New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by cigaw View Post
    Oh, forgot about this. Here's a d20 to try and identify whatever it is we heard howling in the woods:

(1d20)[15].

Not sure what skill, if any, applies.
    Same, in case it is nature. (1d20)[15]
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Please tell me if I am being overly dramatic. I just felt it was appropriate for such a sheltered kid like Senna.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

(Over)dramatic is good!
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Did Gorion give us extra money or is that already accounted for in our starting gold? Because I spent all my starting gold
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

I mean we will return to plunder his remains lay his body to rest, right?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by purepolarpanzer View Post
    Did Gorion give us extra money or is that already accounted for in our starting gold? Because I spent all my starting gold
    Factored into your starting gold I'm afraid. Not much call for candlekeep denizens to carry around bedrolls, torches and rations ya know.

Edit: Are you plunderingrecovering/burying Gorion's body? Probably best to come to an agreement on that one.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-03-31 at 01:56 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

As a player, I think we should. But I did not think Aintas would do it.

But informally, we should.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn is practical enough to take a look, but wouldn't know what might be of more or less value. OOC I want da loot.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, we have to do something about Gorion's body. Either take it back to Candlekeep or bury it where it lies.

edit: So as to not double-post I've done some rolls here:
    • Stealth: 11
    • Perception: 19
    • Investigation: 23

My suggestion is we scope out the bodies real quick, camp out somewhere safe, bury the body tomorrow morning and then beeline to the Friendly Arm Inn.

Melian will gladly Detect Magic on all recovered items.
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-03-31 at 03:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I..... what are you guys doing!? Vyvian just said you couldn't leave his body there. Not act like murder-hobos and loot it but leave the body behind so we can't bury it. Just take the whole body. You can search it before we do the burial, rather than when things are hunting us in the woods. It takes way more effort and time to search through his things in the darkness than it does to just pick the dang thing up and take it with you.

Seriously, she will probably stab you if she turns around and sees you guys are taking five minutes to rifle through his belongings and then leave the body behind instead of the 6 seconds it should take you guys to just pick it up and run with it.

Edit: Actually screw it I'll just do an IC post on this subject since apparently there were a half dozen posts about sitting there not picking up the body and ignoring that things are actively in the woods that are threats to us while you all just sit there.

Edit 2: I apologize if that was a bit much. I actually found myself getting a bit upset on my character's behalf. *shrug*
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-31 at 05:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Have you ever carried someone, even a frail-ish old man? Even with a relatively well build, this stuff is exhausting. Then again, if we play without the carrying capacity siderule, his weight is of no concern. (If we do, I need to reconsider Senna's armor choice anyhow.)

I kinda want a decision on how hard it is. Are we going realistic, or are we going BG realistic that it is just an item of considerable weight in your inventory.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-03-31 at 05:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Have you ever tried to pull out and sort the belongings of a dead body in the dark in the wilderness? That also takes a bit of time and effort.

Though more to the point, Vyvian doesn't care if it's hard to carry the body. There's several people to do it and it's the man who raised her and all of them. She'd be demanding you do it if he was built like a body builder and on fire.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-31 at 05:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I..... what are you guys doing!? Vyvian just said you couldn't leave his body there. Not act like murder-hobos and loot it but leave the body behind so we can't bury it. Just take the whole body. You can search it before we do the burial, rather than when things are hunting us in the woods. It takes way more effort and time to search through his things in the darkness than it does to just pick the dang thing up and take it with you.

Seriously, she will probably stab you if she turns around and sees you guys are taking five minutes to rifle through his belongings and then leave the body behind instead of the 6 seconds it should take you guys to just pick it up and run with it.

Edit: Actually screw it I'll just do an IC post on this subject since apparently there were a half dozen posts about sitting there not picking up the body and ignoring that things are actively in the woods that are threats to us while you all just sit there.

Edit 2: I apologize if that was a bit much. I actually found myself getting a bit upset on my character's behalf. *shrug*
    I get where you are coming from, but Caelyn has an 8 Stength, as does Melian. If someone is going to haul the body, someone with a strength score has to volunteer.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Have you ever carried someone, even a frail-ish old man? Even with a relatively well build, this stuff is exhausting. Then again, if we play without the carrying capacity siderule, his weight is of no concern. (If we do, I need to reconsider Senna's armor choice anyhow.)

I kinda want a decision on how hard it is. Are we going realistic, or are we going BG realistic that it is just an item of considerable weight in your inventory.
    I usually play loose with it - as long as you're not trying to carry adamantine doors around I'm not going to look too closely at how much you're carrying for equipment. Likewise if you want to have a few of you carry Gorion between you, that's totally reasonable, even with the not-high strength scores of the group (excepting Aintas). Problem shared is a problem halved and all that.

Let's keep IC and OOC reasonably separate guys.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Let's keep IC and OOC reasonably separate guys.
    Yup, sorry about that. Entirely my bad.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'd figured our plan was to find shelter and come back for the body later.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

AIntas volunteered. I think he can carry him.

18. - Top - End - #78

Yikes, I think we're all talking across each other but trying to accomplish the same thing. I do apologize for my part in trying to get a post out quickly before work and glossing over some IC stuff - my understanding was we'd bury the body.

We'll hit our stride as a group soon; growing pains and all that.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

If possible I'd like to have a scene between Vyvian and Aintas at some point later when they would have stopped moving, at least for a few minutes.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    If possible I'd like to have a scene between Vyvian and Aintas at some point later when they would have stopped moving, at least for a few minutes.
    Why not now? It could be that they stopped to get water. After all, few minute stops could happen at any time.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Yikes, I think we're all talking across each other but trying to accomplish the same thing. I do apologize for my part in trying to get a post out quickly before work and glossing over some IC stuff - my understanding was we'd bury the body.

We'll hit our stride as a group soon; growing pains and all that.
    It sort of happens in PbP doesn't it? We don't have time to deliberate too much, so we post and iron things out as we go.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Trying to get an IC post out but forums are acting up a bit, bear with me.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

How long has our party traveled? Have we crossed, for example, to the north?

Survival check (1d20+4)[10] Also, Aintas has the wanderer feature where "You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth."
    That should help, right? Perhaps he has found food and water for the party as they moved?

EDIT: Poor Aintas. Now a 6!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Senna has blessed Aintas. I thought you'd want to make an Athletics check for Gorion, but apparently you did not need it. Maybe use the d4 to improve your survival result then?

25. - Top - End - #85

Holding off on an IC post for a couple questions:

1. Does Melian identify the pin or know anything about it? If needed, History/Arcana: (1d20+5)[20]

2. Can Melian keep and/or copy from Gorion's spellbook? Perfectly ok if not, I'm not sure how this might affect balance even if Melian can't cast most of the spells just yet. If that's the case I can come up with an excuse for not using it like it erased itself after his death or something like "Gorion must be buried with it like a warrior with his weapons".

Haven't seen that map in a veeeeeery long time lol
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-04-01 at 10:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    How long has our party traveled? Have we crossed, for example, to the north?

Survival check [roll0] Also, Aintas has the wanderer feature where "You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth."
    That should help, right? Perhaps he has found food and water for the party as they moved?

EDIT: Poor Aintas. Now a 6!
    You're around here:
    Spoiler
    Show

Most of the travel was by road, but you've deviated a bit at night (both with and without Gorion). You're looking at about half a day's travel to High Hedge, a day or so for Beregost, and 1.5-2 days for Friendly Arm Inn. Assuming no further detours.

And yeah you could have scrounged up food/water on the journey from Candlekeep.

Holding off on an IC post for a couple questions:

1. Does Melian identify the pin? If needed, History/Arcana: [roll0]

2. Can Melian keep and/or copy from Gorion's spellbook? Perfectly ok if not, I'm not sure how this might affect balance even if Melian can't cast most of the spells just yet. If that's the case I can come up with an excuse for not using it like it erased itself after his death or something like "Gorion must be buried with it like a warrior with his weapons".

Haven't seen that map in a veeeeeery long time lol
    Spoiler: Pin Identification
    Show
    It's a very old, well worn pin of the Harpers, a semi-secret organisation of do-gooders who operate up and down the Sword Coast primarily fighting villains and stopping schemes

Spellbook is magically locked, apparently to Gorion. It's the sort of thing that could be undone with time and study if you want to make the effort.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I am intentionally slowing down my posting rate to reduce our discord and to give others a chance to post.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

So, since we need two days to get to the inn, I say we find a spot to camp and then push on, off the road. Since we do not know what the other places are, I vote we keep off them.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    So, since we need two days to get to the inn, I say we find a spot to camp and then push on, off the road. Since we do not know what the other places are, I vote we keep off them.
    Seconded. Might as well head straight to the plot Friendly Arms Inn and follow our father's last wishes. I am also trying not to post too frequently, though it is hard. I'm out of work for another 30 days due to a state of emergency, and I've little else to do. If Caelyn seems very responsive and talkative, you can thank Covid-19.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, straight to the Arm sounds good to me. It doesn't make sense IC to go wandering off to poke all the plot points before we talk to the Harpers.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-04-01 at 04:21 PM.