New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lighthearted Fantasy Movies/TV?

Disenchantment, obviously.

I'm sure there are more that I've watched and have now forgotten, but then again most fantasy TV is pretty bad (even moreso than usual).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Most fantasy movies tend to take themselves very seriously, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. A certain recent series took itself extremely seriously, and ponderous gravitas seems to be the overall trend.

But what about fantasy movies and series that are more lighthearted? I’m thinking in the vein of Princess Bride, which has just enough depth amidst all the silly. I haven’t seen Baron Munchausen, but I have a feeling it’s along the same lines.

Are there any others that have a lighter and/or comedic tone? Specifically live-action movies or TV series, and I should clarify I’m looking for those which are light and comedic on purpose, rather than from cheesy gravitas gone wrong.

The movie adaptations of Discworld novels certainly qualify, and Labyrinth has to be included. What else is there along those lines?
    It's not set in a fantasy world but both Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile (the sequel to the former) are both hilarious, fantasy-esque (there's legends and myths and such) movies. Both worth a watch. I remember enjoying Jewel of the Nile more than Romancing the Stone.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If you want light hearted, try Red Dwarf. If there's one series that doesn't take anything seriously, it's this one. A bit older (I would go for the Original British one, not the remake), but still a lot of fun.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    The Shannara Chronicles? It was too goofy-"lighthearted" for my taste, but people seemed to enjoy it alright.
    Huh. Surprising. The book that was the template for the first season, Elfstones of Shannara, was the very first book I read that contained so much grim death I couldn't care about it any more.

(I loved the ripoff, though. Can't spell out what that is without spoiling at least one of those works, and it's not light-hearted enough for OP either, but it was just... pure.)
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Put it in a spoiler tag? I'm curious.

6. - Top - End - #36

ClericGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    It's not set in a fantasy world but both Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile (the sequel to the former) are both hilarious, fantasy-esque (there's legends and myths and such) movies. Both worth a watch. I remember enjoying Jewel of the Nile more than Romancing the Stone.
    If we're counting those, we should also count the pulp fantasy of Indiana Jones and the modern fantasy of Jumanji.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Letter for the King just premiered on Netflix.

Last edited by Berenger; 2020-04-02 at 11:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    As someone above mentioned Kung-Fu Hustle, that has reminded me of Monkey which is probably the Ur-example of weird Japanese shows being imported and then dubbed (hilariously badly in some cases) into English. It's an insane mix of 1970's production value, made in Japan, based on Chinese folklore, then dubbed into English by someone who spoke neither Japanese nor Chinese so the quality is all over the place.... and yet it is both endearing and fascinating to watch simply for its inventiveness. Definitely worth a watch if you want something a bit... different.
    Ah yes, one of the great joys of my childhood, and actually inspired me to read the Whaley abridgement of Journey to the West (also called Monkey), and then to get the full Yu translation for my 18th. And all this about a decade before I discovered Manga and Anime.

Kung-Fu Hustle was pretty good too.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

As it happens, I tried watching Kung Fu Hustle a couple weeks ago, partly from the recommendations in this thread and partly because I'd come across it before and was interested.

Unfortunately it's not for me. I could only force myself to watch about half an hour, but in that time it couldn't seem to decide whether it was a brutal crime story, a strange crime musical, a satire of a Chinese slum community, or a live-action Looney Tunes episode. I just didn't find it funny, and couldn't find a character whose story I cared about.

This makes me wonder about Journey to the West, a rather oddball movie I've also come across and thought about watching. After the disappointment of Kung Fu Hustle, I'm wary of items in a similar vein.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

As it happens, I tried watching Kung Fu Hustle a couple weeks ago, partly from the recommendations in this thread and partly because I'd come across it before and was interested.

Unfortunately it's not for me. I could only force myself to watch about half an hour, but in that time it couldn't seem to decide whether it was a brutal crime story, a strange crime musical, a satire of a Chinese slum community, or a live-action Looney Tunes episode. I just didn't find it funny, and couldn't find a character whose story I cared about.

This makes me wonder about Journey to the West, a rather oddball movie I've also come across and thought about watching. After the disappointment of Kung Fu Hustle, I'm wary of items in a similar vein.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure if you didn't like 'Kung Fu Hustle' then 'Journey to the West' isn't going to be for you (also be aware there are two Journey to the west movies 'Conquering the Demons' and 'the sequel 'The Demons Strike Back')
    You are aware they're both by the same director ? Stephen Chow
    Speaking of which, and light hearted fantasy movies, you might try 'Shaolin Soccer' of his. Which is in the same comedy-mystical Kung Fu vein as 'Kung Fu Hustle' but more straight forwardly just a comedy with cartoon villains and football-fu feats
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2020-04-26 at 08:51 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Aha. I appreciate the caution, thanks. I didn't catch they were by the same director, but that's a solid reason to steer clear.

And in fact, now that you mention Shaolin Soccer, I think I had that confused with Kung Fu Hustle. If Shaolin Soccer is a straightforward comedy, that might be more like what I'm looking for.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Spamalot in the Playground

Uh, Buffy is a lot of things, but I definitely wouldn't call it "lighthearted." It's Joss Whedon after all

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    More kung-fu-fantasy than western fantasy, but Kung Fu Hustle is really good, pretty silly, and lots of fun.
    While you're at it, throw in Shaolin Soccer!

OP, what are your thoughts on anime?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Uh, Buffy is a lot of things, but I definitely wouldn't call it "lighthearted." It's Joss Whedon after all
    Depends a lot on the episode.

What about tv and film that parodies roleplaying tropes, eg The Gamers or Journeyquest?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I haven't seen it in quote a while, but I really enjoyed Time Bandits.

For a more recent underappreciated film, The Huntsman: Winter's War is actually a pretty decent, fun fantasy adventure. Chris Hemsworth is really fun with a performance similar to Val Kilmer's Mad Martigan character from Willow, and Charlize Theron completely chews up the scenerey in the few scenes she's in. (I haven't actually seen Snow White and the Huntsman, so have no idea if it's similar)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Does "Enchanted" count? The one where a Disney princess gets sent to the real world (specifically New York) by the evil queen? I'm going to say it does.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-04-28 at 11:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Willow is a great old one from George Lucas, alot of silly and doesn't take itself TOO seriously, Val Kilmer is great in it, another one could be In the Name of the King, with Jason Statham, or again the Movie Dungeons and Dragons with Justin Whalin and Marlon Wayans is also entertaining.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

While you're at it, throw in Shaolin Soccer!

Could never really warm up to Kung Fu Hustle, but Shaolin Soccer is a popcorn movie favourite.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

If anyone has good anime recommendations that aren't too, you know anime*, I'm all ears too, by the way.

*Basically, I'm super picky with anime. I can't stand 99% of anime, but there's like ten shows I passionately love. Most anime that gets recommended to me, even based on my previous likes, I quit before I get halfway through the first episode.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    If anyone has good anime recommendations that aren't too, you know anime*, I'm all ears too, by the way.

*Basically, I'm super picky with anime. I can't stand 99% of anime, but there's like ten shows I passionately love. Most anime that gets recommended to me, even based on my previous likes, I quit before I get halfway through the first episode.
    Some classics that don't follow the tired shonen anime clichés:

• Cowboy Bebop (arguably the best anime of all times)
    • Monster (superb thriller)
    • Future Boy Conan (early Miyazaki)
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

How about Ladyhawke? Does it take itself too seriously? I couldn't keep a straight face with the 80s synthesizer soundtrack, but you could argue that Mouse helps to sprinkle in levity.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Ladyhawke is a treasured memory from my childhood. The music was awesome when it first came out, in the context of the time, but I have to agree it hasn't aged well. If the movie could be remastered with an orchestral soundtrack that would improve it tremendously.

Sadly, the movie also needs different actors than Rutger Hauer and Matthew Broderick, neither of whom did much acting here. Much as I love this movie, objectively they're pretty awful.

As for its tone, it's not what I had in mind when I started this thread, and I wouldn't really call it "lighthearted fantasy" overall. From the various suggestions I've received in this thread, it seems clear that there's hardly anything out there with the tone I had in mind, without quickly slipping into comic absurdity on the one hand or earnest goofiness on the other. Not sure why that is.

23. - Top - End - #53

As for its tone, it's not what I had in mind when I started this thread, and I wouldn't really call it "lighthearted fantasy" overall. From the various suggestions I've received in this thread, it seems clear that there's hardly anything out there with the tone I had in mind, without quickly slipping into comic absurdity on the one hand or earnest goofiness on the other. Not sure why that is.
    Probably because, in films, fantasy needs to be paired with a strong genre. The audience necessary for movies to be successful and warranted is many times the equivalent for published work. Even today, in the post-LOTR films era when fantasy arguably became a mainstream genre, it is still fighting an uphill battle to prove itself and to attract movie audiences.

One consequence of how niche fantasy as a genre is in movies is that it will usually need to be paired with another genre to attract a sufficient audience. The same thing with sci-fi. All fantasy successes have done that, the latest of which, Game of Thrones, is as much fantasy as it is a political thriller and a horror series. The Witcher is more light-hearted, but it would still be too much of a genre piece (a fantasy hardboiled thriller) to satisfy your requirements.

And just as "light-hearted vanilla" as a genre by itself is not attractive to movie audiences*, that matched with fantasy is also not attractive to audiences. Therefore it's only rarely made.

*You mentioned explicitly that you exclude products with goofiness and comedy, so something like the Jumanji reboots would not count.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm. It's not Ren-faire fantasy, but how about Hook? Plenty of fun, character arcs, Hoskins-as-Smee, and maybe even a little bit of drama.

Labyrinth is a little meme-tastic, too, but might be in the ballpark?

I don't see movies very often nowadays, so I can't really recommend contemporary things.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by TaRix
    Labyrinth is a little meme-tastic, too, but might be in the ballpark?
    I have no idea what you mean by "meme-tastic," but I included Labyrinth in the OP as an example of what I'm looking for.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Has anybody recommended 'Stardust' yet ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Somewhere between Stardust and Labyrinth, there's Mirrormask, and Coraline (though that one's not live action).

There's a lot of The Magicians that is a fantasy adventure, but it often takes a dark tone to its story or comedy beats. Ok, always a dark tone. It's like a continual, repeating, spiraling train wreck with magic.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Zalabim
    Somewhere between Stardust and Labyrinth, there's Mirrormask....
    Now we're talking. Mirrormask is a great little movie, and I really need to watch it again. Coraline I couldn't get into and didn't finish.

As for Stardust (thanks, comicshorse!) that's also very much in the vein of what I'm thinking of. I just watched it again a few weeks ago, and while the plot is a bit of a frothy mess, it's still tremendously fun, and the acting talent is top-notch across the board.

Originally Posted by Zalabim
    [The Magicians is] like a continual, repeating, spiraling train wreck with magic.
    I really, really dislike this series, for reasons I won't go into. I forced myself to finish the first season and quit for good, which I've never regretted.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Carry On **** may be up your alley.

It's a 1970s British comedy in the vein of Princess Bride. The plot follows a Highwayman in 1700s France as he bamboozles the constabularly of Paris. It's got a very cheeky, whimsical humor to it.

EDIT: The fact that this forum censors part of the film's name should clue you into the humor of the film.

The censored term is a slang for a certain "Male Member".
    Last edited by Hagashager; 2020-05-12 at 04:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

You've said you liked both Stardust and Discworld, so why not a collaboration between the two authors: Good Omens.

Solidly in Fantasy, but not swords and sorcery, but modern.