Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default High level Spheres/Champions campaign (PF 1)

So, since it does not seem like my other requests are gaining much traction, I figured I'd make a more generalized request. I would like to try a campaign (that hopefully continues for a while), where I can try a full caster. My other requests involved my Homebrew race and were somewhat outlandish, so decided to make a smaller request. I want to try a level 11+ game using Spheres/Champions. I never play a full caster, but I would like to try it (either that, or if I can get a GM to sign off on it, I'd prefer making a Bonewright Armorist that, instead of gaining full caster level on Reanimate from the Death Sphere would, instead, gain full caster level on talents that specifically target Bone instead (this would also swap the class bonus sphere from Death (Limited - Reanimate) to either Create (Limited - Bone) or Telekinesis (Limited - Bone), and like the original version, would not acquire a bonus talent from whichever one they picked.

If that does not float, I have other ideas I'd like to try. I'd like to see combat, but not overwhelmingly so, but rather situations in which I could use some form of ingenuity and see how it goes. I'd also like a rather cohesive world/plot rather than simply battle after battle for no reason.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-04-01 at 11:23 AM.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Looking for a high level Spheres/Champions campaign (PF 1)

I'm going to dot this thread so I can find it easier later. I'm too tired to adequately piece my thoughts together, which is the reason for a dot instead of a more substantial Q&A.

3. - Top - End - #3

Devil

Ask away, I am leaving it mostly open, as I have several concepts (though for a Conjuration build I was planning on doing, the one drawback is not part of the new release, the Solitary Summons (which allows only one summon out at any given time (also makes it more dramatic when buying off that drawback after a few more levels). The concept was initially a means of mimicking the caster by summoning multiple versions of himself by pulling them out of their own separate realities, where they made different choices at important moments growing up and later in life as well, forming divergent paths (and thus had different abilities). I actually found that Time Clone might be more appropriate, though it does not allow me to change the spheres of the alternate self. Another one was a Pact Master Thaumaturge, which may grant a little more leeway.

I was considering trying to build an Oneiromancer (Dream Mage), but I was unsure which class would be closest (stuck between Fey Adept and Eliciter, though Shadow Stuff and Create Reality seem more appropriate, so I would lean that way if I built it), but I know it requires both Mind and Illusion spells. Creation and Telekinesis were another thought as well, which would be a more brute force build. Osteomancy (Bone Magic) was what I initially had planned and I think the Bonewright Armorist would be the most thematic, though it focuses more on the death Sphere and raising the dead rather than specifically targeting and affecting bones. Of course, aside from asking to switch the full caster benefit to any given talent that specifically targets bone instead of reanimate, my initial character design was for a Half-Undead Jotunblut Goliath (a subraces of my own custom race). Level 11 is when he would be fully grown (the race system I use is based off of VMC, so he sacrifices feats to improve racial traits). At level 11, it would only have 3 feats, where most would have 6 or 7. While Bonewrights are big and strong (Large size, +6 to Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis +2) I can make an Abyssal Bloodrager stronger than that at that level via Demonic Bulk.

As for setting, I am leaving it fairly open on purpose. I could do Horror (which would be interesting for the Osteomancer and/or the Oneiromancer. Multiplanar would be nice if I went with Time and Warp. World being scared of mages (like in Dragon Age), it would be fun to use the Creation and Telekinesis for some really showy magic.

Current thought regardless of build is to use the Conjuration Sphere to make an absolutely terrifying and lethal companion in the form of a Swallow, Shrike, or Finch (main thing is to make a Diminutive Bird) using the Martial Companion archetype to grant it the Duelist Sphere (Long Cuts, Ooze Ichor, and Open Vein). Why is this so terrifying? Unless I miscalculated, it has +8 Size Bonus to Attack and AC, and that is excluding its insane Dex, and at that level, thanks to Long Cuts, a creature would need to heal 10 HP at once (so single effect, one round) or a DC 25 Heal check to stop the bleeding as a base (2 levels until it goes to 15 HP at once and a DC 30 Heal check). The bleed damage is 3d4+4 Bleed, thanks to open wounds and it's bleed stacks unlike most sources of bleed. That might not seem like much of an effect, but if I hit a mage with it (preferably a healer), the bleed forces a concentration check each round. Fun bit about being Diminutive, the bird can make Stealth checks while in the same square as the opponent, and it gets +12 to that check thanks to its size. I actually had an assassin character. Its actual damage is really low (without feats it is reduced to the minimum of 1 point of non-lethal damage, which as far as I recall, is still enough to trigger bleed (though I tend to punch it up to 5 lethal (Slashing) or so anyway.

I should point out that I post every day (my average is 2 a day, after 2 years (not sure how them changing servers affected it though), so I do play my character's in full (one of my best examples is my Aquatic Elf Dancing Blade Swashbuckler pirate) and am not usually the one to quit (I've only quit playing once, due to other games that were going on, and even moreso that combat was handled poorly. I've ended two game I was GMing because most of the players quit and while I did replace one player, when the others stepped away, I'd have to replace 3 more, which was basically the entire team). As mentioned previously, I never play full mages, which is why I want to try it out.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-29 at 02:20 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You already answered several of my questions before I asked them, so I'll go ahead and pitch the game I plan on running and see if it is for you.

Setting

Oathbound's 'The Forge' is a lush world of epic high fantasy where beings older than gods rule from their prisons, disparate peoples plucked from over a thousand worlds live and die beneath the light of twin suns and their sister moons, and dangerous beasts unseen in the greater multiverse roam the Seven Realms.

The world of the Forge is a massive, self-contained plane cut off from the rest of the multiverse. Beings may be drawn into the world through a number of different means, but none may leave by any means save by the grace of the Black Flock- the rulers of the plane- and they have little interest in lending mortals their aid.

Day and night are much different than on other worlds and exist in cycles that wax and wane, where the daylight hours sometimes last for weeks and some nights last for days at a time. The seasons are likewise alien, with seasons being milder and generally only lasting a week or so at a time in most of the Seven Realms. Oddly, the heavenly bodies of the Forge revolve around the world, as if the world were fixed in place.

The Forge is filled with a curious energy that can shape inhabitants in strange ways. What would normally take eons of evolution through millions of generations can sometimes occur within mere weeks or months in individuals. It's not uncommon to see new monsters spring up in a few years time and entire subspecies of existing races can emerge in a generation or two.

The world is divided into seven lands, each ruled by a member of the Black Flock.

Penance was once the most cosmopolitan and peaceful realm in the Forge and holds a city the size of a small continent nestled within tranquil fields and plains. In many ways that has not changed but, since Queen Israfel was deposed by Belus, the land has been in the grip of a mad tyrant. Beneath the city of Penance lie ruins built upon ruins, the remains of eons of dead cultures and extinct peoples piled upon themselves since the dawn of times. Even though the realm is now ruled by a madman, the markets of Penance still bustle with traffic from across the Forge. Priceless artifacts plundered from the ruins below Penance are sold alongside wondrous crafts, magical reagents, and exotic foodstuffs grown within the farmlands of the land.

Arena is undoubtedly one of the more harsh domains of the Forge. It is a vast desert of reddish sand where strength is the only thing that matters. Barbello, the bloodstained mistress of the realm, holds court within a vast arena where those who wish to treat with her must fight captured monsters and legions of trained slaves for a chance at obtaining her favor. Here, under the rule of the Angel of Blood, kindness is more scarce than water and no gift comes without being paid for dearly in blood, sweat, and tears.

Wildwood is a realm that more than lives up to it's name and consists of miles and miles of forests, jungles, and woodlands. Flora and fauna of nearly every possible sort live and grow here within the lush environments of the region. Civilization is more scarce here than in most realms, but it exists in small pockets. The master of this realm, Haiel the Huntsman, shapes the natural world according to his whims and lives for the glory of the hunt and kill. His creations stalk the woodlands and serve as both predator and prey as the whims of natural law dictate.

Eclipse is a land nestled within a deep crater that pierces miles into the earth, untouched by sunlight for eons. Here, laws are few and various factions rule without much interference from Colopitirion, the hedonistic lord of the realm. His near-lawless city is regarded as the bastion of culture now that Penance has fallen under the grip of Belus and it is a city ran by guilds and riddled with thieves. The vampires hold court within the city of Stygia and slaves are sent in droves to feed the hungers of the undying populace. Tribes of lycanthropes also roam the sunless forests and benighted crags of Eclipse, but are generally content to remain to themselves.

The Vault once had another name, but it was lost long ago when the land was destroyed by a wayward apprentice of the master of the realm, Nemamiah. What was once a place of wonder where magic was studied in ways that even gods outside of the Forge could never comprehend is now a frozen wasteland with empty, ruined cities inhabited only by the dead, silent constructs from an era long since past, and the dark mages that court the lord of this dead land. Nemamiah himself has only rarely been seen since the land's destruction and shuns contact with the living.

Anvil is a land of storm-lashed crags and peaks where the only safe haven is within the networks of caves that riddle the mountains like a honeycomb. Travelers rarely come here out of fear of the giant tribes and giant monsters that wander the peaks. Few have seen the lady of the realm and lived, but those who have describe Orif'elle as a beautiful and terrible goddess born on wings of gleaming white feathers that revels within the destructive chaos of the storm.

The Kiln is a mysterious land that flows from Anvil into a vast ocean. The most commonly-known fact about the land is that it is home to the largest volcano within the realm that is nestled in the middle of Anvil's mountain ranges. There are rumors of lush tropical paradises and wondrous underwater cities made of magically-reinforced glass and orichalchum, but few enough people can survive the trip through Anvil that most dismiss these claims as flights of fancy. The Kiln is unique in that it's lord, Bathkol, is no longer imprisoned within his land and wanders the Forge in pursuit of some mysterious endgame. What few records remain describe Bathkol as a deeply contemplative and peaceable member of the Black Flock up until the point he broke free of his chains and wandered into Penance to challenge his peer, Queen Israfel, in single combat.

Rules Rough Draft

• 11th level, possibly gestalt. Is that popular here?
    • Standard WBL (82,000 GP)
    • 30 point buy (40 if gestalt); no score lower than 8 or higher than 18 before racials.
    • Max HP+1/level
    • Nearly any published race. I prefer first-party races and the races from the publishers I mention later under what 3PP stuff is allowed in. I'm going to give a hard no to whacky things like Tarrasquelings, Flumphs, and Dogpeople though. I want the campaign to have some semblance of seriousness and having one of those as PCs is about the furthest thing from it.
    • If your race is underpowered- basically any Pathfinder race under 12 RP under the Race Builder- we can work on a fix. Given the Forge's propensity to mutate and evolve creatures within a single lifetime, it's not out of the question for that to have happened to your character.
    • You get a feat a level instead of every other level. There is also Elephant in the Room feat taxes.
    • Background Skills will be used in the game.
    • All alignments are legal, with a distinct preference for good or neutral ones. Evil alignments necessitate exceptional writing on an applicant's part for me to consider it.
    • Alignment restrictions on Barbarians and Bards do not exist. Paladins can be of any good alignment and Monks can be any lawful alignment, chaotic alignment, or true neutral; both of these will have their mechanics adjusted accordingly.
    • While your character can venerate any god they wish- and that can run the gamut of nearly anything since the Forge draws in people from all across the multiverse- it is not the gods that give your character power, it is the Forge itself. That means divine classes provide Domains, Mysteries, and what have you based on your character's beliefs and the Forge's mysterious whims. That means you could play as a Cleric of Pelor with the Destruction and Sun domains despite only one of those being in the actual deity's portfolio.
    • Planar travel is not allowed. In-world teleporting is allowed, but the Forge has been separated from the rest of the multiverse since the dawn of time and no mortal magic can breach that gap.
    • Variant Multiclass is allowed if gestalt isn't used and denied if it is.
    • If your character would normally be killed by an attack, they linger for 1 round before they actually die and can be healed normally during that small window. If it passes and they are not above their normal threshold, they die.
    • Fighters get Combat Stamina and are proficient with all weapon types, including exotic weapons.
    • Rogues get Skill Unlocks for free and bump the damage dice of daggers up to 1d6 and the crit range of daggers to 20/x4. You don't have to use daggers of course, but I wanted them to be better with daggers.
    • Rangers and other with access to Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain can change them up by spending 8 hours studying the type of creature or getting the lay of the land they wish to change to.
    • If you hit miss a creature's full AC, but hit their touch AC, you score a glancing blow that deals damage equal to 1+ your damage modifier (normally STR).
    • When you cast a spell, roll a d20. If you get a 20, your spell surges and gets +2CL and is automatically widened or empowered (your choice).
    • All 1st party books (No Leadership or related content though) and at least Dreamscarred Press, Drop Dead Studios, and Legendary Games 3rd party books, as well as the Oathbound books themselves, are fair game. I'm willing to strongly consider Little Red Goblin Games and Rite Publishing books allowed. Ask for anything not listed here.

The Characters

The following guidelines should be a commonality between every PC.

• Each PC is a native of the Forge. The setting may be designed so that PCs can be from any number of worlds, but that doesn't mean that I want a group of Clueless- to use a Planescape term- who know nothing about the Forge. I want to be able to describe things and not have to ask for a Knowledge check for basic things. It also means that PCs have more invested in the setting and world than someone who was just snatched from some other time and place. Now, that's not to say that their parents are natives, just that they are. Someone's father could be an Elf from Myth Drannor, for example, but the PC must be a native. That means that your character can have distinctive mannerisms from the realm of the ancestors, but still be born and raised in the Forge.
    • Each PC is a member of the guild known as Aventarius. Aventarius was formed by a human by the name of Eccran the Bold. Eccran was an adventurer from an unknown world and was snatched by one of the Black Fowl from his world three centuries ago. A good man at heart, he took it all in stride and did his best to make his way in the Forge. Because his only skill was being born with a silver tongue and a strong sword arm, he resumed his old craft and adventured across the Seven Realms of the Forge. He helped many people along the way and developed a ragtag band of comrades. They eventually formed Aventurius and grew into one of the most respectable guilds in the entirity of the Forge. Aventurius now has a guildhouse in every one of the Seven Realms. The guild takes on jobs from a wide range of clients but, by guild rules, refuses more sinister work like assassination, kidnapping, and slavery. The guild has made more than a few enemies over the years by refusing shady contracts, but it has managed to survive thanks to it's stellar reputation and the fact that it has many powerful patrons. (Basically think of this as the Pathfinder Society, but without shady leadership and a more welcoming atmosphere.)
    • Your character is not a reprehensible degenerate and should not evolve into one. Aventurius is not a guild that allows infamous criminals from across the Seven Realms, serial killers, small-scale tyrants, or other unsavory sorts into their ranks. Not every member is a shining beacon of morality and many are even on the evil end of the scale, but they all have some degree of respectability. That's not to say that your character couldn't be a thief from Eclipse or a former assassin that gave up on their craft long ago, but they do not allow individuals into their ranks that are unstable or active dangers to those around them.
    Last edited by The Unsent; 2020-03-31 at 07:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Devil

Well, as I mentioned (even the in the title of the thread), I was looking for a Spheres of Power/Might/Champions of the Spheres rule-set. That said, if I played a Gestalt Conscript/Incanter, it would get out of hand rather quickly, as I would get 40 talents as a base (2 free magic talents for taking a level in a casting class and 17 other magic talents, and 4 martial talents from a martial Tradition (though 2 would be equipment talents, and another 17 more martial talents, again as a base). I would have all good saves, full caster and practitioner level, shared Ability Score modifier for both classes, and d10 HD for HP as well. So not sure how that would work, as it literally covers all bases (even if I go with a low or average Int, several of the Martial Spheres grant free skill points.

As for setting, it actually reminds me of a combination of two settings I've been working on, though I only ran the one. The one I ran was a demiplane called Pandora with a city (which I called "The Box") built on a giant tesseract. The other setting had a background magic field after the first civilization in said setting destroyed itself as a result of their lust for power. The background field acts like a form of radiation which has infused all life with at least some form of mutation (certain mutations became consistent in certain regions and continued to breed true). It was thicker in certain areas and if it mutated a being enough, they would lose their capacity to think and become feral monsters. The mutations are referred to as "drift" with those who still retain thought and breed true called "drift-born" and the monsters called Chimera (borrows a bit from Exalted and the Would where the Fey live).
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-31 at 07:00 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Drop Dead Studios is the company behind the Spheres system and I placed them under the list of material that's fair game for use. So no worries about that.

I can assume that you aren't as interested in gestalt based on what you mentioned and that's completely fair. It was just an option I was willing to offer.

Do you have any questions, concerns, or requests?
    Last edited by The Unsent; 2020-03-31 at 07:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

The annoyed emoji is coincidental, I was/am on my phone and must have hit it accidentally as I was scrolling down. I actually never use emojis. And I am not annoyed, so sorry if it came across that way. I was just concerned about Gestalt. The rest sounded fine.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-31 at 06:59 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No worries! I put the tentative rules back up so you can give them another lookover and make sure you're fine with all of the houserules.

9. - Top - End - #9

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by The Unsent View Post
    No worries! I put the tentative rules back up so you can give them another lookover and make sure you're fine with all of the houserules.
    Ok, would you allow Advanced Talents, as one I am looking at is Time Clone? While I have the Conjuration Sphere, I took the Bound Creature Boon, which is essentially a permanently summoned companion. Interesting Conjuration lacks talents the give Evasion and the Improved version (and as far as I know, no martial talents that grant it either). I may have to delve into the Mind Sphere if there is any way to share senses. Right now, my Swallow Companion is essentially a delayed death (Hemomancers (Blood mages) are a hard counter against it though) via how difficult it is for stopping the bleeding. With Open Vein, it could put a Troll in a coma (they are not immune to bleed, and they only regenerate 5 damage, when 15 heal at once (meaning a singular effect, rather than multiple cures in a single round) is the only method of stopping it). The Swallow is my main non-magic physical attack (it cannot be dismissed or banished either, so it can pierce an antimagic field, as it is more of a called creature rather than a summoned one. Primary Spheres are Time and Warp, though probably put a little effort into Destruction, just in case. I have 15 talents to claim and potentially more dependent on feats, so at least I have some variety (in the past, I simply played an Inquisitor focusing on the Enhancement Sphere).

If I can't piece together a decent build, I may go Fey Adept and make an Oneiromancer (Dream Mage) using Illusion and Mind and possibly some version of Warp (so I can teleport from dreamer to dreamer or enter the dream world itself, that may need to fall under Spellcrafting.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-31 at 09:35 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

With everything going on in those house rules, and level 11, I also suggest no to gestalt.

Like BansheeXero, I also have a character that I'm itching to play. In my case, it's the Rajah class, a Path of War/Akashic leader-type and enabler.
    Semper ludens.

Last Watch * OOC * MAP
    The Moonscar * OOC

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

I think I'll switch to an Oneiromancer build. The Chronomancer is fine and very powerful, but feels too generic. This would be more fluff than anything, but rather than "shadow" as the resource Fey Adepts use, I like using "Dreamstuff" better. Contemplating if I can fit a few buffs for my Bound Companion for it, but may scrap it. It's main purpose was dealing with physical therapy and scouting.

@TheUnsent - I changed the title and header for this thread to help recruit.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-04-01 at 11:25 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

12. - Top - End - #12

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: High level Spheres/Champions campaign (PF 1)

Definitely interested as a player, I've got an Open Hand Conscript I'd love to play as
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I had an idea once for a fetchling prodigy and Eclipse sounds like a good place for him to have worked hard to get out of.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I would be very interested in this if it was gestalt... There always seem to be tons of interest in gestalt games, but maybe this game is for a different crowd? If it's not gestalt I would probably want to build a PoW character, maybe a bladecaster?
    Last edited by oyzar; 2020-04-01 at 01:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haven't posted here in a long while, but I'd also be interested as a player, in either gestalt or not. As a gestalt, I'd like to do a Taninim, from Rite Publishing's "In the Company of Dragons," with DRaconic Paragon on one side, and maybe Incanter or Sphere Sorcerer on the other. If not, possibly a Prodigy, Legendary Magus, or Legendary Shifter.

16. - Top - End - #16

Devil

@The Unsent - So, since you seem to play very, very fast and loose with your rules, I had a request. I wanted to play a Sidhe Noble, a race I still building. They are Fey. You mentioned that nearly any published race. While this race is not published, it would not stray outside of the race creator (well, maybe one small part to replace SLA's. I'd give Basic Magical Training: Fallen Fey, if you already have it, it becomes Advanced Magical Training, and when they take their first level in a casting class, it instead acts as Extra Magic Talent instead). I'll present the details when it is finished. Initially I went Human, but under your rule-set, it is underpowered.

My concept is called the Forgotten Prince, a Noble who was cast out of the Faerie court and wound up on the Forge.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'd definitely be interested in a higher level game that allowed Spheres etc. While I normally love gestalt, I wonder if that would get too crazy.

18. - Top - End - #18

Devil

@The Unsent - I feel for the sake of sanity, we should probably hold off on Gestalt, especially with Spheres. There are far too many issues that would arise if you go that route, especially if one combines 2 sphere classes (Full Martial and Full Caster). Giving gestalt characters more point buy points makes it even worse. Spheres on its own does not mix well with many other rule sets (for casting, while SoP may be more powerful early on when compared to the original system of magic, at level 7 onward, it grows substantially weaker than it). A lot of the overpowered stuff you seem to present for creation seems like a bit much. I am not sure what you would throw at us that would be all that challenging to deal with.

Sidhe Noble
    Medium Fey (2 RP)
    Low-light Vision (Part of Fey Package)
    Flexible - +2 Dex, +2 Cha (2 RP)
    Fey Damage Resistance - DR 3/Cold Iron (3 RP)
    Fey Heart - Start with Basic Magical Training with Fallen Fey. If you gain a level in a casting class, this instead acts a Extra Magical Talent. (3 RP)
    **Elven Immunities - Immune to sleep and +2 to saves vs spells and effects from the Mind Sphere (2 RP)
    Silver Tongue - Members of this race gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature’s attitude, they can do so up to three steps up rather than just two. (3 RP)
    Languages (Standard) - Start with Common and Sylvan. Gain extra languages from Intelligence modifier from the following - Aklo, Draconic, Elven, Gnome, Giant, Halfling, and Undercommon. (0 RP)

Total is 15 RP.
    I altered Elven Immunities, because Mind is the closest to Enchantment. I recognize that normally you need the Elf subtype as a prereq for it, but normally Fey have an even stronger resistance, if not full immunity to Mind-Affecting effects.
    I priced Fey Heart (which is listed in the Alternate Racial Traits section on the Spheres Wiki) based on what it replaced.

I may look into the Transformation and Improved Transformation Feats, if I have the space, so he can have a more exotic Faerie form, but right now, this is what I am submitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok'n'Roll View Post
    I'd definitely be interested in a higher level game that allowed Spheres etc. While I normally love gestalt, I wonder if that would get too crazy.
    Yeah, I pointed that out earlier to the GM, I'm prefer it without, particularly since he is making things even more powerful to begin with. It is his rough draft of stuff I think. Using Gestalt with Spheres is ridiculous on its own, let alone with the other additions. Playing a Gestalt Conscript/Incanter basically gives you absolutely everything, thus making it flavorless and no real conflict or challenge.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-04-02 at 10:06 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, I am saddened I did not get time to complete for the Isekai game that opened up a bit ago, but lo 'n behold another spheres game appears. So color me interested.

Leaning toward gestalt build, but single class is fine too - if such opinion matters.

Question tho. Are templates allowed?

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by oyzar View Post
    I would be very interested in this if it was gestalt... There always seem to be tons of interest in gestalt games, but maybe this game is for a different crowd? If it's not gestalt I would probably want to build a PoW character, maybe a bladecaster?
    This pretty much sums up my take as well. Been gaming for 35+ years now and gestalt opens up things that just aren't otherwise possible, which is fun IMO.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm interested: I'll wait till I get a better idea of what people are doing before I decide on psionics, SoM, what have you.
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Rules question: My character is an old woman. Do I go with
    1) Age is cosmetic (but the stats I pick should reflect it), or
    2) Rules as written - if you can find a way to mitigate old age, go ahead, or,
    3) Suffer, fool! Age penalties can not be mitigated.
    Semper ludens.

Last Watch * OOC * MAP
    The Moonscar * OOC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Can I get double weapon finesse (from pow) for free as part of eitr? Alternatively, can I move two weapons over into one hand, cast a spell, then move them back into two hands as free actions? I'm trying to make casting work with two weapon fighting, but it seems difficult under normal rules. Guess I'll pick up double weapon finesse as another feat tax (in addition to the two required for the prestige class) if neither of those are allowed.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I was looking to go Rogue possibly with Veiled Moon maneuvers from path of war. Quite a few of the maneuvers make reference to 'teleporting' to or otherwise moving through an ethereal plane. I just want to make sure this jives given the setting information.

I understand we're stuck on this plane barring divine intervention - not trying to find an end around. Am I okay in taking these maneuvers ?

example:
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative...l-Reminiscence

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Definitely interested! I'm a fan of gestalt as well, but either works

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I get double weapon finesse (from pow) for free as part of eitr? Alternatively, can I move two weapons over into one hand, cast a spell, then move them back into two hands as free actions? I'm trying to make casting work with two weapon fighting, but it seems difficult under normal rules. Guess I'll pick up double weapon finesse as another feat tax (in addition to the two required for the prestige class) if neither of those are allowed.
    If you are building a spherecaster, you can just not need somatic components
    Semper ludens.

Last Watch * OOC * MAP
    The Moonscar * OOC

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

So, two ideas. One would have been a gladiator in Arena, starting from absolute nothing. Originally just a serving girl, she thrown into one of the lesser pits as a joke, and surprised everyone, herself included, by being the one left standing at the end. She kept winning, and winning with deliberate style, enough to draw the attention of patrons, including a fae of darkness, who she learned a small amount of magic from. In one final bloodbout, she won enough to leave, and has been trying to figure out who she is when she isn't killing people for sport, in the process joining the guild in order to try to put her talents towards something positive. Mechanically, this would be a SoM/SoP rogue, focused on intimidation and being untouchable.

The other idea would be a scholarly type, who was part of an expedition from a Penance guild into any of the very wild, dangerous areas (which frankly could be Wildwood, The Vault, Anvil or the Kiln), and something went Very Very Wrong. She got stuck surviving on her own, the only one left out of the expedition, and spent several years working her way up to the trip back. She came back to her guild having written her off as dead and the expedition not worth the money to recover, and left for a guild that wouldn't make that call. Mechanically, three different ways to do this: either a SoM ranger focused on alchemy, spears, and the guardian spear, acting as a tank, a investigator again focused on alchemy and some other things, using trickery and know how to get through a fight, or (the most out there) an Aegis who evolved into a symbiotic relationship with something that forms the suit.
    LGBTA+itP

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've been piecing together a cleaner recruitment over the last two days in-between getting ready for this two-week lockdown that's going into effect tomorrow in Georgia, so sorry if I haven't been particularly responsive.

Some of the questions have overlap and have important answers, so I'm not going to address individual's for rule concerns, but the subjects themselves.

Advanced/Legendary Talents: Depends on the talent in question. Most of them are fine as-is. There are a handful that I despise and normally ban though.

Custom Races: I generally say no to custom races.

Templates: No templates are allowed that you aren't granted by some other in-game mechanic. Templates are balanced for monsters and hard to "eyeball" to see if they have an appropriate CR/level cost.

Age: I don't really have a preference for how age works. I am willing to let people either gain both the aging bonuses and penalties or neither of them. So if you want to play as a really buff elderly barbarian, that's on the table.

Changes to Spells and Supernatural Abilities: The Forge's magical lattice only has a few changes to magic, but they are significant for certain schools of magic. If I mention that something is Warded, that means that the nature of the magical Oaths used in the Forge's creation will impede that type of magic. Casters who do attempt to cast those spells not only take ability score damage- no save- to their primary casting stat, but also must attempt a modified Will save to even have the spell take effect. Failure leaves the caster stunned for several rounds. I'll put the exact mechanics from the book in the finalized recruitment. Suffice it to say, concepts built around the ideas might need to be reworked.

1. Alignment-based spells that can be used to detect a creature's alignment either directly- like Detect Evil- or indirectly- like Holy Word- are Warded.
    2. Spells utilizing direct and explicit divine intervention from a deity are Warded. While this doesn't apply to divine magic as a whole, it applies to things like Pelor's Hand or Summon Divine Avatar- 3.5 spells I'm using as an example.
    3. Spells that may be used to obtain forbidden information are Warded. So Speak with Dead, Discern Lie, and Discern Location are part of those as well.
    4. Spells that involve traveling to or from planes other than the Ethereal and Shadow Planes automatically fail. The Forge has it's own coterminous Ethereal and Shadow Planes.
    5. Summoning spells are not Warded, but they do deserve special mention. Beings summoned through summoning magic cannot leave the Forge and may react adversely to being stranded once the magic that called them ends. Spells like Planar Ally can be ignored by the being called upon and may fizzle out.
    6. Teleportation Spells are not Warded, but they also deserve special mention. They only operate within each Domain and, if a teleportation spell involving either the Ethereal or Shadow Planes, the specific one tied to the Domain they are in.. So you can't use Teleport Without Error to travel from Arena to Penance, but you could use it to travel from the fields of Penance to it's capital. The Grey Lands between the realms counts as it's own Domain for this purpose.
    Last edited by The Unsent; 2020-04-02 at 10:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I think the big thing people are waiting on is whether we're doing gestalt or not. It'll massively impact what we can and can't do with our characters.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the big thing people are waiting on is whether we're doing gestalt or not. It'll massively impact what we can and can't do with our characters.
    I think they're still putting together full chargen rules?

Would you mind expanding a bit on the Kiln, the Gray Lands, and Anvil, Unsent?
    Last edited by Eldest; 2020-04-03 at 05:28 AM.
    LGBTA+itP