New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Storm of Chaos IC

When requested to meet the Captain at the top of the tower, Sir Gottfried obliges him and heads directly to the top. While waiting, he pulls a piece of tough jerky from the pouch hanging at his belt and tears off a chunk of it with his teeth. Chewing slowly, he peers out toward the woods and observes the work of the scouts.

Upon the entry of the Captain, Gottfried offers him a polite bow. "It was too organized for a foraging party, Captain, and it's unlikely that a foraging party would attack a fortified position instead of some unfortunate farmer's home. This would appear to have been a probe to determine the defenses of the bridge. Truthfully, after the display of our elven friend, they may now overestimate our defensive strength and are likely to send a stronger force to take the bridge than is truly necessary."

He pauses for a moment to consider, and then continues. "Advancing, at this point, is unwise. We do not know what awaits us in those woods. If we were to stumble across the main body of their force with just the 2nd, we would stand no chance and this would be a needless loss for the Emperor's Grand Army. We do, however, know that this bridge is critical for the army to bring the fight into Ostland and to drive the invaders from the Empire. To me, it seems clear: the duty that has fallen to us is to hold this bridge no matter what comes until the Grand Army arrives and may cross."

His eyes then scan over each of the members in the council one by one. "If we are to defend against a potentially overwhelming force sent to take this bridge, we shall have to be cunning and use everything at our disposal."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Amos looked down at the scattered bodies. He picked up a loose arrow and tucked it back in his quiver. He'd heard tales of men who could learn a man's story from the clothes he wore or the weapons he carried, but all Amos saw was some unwashed savages ready for the mass grave. Still, he started searching a few of the bodies of the fallen, perhaps he could find something useful to help figure out something about the men lurking in the forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[79] v. 59 to search for clues or valuables. Maybe a convenient order of battle? Map? Set of orders? Stranger things have happened... will look around the charred body of the leader as well.

Once up at the tower, he waits deferentially behind the knights. When the Captain asks for opinions, he says, "I agree with the mamzel. Even if they's just raiders, we don't want them around to bother the supply wagons as they pass by. I volunteer to guide a scouting party in force into the woods, maybe just before dusk, to scout out the enemy's camp, so we can figure out their intentions and number. If you light a couple o' beacons atop the tower, we'll be able to find our way back no problem."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well he's no use to me dead, is he?" Bella answers sharply. "Here, let me have a look at him." Kneeling down over the wounded barbarian, she sets to work staunching the worst of the bleeding and then snaps the shaft to prevent it catching on anything when it's time to move him.

After a few minutes' work she grunts in satisfaction. "He'll live, at least for now, but he needs a proper healer to make him fit for interrogation. Take four men and get him to the surgeons. Make sure he doesn't get up to any mischief and make doubly sure no one tries finish him off. This man lives until Captain Ludenhof says otherwise, do I make myself clear?"

OOC: Successful Heal test in the OOC thread.

When the main body of troops arrive, Bella smiles in appreciation at the singing soldiers and blows Gotten a kiss in response to his wink, before heading up to the top of the tower to wait for the Captain. When he arrives, she lets Sir Gottfried and Amos speak before weighing in.

"My lord, I agree with Sir Gottfried that this seemed more like a probing attack than a spontaneous raid. The Ostland garrison here told us that they were part of a larger column marching from Zundap that was ambushed by a mixed force of savages and Beastmen. They reported that they lost half their number before gaining the safety of the bridge. This alone suggests that there is a larger, organized force out there in the woods."

"Sir Gottfried is obviously also correct in that the Struhelspan must be held at all costs. If we advance without leaving a sufficient garrison, the enemy may take the bridge before the Emperor arrives. However, we are the Emperor's vanguard, and while it does not fall to us to relieve Wolfenburg by ourselves, we do need to secure the route by which the Emperor intends to march. To that end, we cannot only rest on our laurels here. We should attempt to find and clear out any strong enemy forces nearby as soon as is practical so that we can continue our advance with the bulk of the battalion intact."

"Scouting is a necessity, but it will be very dangerous. The raiding party is retreating with a large number of wounded, so their trail will hopefully be easy to follow, but the risk of ambush if we pursue is likely still very high - the savages may not be exceptionally woodswise, but their Beastmen allies certainly are."

"However, there may be a complementary source of intelligence that we could make use of. We captured one of the raiders that attacked the bridge. He is sorely wounded but I have managed to stabilize him for now. If he can be made to talk in a tongue we understand, then perhaps we can learn more of the enemy force and its whereabouts before sending our own men into the forest."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Tuli felt the others may have been giving the Northman too much credit. 'How they fight depends on who is in charge out there. Their Gods drive them forward to seek blood. Many of them don't need much more of a reason to do the things that they do. Of course a smart Northman leader who can direct the rest of them is the most dangerous.' She'll nod at Amos' words. They needed more information and the man moved well in the woods.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

”I am unsure that we would be able to get much information from your prisoner, Arabella, given his loyalties. But we would be remiss if we did not at least try….” Asyrha said breezily, eyes not breaking from the line of trees beyond the Struhelspan. It made sense, what Tuli was saying, that they were giving a lot of credit to the Northmen.

But…the prickling sensation of Dhar on the wind still bothered her. Even Magister Martinov felt it. The marauders and their beastmen allies may have been an unwieldly weapon at best, but if there were sorcerers afoot then it was a much more malignant intelligence that wielded it.

”If we are to hold the Struhelspan until the rest of your Emperor’s army arrives then perhaps it would be wise to be alert. Send the scouts, but do not press so deeply into the woods. It would be folly to throw away any of our forces if there is a larger force hidden out in the dark.”
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

As usual, Sieur Armand d'Armagnac was the last to speak. Before that, he had been visibly pondering the words of the others. Even now, there were a few moments of silence after Tuli had ended, before he began.
    "Forgive me, but there seemed nothing organised about that attack to me, your Highness. There was also nothing to... 'probe', as your men, as must have been obvious to the northmen, weren't in position yet. It seems far more likely that they were a warband harassing the garrison - we were told as much - they lost their head and attacked when they saw your troops advancing over the bridge, for a chance at glory instead of abandoning their target." he stated, calmly.

"As to my advice regarding our next step, I have not changed my mind. Holding the bridge alone brings us no benefit. The northmen do not need to attack us here, that is likely not their priority with the siege of Wolfenburg in progress. They merely need to prevent the Grand Army from crossing the river. They can do that from their side, if there are enough forces gathered. An army crossing a river is in an extremely vulnerable position. If the Grand Army can't bring their numbers to bear, there will be a high price of blood paid if the northmen attack while the Emperor's men are crossing. If the crossing succeeds at all." He paused for a moment, his gaze drifting to the clouds of smoke dotting the air above Ostland.

"It seems imperative that we truly secure this side of the river. That means advancing deeper into Ostland. We need to prevent the warbands currently plundering the countryside and whatever larger Northmen units operate here from forming a force capable of bottling us in."

His eyes set on Asyrha, and the Imperial Sorceress.
    "I believe it would also be wise to listen to the advice of those knowledgeable about the ways of magic. If there are dark magics at work in the woods, we have to put a stop to it sooner rather than later."

The Bretonnian knight looked to Tuli and Amos.
    "All that, of course, with the necessary reconnaissance... although I expect we do not have much time."

Last, he turned back to Ludenhoff.
    "I understand this is a much more risky course of action, your Highness. However, I believe we may have no other choice, if we do not want to trust in our luck."
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-04-08 at 02:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Ludenhof nods to all the others as he strokes his chin gently, clearly considering his options. There is the sounds of heavy blows and cry of muffled pain and a few moments later Gotten comes up stairs wiping blood off his hands on a rag. "Captain. We spoke tp prisoner that Mistress Bella kept for us. He's sleeping now... Said they was a raiding party. Reckon imperials be easy prey so thought they'd grab the bridge afore you arrived Captain. Didn't reckon us having magic help." A few sharp eyed folk will notice his left hand tucked behind his back makes the sign of the comet to ward off the ill luck and his avoid Asrhya and Alena. "Anyhow, he reckons bulk of his army be up near Lenkster with that under a small siege as well. Rest of army is up by Wolfenburg but big bands just roaming and causing mayhem and what not."

Ludenhof nods, and pulls out the flask from a fold in his cloak. Interesting my thanks Gotten. Now, hold this." He offers Gotten the end of the map and beckons the others closer. "Now see, if there is a strong force up by Castle Lenkster we can avoid them if we travel the sourthern road", here he traces the road to the east towards Zundap. "We could then head north after that and avoid the forces besieging the Knights Panther".

Looking at the others he nods slowly towards Tuli, Bella and Ser Armand. "I agree, I do not want to be pinned on this bridge. But we must press on with safety. Tuli, Amos, will you scout the eastern road." He glances at Bella, Asrhya and the knights, "I'd apprecitae if you could travel with them and we'll use some of the wagon horses for a few of Gotten's men. Push hard down the eastern road on horseback. If you find somewhere, a farmholding, a coaching inn or somesuch that we could reach before night fall then return and we can advance."

He glances down to Gotten. "Gotten, have the half of your men, that Tliean rogue and his pikes, and half of Offman's men dig in here for the night. We'll have everyone esle and the artillery make ready to march if we find somewhere safe to advance to. Gotten. you can stay here with Ostlanders for the night and when the army arrives make haste and rejoin the battalion towards Zundap.
    He looks at the party with a wary eye. "Be wary in the woods. The beasts can move like ghosts and there may be more raiders. I would not lose you but speed here is vital in reclaiming Ostland and driving the enemy back. If they can bottle us up here I fear that would stall our attempts to relieve Wolfenburg."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"All this riding is going to wear a hole in my breeches, but the plan's good, my lord. I'll ride with Tuli and Amos," Bella quips.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

"As you wish, your Highness." Sieur Armand concurred, lowering his head slightly in respect. He was a bit surprised by the mercenary's colloquial tone towards Ludenhoff, but then again, maybe not.

The Bretonnian Knight looked over to Asyrha, trying to gauge her reaction. In the end, she had cautioned against going deeper into the woods, but there was, in his opinion, no other way.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    "Anyhow, he reckons bulk of his army be up near Lenkster with that under a small siege as well. Rest of army is up by Wolfenburg but big bands just roaming and causing mayhem and what not."
    To Gotten, 'Watch him closely. He will be embarrassed to have been taken alive. I expect he will try to escape as soon as he is able.'

To Bella with a grin, 'They do not know what they are in for.'

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Amos nods at Ludenhof. "Scout road. Look for a good place to camp. Aye, it will be done." He turns to Gotten and says, "The prisoner was part of a band that killed honest travelers on the Emperor's road. I know how the roadwardens deal with such men. The bridge would make a fine gallows."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Listening to the plans as they were discussed among the humans, Asyrha kept a watchful gaze torn between the Magister of Ghur and the line of trees that led further into the dark woods wherein the servants of Chaos had fled.

When she, along with the two knights, was addressed more directly, the Asrai broke the meandering gaze away and on to Captain Ludenhof.

”As you wish.” Asyrha said. She would fetch the horse she had been provided before they left.

It was strange, to interact with her new companions. While she had some experience with Armand – dare she even say a blossoming friendship, odd as it was between her people and his own – but there always seemed to be some sort of division. She was not a human, and as such much of the banter that existed seemed foreign to her.

”My people do not often wear…breeches, Arabella.” Asyrha said somewhat airily, as if perpetually distracted. ”When the Wild Hunt rides, it is often easier to simply bind what you cannot bear to be uncovered and leave the rest to the elements.”
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2020-04-11 at 04:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

It takes some 15 minutes or so for a stream of men to march across the bridge and the 10 archers to be given some horses as two of the supply carts are unloaded into the tower. The Ostlanders cheered and happy by the sudden arrival of such a large body of men! With horses mounted Gotten waves you off as you trot towards the tree line. Seeing you about to leave the strange and haggard woman calls out to Asrryha. "Ghur swirls and downs in the east. I feel Aqshy, twisted by Dhar. Fire and blood mar your way..." She picks up some soil and presses it into Asryha's hand. Trust in the earth. Seer of the Azyr."

Approaching the trees the nearest of the pickets waves, "Aye my lords. Have a care, we saw tracks in the woods, most seem to be fleeing North east through the woods, but Able and Karl didn't come back from their patrol down the east road. Maybes they were lost maybe they is dead." He nods down the road, "Have a care. But I reckons there is a coaching in before the village, I reckon I been down this way when I were a nipper."

The road stretches out towards the East, trees thick and heavy lining the road filled with shadows...

OOC
    Whats your marching order? Approach, are you staying together or letting some scouts heady out in front a little

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    ”My people do not often wear…breeches, Arabella.” Asyrha said somewhat airily, as if perpetually distracted. ”When the Wild Hunt rides, it is often easier to simply bind what you cannot bear to be uncovered and leave the rest to the elements.”
    "Really? That sounds fascinating. Freezing, but fascinating. I wouldn't try that while you're with the army, though. You'll distract the menfolk so much that they forget to fight rather than ogle," she answers with a giggle.

OOC: I'd suggest two groups. "Scout types" travel a short distance ahead - just far enough so that the rest of us can close in a round or two on horseback - and the rest of us follow behind. The scouts (Amos and Tuli?) should be reinforced with enough archers so that they don't get annihilated in one ambush. Perhaps 4 archers with them and the rest with us? I.e. a vanguard of 6 and main body of 10.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

<”Let Hekarti and Morag-hai guide your magic, Ghur-weaver.>” Asyrha said to the Brown Magister in Eltharin, a soft smile on her face as she took the handful of dirt and rubbed it thoughtfully between her fingers.

”The climate in Athel Loren is very often mild and pleasant. The forest spirits work to keep it, more or less, hospitable. Though that is not always the case. Especially in Atylwhyth, where it is winter eternally.” Asyrha explained to Bella, as she rode along. The Asrai Spellsinger glanced down at herself, perhaps a bit self-conscious of the ways of humans. She already wasn’t wearing breeches, simply a fluttering robe and tall boots with soft soles.

”Perhaps…it will not be a problem. I cannot foresee many humans brave enough to approach me.” There was little conceit in her voice, simply that same breezy naiveté that spoke of someone wholly unaccustomed to the culture and traditions she had found herself immersed in.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I agree with Rax. Tuli and Amos scouting ahead, perhaps. Not too far though. And Asyrha will stick near Armand, Gottfriend and Bella.

Last edited by Erulasto; 2020-04-11 at 05:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Amos was used to scouting ahead of small groups, whether it be the army on the march or caravans back before the war. He took the lead, staying to the long shadows of the trees as much as possible. He scanned the road ahead, looking for signs of ambush... glints of metal, strange movement in the trees, or animals startling with no explanation. He will also hope to discern something of the fate of the patrollers... looking for splashes of blood, fresh tracks, that sort of thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[8] v. 46. move silently. (1d100)[67] v. 59. Perception. FP on the perception roll if needed. (1d100)[90]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Tuli simply chuckles at all the talk of breeches. Anyone who chose to ride like that in the north had usually been drinking. Seemingly the Elves were very different. To Asyrha, 'If they do not approach they are likely still looking.' There was no time for that sort of thing, but perhaps the Elf viewed things differently.

She will follow Amos at a distance but will try to stay within range just in case. She dislikes dismounting and is not as good in the woods as the scout, but Tylik is really too noisy. With a curt command in Ungol, she'll leave her horse to trail the others.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

So Tuli is behind Amos and ahead of the others
    Silent Move vs. Ag 50 /2 (+10 Rover)
    (1d100)[30]

Perception vs. Int 32
    (1d100)[96]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

After a couple of hundreds yards down the road Amos, Tuli and a few of the archers all trot further ahead of the heavily armoured knights and the rest of the archers. Amos and Tuli move silently through down the edge of the road, the trees thick and heavy on their flank, shadows and creaking branches startling them constantly. About 3 hours down the road, 3 long hours of creeping forward and jumping out shadows you think you be about half way down to the village.

Tuli and Amos both slow, raising hands to pause the scouting archers as they see the wooden palisade and slated roof of a solid looking coaching inn around 200 yards ahead of you. The gates of the stable yard lie ajar and blood paints the walls, a half a horse strewn bloodily across the road and what looks to be from this distance scarecrows dangling from the roof windows of the Inn...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Why kill the horse? She could unfortunately make some guesses as to why. She'll spit on the ground in the direction of the 'scarecrows'. The spirits of those who died that badly were likely still around and still angry at their fates. She'll attract Amos' attention and will gesture towards the coaching inn gates with a questioning look.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Sieur Armand rode alongside the others silently, only moving his head towards Asyrha's and Eisenhauer's strange conversation when "ogling menfolk" is mentioned, his disapproving frown, once again, hidden by the Great Helmet. If Asyrha's obvious power was not enough to prevent unwelcome advances, his swordarm definitely would.

Further ahead, after a while, the scouts seemed to have seen something. The Bretonnian Knight waited, keeping a close eye on his surroundings.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Amos stopped and stared at the messy ruin for a little longer than was necessary. He felt queasy. Coaching inns were supposed to be islands of safety amidst the dark woods... and to see one so desecrated... he swallowed a bit. "Go back and warn the knights," he told one of the archers. "Wait, don't go alone. Take, uh, three others. The rest of you, uh, let's see. Stick together. Arrows nocked. I... I think this place is dead, but we'll sweep it for survivors. Or... maybe there's a raider hiding out somewhere. " He wiped his brow. Once the archers had gone first, Amos drew his pistol and headed towards the gates, looking for signs of life.

22. - Top - End - #82

RangerGuy

Being on the road, Sir Gottfried rides along on the back of his massive warhorse with his lance readied and the faceplate of his helmet up for better visibility.

Upon noticing the scouts halt, he pulls the reigns of his horse to stop it as well and awaits word while scanning the treeline on either side of the woods.

Show
    Perception: (1d100)[52] vs TN 31

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

In the Woods near the coaching Inn

Amos and Tuli pause in the shadows of the trees leading their horses through the thick trees. Tuli, distracted by the dead horse, see's nothing beyond that but Amos's sharp eyes catch the glint of a sword blade in one of the upstairs windows and a faint smell of matted fur and acrid dung on a small gust of wind and realises that there must be some chaos marauders or beasts still in the Inn. A second later a scream and a whimper rings out, followed by a guttural laugh. The scream cuts off abrubtly...

DOwn the Road

The 4 archers run back to the knights and the rest of the scouts, a breathless look of worry on their faces. "An Inn lord. The scouts are watching it. Its been sacked recently, blood and bodies still do be looking fresh."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, that's to be expected, I suppose. These savages have no honour and no respect for the rules of warfare," Bella ventures her opinion, her face darkened with anger. "But at least we've found what the Captain's looking for. We should advance and secure it - with due caution of course. No need to walk into an ambush."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Amos grabs Tuli by the arm quickly and whispers "Enemies inside." He slides back into the cover of the trees so as not to spook their quarry before the reinforcements come.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Halting the canter of her horse the moment the roadhouse comes into view, Asyrha rises to stand in the stirrups and peers ahead down the road.

The Asrai closed her eyes to center herself, drawing on the Blue Wind to expand her senses into the Aethyr

Show

Magical Sense (1d100)[6]

"I can lure them out, if you so desire." Asyrha said after a moment of contemplation, "At no threat to myself. Lead them out to fight in the open? Where arrows and horses may serve better than indoors."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Oh? That's a handy trick indeed," Bella says. "But perhaps we shouldn't call on your magic until we know that there are enemies still there. So far the scouts have only confirmed that the place has been sacked recently, and I hear bad things sometimes happen if the Winds of Magic get...out of hand."

OOC: Bella's interjecting because, as far as I can tell, any knowledge that there are enemies still inside the inn is restricted to Amos and Tuli.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

As another archer, sent by Tuli and Amos arrives he whispers the news to the trailing party that Amos has spotted people in the Inn and that they heard a scream. "Probably inn folk right enough. Better dead than a plaything of chaos sort eh?" the archer nods in between spitting his chewing tobacco into the trees. He nods ahead pointing the cluster of thick trees where you assume Amos and Tuli have stashed their horses and crept forward to within sight of the small walls around the coaching inn courtyard.

Asryha opens herself up to the aethryr, her eyes glowing a vibrant cerulean blue as she gazes ahead. The leering face of screaming cloud of shysh hovers over some of the nearby forest - presumably the inn and within a smear of dhar and a single dark pustule of evil. Interpreting the signs Asrhya realises that there mus be a significantly dark influenced creature within the Inn.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Amos grabs Tuli by the arm quickly and whispers "Enemies inside." He slides back into the cover of the trees so as not to spook their quarry before the reinforcements come.
    Tuli's eyes narrow and she slides her tulwar from it's scabbard, 'They are having fun with the owners perhaps? Does this place have a backdoor?'

30. - Top - End - #90

RangerGuy

Gottfried frowns at the news from the new archer.

"Damned beasts. Forward, then, before they kill any other innocents this day."

While it was not the most tactically sound option to simply walk up and goad whatever was within out, it seemed that time was of importance if those who had sought refuge in the Inn were being harmed. And as a Knight, his duty was to protect those citizens of the Empire that were loyal subjects of the Emperor; and it was that historic service that caused the Reiksguard to be the most beloved of the Orders of Knights.

And so, whether or not the rest of the tailing group follows him, Sir Gottfried coaxes Sigmund into a canter while securing his lance to the saddle behind him. It would be of no use in the likely close-quarters fight soon to occur, and he draws the morningstar instead.

As he approaches the Inn, the loud clop of Sigmund's hooves echo through the area; presumably why he chose to advance at a canter.

Knowing his allies would be well hidden and able to capitalize on the distraction of their foe, he calls out as he approaches. "Ho there! My horse and I are weary and seek a place to stay!"

Show
    In case something comes barreling out and into melee, Parry: (1d100)[29] vs TN 79 (69 WS, +10 Defensive weapon)