New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 24/24
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

Vyvian continues eyeing Grepha suspiciously and replies, "And what is it you would even want from a store?"

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

Looking up from her musings, Melian finds her cup empty and her siblings gone. With a slight shrug, she stands and heads for some needed rest.

After her trance, Melian carefully takes her family book from her pack and searches for the names she heard earlier, primarily Kersumar and Ixen'caex. Once satisfied, she packs everything up neatly and goes join her siblings for breakfast.

Finding Caelyn in a sad state, she sits down beside her and, grabbing a mostly clean washcloth from the bar, moistens it with water and prestidigitates into a nice, soothing, cool wet compress, which she applies to her sister's neck and forehead. "You know," she begins in a low voice so as to not disturb her sister's headache, "I once heard father saying something along the lines of 'a night of imbibing is only taking tomorrow's happiness for today'. Seems appropriate." She chuckles a little, in a motherly way.

--- When Senna joins up ---
    Then, seeing Senna, Melian gesticulates excitedly while her voice rises dangerously close to Caelyn's current noise tolerance. "SENNA! Over here! I need your help with something! Can you cast a Comprehend Languages ritual and focus on my words? Should be quick."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    • Searching my bladesinger inheritance book for any names Kou gave me. If he's fought with and/or against bladesinger and has been around for like 2000 years something might be mentioned or alluded to in the book.
    • I'd like to have Senna cast Comprehend Languages and Melian will sound out all the names Kou used. She wrote it down phonetically so it should provide a good enough facsimile. I hope.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Senna rises not exactly with the dawn. As she wakes up instinctively, because her prayers are typically before breakfast at dawn, she glances at Garrick. Milil. You are my Milil, the song to my poetry. The beautiful face answering to my prayers, the one who makes knowledge all the more interesting. She looks at the sleeping man, gently stroking his hair. As he sleeps in front of his bed, Senna prays an impromptu prayer. This would be a first for her, because she normally recites carefully prepared rites instead of more spontaneous orisons. But looking at her dear bard, she is inspired all the same.

As Garrick rises, she ends her divine prayer. Good mornin', sleepyhead. Want to go for a breakfast with my siblings? The halfling's food is unremarkable, but I would enjoy another hour or two with you. We need to go to Nashkel today. Her stomach turns with the memory that she would have to say adieu to her love so early, but she tries to power on for now at least.

So Senna struts into the tap room of the Sheaf, taking a portion of whatever and enjoys the looks. For once Melian proves to be the bookish one and hounds her about a comprehend language spell, completely ignoring Garrick for now. You seem agitated, Melian. Made some breakthrough with Vyvian's ritual last night? she inquires. Garrick, would you be a dear and fetch me my book from upstairs? Our room is on the left side, third one. It is the book with the stylized Netherese runes on the face. Red leather covers. I will order you something, what do you want? And please pick something sensible. I saw that you did not enjoy the watered down ale. Juice? Maybe some oatmeal?

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

The halfling bartender looks at Caelyn with a mixture of amusement and sympathy - he's definitely used to this sort of thing, but no doubt he's taking a bit of pleasure from watching a young'un get in over their head and under the table. Still, he's not cruel about it, and once he's had his private chuckle he provides the requested drink in a tall cup. He makes a show of taking a pinch of powder and dropping it into the mug before giving it a swirl. "Herbal remedy for hangovers, down the whole thing and you'll be right as rain in 30 minutes. Gonna hurt like a hammer until then though. Enjoy."

There is a single mention of Kersumar in the bladesinger tome from what you can find - in a footnote related to a bladesinger lodge in the Spine of the World, far to the north. It briefly mentions an incursion by drow against the lodge that Kersumar helped to defend against, roughly 1600 years ago. Beyond listing a short list of combatants, of which Kersumar is just one, there aren't any more specifics. Assuming it's the same Kersumar, it looks like he was telling the truth about that part at least.

Garrick, for his part, may as well be part zombie at this point. Any hope of getting a decent conversation out of him may be a lost cause, he responds in one-or-two word answers at best. He might be not be asleep, but he doesn't seem to really be awake. Bards need their beauty sleep, and while he was quite happy to spend time sat next to a pretty young girl all evening, it has taken its toll on him. Chances are he'll be sleeping the journey to Baldur's Gate. On the plus side he seems quite malleable to requests, and tirefully trudges off to fetch the book muttering nonsense gibberish under his breath. You think you might've heard the word "Water," as far as orders go, but it's hard to tell. He does manage to return with the correct book in short order though, surprisingly, and takes a seat right next to Senna, leaving no space between the two. He's still muttering quietly, and if you lean in closely it sounds like he might be...rehearsing lines or lyrics?

Spoiler: Comprehend Languages
    Show

Senna identifies one word even without the spell - Desst, an infernal word that literally just means "Pest".

While you can't be sure what the other languages are, the translations are as follows, though some nuance may be missing.

Tikad=Demon
    Malysarv=Red
    Hweeckhweth Teanscliann sito Ptacksciath Sose=Honoured Guest of the Third Sword
    Shurram=Mustache
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-05-26 at 06:33 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Concentrating on: The thunder in her own head

Caelyn only responds to Melian's tender ministrations with an appreciative groan of thanks, eyes closing at the rapturous feeling of cool, relaxing water being dabbed on her body. For a few seconds she can almost forget the pounding of anvils in her head and the blinding pain behind her eyes.

Almost before the bartender can set the glass down Caelee takes it and tips it up, glugging it down one massive swallow at a time. It washed the taste of sick out of her mouth and reinvigorated her dehydrated body, so in some small amount she felt better as soon as she'd finished. She tops off the show with a particularly loud belch, covering her mouth demurely after it is released. Thank. You. she manages to say to the helpful bartender with all the gravity of a starving man being given food. That done, she takes some time to admire the onyx ring that now rests on her finger, idly thinking of the magical possibilities of her newest piece of equipment. For the moment it meant more healing for her and her family, but if she were to grow stronger and gain access to more powerful spells... the possibilities made her smile just a bit despite the hangover from the ninth circle of hell.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-26 at 06:48 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

Grepha squints her eyes and stands up a little straighter, making a shrug with her shoulders. She reaches up and pulls at the shoulder of her basic rags. "Clothes, for one. I look like a street orphan. No offense." Lowering back down onto all fours, she sits in a perched gargoyle position. "I like to have nice things too, you know."

Sam offers his siblings friendly waves as they shuffle in, keeping his usual chatter quiet at the bar for Caelyn's sake.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian gives Grepha a blank stare before replying, "Won't clothes be a problem when you turn into a bird?"

8. - Top - End - #548

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"No," Grepha gives Vyvian the same blank stare. She shifts into raven form, then immediately back. Reaching up, she tugs at the shoulder of her rags again. "Polymorphing magic melds clothes into the user's new form if they're incompatible. Unless you're dealing with some incompetent wizard who got the formula wrong." Grepha grins and swishes her tail back and forth, the stinger scratching along the floor. "Good thing it's not my problem."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian shrugs. Not like she knows anything about magic. "Ok, I guess I'll get you some doll clothes. Do you prefer boy or girl outfits?"

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas comes down to find most of his siblings in various states of happiness, disarray and pain. More or less the usual then. As for himself, he is not ready fro breakfast, since he spend the day drinking fine wines and ales, eating expensive meals and tasting sweets. He is rather full, but he feels rested and happy.

"And how are my beloved brothers and siblings? Everyone had a fine day and night? Caelyn, you seem especially well-rested. I have not seen this color on a person before. Green suits you."

He takes his seat and orders an extra large mug of coffee.

11. - Top - End - #551

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam looks back over his shoulder as Aintas comes in. He cracks a grin and comments, in a quiet voice so as not to unduly pain Caelyn while she recovers, "Brothers? We have another? Where have you been hiding him all this time, I'd love to meet him." He chuckles.

"Doll clothes?" Grepha looks down at herself and grumbles. "I suppose it's that or baby clothes. Find me something classy, will you? Like a nice dress." She pauses, rubbing at her chin. "Why don't I just come with you. We can make a day of it, hm?"

The imp hops up and transforms back into a raven, landing on Vyvian's shoulder. "What do you say? Shopping trip?"

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The redheaded cleric returns with a mug of water and juice for Garrick, who is probably napping within his seat. Now where did you read these words, and how come I missed elvish sounding words when this town has almost no elves to speak of? Senna inquires. The glyphscribe is intrigued but not as nosey as usual. She seems quite placated currently, spooning up her oatmeal with her left while rubbing poor Garrick's back with her right.

I slept like a stone after I joined Garrick to assist me tonight. But the poor man is still exhausted by his nightly helping hand. For a simple bard he is quite capable in several fields! Senna says to Aintas about Garrick, completely blanking on the implications.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-05-27 at 01:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"Suuuuure." Vyvian says in a noncommittal way and heads downstairs to join the others.

Once she's seated she dryly says to Sam, "Your pet stole some coins from a murderer and wants me to buy it doll clothes."

14. - Top - End - #554

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Ritual complete, Melian takes out her piece of parchment from the previous night and jots down the rough translations, noting what languages she did identify. "I'm going to need to visit a linguist and a library soon," she mutters to herself, mostly oblivious to the goings on around her.

15. - Top - End - #555

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Tilting his head to look behind him, Sam sees Grepha with Vyvian. "Huh. Wait what?"

"I am no pet," the raven insists.

"Hold on, hold on. What murder?" sitting up straighter, Sam turns in his chair to look at the two of them. Grepha eyes him silently, but he stands his ground and insists, "What happened?"

Grepha makes an irritated croaking noise. "Fool girl, this is what I wanted to avoid." Ruffling her feathers, Grepha finds herself unable to resist the order any longer. She reluctantly reports, "A heavily armored dwarf struck down someone who apparently owed him money." She rolls her eyes, an almost imperceptible motion in the deeply black bird eyes. "Just leave it. He was a professional, a serious customer. Not like that foolish bard."

Shaking his head, Sam gets up from his seat. "We can't just let someone get away with murder. We have to tell the guard."

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    Concentrating on:

Caelee, much to her surprise, does start to feel better. Everyone talking around her doesn't help, and she shoots Aintas a glare when he comments on her color. But she was beginning to recover. When she hears Grepha's admission, she nods at Sam's idea to tell the guard. A warrior in full plate is no small foe. Are we sure the guards are equipped to handle such a thing? They didn't seem especially motivated when dealing with the murder last night, and if I'm honest they failed to impress with their capabilities. Maybe this is something we should help them out with...
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna looks on rather helplessly. She almost forgot who she is travelling with. In the short time she enjoyed with Garrick, these people robbed organized crime lords, indulged in way too much alcohol and possibly gambling by the looks of it. Melian dug up some mysterious source of elven lore.

Mentally Senna was closer to Aintas and Vyvian than ever before. She stands up quickly, almost letting Garrick tumble off the bench. You did WHAT? she almost shouts, taking the attention of half the inn to her. Gladly the thing is rather empty at the time. Why would you create MORE enemies for us? Why couldn't you leave them alone? the glyphscribe accuses the black bird. Regardless, this business should be dealt with. I suggest all who had business with Taerom fetch their armor. Meanwhile the rest of us go look for the dwarf.

18. - Top - End - #558

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Why did I get you free money with no way to trace it back to you, leaving behind a 'victim' none of you need feel bad for with your delicate sensibilities?" Grepha asks rhetorically, in response to Senna's outrage. She remains impassive and unconcerned. "Did you miss the part where you are unemployed vagrants living off of scraps you get from bandits you kill?" Grepha hops from Vyvian's shoulder to Sam's. "We could have left any time. No one would have been the wiser. But the fool girl couldn't keep her lips sealed for half a minute, and now her siblings prepare to march into blood and battle once again."

Sam just shakes his head at Caelyn, "No. We can't go attack him for no reason. The guard will need proof he did something wrong, or we're just vigilantes. That could get us in serious trouble. Grepha can lead them to the crime scene."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"And it can perhaps wait a few minutes for us to finish eating and get our armor. The dead man will still be dead. No reason to split up for this. We can tell the guard and just ask them if they would like our help." Vyvian says.

She does a little motion with one hand. Basically thieves' cant equivalent of "Hey, can you understand thieves' cant?" to see if Grepha understands it.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

With breakfast polished off and Caelyn's headache assuaged, you collect your things and head out. There's a cool refreshing breeze, that if it carried a little less stench of animal might be quite pleasant. As it is, it's a mixed blessing. You get a few looks from passers by as you set off towards Thunderhammer. Taerom's there, though hard at work and not to be disturbed - it looks like he's treating plates of the ankheg with a solution of some sort. One of his assistants or workers, an obsidian-skinned muscular woman whose hair seems to shimmer and morph with fiery tones, is stood at the counter instead looking bored. She gazes longingly at the forges as you come in, but quickly moves to help. Once you've handed over the correct scrip to her, she disappears briefly before returning with your armour, now resized. Any battle damage that had been done on the pieces has been patched and cleaned up. While they're not quite "as new", they're certainly close. The woman, who gives her name as Inferno, insists you try them now. "A job done well is a job done once." She recites with the practiced tones of one who's heard it said by her boss a thousands times before and will hear it a thousand times more, but she doesn't seem to dislike it as a saying.

Aintas' splint is a bit tight around the shoulders, but ten minutes in a back room and Inferno returns with it fixed. Having already paid up front, Inferno asks if there's any other requests at this time, and once that's settled you're back on the streets, a little bit sturdier than before. All in all, it took maybe 40 minutes, including travel time, to deal with this. There's still plenty of morning left and the sun's still far from its peak.

Grepha's able to easily lead you back to Kagain's Companies. The door is shut, and from the street you can't hear anything from within, but it'd be difficult to make anything out at this distance (you're not exactly pressing your ears to the walls) with the yelling and hawking of wares going on around you, the trundle of carts, the barks of dogs and clopping of hooves.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

A mercenary company? Well, that is not really my strong suit. At least I LOOK LIKE I won't instantly attack anyone threatening my companions. You lot go ahead. You can pretend to be mercenaries for hire. Or Vyv might enter....somewhere else.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 25/25
    Concentrating on:

Newly armored, Caelee thanks Inferno for their work, admiring the way the studs better protect her vital points. Then, with Aintas' help, she puts their old armor on the counter and gets what she can for it. Putting the 35 gold in a separate pouch on her belt for safe keeping, she thanks Inferno again for the sale, admiring her hair before shaking herself free of her fire fascination. Having no further business there, she allows Aintas time to make any requests before leaving to meet up with her other siblings.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-29 at 01:25 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #563

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Grepha sees Vyvian's hand gesture, but by her narrowed eyes and small grumbling sound it seems like she just assumes it's some rude gesture.

After they come from the blacksmith's, Sam insists again, "We have to go notify the guard before we go do anything."

24. - Top - End - #564

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian follows the group absentmindedly, falling to the back and keeping to herself. She can't stop thinking about this Kou person and what he may represent. Seems like too much of a coincidence, especially with his cryptic warnings.

As the group reaches the warehouse, Melian looks up and her daze is lifted, the reality of her surroundings finally overriding her daydreaming. "Wait, where was the body again? We might have a hard time convincing the guard of anything if it's been moved or cleaned up."

25. - Top - End - #565

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"A most reasonable concern," Grepha agrees, taking wing. "I will lead you to the scene, and if indeed it is untouched we may place it under guard while we fetch... the guard."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 25/25
    Concentrating on:

Nodding to all the points brought up by Melian and Sam, Caelee makes to follow Grepha to the scene of the crime.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

It's not far to the alleyway with the body. It looks to not be an often-traversed area, since there's no one there. Either it's undiscovered (since it's still relatively early morning) or those who did come across it decided against getting involved. Given the recent death, it hasn't yet started to decay, but the stench of blood is heavy as you approach. Identifying information is a little difficult since the person's head is little more than a splatted goo of blood and crushed bone. It looks to have been a man - probably human given the prevailing racial makeup of Beregost - of average height and moderate build. His skin is pale with only a slight tan. There appear to be some fresh wounds on his hands. Arms and legs appear to be broken, with the knees apparently entirely missing. Tufts of ginger hair are scattered, attached to chunks of skulls.

His clothes, beneath the blood, look to be of moderate fare- not fine enough to be moneyed but unlikely to be a poor working slob, so perhaps a trader, clerk or the like. On his belt is a coinpouch - empty, following the (apparent) murderer's looting.

All in all, it's a fairly gruesome sight, though maybe not quite as bad as Silke from yesterday. With the sight taken in, Aintas grimaces. "There wasn't any hesitation in the swings. The person who did this...they had no qualms."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #568

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam, knowing better than to delve into the alley, lets his siblings of sterner stomach investigate the scene. The smell of blood and death from the street is enough to ward him off. His carrion-camouflaged companion shares no such concerns, and perches above the scene upon the very place she witnessed it.

"Immediately afterwards, he went home and slept soundly in his bed," Grepha says, accentuating Aintas' point.

Looking both ways down the street, Sam suggests, "He might come back or send someone to clean up the evidence. I'll go get the guard, maybe just one of you come with me?" Some part of him feels paranoid about going around alone with a remorseless killer walking the streets. "The rest should, I guess, make sure the place stays undisturbed. Grepha should stay here too, she knows what he looks like if he comes around."

"I doubt the guard can actually handle this," Grepha ponders, "But there could be profit in it if we offer our services. They already have our resume." She chuckles, recalling Silke's mistake when she crossed them.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-05-30 at 08:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna knew the stench of infected wounds, and the sight of a few very unpleasant injuries. But this was too much for the young girl. She did not approach the corpse closer, not wanting its sight to haunt her. After a good minute of praying to her god to remove these sights from her dreams, she finally approaches, kneeling down. Her siblings can see she is getting pale, and swaying a bit from the smell. She pulls out one of the bells she found yesterday and rings it above the corpse. Its ringing is short and abrupt, as if absorbed by the corpse. She starts to check the corpse, after praying shortly for it, and herself.

Scribe, please guide this poor soul to its deserving afterlife. Deneir, give me the strength and wisdom to see this matter through.

She then checks the corpse thoroughly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigation (1d20+2)[9]+(1d4)[3] to check for any evidence who it was, that attacked him.
    Medicine (1d20+5)[20]+(1d4)[2] to check if the target was assassinated or tortured before.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Senna's Investigation
    Show

The blows were delivered with a heavy blunt object - most likely a hammer or maul of some sort. Beyond that they don't seem to have left any traces of who the attacker was. The wounds on the arms/hands indicate that the man tried to defend himself but was unsuccessful.

The damage to the rest of the body was probably done pre-death, though you can't tell how prolonged it was. At night the screams may have attracted attention so it's likely it was a short and quick series of attacks rather than drawn out. Cause of death was almost certainly the skull being crushed. There's no drag marks, and the splatter indicates that he was on the ground when he was killed and hasn't been moved since. Arm positioning indicates he was conscious when it happened - even with the damage to his arms it looks like he tried to stop the attack, and failed.

If there was anything in his pockets before, there isn't now. There's no ring or other identifying jewellery. Without stripping him you can't be certain but there's no visible tattoos, brands or other markings.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC