New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Class: The Caller

Been looking for a place to get some traction on what I'm working on, hoping here might prove conducive to useful conversation.

This is a class I hammered together over a few days, so it's probably a bit rough around the edges. I'm looking for feedback on obvious (or maybe less-obvious) mechanical issues. You can speak to the fluff if you want, but I feel what's written gets to the overall thrust of what the class is about. This is not intended to match the lore of "official" campaign settings in any way.

I do not have the spell-equivalents for the casting system written yet, but one of the subclasses touches lightly on what I have planned for that in terms of casting-equivalent mechanics. I'm not sold on the numbers, or even just the shape of the mechanic as a whole; this casting-equivalent system uses six "spell" levels, and I don't have an equivalency chart in mind in terms of equating them to spells.

Numbers for the "pet" seem an acceptable/reasonable starting point, but I'm open to math-hammering. Precise mechanics for how the pets work aren't included yet, but hopefully are mostly intuitive thus far (they will be spelled out at a future date).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13a...cL6sulzvjoq9f1
    Mechanics should reflect flavor. Always.
    Journey: The journey of a thousand steps begins beneath your feet... (WIP)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Class: The Caller

Compared with summoners and their eidolons, what can callers bring to the table?
    Last edited by faustin; 2020-04-01 at 06:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Class: The Caller

Your question is... mildly confusing, in context, so I'm going to go from the top.

This class is for D&D 5e, not PF. So while we can compare the two, it's going to be a bit rougher.

I'm not sure if it was missed, but the link at the bottom of the OP goes to a google doc containing the class. Probably should've called that out in the post.

In PF, a summoner is a half-caster, typically with a single eidolon with "build-a-bear" mechanics, and has a set progression of features that relate directly to the eidolon.

The caller, by comparison, is not a caster by default. They can have multiple eikons (the eidolon equivalent), but each eikon has a set progression; while a caller can know multiple eikons, only one can be out at a time. Eikons have a set of features they gain over levels that the caller can use by spending mist points, a resource callers gain slowly that refreshes on a long rest (short rest at 20th). A caller can use the abilities of eikons that are not summoned, but it's a bit more difficult, by increasing the mist cost of the eikon ability used.

The caller's core features generally relate to trading hit points with the eikon: either eating damage it would take yourself, or giving it some fraction of healing you would receive. Callers also get a pool of features they can choose from based upon the eikons they know: these are generally more utilitarian.

Subclasses are:
    • Echoed Voice, which is all about specializing on one eikon. This lets you call it faster, re-summon it if it dies, and so forth.
    • Evoker, which gains half-casting. As mentioned in the OP, the spell system for my primal classes is not yet fleshed out, but that section might give insight into what I'm thinking.
    • Painted Soul, which is basically the PF summoner in subclass form, letting you call your eikon to your side, see through its senses, etc.
    • Worldsinger, which focuses on mist and gives you more, lets you heal your eikon through spending mist, and some other stuff.

Does that answer the question?
    Mechanics should reflect flavor. Always.
    Journey: The journey of a thousand steps begins beneath your feet... (WIP)