Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Want to Play an Adventure Path? (5e or Pathfinder)

Spoiler: Old Description
    Show
    Hi everybody! Like many people in the world, I'm stuck indoors with not much to do and bored. So I've decided to GM a PbP game. I haven't been the best at it in the past, because I normally don't have the time and I'm not that inventive. However, the whole "quarantine" thing has solved my biggest problem! As for the second, why not rely on the salvation of the uncreative GM: a prewritten adventure path? Because I've mostly played custom campaigns, I don't have an adventure in mind, which means I'm looking for suggestions. So, tell me what you want to play!

Few notes:

1. If you can explain why the adventure(s) you're suggesting are particularly fun/cool/etc, that's appreciated. Extra double brownie points if you've enjoyed GMing it and why.

2. I'm more familiar these days with 5e, but played enough 3.5 back in the day that I'm willing/able to do PF as well.

3. I don't really enjoy evil campaigns, so that's a no-go for things like Way of the Wicked.

We have a winner! We're going to play Dragon Heist. Big 16 below. Any questions, feel free to ask in this thread.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. A swashbuckling cosmopolitan adventure.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Dunno, 4-6ish? People drop out of PbP a lot.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    PbP right here.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Normal starting gear for your class/background

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Nothing from non-FR setting books. Otherwise, anything in a published WOTC book should be ok, except Elven Accuracy. Unearthed Arcana may be ok, subject to my approval.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Anything from the PHB. You can take subraces/variant races from the SCAG, except winged tiefling. Note that Tieflings and Drow will have a harder time if they get in trouble with the City Watch (see below), since everyone knows they're evil races.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Standard 27 point buy, but I allow players to buy a 16 for 12 points.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Like most 5e, alignment is less important, but some notes:

*No PvP or characters who don't play well with the rest of the party. Don't be Chaotic Stupid (or anything Stupid).

* You're in a real city, with real law enforcement. Murderhobos will quickly get in trouble with the Guard, who are equipped to deal with people much tougher than you. The AP is pretty clear that PCs can and will be exiled, executed, or imprisoned if they go around clearly breaking the law. You can try to negotiate/talk your way out of lesser crimes, but I'm not trying to run a trial scene every week. Basically, a clever thief is fine, but this isn't a good AP for a character who threatens to murder all the shopkeepers for a discount.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Normal 5e rules. I tend to look down on super-cheesy combos that make little sense in-character (Paladin/Warlock being the common worst offender), but as long as you can make it make sense in-universe, go for it.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Roll here on the forum. To speed things along, I'll roll initiative (and use one roll for Team Bad Guys) and use passive Perceptions automatically.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

The only real variant rule I use is that crits by the PCs are max weapon dice+roll, because a "crit" that does 4 damage sucks. Add-on dice are rolled twice as per core rules. EG, if Smashalor the 20-STR barbarian crits with a greataxe, he rolls 1d12+17. If his buddy Sir Smitington the 16-STR Paladin crits with a greatsword and uses a 1st-level slot to smite, he does 2d6+15+4d8. Enemies do normal crits, so if Nameless Mook With 16 Str crits with a greataxe he deals 2d12+3.

Advantage/Disadvantage don't necessarily cancel out 1 for 1. If two people without darkvision are fighting in an unlit cellar at midnight, they are both at Disadvantage. Generally, I'll go with whether you had more Advantage than Disadvantage.

As with most DMs, I'm less wedded to strict RAW than rules as make sense.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Yes please! Doesn't need to be a novel, but a couple paragraphs about who you are would be lovely. You'll start in the Yawning Portal, the classic tavern for adventurers, so you don't have to know each other beforehand if you don't want. OTOH, if you want to link your backstory with another PC, go for it!

You each know at least one of the following people at the bar:
    Spoiler: People at the bar
    Show

Durnan, Human Proprietor
    "I'll give you a free flagon of ale if you don't talk to me about the weather"

Bonnie, Human Barmaid
    "Many adventurers pass though the Yawning Portal on their way to greatness. All of them try the ale."

Threestrings, Halfling Bard
    "Anyone can play The Three Flambinis on a lute, but try playing it with just three strings!"

Jalester Silvermane, Dwarf Patron
    "Want to know what's going on in our fine city? Grab a stool. Stay a while."

Meloon Wardragon, Famous Human Adventurer
    "Heroes. am I right? Maybe one day you'll join Force Grey. Can I buy you an ale?"

Obaya Uday, Half-Elf Cleric of Waukeen
    "The wonders of Waterdeep are something to behold. I tell you, I've never seen so much money in my life!"

Yagra Stonefist, Half-Orc Mercenary
    "Want to arm wrestle? Hope you're stronger than you look."

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

I chose this AP because it seems to have a good mix of stuff. Should be a part for everyone. Although it does all take place in a big city, so characters that are much better in nature would have a rough time. I'd let a ranger take City as a favored terrain.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

As above, PHB for races, published WOTC (other than other settings) for everything else, UA by request/approval.

Deadline is March 31 at 7 pm PST!

Entries so far:

Name Player Description Sheet
    Sarah Sinclair JNAProductions Half-Elf Druid https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2163817
    Gilnsem Tosscobble Tycho42 Ghostwise Halfling Rogue Https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2163856
    Urmdir hmwd Hill Dwarf War Cleric https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T9ulicJJfAQzWmfrna_-xByVRfV1Y8Sh/view
    Thesp Eltorchul Kalashak Human Fighter https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2164241
    Aeryn thar Varendiil Zero Prime Human Wizard https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2164744
    Ahlam yi Ithal Madmal Human Genie Warlock https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1464557
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-04-03 at 06:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Want to Play an Adventure Path? (5e or Pathfinder)

I’m reserving this spot to make a case for a few pregen 5e adventures. I just don’t have time to type right now!

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd prefer 5e depending on what a prospective GM pitches, but certainly interested.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pathfinder or 5e would be my preference. As for AP's if we go with Pathfinder, the Tyrant's Grasp AP seems really cool and I'd love to try it. If it's 5e I'd like to play Sandy Petersen's Ghoul Island adventure path.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

5e get's my vote.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I have always wanted to play Tomb of Annihilation or Curse of Strahd because of how sandboxy they are, but never run them because my real life group has players who HATE making decisions or dying. I would definitely be interested in playing them.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    I'd prefer 5e depending on what a prospective GM pitches, but certainly interested.
    I don't think we are looking for a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashak View Post
    I have always wanted to play Tomb of Annihilation or Curse of Strahd because of how sandboxy they are, but never run them because my real life group has players who HATE making decisions or dying. I would definitely be interested in playing them.
    I am currently playing TOA and it is a lot of fun.

Formal recommendation:

Curse of Strahd. I ran it for a real life group. Reasons I found it fun:

1. It's technically a horror campaign and especially the into really had people freaked out and on edge. I can tell you about an incident but would want to do so privately or after the fact.

2. It's genuinely hard. Like you are expected to die. My party would have lost several members or wiped if I hadn't just made up excuses for them to survive.

3. It's pretty open where they can go wherever they want.

4. There is ton of interesting lore and options for the players to pursue to improve their chances.

5. The ending

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would recommend Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. It’s a cosmopolitan adventure, which I never get to play. It is in an iconic locale so it has many hooks and history. It opens up many different “social” character interactions.

I’d also be alright trying Strahd. I have GMed it. The previous poster has a great deal of information that I’d concur with. I might be playing in another game of it in Play By Post. That might be my second.

In general though, I’d like to play pretty much anything!

Edit: I realize now I’d reserved a post. Apologies!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

I would recommend Hell's Rebels (Pathfinder Adventure Path #97-102). I've never played it (or GMed it) but is seems very interesting to me and I've heard good things about it from people who have played it. I like the idea of a rebellion and Cheliax is an interesting setting. (Despite the name, it's not an evil campaign).

Side note: Are you looking for players or just suggestions for what to play?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly, I'm only interested in a 5e series of adventures, given I'm not particularly familiar with Pathfinder nor do I want to try to learn it due to the significant number of source books I'd have to plow through.

I am NOT interested in Descent into Avernus, as I'm playing through that on Roll20. Ravenloft might be interesting, and Saltmarsh would make me nostalgic, as it was one of the 1st adventures I ran for my players in AD&D.

I typically go for the front line, Barbarian, Fighter, or Paladin. So I would love the opportunity to play an old school book Wizard.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! Please, keep suggesting

Question/concern re: Curse of Strahd. I'm a little concerned running a sandboxy AP on PbP, since I've had the experience a few times of players having too many options and just stopping posting when the way forward wasn't clear. Option paralysis seems like a much bigger issue in PbP than in person. For those who've played it (especially if by PbP), was that ever an issue?

And to answer two questions that came up: I am the prospective GM, and I am looking for players once we get "what to play" figured out. So pitch me APs you want to play in!
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-03-28 at 08:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho42 View Post
    I would recommend Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. It’s a cosmopolitan adventure, which I never get to play. It is in an iconic locale so it has many hooks and history. It opens up many different “social” character interactions.
    I'll second Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Seems like there's a lot of social interaction in that one, not just hack-n-slash, so there's a bit for all builds of PCs.

Plus, who doesn't want to try and get stinkin' rich in such a grand city? XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone! Please, keep suggesting

Question/concern re: Curse of Strahd. I'm a little concerned running a sandboxy AP on PbP, since I've had the experience a few times of players having too many options and just stopping posting when the way forward wasn't clear. Option paralysis seems like a much bigger issue in PbP than in person. For those who've played it (especially if by PbP), was that ever an issue?

And to answer two questions that came up: I am the prospective GM, and I am looking for players once we get "what to play" figured out. So pitch me APs you want to play in!
    I'm down to play anything.

As for the sandboxyness of Curse of Strahd, I don't think it'll be a problem. You can go anywhere anytime and do anything but when I ran it, they seemed to follow a pretty steady path. They skipped some spots they could have gone to and went to some they could have skipped but they always had a mission. It's also not a true sandbox because they mechanically not ignore the main quest. Strahd is everywhere, influencing nearly everything, and they can't escape his domain until they beat him.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey everyone,

I would prefer a 5e adventure too. I am not a fan of gothic horror, so I would not like Curse of Strahd.

Other than that, I am in for all.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Hey everyone,

I would prefer a 5e adventure too. I am not a fan of gothic horror, so I would not like Curse of Strahd.

Other than that, I am in for all.
    I'll be honest, given my players, outside of a few events and specific arcs, it felt more like a comedy most of the time. I can see not wanting to go that route though.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would very much like to join in another 5E adventure. Something darker may be fine, but really I'm up for just about anything.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Depending on the AP, sure.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

I'd prefer doing Pathfinder but if we're doing 5e I'd be fine with Curse of Strahd, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist or Descent into Avernus. Anything really.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Thanks everyone! Looks like there's a lot of interest, and two modules that multiple people like: Dragon Heist and Curse of Strahd. Having skimmed both, Dragon Heist looks like a fun idea and I've never run a similar game, so Dragon Heist it shall be! Big 16 below, and I'll put it in the top post as well.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. A swashbuckling cosmopolitan adventure.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Dunno, 4-6ish? People drop out of PbP a lot.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    PbP right here.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Normal starting gear for your class/background

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Nothing from non-FR setting books. Otherwise, anything in a published WOTC book should be ok, except Elven Accuracy. Unearthed Arcana may be ok, subject to my approval.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Anything from the PHB. You can take subraces/variant races from the SCAG, except winged tiefling. Note that Tieflings and Drow will have a harder time if they get in trouble with the City Watch (see below), since everyone knows they're evil races.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Standard 27 point buy, but I allow players to buy a 16 for 12 points.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Like most 5e, alignment is less important, but some notes:

*No PvP or characters who don't play well with the rest of the party. Don't be Chaotic Stupid (or anything Stupid).

* You're in a real city, with real law enforcement. Murderhobos will quickly get in trouble with the Guard, who are equipped to deal with people much tougher than you. The AP is pretty clear that PCs can and will be exiled, executed, or imprisoned if they go around clearly breaking the law. You can try to negotiate/talk your way out of lesser crimes, but I'm not trying to run a trial scene every week. Basically, a clever thief is fine, but this isn't a good AP for a character who threatens to murder all the shopkeepers for a discount.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Normal 5e rules. I tend to look down on super-cheesy combos that make little sense in-character (Paladin/Warlock being the common worst offender), but as long as you can make it make sense in-universe, go for it.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Roll here on the forum. To speed things along, I'll roll initiative (and use one roll for Team Bad Guys) and use passive Perceptions automatically.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

The only real variant rule I use is that crits by the PCs are max weapon dice+roll, because a "crit" that does 4 damage sucks. Add-on dice are rolled twice as per core rules. EG, if Smashalor the 20-STR barbarian crits with a greataxe, he rolls 1d12+17. If his buddy Sir Smitington the 16-STR Paladin crits with a greatsword and uses a 1st-level slot to smite, he does 2d6+15+4d8. Enemies do normal crits, so if Nameless Mook With 16 Str crits with a greataxe he deals 2d12+3.

Advantage/Disadvantage don't necessarily cancel out 1 for 1. If two people without darkvision are fighting in an unlit cellar at midnight, they are both at Disadvantage. Generally, I'll go with whether you had more Advantage than Disadvantage.

As with most DMs, I'm less wedded to strict RAW than rules as make sense.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Yes please! Doesn't need to be a novel, but a couple paragraphs about who you are would be lovely. You'll start in the Yawning Portal, the classic tavern for adventurers, so you don't have to know each other beforehand if you don't want. OTOH, if you want to link your backstory with another PC, go for it!

You each know at least one of the following people at the bar:
    Spoiler: People at the bar
    Show

Durnan, Human Proprietor
    "I'll give you a free flagon of ale if you don't talk to me about the weather"

Bonnie, Human Barmaid
    "Many adventurers pass though the Yawning Portal on their way to greatness. All of them try the ale."

Threestrings, Halfling Bard
    "Anyone can play The Three Flambinis on a lute, but try playing it with just three strings!"

Jalester Silvermane, Dwarf Patron
    "Want to know what's going on in our fine city? Grab a stool. Stay a while."

Meloon Wardragon, Famous Human Adventurer
    "Heroes. am I right? Maybe one day you'll join Force Grey. Can I buy you an ale?"

Obaya Uday, Half-Elf Cleric of Waukeen
    "The wonders of Waterdeep are something to behold. I tell you, I've never seen so much money in my life!"

Yagra Stonefist, Half-Orc Mercenary
    "Want to arm wrestle? Hope you're stronger than you look."

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

I chose this AP because it seems to have a good mix of stuff. Should be a part for everyone. Although it does all take place in a big city, so characters that are much better in nature would have a rough time. I'd let a ranger take City as a favored terrain.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

As above, PHB for races, published WOTC (other than other settings) for everything else, UA by request/approval.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-03-29 at 06:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

You say UA by approval. I take it no homebrew at all, then?

And how high-level does this go? I'm leaning towards either a Firbolg Shepherd Druid, or a Tabaxi Rogue, depending on the level range.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

I don't have time to make a character right now but I'd like to reserve a spot. Can I do so? (By right now I mean in the next few hours).

Edit: I've only played about four hours worth of 5e, are you accepting relatively new players?
    Last edited by hmwd; 2020-03-29 at 12:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Like I said, I would be interested in playing a stock Wizard, I am leading towards a Divination Wizard who consults with the Watch from time to time. I'll edit a build, personality and background into this post as I start constructing it.

Would you like us to establish links to, or relationships with other players? Just curious.

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

Wow, quick questions! Apologies, I don't know how to multiquote on the forum, so replies in-text.

@JNA- Correct. I'm not a good enough optimizer to really judge the balance level of homebrew unless it's egregious, so I tend to avoid it. This adventure goes levels 1-5, though there is a follow-on adventure for 6-20 if a) we make it that far and b) people want to keep going. I am trying to keep it to PHB races, though.

@hwd-No rush! I'm going to give people at least 4-5 days to make characters, so no worries. And yes, new players are welcome. The last group I DMed for I was the only person who had ever played any D&D edition, and we had a grand old time.

@zero- That sounds like a good seed. The Watch does associate/work with with helpful adventurers, so that's definitely feasible. I'll leave that up to you guys- I think it's fun to have links with other PCs, but I'm not mandating it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would like to make a rogue inquisitive of the CSI type if that’s possible! I’m very excited - I have looked forward to Waterdeep for a long time. Thank you!

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho42 View Post
    I would like to make a rogue inquisitive of the CSI type if that’s possible! I’m very excited - I have looked forward to Waterdeep for a long time. Thank you!
    Yep, sounds good. You're welcome! I'm looking forward to it too- haven't been able to DM since I moved 6 months ago, so it'll be fun to get back into it.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Wow, quick questions! Apologies, I don't know how to multiquote on the forum, so replies in-text.

@JNA- Correct. I'm not a good enough optimizer to really judge the balance level of homebrew unless it's egregious, so I tend to avoid it. This adventure goes levels 1-5, though there is a follow-on adventure for 6-20 if a) we make it that far and b) people want to keep going. I am trying to keep it to PHB races, though.
    See the "+ sign right next to the "Reply With Quote" button? Click that on each post you want to quote. They'll all show up, to a max of... 15 posts, I think?

And if I can't play my non-PHB races, why then, I'll, I'll...!

Probably play a Half Elf.

Edit: Bim bam boom, Sarah Sinclair!

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Sarah was left on the steps of an orphanage, swaddled in clean linen and with a flute besides her. She grew up there, but was always a troublemaker. Never anything WRONG, mind you-but she'd get out of her crib often, and as she grew up, out of the building altogether!

She always had a home in the orphanage, but spent a lot of time outside it. She was always curious about practically everything. Eventually, though, she found a job to start giving back to those who had raised her-working as a stablehand for the Yawning Portal. She had a knack for animals, and oftentimes preferred their presence to people. She still wandered the city, when she wasn't working, more and more as she grew older. She got into trouble every so often, but managed to get her way out of it.

One of her incidents, though, was when she interrupted a burglary. It was near nightfall, and three thieves were making their way out of a dilapidated apothecary. Sarah knew that she didn't have the skills to take on several goons, so quietly snuck into the apothecary, and alerted the sleeping resident. He awoke, and proceeded to swiftly dispatch the three goons with a wave of his staff. For the owner was Donald Morgan, a practitioner of Druidic arts. Donald thanked Sarah, and asked how he could repay her. She asked to learn magic, and while he cautioned her that magic was something to be careful with, she was insistent. It took nearly an hour of convincing and wheedling, but eventually, he caved.

Sarah now split her time between her job, her tutelage, and her home. This lasted for some two years, before Donald had to leave, leaving her to her own devices to learn more of casting.

Of note, during the two years she learned under Donald, she also found love-or, well, at least a crush. Bonnie, one of the other workers at the Yawning Portal, was... Well, she was stunning to Sarah. Always friendly, always beautiful, always calm and level-headed... Sarah tries to talk to her when she can, but always gets nervous and says something stupid-but Bonnie's never cruel about it, which makes her crush even stronger.

Spoiler: Thoughts On All The Barfolk, Since She Knows Them All
    Show
    Durnan
    He gave me a job. He's not a father to me, but he's a great guy. Pay is good, he was willing to let me take time when Donald started teaching me, and is generally the best boss I've ever had.

Bonnie
    She's so awesome! And pretty! And nice! And sweet, and beautiful, and, and... I'm blushing, aren't I?

Threestrings
    He's a good guy, but he never has the time to teach me how to play my flute. It's the only thing I have from my mother, but I can't do the damn thing justice. But, he's always spreading cheer, so it's hard to be mad.

Jalester
    Long stories. Good stories too. But occasionally, he's hard to get away from when I need to work. Still, decent fellow.

Meloon
    So cool! He's an actual adventurer! I wish I could be more like him. He never stumbles over his words talking to Bonnie...

Obaya
    Nice lady. Never dealt with her much, though.

Yagra
    He's a great guy, if you get past his mean look! I've had a few patrons be nasty to me, or sometimes try to get rough, and if he's there, he puts a stop to it right away.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-03-29 at 01:23 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I’d like to play a Barbarian. Haven’t done that in a long time.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

@PotatoGolem: Could I take the ghostwise halfling subrace from Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, but not take the “Silent Speech” capability? Either replace it with another halfling subrace’s capability or just not use it? I find mind speech on the regular becomes difficult, but the stat bonuses are just what I need.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Sarah Sinclair

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Sarah was left on the steps of an orphanage, swaddled in clean linen and with a flute besides her. She grew up there, but was always a troublemaker. Never anything WRONG, mind you-but she'd get out of her crib often, and as she grew up, out of the building altogether!

She always had a home in the orphanage, but spent a lot of time outside it. She was always curious about practically everything. Eventually, though, she found a job to start giving back to those who had raised her-working as a stablehand for the Yawning Portal. She had a knack for animals, and oftentimes preferred their presence to people. She still wandered the city, when she wasn't working, more and more as she grew older. She got into trouble every so often, but managed to get her way out of it.

One of her incidents, though, was when she interrupted a burglary. It was near nightfall, and three thieves were making their way out of a dilapidated apothecary. Sarah knew that she didn't have the skills to take on several goons, so quietly snuck into the apothecary, and alerted the sleeping resident. He awoke, and proceeded to swiftly dispatch the three goons with a wave of his staff. For the owner was Donald Morgan, a practitioner of Druidic arts. Donald thanked Sarah, and asked how he could repay her. She asked to learn magic, and while he cautioned her that magic was something to be careful with, she was insistent. It took nearly an hour of convincing and wheedling, but eventually, he caved.

Sarah now split her time between her job, her tutelage, and her home. This lasted for some two years, before Donald had to leave, leaving her to her own devices to learn more of casting.

Of note, during the two years she learned under Donald, she also found love-or, well, at least a crush. Bonnie, one of the other workers at the Yawning Portal, was... Well, she was stunning to Sarah. Always friendly, always beautiful, always calm and level-headed... Sarah tries to talk to her when she can, but always gets nervous and says something stupid-but Bonnie's never cruel about it, which makes her crush even stronger.

Spoiler: Thoughts On All The Barfolk, Since She Knows Them All
    Show
    Durnan
    He gave me a job. He's not a father to me, but he's a great guy. Pay is good, he was willing to let me take time when Donald started teaching me, and is generally the best boss I've ever had.

Bonnie
    She's so awesome! And pretty! And nice! And sweet, and beautiful, and, and... I'm blushing, aren't I?

Threestrings
    He's a good guy, but he never has the time to teach me how to play my flute. It's the only thing I have from my mother, but I can't do the damn thing justice. But, he's always spreading cheer, so it's hard to be mad.

Jalester
    Long stories. Good stories too. But occasionally, he's hard to get away from when I need to work. Still, decent fellow.

Meloon
    So cool! He's an actual adventurer! I wish I could be more like him. He never stumbles over his words talking to Bonnie...

Obaya
    Nice lady. Never dealt with her much, though.

Yagra
    He's a great guy, if you get past his mean look! I've had a few patrons be nasty to me, or sometimes try to get rough, and if he's there, he puts a stop to it right away.
    Reposting this, because edits tend to get missed.

Show
    Show

Show