Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The starsong War (SRW D20 game)

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a GM and players to play a game using the Super Robot Wars Conversion for DnD 3.5. Preferably it'd be a mid to high-power game, but if a prospective GM has another plan, I'd always be interested in hearing the idea!

Well, if no one else is going to step up...

The starsong War
    Humanity has spread among the stars, and found itself to be alone. After an initial period of bright-eyed exploration and expansion, in which humanity established footholds in over 50 star-systems, a darker period of exploitation and strife followed. Corporations flourished, became states in their own right, and the eventually got absorbed into a growing empire. Then, when that empire became complacent and decadend, another war erupted and a federation was born. Now, peace has reigned for over 30 years, though tensions between the Empire and Federation have been increasing in the recent months, with several border-systems switching allegianceÖ

The Empire
    The Empire was once the pre-eminent bastion of human civilization in space, until the breakaway war. The empire is governed by an emperor, who in turn is advised by a council consisting of the heads of the Empireís noble houses. Being a Noble in the empire means having influence and the freedom to choose your own path, while being a commoner means having your path decided for you by your betters. Yet those commoners that stand out above the rest are often elevated to wards of a noble house, giving them the same rights as true-born nobles, if not the same prestige.
    After the excesses of the decades of decadence, the empire has put strict rules in place, restricting the behaviour of the nobility towards the commoners and outlining the rights of the common people once again. Under these new laws, every commoner has the right to get the best education and training they are able to complete, and the duty to put their skills to the best possible sue for the empire. Every noble should expect loyalty from the people of their domain, and has the duty to provide what is necessary for these people to flourish.
    The empire claims that these new laws herald a new age of enlightenment and progress. The Federation dismisses them as new window-dressing for the same system of slavery and exploitation.

The Federation of Free systems
    The Federation of free systems broke off from the empire over 30 years ago, and after an initial period of military rule has now transitioned into a full representative democracy, with representatives of every world in the federation having a say in matters. Commerce flourishes and anyone has the chance to make something of themselves and have a say in matters, no matter the circumstances of their birth.
    Despite these freedoms though, poverty is a big problem in the Federation. For every person making it big, several more are struggling to get by. Critics of the federationís system will also point to the influence the largest corporations have on political matters.

Avron
    Avron is a small border system within Federation territory. Itís only habitable world is a mars-sized moon of the same name orbiting a large gas giant. Unfortunately for those living on the moon, the final large fleet-battle of the breakaway war was fought in its orbit, and now the surface is littered with the wrecks of warships and mecha. The small community remaining on Avron make their living salvaging these wrecks, but it is a dangerous and often underpaying job.

Spoiler: The big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    DnD 3.5, with the SRW homebrew expansion: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?board=138.0

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    The basic information of the setting has been provided above. Players will start on the moon Avron, where they will have been living for at least 5 years.
    All overt magic will be fluffed as technology of some sort, though more minor abilities can be kept more vague as to their origins.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    1-4 or so.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    PbP in these forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 5, but expect characters to level rapidly in the first portion of the game (I want most of the game to be in the level 10+ range)

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard WBL (9000GP at level 5)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    This game will be Gestalt. One 'track' will be free to fill in (though I recommend putting a pilot class here), while the other track is restricted to fighter, rogue and the ToB and MoI classes. Players may request other classes for this second track, but it is supposed to be a 'support' track for your primary track, so keep that in mind. The 'einst queen' class from the SRW supplement is not allowed on either track (it just doesn't fit my game's fluff).

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    All medium races from the PHB and the Numan, Android and cyborg races from the SRW supplement are pre-approved. Any other race may be requested, but every race needs to be fluffed as being some variation on human.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    32 point-buy, max hp at first level, average (rounding up) at all other levels.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is not used, but all players are expected to design their characters in such a way that they are all willing to work together.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Yes I allow it, no I don't use any particular rules (ignore favored classes).

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Just use the forum die-roller.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Gestalt rules are being used for character-building. Flaws are not allowed, but each player may take up to one trait from those listed in the SRW supplement.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    A basic background, including how you ended up on the backwater world of Avron is required

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Expect combat and role-play to take the forefront, the exact balance of which will be up to player-decisions.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    All official DnD 3.5 sources can be used, subject to the racial and class restrictions I mentioned earlier. Homebrew outside the SRW supplement can be approved on a case-by-case basis.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-07 at 01:31 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Mecha Game

Definitely interested!
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

This looks pretty interesting. I'd definitely go for it if/when a GM appears.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Modigar View Post
    This looks pretty interesting. I'd definitely go for it if/when a GM appears.
    Well, I'm certain one will appear any moment now... XD

5. - Top - End - #5

Any one got a summoning catalyst?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YuweaCurtis View Post
    Any one got a summoning catalyst?
    I could try something, but I haven't got a clue where I could get a goat XD

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The starsong War (SRW D20 game)

Well, if no one else is going to step up..*points at updated OP*

8. - Top - End - #8

Cool. Too bad that means you can't play, well as directly. What other classes would be considered Support for that second class? Would monster classes be allowed on it? And what's with the low magic presence?
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2020-04-04 at 12:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool. Too bad that means you can't play, well as directly.
    This setting idea is actually something I've been kicking around for a while now, so it's nice to give it a go.

What other classes would be considered Support for that second class? Would monster classes be allowed on it?
    Basically any class that mainly adds things like numbers and feats would be support. I included the ToB classes because they give an additional and different way to run the SRW's piloting classes with maneuvers. Classes that add very clear 'showstealer' features like full spellcasters and full manifesters are very much not support. Monster classes are going to be a bit of a case by case basis, but the empire in particular has experimented with various means of enhancing people, so there's definitely ways to work it into the fluff.

And what's with the low magic presence?
    It's mostly an aesthetics choice on my part. This setting was inspired for a big part by Gundam and similar harder mecha and sci-fi shows, but magic is also an integral (and fun) part of the mechanics of the system, so fluffing it as technology seems to me to be the best of both worlds.

10. - Top - End - #10

If by ToB being a different approach you mean even more Manuevers / Manuevers for those without them, sure. Oh yea, I guess there the lack energy for none pilot Manuevers as well. I'm guessing that magic item like nature of MoI makes it easy to flavor as tech?
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2020-04-04 at 12:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If by ToB being a different approach you mean even more Manuevers / Manuevers for those without them, sure. Oh yea, I guess there the lack energy for none pilot Manuevers as well.
    Yeah, if you have a ToB intiatior you use their way of refreshing maneuvers instead of the energy system.

I'm guessing that magic item like nature of MoI makes it easy to flavor as tech?
    Yeah, pretty much. Also, super robot pilots get a specific upgrade that allows you to use them with your robots as well, which could eb cool.

12. - Top - End - #12

Think I've seen you use it, would PoC be allowed?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Think I've seen you use it, would PoC be allowed?
    I haven't actually used it, so I'll need a bit of time to properly read through it. I assume You're referring to this one? http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?top...7507#msg167507

14. - Top - End - #14

My bad, guess I got you confused with the other Star Captain I played with lol. Yes, it's basically MoI with tech and some other stuff added. Even if I don't use the class I'd like to use the gear as the guns feel better and aren't crazy prices like in SRW.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Reading through the system now... But probably yes.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding PoC, The base classes, modules and feats are approved (assuming no unexpected and unintended super-combos appear, of course, and if they do I'll rule on those individually). I'm going to need to think a bit about the personal weapons and other gear, as its essentially a slightly different (and expanded) approach to something SRW also does. I'll make a ruling on that later.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-04 at 01:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I'll try giving this a go!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to try too- am I correct in thinking that this is the same? Because I find it much easier to navigate.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Beware of Bites is recruiting!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    I'd like to try too- am I correct in thinking that this is the same? Because I find it much easier to navigate.
    It is, but it's hardy up to date. Also if you look, there is an index. The only thing not in there that's important is the Introduction.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2020-04-04 at 09:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Would the Mecha Engineer class be allowed as the support track? Otherwise I'm likely going ???/Fighter.
    (Is the Mecha Engineer allowed at all? It's not included in the index but it looks complete)

It is, but it's hardy up to date. Also if you look, there is an index. The only thing not in there that's important is the Introduction.
    Yeah, I noticed shortly after unfortunately >.> About not being up to date, not about the index.

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Beware of Bites is recruiting!

21. - Top - End - #21

Mecha Engineer is done, but Os has a tendency not to put stuff he didn't do in index, plus I think that class was debatably balanced. I don't think he liked it. But of course this is up to the DM ultimately.

Odd the conversation either got removed or it was in the main balance topic... Or maybe it was just the flavor and the class was fine... I know that person made another similar class that was questionable. Hmm I may reread it now.

I had forgot about it honestly, and there is another class similar now.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2020-04-05 at 12:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to say 'no' to the mecha engineer on either track. If you want to do something similar, I'd look at either the super robot pilot (for designing your own robot) support staff (for a lot of the science stuff) or the ultimate engineer feat.

edit: Regarding PoC equipment, I'm going to approve that as well, as it provides a lot more variation and options than what is available in SRW. For those that haven't looked into it, the list of PoC equipment can be found here: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?top...1011#msg141011

edit2: oh, btw, if people want to have a chat about things like character backgrounds and the like, shoot me a PM and we can exchange discord contact info.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-05 at 03:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I've played around with the system today; I think I'm looking at making a Real Pilot / Fighter (just for the extra feats), with the overall fluff of a child soldier working in Avron as a junker/mercenary to pay the bills for the other, younger ex-child soldiers she's trying to integrate back into society.

I'm a bit confused about magic items and how they apply though - are they meant to mostly boost your character for on foot fighting, or can you 'enchant' your mecha as well? Given my background I was looking at the Child Soldier Trait to keep things simple, since that seems to be geared as a substitute?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    I'm a bit confused about magic items and how they apply though - are they meant to mostly boost your character for on foot fighting, or can you 'enchant' your mecha as well? Given my background I was looking at the Child Soldier Trait to keep things simple, since that seems to be geared as a substitute?
    The short version is that magic items apply when they (kinda) make sense. So wearing a +1 suit of armor won't help increase your mecha's armor, but a ring of deflection will add a deflection bonus to your mecha. An amulet of natural armor won't do much, but that's mostly because your mecha already has natural armor for days. Anything that boosts your attributes and saves also helps with your mecha. If there are any particular items you're unsure off, I'll happily take a look and rule on them.

Regarding those child soldiers, the most likely source of them would be an anti-empire extremist cell operating somewhere in the border region, as the empire itself has stopped doing such practices (at least on the scale you describe) after the end of the breakaway war. But if you've got a different idea, I'd be happy to talk it through and figure out how it can fit into the wider world.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-05 at 04:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

I'm pretty familiar with the system if you have none DM specific questions. I even made some of the feats, a mecha and a race posted there.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I'm going to say 'no' to the mecha engineer on either track. If you want to do something similar, I'd look at either the super robot pilot (for designing your own robot) support staff (for a lot of the science stuff) or the ultimate engineer feat.
    Can't seem to find the feat? Not too keen on the other two options, though if I can find a smart way to recover spirit points with the Super Pilot it becomes more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    I've played around with the system today; I think I'm looking at making a Real Pilot / Fighter (just for the extra feats)
    I was thinking a similar thing! Have you got an idea wether to be primarily ranged or melee? I wanted to build a ranged supporter and I was wondering wether or not to pick the offensive support and/or combo feats.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't seem to find the feat? Not too keen on the other two options, though if I can find a smart way to recover spirit points with the Super Pilot it becomes more interesting.
    It is on the second page of the 'feats' thread. There's also a feat there that increases your spirit point regeneration from 5 to 10 per turn.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm an idiot and assumed that the feats were all kept in the first page >.> I'm most definitely taking the feat.

And spirit regen.

EDIT: All those things that mention needing to be fighting an opponent for a certain amount of rounds, do they mean a specific enemy or just the number of rounds that need to have passed in a fight? The first one feels like too much of a restriction imo, but in the second case the wording doesn't seem to align very well, to me at least (not a native english speaker so it's entirely possible that I'm wrong)
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-04-05 at 07:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: All those things that mention needing to be fighting an opponent for a certain amount of rounds, do they mean a specific enemy or just the number of rounds that need to have passed in a fight? The first one feels like too much of a restriction imo, but in the second case the wording doesn't seem to align very well, to me at least (not a native english speaker so it's entirely possible that I'm wrong)
    It's about a specific enemy (the feats specify that as meaning that either they must have attacked you in that round, or you must have attacked them). In mass battles against weak mooks it's not that useful (though after a couple of rounds the feat would activate to be used against your surviving enemies, as they have been fighting you for those rounds), but in duels or fights against 1 or two 'boss' enemies it's more useful.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-05 at 08:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Looks like I'll be a Real Pilot / Dreadnaught focused on range and support.

And lol yea the Feat page is special.

How long is recruiting gonna be?
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2020-04-05 at 11:31 AM.