Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Closed to new interest] Getaway - Pathfinder 1E Eberron (3rd Party welcome)

Spoiler: Original post
    Show
    Gauging interest on a Pathfinder 1E Eberron game. Considering GMing such a game, though I'd also be interested in playing in one.

Definite:
    -Pathfinder 1st Edition
    -Eberron
    -3rd party included (Spheres of Power/Might, Psionics, Path of War, Pact Magic, Akashic Mysteries, etc.)
    -PBP, either on the forums or on Discord

Prefer:
    -More noir atmosphere over swashbuckling adventure
    -No saving the world - smaller scale, even personal goals and grudges
    -Low to mid levels, maybe E6

Edit:

Spoiler: The Pitch
    Show
    You've known Halden for some time. Halden is a cheat at cards, a drunk, an unfaithful lover, vindictive, snide, and not much to look at, but he has one redeeming quality: Halden is a broker for the kind of work you do, and he always makes sure you get paid.

The kind of work you do is...complicated. Halden normally advertises your little group as "fixers." Sometimes encompasses everything from collecting debts, providing extra muscle at large gatherings, intimidating people, disposing of inconvenient objects, moving people across borders, mild espionage, moderate treason, and even - once - severe arson. It's not that you're a bad person, really, but you have a set of skills and a past that have predisposed you to a rougher lifestyle.

Well, one day, Halden calls you in to his grimy office in Throneport, and says he's got a client who needs absolute anonymity. He doesn't trust anyone else with a job like this, and he's calling in every favor for you to take it. The request goes like this:

1. One by one, your group is to move to Rygar's gift, a relatively new town in the Lhazaar Principalities built on Seventh Island. Your travel will be arranged and paid for.
    2. Integrate yourself into the community - find work, find a place to stay, and so on.
    3. Wait for further instructions.
    4. You may receive directions in the positive (i.e. get a job on a fishing boat, deliver this package to this person) or in the negative (i.e. stop drinking at a particular establishment, do not wear red tomorrow).
    5. You will be paid separately for each successfully completed task.
    6. You will receive a weekly stipend of 125g as a retainer, regardless of whether a task is given to you or not.

Well, your eyes about bugged out of your head when you heard 125g a week for relaxing on an island somewhere far away. For nothing! Almost less than nothing. This wasn't some stakeout job where you'd be stuck in a tiny apartment staring out a window for days; you were supposed to go out and have a life on the island.

Your group agreed to it. Some hesitantly, some enthusiastically, but you all agreed in the end. Now, you've been here for a few months, and a bit of a routine has creeped in. About once every other week, you'll get a simple task, and you'll see an extra hundred gold in your weekly pay (usually arriving by sea from one of Halden's business monikers).

Still, the questions remain: Who hired you? What are they really paying you all this money for?

And after months here, how much does life you're building on Rygar's Gift mean to you?

Here's a 16 Answers:

1. Pathfinder, 1st edition
    2. Eberron
    3. ~4 players. Possibly alternates, depending on interest.
    4. Discord PBP.
    5. Level 4. This will be an "E8" campaign.
    6. 3,000g. We will be using the Automatic Bonus Progression Resistance +1, Armor attunement +1, weapon attunement +1 for 4th level.
    7. 1st party Pathfinder and 3rd party is allowed, especially Psionics, Akashic Mysteries, Path of War, Spheres of Power, Spheres of Might, Pact Magic, etc. The original summoner, unchained summoner, and anything with an eidolon are soft banned; players interested in these character concepts are encouraged to use the Conjuration sphere for a similar effect.
    8. No specific classes sought (though your character should be able to run on the shady side of the law).
    9. All core, standard, featured, psionic, akashic, and Eberron races are allowed. Other races allowed with GM permission.
    10. 20 pb. Max HP first level, rouded-up average each level after (4 hp for a d6, 5 hp for a d8, 6 hp for a d10, 7 hp for a d12).
    11. Players can be of any alignment, as long as they can work with the party. All alignment restrictions for classes should be considered a suggestion, not a rule.
    12. Multiclassing is fine.
    13. Dice will be rolled on Discord.
    14. Alternate rules:
    -Automatic bonus progression, as previously mentioned.
    -Background skills is in effect.
    -2 traits.
    -Any race with a bonus to one stat and a penalty to another can use a bonus to cancel a penalty out. For example, a dwarf could drop either her bonus to Constitution or her bonus to Wisdom to negate her penalty to Charisma.
    -Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting are considered one feat that scales as you meet the further prerequisites. Enchanting a pair of weapons for the purpose of two-weapon fighting (or double weapons) is the same as enchanting a single weapon.
    -Pets, animal companions, etc. go on their owner’s initiative. The GM will not target or attack any familiar or other creature that does not involve itself in combat or dangerous situations.
    -Any spell or effect that heals hit point damage can be "averaged" (like taking 10/20) or rolled. This choice is made before rolling: 1d4 - 3 hp, 1d6 - 4 hp, 1d8 - 6 hp, 1d10 - 8 hp, 1d12 - 10 hp
    -Item slots do not matter. It doesn’t matter if you have gloves of incredible dexterity +2, but want another pair of gloves; one magically turns into any open slot available. A ring might split in two and become a pair of bracelets, a belt might shrink and become a headband, but it doesn’t matter: It’s all part of the magic.
    -Non-magical arrows, crossbow bolts, and sling ammunition will generally not need to be tracked or purchased. Non-magical bullets for firearms will still need to be purchased or crafted.
    -You can always trade a trait for a +1 trait bonus to a skill and that skill as a class skill.
    -1 drawback for 1 additional trait is fine. You are not required to have a drawback.
    -Leadership is banned
    15. Short background required (see below).
    16. Mostly roleplaying with occasional combat. Don't expect random encounters.

Background
    Your background should answer the following questions; each answer can be a single sentence.

When someone looks at your character, what do they remember? AND/OR What's visually distinctive about your character?
    What's an important event in your character’s life that shaped who they are today?
    What's something your character wants to do? This could be a long-term goal, short-term goal, idle daydream, secret desire, etc.
    Who is one living person important in your character’s life? This could be a family member, friend, mentor, enemy, rival, love interest/partner, etc.
    How did you end up working with someone like Halden? AND/OR What something your character is running from?
    What has your character been doing at Rygar's Gift?

Spoiler: Campaign Playlist for inspiration
    Show

https://youtu.be/20zyUYOuk4Y - Cafe Jegog by Ricardo Gallardo

https://youtu.be/b7CUOa7wsd0 - Everybody Wants to Rule the World covered by NSP

https://youtu.be/h613Jrtd5EE - World Gong Crazy by Han Han

https://youtu.be/E5ofVsxTPoc - The Stranger by Billy Joel

https://youtu.be/wfLOt5P6nSk - Everybody Knows covered by Sigrid

https://youtu.be/7hfD9CHmj3U - I Walk the Line covered by Scott McFarnon

https://youtu.be/l4XZWZ91kfc - Gun Street Girl by Tom Waits

https://youtu.be/63JjmITR5Ns - Bang Goes the Knighthood by The Divine Comedy

https://bitterruin.bandcamp.com/track/soldier - Soldier by Bitter Ruin

https://jasonwebley.bandcamp.com/tra...ry-of-violence - History of Violence by Jason Webley
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2020-04-04 at 10:59 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Interest Check: Pathfinder 1E Eberron + 3rd Party

Eberron and spheres? I'd be down as a player. Warforged 4evar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say, "Very Yes."

(Though not particularly a fan of E6.)
    Last edited by Rokku; 2020-03-28 at 01:11 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I would say, "Very Yes."

(Though not particularly a fan of E6.)
    The E6 in particular would be to keep things from feeling like the players were invincible. I've done E8 before and enjoyed it.
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I would be interested.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I might be interested, depending on the style of game.
    I tend to prefer less combat and more social. I also enjoy games with focus or opportunity to build things- whether literally (creating new magical devices, making a town, etc) or more figuratively (researching magic, growing an organization or running a business).
    So if its a game more along lines like that than save the world/dungeon delve, I'd definitely be interested.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd be not only totally down for anything generally noir, but especially something a little more semi-permanent like AmberVael's ideas. I've always been looking for somewhere to play a Warforged or Changeling, possibly a Warforged Scout for something a little more left-field. E6 or E8 would be good too.

EDIT: Thinking it over, any sort of business-y, growing an organisation type game is definitely gnawing at me, and I would love to play that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Omoikane13; 2020-03-28 at 12:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Posting interest as a player. Ever since DDO I've always been a fan of Eberron.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Definitely a fan of Eberron, noir, SoP, and E6/8.

My player profile.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrm. So I've got a campaign I've been working on for when my IRL group gets back together. It was planned to go into a more typical adventure, but that's at the very end of the campaign. Something like this wouldn't need a cinematic ending like I had planned for that (it was also meant to tie together 10 years of campaigns we've been doing together).

The initial pitch, though, goes like this:

You've known Halden for some time. Halden is a cheat at cards, a drunk, an unfaithful lover, vindictive, snide, and not much to look at, but he has one redeeming quality: Halden is a broker for the kind of work you do, and he always makes sure you get paid.

The kind of work you do is...complicated. Halden normally advertises your little group as "fixers." Sometimes encompasses everything from collecting debts, providing extra muscle at large gatherings, intimidating people, disposing of inconvenient objects, moving people across borders, mild espionage, moderate treason, and even - once - severe arson. It's not that you're a bad person, really, but you have a set of skills and a past that have predisposed you to a rougher lifestyle.

Well, one day, Halden calls you in to his grimy office in Throneport, and says he's got a client who needs absolute anonymity. He doesn't trust anyone else with a job like this, and he's calling in every favor for you to take it. The request goes like this:

1. One by one, your group is to move to Rygar's gift, a relatively new town in the Lhazaar Principalities built on Seventh Island. Your travel will be arranged and paid for.
    2. Integrate yourself into the community - find work, find a place to stay, and so on.
    3. Wait for further instructions.
    4. You may receive directions in the positive (i.e. get a job on a fishing boat, deliver this package to this person) or in the negative (i.e. stop drinking at a particular establishment, do not wear red tomorrow).
    5. You will be paid separately for each successfully completed task.
    6. You will receive a weekly stipend of 125g as a retainer, regardless of whether a task is given to you or not.

Well, your eyes about bugged out of your head when you heard 125g a week for relaxing on an island somewhere far away. For nothing! Almost less than nothing. This wasn't some stakeout job where you'd be stuck in a tiny apartment staring out a window for days; you were supposed to go out and have a life on the island.

Your group agreed to it. Some hesitantly, some enthusiastically, but you all agreed in the end. Now, you've been here for a few months, and a bit of a routine has creeped in. About once every other week, you'll get a simple task, and you'll see an extra hundred gold in your weekly pay (usually arriving by sea from one of Halden's business monikers).

Still, the questions remain: Who hired you? What are they really paying you all this money for?

And after months here, how much does life you're building on Rygar's Gift mean to you?
    Sound interesting?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds pretty cool to me!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sounds very interesting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Ooh. That’s a cool pitch.

At work right now, but I’m interested!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Ooh, noir and the wrong side of the law. I am loving the sound of that!

My player profile.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

So noir in the Carribean? Yeah, I can do that.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I hear Tahiti is a magical place. Long as the drinks have little umbrellas in them, I'm on board.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so a few questions:

1. I normally GM in an Eberron/Golarion combined world (separate material planes that can be traveled to under certain planar conditions). This story would take place in Eberron, but players would be able to have backstories from Golarion. Are people interested in this, or should I cut it for this campaign?

2. I planned this originally to have some connections to previous IRL campaigns in Eberron and Golarion. Some are minor references (no changes needed), but some of them are more in-depth. There are two major world events that characters in this campaign would have heard of. Do people want to play in a "fresh" Eberron or one with the effects of a previous campaign active?

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Ok, so a few questions:

1. I normally GM in an Eberron/Golarion combined world (separate material planes that can be traveled to under certain planar conditions). This story would take place in Eberron, but players would be able to have backstories from Golarion. Are people interested in this, or should I cut it for this campaign?

2. I planned this originally to have some connections to previous IRL campaigns in Eberron and Golarion. Some are minor references (no changes needed), but some of them are more in-depth. There are two major world events that characters in this campaign would have heard of. Do people want to play in a "fresh" Eberron or one with the effects of a previous campaign active?
    1. Not bothered by it but unlikely to use it personally.

2. That would depend on what those 2 events are probably.

My player profile.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    1. Not bothered by it but unlikely to use it personally.

2. That would depend on what those 2 events are probably.
    Yeah,

The two major events, if you're interested:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Sora Teraza (of the Daughters of Sora Kell) prophesied of one who would be the king of the people of Droaam. How and why Droaam, who already had three queens and a slew of warlords, needed another leader is unclear. King Drock, the runed half giant who was claimed to be the fulfillment of this prophesy, was working as a Daask tough prior to his sudden coronation. He does seems to have improved relations with the continent of Khorvaire, but many see him as a distraction from the machinations of the Daughters.

2. The Mark of Death has resurfaced in dramatic fashion. The current only known Siberys heir is an ancient elven woman styling herself as Xanaphia ir'Vol. Xanaphia was elected to the Sharn city council shortly before her mark manifested and has fashioned a safe zone within Sharn for others starting to manifest the Mark.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

The first seems like it would be way too far away from the campaign area to make a whole lot of difference.

The second one could definitely be interesting, especially given the criminal aspect of the game.

My player profile.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Both are fine by me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Ok, so a few questions:

1) Pretty disinterested. I'm a fan of Eberron, not so much Golarion.

2) I don't mind either of these, though I imagine the larger effects of them would be well outside of the scope of the game you've described. Death resurfacing seems potentially relevant, but beyond that...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also unlikely to pay any attention to the Golarion stuff. As for the other events, it's your game man.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't look like people are interested the characterization options, and the more I think about it, the previous plot lines were callbacks for characters who would understand them or were tied into the eventual "cinematic" ending. Since we're not heading towards that ending, and no one except me would get the callbacks, it becomes a bit self-indulgent. Eberron will assume to be "default" Eberron, and I'll introduce customized characters and concepts as normal.

Here's a 16 Answers:

1. Pathfinder, 1st edition
    2. Eberron
    3. ~4 players. Possibly alternates, depending on interest.
    4. Discord PBP.
    5. Level 4
    6. 3,000g. We will be using the Automatic Bonus Progression Resistance +1, Armor attunement +1, weapon attunement +1 for 4th level.
    7. 1st party Pathfinder and 3rd party is allowed, especially Psionics, Akashic Mysteries, Path of War, Spheres of Power, Spheres of Might, Pact Magic, etc. The original summoner, unchained summoner, and anything with an eidolon are soft banned; players interested in these character concepts are encouraged to use the Conjuration sphere for a similar effect.
    8. No specific classes sought (though your character should be able to run on the shady side of the law).
    9. All core, standard, featured, psionic, akashic, and Eberron races are allowed. Other races allowed with GM permission.
    10. 20 pb. Max HP first level, rouded-up average each level after (4 hp for a d6, 5 hp for a d8, 6 hp for a d10, 7 hp for a d12).
    11. Players can be of any alignment, as long as they can work with the party. All alignment restrictions for classes should be considered a suggestion, not a rule.
    12. Multiclassing is fine.
    13. Dice will be rolled on Discord using a bot.
    14. Alternate rules:
    -Automatic bonus progression, as previously mentioned.
    -Background skills is in effect.
    -2 traits.
    -Any race with a bonus to one stat and a penalty to another can use a bonus to cancel a penalty out. For example, a dwarf could drop either her bonus to Constitution or her bonus to Wisdom to negate her penalty to Charisma.
    -Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting are considered one feat that scales as you meet the further prerequisites. Enchanting a pair of weapons for the purpose of two-weapon fighting (or double weapons) is the same as enchanting a single weapon.
    -Pets, animal companions, etc. go on their owner’s initiative. The GM will not target or attack any familiar or other creature that does not involve itself in combat or dangerous situations.
    -Any spell or effect that heals hit point damage can be "averaged" (like taking 10/20) or rolled. This choice is made before rolling: 1d4 - 3 hp, 1d6 - 4 hp, 1d8 - 6 hp, 1d10 - 8 hp, 1d12 - 10 hp
    --Item slots do not matter. It doesn’t matter if you have gloves of incredible dexterity +2, but want another pair of gloves; one magically turns into any open slot available. A ring might split in two and become a pair of bracelets, a belt might shrink and become a headband, but it doesn’t matter: It’s all part of the magic.
    -Non-magical arrows, crossbow bolts, and sling ammunition will generally not need to be tracked or purchased. Non-magical bullets for firearms will still need to be purchased or crafted.
    -Leadership is banned
    15. Short background required (see below).
    16. Mostly roleplaying with occasional combat. Don't expect random encounters.

Background
    Your background should answer the following questions; each answer can be a single sentence.

When someone looks at your character, what do they remember? AND/OR What's visually distinctive about your character?
    What's an important event in your character’s life that shaped who they are today?
    What's something your character wants to do? This could be a long-term goal, short-term goal, idle daydream, secret desire, etc.
    Who is one living person important in your character’s life? This could be a family member, friend, mentor, enemy, rival, love interest/partner, etc.
    How did you end up working with someone like Halden? AND/OR What something your character is running from?
    What has your character been doing on Rygar's Gift?

Edit: Added one more question.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2020-03-28 at 08:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder 1E Eberron (3rd Party welcome)

Okay, putting a Tiefling Hedgewitch together.

My player profile.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's been a while since I've looked at anything Eberron but I must say this has me interested. Especially breaking away from more combat focus at least that's what this sounds like to me. Not quite sure what I want to make yet but with the slew of options available I am down for anything.

Also is this e6? cause the 16 doesn't say.
    Last edited by Nishai; 2020-03-28 at 08:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

Is it safe to assume that things like Magical Knack that increase Caster Level don't work with SoP?
    Last edited by FinnDarkblade; 2020-03-28 at 08:51 PM.

My player profile.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Is it safe to assume that things like Magical Knack that increase Caster Level don't work with SoP?
    Correct. There are original traits that boost caster levels for specific spheres instead.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

So a Kalashtar Symbiat seems like a gimme. Any chance I can trade some racials for sphere abilities? Mindlink for Mind sphere for example, Wild Talent for... something.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    So a Kalashtar Symbiat seems like a gimme. Any chance I can trade some racials for sphere abilities? Mindlink for Mind sphere for example, Wild Talent for... something.
    Sounds good to me. Let me think of an appropriate tradeoff