New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Odd Ways to Deal with Something

I was just reminded of the time my party was fighting an Invisible enemy, and none of us had any way to reveal the invisible person. Except for me, now the issue was, I was a Druid/Rogue. Which meant my spell save dc was garbo, so casting Faerie Fire wasn't going to work. So instead I Wild Shaped into a Giant Spider to point to where the invisible person was. I am curious to know if other people have similar 'well this was happening and this worked' scenarios.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Odd Ways to Deal with Something

Our party was facing a door with no visible locks, made of solid stone and effectively impossible to break down. We tried to find multiple ways to open it.

Then the sorcerer just cast enlarge/reduce on it to make the door much smaller allowing the entire group to just push it off it's hinges and walk through the doorway.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Invisible assassin trying to kill the local lord. He got in through the mansion's kitchen entrance before getting caught by our Ranger's silent alarm. Our Thief Rogue booked it to the area and used his Quick Hands to toss some nearby flour everywhere. Footprints revealed his location before the Rogue used his Action to throw more at the assassin. Assassin loses Surprise (no more crit-strike), is no longer Hidden, and I didn't even consider him Invisible by that point.

Sure, my invisible assassin was easily dealt with in like 2 rounds, but it was one of my proudest moments as a DM.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-03-28 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I once had a Wizard character sinking in quicksand and I couldn't pull myself out. My party members were too far away to get me out in time, and I was in real trouble. So I cast Web, and got myself stuck in my own spell so I wouldn't sink any farther. The rest of the party arrived a couple of rounds later to haul me out.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?