Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Eldritch Horror (Homebrew Campaign)

Hey all. Looking for up to 4 interested players to play multiple Eldritch Horror games. I've written a full-blown story campaign mode where you and a team of other investigators go toe to toe with 8 Ancient Ones. I've written an entire package of rules, interactions, background, and special scenarios as the players progress through the story. These packages will be (mostly, save spoilery stuff) shared with interested players so that they are aware of the mechanics that I'll be adding to the games.

Based on my current timeframe of how long I expect games to last, and how many games need to be played, I expect the campaign to go anywhere between 2-4 months.

(Possibly longer. I'm working on expanding the mode to cover every Ancient One even as I'm writing this, but right now, this campaign only covers the first 8 gods, and we can discuss extending this if everyone's up for it)

As this has the same commitment as a DnD campaign, please participate often. In case you don't know, games of Eldritch Horror run really, REALLY long even when everyone is present. If you want to be part of this, please commit. We don't need to be meeting every hour of every day, but it's my hope that any particular game can be finished within about a week or so, or that's my plan. It can be done if people don't flake on it.

As for whether we'll play this PbP or elsewhere (like Discord), we can work that out once I have the interest. I'm fine with whatever method makes everyone else more comfortable.

One last note: you do not need anything if you have interest in taking part of this. I have all of the game components up to Signs of Carcosa, so I can run everything for anyone interested- all I need is for you to engage when I give you your options. Pretty much the only thing you need is familiarity with the game, and then you're set.

Interested players:

1. TerrickTerran
    2. Creeping Doom
    3. Greenflame133
    4. Tubadevil
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-04-14 at 03:38 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: Eldritch Horror (Homebrew Campaign)

not sure how it will work but I am intrigued.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TerrickTerran View Post
    not sure how it will work but I am intrigued.
    Does this mean I can put you down as having interest?

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sound like fun.
    Does the system has anything to do with Call Of Cthulhu 7e?
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    Sound like fun.
    Does the system has anything to do with Call Of Cthulhu 7e?
    I'm completely unfamiliar with this, so it's difficult for me to judge this.

Basically, this is the premise leading up to the prologue:

Spoiler
    Show
    It is 1928. The world is still trying to recover from the First World War. Meanwhile, you are a concerned civilian visiting Arkham noticing strange events occur, not just in your local area, but also being reported in various places all over the world. Having seen people dressed oddly at night performed even odder actions, you personally feel a sense of guilt about your inaction at the time. The only group of people who seem to have any awareness of why these events are taking place are the Order of the Silver Twilight Lodge. You decide to pay their institution a visit to see if you can determine the truth of the matter.

Then the Prologue begins. After that, we begin setup for the campaign itself, and the first game will begin.

As games are played, the story progresses, depending on if you won or lost, and most importantly, how you won or lost. Some gods are stronger than others. Allow a god to wake up who wants to do more than just enslave humanity, and terrible consequences might disrupt the campaign. Most importantly, try not to succumb to your wounds, or to let your mind shatter along the way...

It's hard to say much more than this without spoiling something. It's just Eldritch Horror with a story-based campaign. Fantasy Flight Games recently tried to come up with their own version of a campaign mode which ended up awfully received by the player base. You couldn't lose any games period, in any kind of way in their design, which I thought was kind of lame. There also really was nothing connecting the games or why gods were even attacking, so I tried to inject much more flavor, reason, and random events into this concept. And so yeah! Now I wanna try this out, and hopefully give people a reason to care about the choices they make in the games.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-03-26 at 05:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Yes, I am interested.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

EDIT: Actually, on reflection, having tried Discord once before, I think we may be better off trying play-by-post this time around.

That is, unless everyone interested would really rather we moved to Discord, but yeah.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-03-26 at 09:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Alright.
    I preffer pbp,I rarely log on discord.
    Sound like fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Awesome! Two more signups and we can get started! :)

So, just making sure, but both of you are familiar enough with the game to be alright with me using components from expansions up to Under the Pyramids, yes?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, I never played the boardgame.
    But I played Call Of Cthulhu, and know the general concept.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh? Yes, I've also played quite a few Lovecraft games too, you still might want to see a game as it's played to get a good general idea of how the flow works.

If you want, I can link you a game I think does a pretty good job explaining how things work to newer players? It's a step-by-step of each phase of the game and the people play in-character which I think is pretty fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am definitely interested and have played Eldritch Horror quite a few times in the past. I'd love to claim Ashcan Pete as my investigator, provided we're allowed to choose.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Doom View Post
    I am definitely interested and have played Eldritch Horror quite a few times in the past. I'd love to claim Ashcan Pete as my investigator, provided we're allowed to choose.
    Ashcan Pete is a Signs of Carcosa investigator- I can try really hard to get that expansion (along with Dreamlands and Cities in Ruin) as quickly as I can, hopefully before we start, since you requested him!

And yes, you are allowed to choose your investigator before each game! You will begin the campaign with 8 of them, and 2 more are added with every victory.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Ashcan Pete is one of my favorites. Looking forward to having him in the group.

I'd like to play Lily Chen myself.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OK everyone, can confirm, as per popular request, I just got my copy of Signs of Carcosa today, so I'll update the OP confirming that everything from the Base game to SoC is in play, including all components of the expansions in between.

igor, still curious to know if you're familiar with the rules of the game, and if not, would you like assistance in becoming familiar with it? I have videos that can help if so.

EDIT: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Ok. Ashcan Pete isn't Signs of Carcosa, he's Cities in Ruin. Unfortunately, the game store I went didn't have that one, and likely will not for the duration of the outbreak, so, I'm sorry Creeping Doom, but we can't use Ashcan for the time being.

I'll keep searching to add to my collection, but it's a bit limited, and for that I can only apologize.

At any rate, we don't need to be worrying over any character selections until the campaign actually begins, so let's just table this conversation about which investigators we'll be adding until after we get started.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-03-28 at 12:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't really want to bump this, but this is a pretty busy forum and I'm literally just one more player slot away from being able to launch this.

But also, I really need to hear back from one of the prospective players.

Igor, it is pretty important that I learn your familiarity with the rules of Eldritch Horror, so if you've been following along, could you please enlighten me?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Greetings. I'm definitely interested but I haven't actually played this game before. I'm very familiar with eldritch horror genre though (fan of Lovecraft, Bloodborne, Twin Peaks etc.) so if you were to help me with the basics of gameplay I'd be up for joining.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Djem View Post
    Greetings. I'm definitely interested but I haven't actually played this game before. I'm very familiar with eldritch horror genre though (fan of Lovecraft, Bloodborne, Twin Peaks etc.) so if you were to help me with the basics of gameplay I'd be up for joining.
    Hi there! Well, Eldritch Horror has a pretty big rulebook, but honestly I just think it's really bloated. Once you see how three whole rounds of the game play, you've really seen as much as you need to, the rest is just more options and variety to the game.

If you want, I think Wil Wheaton showcased an excellent step-by-step of gameplay while everyone he played with went into character. Did you want to watch a bit of that video, and I can leave you a cheat sheet of references after?

I'll be your Game Master, so really, as long as I know the official rulings of certain interactions and the erratas (and I do), then you really just need to know how the flow of the game works, and I'll tell you how it all unfolds as we progress. Besides, unusual adjustments will be made, for story purposes, as this is a campaign setting anyway.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-03-29 at 09:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sure, can you link me the Wil Wheaton showcase?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Djem View Post
    Sure, can you link me the Wil Wheaton showcase?
    Spoiler
    Show

Here you go :)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Eldritch Horror (Homebrew Campaign) (Full?)

We can begin campaign preparations as soon as I get confirmation that igor and Djem are comfortable enough for us to have them included in a game.

Doom and Terrick, are you both still okay to begin as well?
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2020-03-29 at 08:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Horror (Homebrew Campaign) (Full?)

ah. Sorry, right now, I don't have the patience to learn something entirly new.
    sorry, good luck, it does look like fun.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Eldritch Horror (Homebrew Campaign) (1 spot remaining)

Alrighty then. :P

We have one more spot open then, for anyone interested. All other players are confirmed and ready to go!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Horror (Homebrew Campaign) (1 spot remaining)

I'm in. ... Let the Ancient Ones attack!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh my god, I cannot believe it, we filled completely thanks to a stranger I do not know and have never met

*whistles innocently*

Alright everyone! Let's get this started!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I'm always online and only sleep a few hours a day, and very interested in joining someone else's game. Doing it on Discord for roleplay speed through voice?
    Spoiler: Me
    Show
    Spoiler: Meyers-Briggs
    Show

Spoiler: Gamer type
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Viirin View Post
    I'm always online and only sleep a few hours a day, and very interested in joining someone else's game. Doing it on Discord for roleplay speed through voice?
    Hi there! I'm so sorry, but I literally just filled the last spot!

But don't worry! It's going to be Play-by-Post right here on the forums, you can follow along if you want! And if I need a replacement at any point, I'd love to keep you in mind!

Last time I tried Discord, trying to power through games never really worked out well for us. I'm going to see if playing over forum helps people if they can pop up and play whenever they're available, rather than trying to get everyone in the same chat room to play together.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Bumping. A player has asked to drop out of the campaign, and as such, we need a replacement.

The game is currently ongoing, if this is fine for a replacement considering joining us.

OOC Thread: here

IC Thread: here

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spot has been filled.