New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default An Obsevation on Beetlejuice(the Film)

In the movie Beetlejuice, the climax is set off by Otho, Delia's effeminate interior designer friend, preforms what he thinks is a seance but is actually an exorcism, forcing Lydia to free Betelguess to save the Maitlands.

The instructions for the exorcism were in the Handbook for the Recently Deceased. A book written for ghosts and never once intended to be read by mortals.

Why. Why does a book for Ghosts have instructions for things to use against Ghosts? The thing that's "death for the dead?"

Has anyone ever thought on that? Have they ever said why that's the case?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: An Obsevation on Beetlejuice(the Film)

Well I never watched it, but if its a horror-comedy as what I can look up says it is, then it might be a bit of black/dark humor where the help is....uh....instructions of how to end a ghosts suffering by putting them out of their misery. so to say. kind of like a dark satire where a book for humans includes instructions on how to kill them "just in case things get bad enough".
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well I never watched it, but if its a horror-comedy as what I can look up says it is, then it might be a bit of black/dark humor where the help is....uh....instructions of how to end a ghosts suffering by putting them out of their misery. so to say. kind of like a dark satire where a book for humans includes instructions on how to kill them "just in case things get bad enough".
    Exorcism in Beetlejuice results in you being a shriveled corpse suffering in agony for all eternity in a room in the Afterlife(which is a vast beaurocracy staffed almost entirely by the ghosts of people who committed suicide. Apprently you're allowed to quit that job after a certain point, but...)

So yeah, its probably not that.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Exorcism in Beetlejuice results in you being a shriveled corpse suffering in agony for all eternity in a room in the Afterlife(which is a vast beaurocracy staffed almost entirely by the ghosts of people who committed suicide. Apprently you're allowed to quit that job after a certain point, but...)

So yeah, its probably not that.
    well people putting their enemies through horrible torments is one of the most timeless parts of humanity so....good weapon to get rid of people you really hate?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5

Gotta get rid of beetlejuice types somehow! Like, imagine if he wasnt vulnerable to saying his name three times, what do you do if he wants to make your afterlife a misery? You cast him out! Thats my theory anyways.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Based on how the Handbook reads like “stereo instructions,” I imagine there was a section on occult spells and rituals that could potentially harm ghosts the same way instruction manuals advise against unsafe uses of equipment.

Otho claimed he had previously been a leading paranormal expert, so I imagine that he extrapolated from information in the book to cast the ritual. Unfortunately, the spell he thought would cause the ghosts to manifest ended up being an exorcism.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-05-12 at 12:45 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Beholder

I always thought the book might of had a "how to avoid a summons from a mortal" section.....that would describe how to summon a ghost as reference so the ghost could prevent it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The book "reads like stereo instructions" but like stereo instructions it has a ton of information, like enough information to completely take the stereo apart and put it back together. If you were to read it fully you would probably have protections from exorcisms, but conveying that information requires explaining an exorcism in detail.

As far as we know knowledge and experience is the only thing giving Beetlejuice's reality bending and while the Maitland's are trying to spook people by putting sheets over their heads.
    Last edited by Hand_of_Vecna; 2020-05-15 at 02:41 PM.