations might include transforming into a demon, a being of flames, someone made of water,

Your chosen type, tells you about your starting equipment smasher uses warrior for example, warrior starts with two weapons of your choice so one of them could be your katana (most likely medium weapon) unless you want it to be a big katana , could be an heavy weapon.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Temped to take a Weakness in Might for another Edge in Intellect if that's an option available to us.

Could I possibly dip into flavours, particularly a magic flavour or however this would work in Unmasked? I find that a lot of the Speaker/Changer abilities come across as just very samey yet different ways to achieve a similar goal.

Having a bit of Magic flavour would allow for more information gathering things like Premonition, which might be useful for exposition potentially.

29. - Top - End - #29

Mask form in case of, if not very clear it's a full on transformation. You put on the mask and you transform into something else: Like for example if you put on the mask, you transform into a samurai wearing a red armor and a katana. Some other transformations might include transforming into a demon, a being of flames, someone made of water,

Your chosen type, tells you about your starting equipment smasher uses warrior for example, warrior starts with two weapons of your choice so one of them could be your katana (most likely medium weapon) unless you want it to be a big katana , could be an heavy weapon.
    Ah, so the equipment is included, right? Hm... maybe two katanas, one in each hand? xD Or maybe a katana and a wakizashi? :D

And armor is included too?
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2020-03-30 at 12:25 PM.
    My long singature

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Did you see my post about my connection?
    As for equipment I was thinking a short sword or katana and them maybe throwing knives or brass knuckles.
    As for armor I want it to be light and sleek I think.