Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 616
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Inn-Hunting

    Having said a brief goodbye, Caelyn and Sam slip out of the Sheaf Inn in search of another more...robust establishment. Exiting the inn they're met by the lingering scent of Silke's death, though thankfully it's diminished now that the body has been removed. The guards, likewise, have gone leaving the street comparatively empty. It's a full moon out and the clear summer sky means that it's easy to see both Selûne and her Tears trailing behind. Save the sudden brush with death, it's a beautiful evening, and Beregost has an idyllic country town aspect to it when there aren't any people on the street.

    Trailing through the streets it's not long before you spot a sign hanging outside a building. The Jovial Juggler. And from a glance, it seems to live up to its name. While the Sheaf had more of an older clientele - middle aged adults winding down from work - those sprawled out on the streets and hanging around in the doorway swerve younger. They look to be your age, or even less potentially. There's an array of tables outside to enjoy the cool air, and at least one of the tables has a dice game going.

    Garrick

    "Girlfriend?" He sounds confused as to who you're talking about, before the realisation crosses his face. "Oh! Mistress Rosena wasn't- I mean, we weren't like that. I worked for her, but we...ah...well nothing happened." He blushes a bit and takes another hurried drink, before spluttering a bit as the taste hits the back of his throat. "It is sad, that she's gone I mean, but she really brought it on herself so it's hard to blame anyone, she tricked me too. Thank you for thinking about me." He says, with a sincere (and also dazzling) smile.

    When Senna leans in, he's clearly confused for a moment. If she had her eyes open, she could practically see the cogs turning in his head as he tries to process 'Use your mouth'. After what seems to be an eternity to Senna he finally seems to grasp what she's aiming for, quickly takes another drink, and then clumsily matches his lips to hers, albeit only for a chaste moment. When he pulls back, he's blushing from the tips of his hair to his toes.

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show

    As Grepha watches from above, the dwarf grunts loudly and taps the side of his warhammer against the alley wall, trying to dislodge some of the blood and gore that had come off it. "Shouldn't'a come to this." He grumbles, running one hand over his face. It doesn't do much to clean it up, since his gauntlet was already covered in blood too. The body on the ground was certainly a person previously, but its head is little more than scattered chunks at this point. Its face has been entirely caved in - by the hammer, almost certainly - along with injuries on his arms and legs. He probably had both knees before the encounter. The dwarf seems to take a moment to collect himself, or just consider the situation, before crouching down to rifle through the man's belt pouches. "Shoulda just paid me like ya promised." He tutts and mutters under his breath as he keeps searching, occasionally finding a coin and holding it up to the moonlight, before pocketing it.

    He's taking his time, and there doesn't seem to be any cause to not do so.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think it's usually pretty obvious where each thing is going on but I'm going to add some subheadings again just for ease of splitreading, just in case.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

  2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    Holding his breath very pointedly as they pass through the former resting place of Silke, Sam breathes easier once they're away from the stuffy inn and its bad memories. The light wine tingle in the back of his mind makes the forgetting come easier, as he follows Caelyn's lead through the streets, walking at a relaxed pace with his thumbs hooked into his belt.

    They come up to the Jovial Juggler, and Sam grins. He can already tell this place is going to be a better time. His eyes are instinctively drawn to the dice game. Feeling the coin purse in his pocket, Sam figures he still has a decent amount to play with even without dipping into Vyvian's coin.

    "Think I'm going to roll into that game there," he nudges Caelyn with an elbow to get her attention. "I'll catch up with you after a round, maybe two. Don't do anything I wouldn't do!" With a playful wink that says 'that's not strict guidelines,' he walks over to the dice table.

    "Hey fellas. Who wants to try'n win some dragon gold?" he asks, holding up a gold coin with a cheeky grin. Gotta make a good first impression.

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show
    Some back alley deal gone bad. This dwarf does not have the look of an assassin. More a mercenary. Invisibly, she flutters down, easing her fall before shifting into a tiny lightweight spider to land on the dwarf's back while he's crouched over the corpse.

    Only one way to see who he works for - assuming he has a company or employer besides the stingy fool lying in a pile at his feet. More importantly, where he keeps his money. Knowing her 'master' he will blow through his funds sooner rather than later, and Grepha doubts she can talk the other rugrats into buying her anything nice...


  3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on: Having a good time

    Maybe it was the two drinks she pounded down, or maybe her anticipation for more drinks and a good time, but Caelyn doesn't look back at where Silke died, all but skipping down the street as she led Sam along. When they arrive at the Jovial Juggler, her grin only grows. THESE were her kind of people. When Sam peels off she returns wink and nudge, leaving him to his game of chance. She may try a round or two later on, but she had a different idea of fun than her brother. Walking into the tavern, she quickly surveyed the place before her eyes settle on the bar. Nearly dashing across to it, she hops up on a stool and waves to get the bartender's attention. Please tell me you have sweeter wine than the Sheaf down the road. She states bluntly, and when the bartender pours her a glass she picks it up and immediately drinks a third of it, then gives a happy sigh, feeling the warmth settle into her belly and begin rising towards her head. Then she turns on her stool, facing the common area, and looks around for something interesting. Singing, dancing, friendly people, anything that she can do with a drink in one hand and a smile on her face.
    The Bear is Back.

  4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    Melian raises her glass slightly at the words 'promises keep the world together' and takes a drink of her wine, thinking seriously of the vow she made the night Gorion died.

    "Well, it has been developed to defend and protect the Tel-quessir and I certainly will uphold that tradition, though I won't turn a deaf ear to the plight of those in need who are not of the people. But, even more than that, I will use it and everything I can and am to protect my family." The last statement doesn't ring of boasting or bravado, but is said as a simple statement of fact.

  5. - Top - End - #515
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Senna lingers for a moment in the afterglow. She smiles at that stupid dolt, then adds Want to go for a walk? I know a very serene place, I think you can see the moon from there. Not waiting for any answers, Senna takes his hand and pulls him outside. After a brisk walk, she sits down on the small hill, where she was moping prior.

    I travel with my siblings, it tends to get very noisy with them. I got that you're an actor, Garrick? So you must like attention and noise and all that. Never got much time for myself, with the work in the infirmary, my arcane and divine studies and my siblings. Never had time for... Senna pauses. uh, boys.

    Senna would glow red, if the hill was lighted better. I didn't want to force you to kiss me. It's just, uh, your face is so nice, and uh, uhm... Senna falls quiet for a moment. So what play where you planning on doing here? And why Beregost? This hardly seems like the kind of audience for such a talented young man as you.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I just remember I made Senna quite young, so how old is Garrick. And I kinda want to keep this a bit more on the platonic side, because of age reasons, and also because a 15 y/o would not put out instantly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes I know CERTAIN 15 y/o would but I don't RP her as that.


  6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Kou

    Kou regards you impassively. He's gone completely stonefaced as he listens to your words, clearly considering - and judging - their veracity. Silence hangs in the air, almost dulling the sounds of the rest of the inn at large. "Alright." The smile returns, but it seems warmer than before, less facade. "I'll believe that." He leans forward in his chair for the first time in the conversation, seemingly taking it seriously, finally. "You've entertained my curiosity, so as a reward I'll answer one question you have - if it's something I know, I'll tell you the straight, full truth. Just one question though, a man's secrets are his romance."

    Garrick

    "I used to be with a traveling troupe." He replies, gazing up at the moon. He hasn't let go of Senna's hand. "But I uh...found out they were using our performances as a cover for thievery. It turned into a huge argument and I had to leave. I couldn't be a part of that. Since then I've just been wandering, playing taverns here and there to get by, hoping to find something. That's when Mistress Rosena found me and took me under her wing but...I guess she wasn't any better than the others."

    He goes quiet for a bit, then simply says "It would be nice to be able to trust people."

    Jovial Juggler

    Outside the bar, the youths seem a little apprehensive at first - a half dragon did just walk up to them out of nowhere. They all look to each other, no one really wanting to say anything, until finally one speaks up. He's got a pudgy face, which probably rests in a scowl, but at the moment has a peaceful tint from the alcohol. "I hear dragons sleep on huge piles of gold. I'd like to try that. We'll take your money." With the tension broken by one, the rest of the table seems accepting and one nudges out a free chair for Sam to take a seat. Four dice and a cup are slid in front of him too. "Game's easy." The vocal one says. "Three dice in a cup, one on the table. Roll 'em up. You get under 10 in your cup, you win - or draw with anyone else who gets under 10." He flourishes the dice as he talks to show as an example. "No one gets under 10, you can swap one cup die with your table die, reroll your table die, or swap your table die with someone else's. Only one a turn though." He grins maliciously. "And you gotta think fast - five seconds a turn. Too slow and you get skipped. Got it? Good. Ante up and lets roll." The table as a whole toss coins down - 5 copper each. It's not exactly high stakes, but it'll pay for drinks.

    Inside the bar, Caelyn settles in to her seat and just as the mood seems to rise, she's practically accosted by a grumpy dwarf entering her personal space. Quite unprovoked, he launches into a speech. "Aye, so everyone's heard! Everyone's a rubbernecker then, is that it!? Old Gurke had his famous cloak stolen right off his back by a batch of paltry tasloi. Yeah, yeah, it's old news, and if you make one crack about Cloakwood being an appropriate place to lose it, at least, I'll put your live on the menu. Now move on and let the next line of people have their laugh." His eyes bore into you, expectantly for a response. As his speech finishes nearby, a small group of drinkers give a 'whoo!' and break into peels of laughter at the dwarf's outburst.

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show

    Grepha can't find any sort of iconography on the dwarf, covered in blood or otherwise, to denote an allegiance. Wouldn't be the first mercenary to hide colours. His coin seems to be stored in a belt-bag that is currently loosely open as its owner shuffles coins into it from the body.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I unabashedly stole the dice game from here. I'm not gonna do a play-by-play of turns or we'll be rolling dice until next decade - it's definitely better suited to a live game. Instead, I'll just look for a Dexterity check to see if he can swing the dice the way he wants, then an Intelligence check for the further turns. Let me know how many rounds you want to play (max 7) and give me a corresponding pair of rolls for each round.

    Garrick's 19.

    Phew look at all these different text colours. Rainbow posting hours lets go lets go.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

  7. - Top - End - #517
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    To trust people. Senna did that too, and has not failed so far as Garrick did. I would lie if I said I would understand how that felt. I had my fair share of problems myself, but it was never about trust. Senna sits up, looking Garrick straight in the eyes.

    It is not about trust with you. You should learn not to judge people by their appearance but by their heart. She moves her hand onto his chest. You are beautiful in both. But some people are ugly on the inside, some are just ugly on the outside. Get to know them better, before you invest yourself fully.

    You should go to Baldur's Gate. There you'd at least have an audience. But I feel you; no, we both; are too naive for such a big city yet.


    Senna laughs a pathetic laugh. It is not like it is in the stageplays. I've read a fair bit of my own, and it is always so dramatic. There is no love at first sight, but there can be romance... she says, laying back down, gazing at the stars.

    This time Senna does not push the young bard to continue nor pulls him down for some intimacy.

  8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    Taking a seat at the table with the dice rollers, Sam accepts a cup and some dice. "Sounds like fun. Let's see where the numbers fall." He slides 5 copper onto the table, and begins rolling.

    To start with, he goes for two rounds, like he told Caelyn. But such a simple game, the rounds are very quick. Surely she wouldn't notice if he was gone for two more...

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show
    Remaining lodged on the dwarf's back, the small devilish spider simply waits to see where he goes. Quite a big fly this spider has caught, and it will take some time to wrap up.


    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Sam
    Game 1:
    Dex: (1d20+1)[20]
    Int: (1d20+2)[21]

    Game 2:
    Dex: (1d20+1)[13]
    Int: (1d20+2)[9]

    Game 3:
    Dex: (1d20+1)[6]
    Int: (1d20+2)[17]

    Game 4:
    Dex: (1d20+1)[21]
    Int: (1d20+2)[22]

    Grepha
    Stealth: (1d20+5)[13] to remain undetected by the dwarf on his way back. Add any relevant bonuses or advantage for being a spider on the outside of plate armor, and on his back.


  9. - Top - End - #519
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on: Being helpful

    Oh! Ummmm... I'm sorry to hear about your cloak, good sir. If it would make it better at all, you can have mine. I know it can't replace your famous cloak, but it keeps the rain off just fine. Caelee looks around the bar as though looking for help, but realizes there is none to be had. Still, she couldn't help but be sympathetic. She gave a weak and shaky smile to the dwarf and then to the crowd of onlookers as she started to unfasten her cloak with one hand, taking a sip of her wine with the other. She sincerely hoped that this would end the conversation, as altruism was not her goal when she entered the Jovial Juggler.
    The Bear is Back.

  10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Garrick

    Garrick falls back to lie beside her. He's quiet for a bit, in as deep thought as he probably has ever been as the stars twinkle down at you. Finally, he speaks. Resolute. Firm. "No." He says finally. "No, I think the big city is exactly what I need." He rolls over onto his side to look at Senna. "I won't ask you to come with me, but should you find yourself there...come find me. I think I'd like to see you again." He was blushing again, but he seemed sure of himself.

    Jovial Juggler

    Sam seems to have a case of beginner's luck, being the sole roll under 10 for the first game. With a round like that it's over in but moments. His tablemates take it in stride though, especially when he fails to muster a winning cup for the second game. The third game is close, and for a moment Sam thinks he's managed to turn it around until he's swept out of a win at the last second by one of his opponents. His fourth game is the longest, culminating in a duel of three consecutive draws against Pudgyface before Sam finally ekes out a narrow win. With the ups-and-downs, he's managed to come out 30 copper ahead of where he started. Not a bad haul at all for around half an hour of play.

    The dwarf looks aghast and offended at Caelyn's offer of a cloak. "Oh, you're gonna give me your cloak are you? Think that makes it all better do you? Then you'll go right back to laughing at Ol' Gurke. Oh I see how it is. And I ain't havin' it." He stomps away, still cloakless, leaving Caelyn alone with her drink. "Hey," The bartender - a young one-eyed man missing half his hair - speaks up. "Don't worry about Gurke. He does that to everyone. People think it's a hoot so he'll get drinks out of it, and the cycle goes on." Sure enough, a few minutes later Caelyn can overhear the angry dwarf giving a remarkably familiar speech to another group of fresh entrants to the Juggler. "Oh, but he really did lose his cloak in the Cloakwood." The bartender stifles a laugh, not very well, and you hear Gurke yelling "Oi, I 'eard that!" followed by the bar erupting into laughter.

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show

    The dwarf doesn't notice Grepha's spidery-self attached to his armour as he finishes up looting the body. He heads out, barely looking for any passersby as he goes. Those who do cross his path steer far clear, but none raise any real fuss or try to stop him, which isn't surprising considering the figure he cuts. It's not long before he approaches a building. Kagain's Companies, a sign over the door reads. The dwarf tugs a key from his belt and unlocks the door with practiced familiarity.

    Inside is less a shop and more an office, though it's sparse. There's an armour stand - currently empty - at the back and a desk with some chairs in the centre. There's no decorations on the wall or real comforts. There's a few shelves with what look like papers and boxes on the floor but that's it. With his 'work' apparently complete, the dwarf begins the arduous process of removing his armour.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-05-24 at 05:10 PM.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

  11. - Top - End - #521
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    Melian can't help but feel that she was being tested, but by whom and for what she still had no idea. She'd have to ask the innkeepers if they'd seen him around before.

    "Very well, one question then." She pauses, considering for a moment. "Tell me who you are. I won't ask you to betray your secrets," she begins seriously before continuing with a sly smile. "But I do ask you to refrain from being overly cryptic."

  12. - Top - End - #522
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Smiling a sad smile, Senna nods. You need purpose, a goal. But my road takes me elsewhere. But just tonight I want to be a girl. And live my life. She rolls over to look Garrick in the eyes. Just kiss me, you fool. she adds.

    Spoiler: Later
    Show
    Senna prepares a letter for Garrick, sealed with the a bit of wax. She instructs him to read it once he reaches Baldur's Gate. She also will keep notice of that letter for the Find Object spell. Personally I want to take my time formulating such a letter.


  13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Kou
    The 'samurai' bursts into laughter. Not mocking though, he's enjoying it. "That's it? Not what my goal is, my intentions? No guidance?" He takes a moment to compose himself, and you see a tear has formed in one eye. "Ah, as you wish, a promise is a promise. I wasn't lying before about my name - or one of them anyway. I've gone by a number over the years - Kou, Kersumar, Tikad, Ixen'caex, Malysarv, Desst, Hweeckhweth Teanscliann sito Ptacksciath Sose, Shurram..." He ticks the names off on his fingers as he flits between languages the same way one might hop from foot to foot. "I was born many years ago, in a country that doesn't exist anymore. I think it's been...oh, two thousand and some years? You lose count, honestly. I was born to a middling family of means, but any hopes they had for me were lost when I found a cause - a person - worth fighting for and became a swordsmaster. One that's quite capable." He pats the katana at his belt, "But one day my cause was gone and I was not." He pauses, and his eyes darken for just a moment. "It's a harrowing thing, losing your path and purpose. But in losing it, I gained a new one, so to speak, and now I spend my days sticking my nose into other people's business. Usually for the better, though it depends on who you ask. Today, that business was yours." He gives a wry smile. "Congratulations."

    He seems satisfied with the answer, since he stands up from the table, his wooden clogs tapping against the inn floor. "Now, I think we've both spilled enough truths for one night, but I'll leave you with one more cryptic note - if you survive what's to come, we'll meet again, and when we do, you'll challenge me to a duel." It wasn't a threat or an instruction, more a prediction that he seemed to trust as fact. "I'm looking forward to it. Stay safe until then!" With that he turns and heads out of the bar, stopping only to ensure a drunk doesn't fall over and props them back up against the wall.

    Garrick

    "Oh! Uh, well yes, I can do that." It's a little bit less chaste this time. Still clumsy, but he doesn't pull away after only a moment. It's the sort of clumsy but eager kiss that sets all youngfolk's heart afire. Whether it's nerves, lack of experience or something else, he doesn't cross any lines. It's as storybook as you could make it.

    He's quite happy to spend time wiling away the evening with Senna, but eventually sleep beckons and neither of you can keep your eyes open properly anymore. He graciously escorts you back on a midnight walk through town back to the Sheaf Inn where Vyvian, Aintas and Melian are staying, before bidding you goodnight to head to his own accommodations, a distinct spring in his step as he slips into the darkness. He'll be in town for most of tomorrow before the caravan he was due to take with Silke heads north. Until then, he's got a room at The Burning Wizard, should you need him for anything.

    Spoiler: Melian Languages
    Show

    You recognise two of those names as being from languages you speak - Kersumar, in elven (loosely 'Dawn's Heir') and Ixen'caex in draconic (Blazing Blade, though it has a double meaning related to a harsh/blunt tongue).
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    The first round goes well, and feeling the cockiness of a rookie who just found he's got a knack, he gets knocked down the following couple rounds, discovering he really didn't know the game as well as he thought. Of course he can't back out now, not until he wins back his losses...

    Come the final round, he's gotten the hang of things, switching and pivoting dice until he comes out the victor. With the final play, he releases a breath he'd been holding in. "Phew, that was quite a match." He extends a hand to the pudgy man to shake on a good game. Then, he realizes how long he's been playing. "Aw shoot, I was supposed to meet up with my sister a while ago. Thanks for the games boys, but I'm going to call it a night."

    After parting ways with the other gamblers, Sam peeks into the tavern proper to search for Caelyn. Hopefully she hasn't gotten too drunk while he's been away.

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show
    Entering the dwarf's place of business, Grepha finds it drab, if practical. At the very least there will be few places to search. Dropping to the floor as he begins to undo the clasps on his armor, Grepha skitters into hiding among the boxes on the floor, to await the dwarf going to sleep.


    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Grepha
    Stealth: (1d20+5)[19] to get into a new hiding spot


  15. - Top - End - #525
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

    Melian takes the laughter in stride, a sly smile still on her lips, and listens intently to Kou's words.

    "Ah, what does anything else matter without a name?" she asks after his exposition. "Guidance from a stranger is easily ignored. Every person, creature or monster has a purpose and someone's goals are nothing without themselves. No, I say a name gives out much more information to those who know where to look."

    As Kou stands to leave, Melian rises from her seat as well and bids him farewell. "I look forward to our next meeting, then. Safe journeys." As he exits the Inn, Melian sits down again, calls Fëanáro back and draws a piece of parchment from her pack, quickly jotting down every name Kou listed out, writing them down in Common, Elvish and Draconic, phonetically when appropriate.

    "Two thousand years? Survive what's to come?" she mutters to herself, her brows furrowing seriously. "Who the hells is this man?"
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-05-24 at 07:00 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Aintas

    Earlier, at Sam

    "I try for the flat of the blade, brother, when I can. I would have with the crazy lady before. But as you saw, sometimes you don;t get the chance. I would have much rather turned her to the guards here. But she did not give me the chance, did she? That is what I am saying. And I don't feel bad that she was put down. It was not my fault, and I did not start it"

    Later


    His siblings are all gone and Aintas is left drinking alone and eating alone in a rather mediocre setting, which he did not want to eat in the first place. He ponders what to do in such a large city. He has no spells to learn, and no mysterious strangers came to talk to him. He keeps an eye to make sure his siblings are OK, but they seem to be enjoying themselves. Shrugging, Aintas orders a bath and then goes out to see the city. He walks around, and askd directions for nice places to eat and drink. He is careful to avoid places that could land him in fights, but otherwise enjoys a day in the big city. He makes a point to be back when his siblings told him they would be back.

  17. - Top - End - #527
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on: Her balance

    When Sam comes into the Jovial Juggler Caelee has certainly been drinking, but appears to be in control of her faculties. She's standing with a group of people laughing like loons in one corner of the bar, all with empty glasses. When she spots Sam she makes her way across the room, nearly tripping over her own feet at one point but recovering by putting her hand on a passerby's shoulder. Sam! Sam! Sam! I just heard the funniest joke in the whole world! You see, a gibberlin, a boblin, and an orc walk into a bar... She pauses, scrunching up her face for a few seconds. I can't remember how the rest goes, but it was SO FUNNY! She leans in and hugs her brother, hands on his broad chest for support. Is it time to head back already? Did you win? Is it still tonight or is it morning yet? She laughs again, apparently having the time of her life.
    The Bear is Back.

  18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show

    Sure enough, the dwarf doesn't pay much attention to Spider-Grepha and once he's removed his armour has a quick wash, makes sure his doors are locked, and heads into a sideroom. Loud snoring occurs almost immediately - clearly an easy sleeper after killing a man.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

  19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    Laughing more at Caelyn's state than at her joke, Sam helps her stand up straight. "Oh wait, let me guess. And then the orc says, 'Ouch.'" He puts one of her arms around his shoulders to help her walk on the way back. It looks like she's ready to faceplant the minute she tries to walk down stairs. "You all settled up at the bar?"

    Once he makes sure they aren't drinking and running, so to speak, Sam helps Caelyn back out and on the way towards the inn they'd all booked says at. "I actually made some winnings! Walked away with uh," with his free hand, he counts on his fingers. He may not be as drunk as Cae, but the couple glasses of wine still make math difficult. "Six? Six times what I bid. Haha, maybe my luck is turning around! What'd you get up to? Make some new friends?"

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show
    Slipping out of her hiding place, Grepha morphs back into imp form, her shape fading away into invisibility as she does. The dwarf is clearly a stickler for being paid, and if she knows his type - and she does - he has it stashed somewhere around here.

    Skulking around in the dwarf's house while he sleeps, she pokes around for his savings.


    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Grepha
    Perception: (1d20+1)[16]
    Investigation: (1d20)[9]


  20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show

    It's unlikely that Grepha stumbled on his life savings in the main room, but sneaking open the drawers on the desk reveals a small big of coin that's suitably unattended. If she's satisfied with this haul, her exits routes from the room are limited - the front and back doors are locked, and he the dwarf took the key with him. The wooden shutters used in place of a window are latched, but not locked. There's no chimney to speak of.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

  21. - Top - End - #531
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

    Ouch! That's funny, Sam! She stumbles back to the bar and leaves some copper on the counter for her wine, needing Sam's support to get there. Then it's time to go back, which she manages to do with the grace of a one legged ogre. Six times! I'll have to play one of those silly games with your sometime. We can get lucky together! Once she is out in the street she begins to sing, not terribly loudly but her tune wavers periodically.

    Under the light of the moon, the moon,
    I met a man and he crooned, he crooned
    He sang me sweet songs under Selune, Selune
    We shared kisses like wine to the tune, the tune
    But in the morning he stole my for-tune, for-tune
    Love made me drunk like a buffoon, buffoon
    My heart was broken too soon, too soon
    So now my heart aches with the moon, the moon!



    Caelee begins to repeat the song a second time, making up new verses that don't quite rhyme as she goes.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-25 at 12:53 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  22. - Top - End - #532
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Senna later knocks at Garrick's door, with a small bundle of cloth in hand. Her cheeky grin radiates from her face. As she is inside, she reveals her grand package. It is a set of six bells. I thought you would like to see that. Storyteller usually know about stuff like that, and this stuff is so exciting I can barely wait. Senna removes her boots and sits on Garrick's bed, to try and find the right way of ringing them. These are some of Silke's stuff. I can't seem to find the right frequency. I simply lack the understanding of music, of rhythm. Can you help me out? she looks at the pretty bard.

  23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    "A piece of advice to a budding gambler: never gamble while this drunk," Sam half-carries the staggering drunk as she sings through the streets. The neighbors probably aren't very pleased, but if they live in the tavern district they're surely used to it by now. Sam shows no signs of annoyance at the off-key tune.

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show
    Plucking the bag of coin from the drawer, Grepha feels the weight of it. Not the best haul, but then she would have difficulty flying away with much worth writing home about. Without much care for being heard - what, is the dwarf going to sprout wings and chase her? - Grepha unlatches the wooden shutters and opens the window. Still invisible, she flaps away into the dark with a pouch of gold ill-gotten twice in one night.

    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-05-25 at 02:25 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    With Sam escorting the lightweight Caelyn back to the Sheaf, the siblings are almost all reunited - save Senna, who spends the night with a sleepy Garrick trying to figure out the bells - honestly he was more moral support than anything else. Grepha's journey back to her master is without incident, and the dwarf is none-the-wiser about the source of the theft. The beds at the Sheaf aren't what you would call luxurious, but it's definitely better than a night under the stars. One advantage of being a 'local' inn - noise isn't a big factor once the regulars all go home, which might be lucky for Caelyn's head. Senna taking her bell experiments to a whole other inn is probably an unintentional but welcome boon to the party's sleep.

    Morning comes all too soon it seems, with dawn breaking as early as one might expect for peak summer. Light clouds seem to be the order of the day. Birds are singing as the town begins to wake and prepare for another day. Already you can hear the creak of wagons, the clop of hooves and birdsong fill the air. Garrick never did make it to bed, instead he and Senna fell asleep against each other sat on the floor. You did manage to crack two of the seven bells before you both dropped off, and he's a much heavier sleeper - Senna will almost certainly be the first to wake up.

    The Sheaf is quiet and practically deserted in the main room. It wouldn't be a stretch to say you're the only guests here. The halflings offer breakfast (and more booze, or just water) if the party needs it, but a new day is here.

    Spoiler: Grepha
    Show
    Grepha successfully steals 47gp.
    Heist Successful.
    Elen Verin avatar by Squark.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC

  25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    Waking up from his slumber, Sam clears his throat and sits up in his bed, stretching. There's still no sign of Grepha, he notes, with slight concern. But she's not dead; he'd have felt it, and she'd be back here in her spirit form. Twisting out from under the cheap blankets, he starts to get himself dressed. While he pulls on his shirt, he closes his eyes and focuses, trying to see through Grepha's eyes.

    He finds her perched on one of the windowsills, in raven form, watching the passerby on the street. Satisfied that she's not in some trouble, Sam opens his eyes and resumes getting ready.


    Meanwhile, perched outside of Vyvian's window, Grepha sits with a pouch of gold beside her on the windowsill. She turns and checks again if the little thief is stirring yet, and pecks at the window with a rap, tap, tap.

  26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 24/24
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

    "Uuuugh. What do you want? Go away." Vyvian grumbles in response to the tapping at the window, still half-asleep.

  27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    "Lazy girl," the bird outside her window caws. Grepha turns and regards the pouch of gold. If she brings it straight to her 'master' there will be questions, and his goody two-shoes legs will probably get a hammer to the knees for his good deeds. She reaches out and jingles the coins with one of her talons. "How's that for a wake-up call, hm?"


    With his leather cuirass and guards strapped on, Sam descends from his room to the tavern. "What's on offer for breakfast, my friend?" he asks, taking a seat at the bar. Then he leans in and asks, "Know any good hangover cures? I can think of a certain someone who'll need it this morning."

  28. - Top - End - #538
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

    Caelee makes her way downstairs, head hanging low, cheeks pale, eyes hooded. She drags her feet as she makes her way to the bar, climbing onto a stool with similar effort that most would give to climbing a mountain. Food. Water. Please. Her elbows go to the bar, holding her pounding head in both hands, eyes closed. Then the world seems to shift under her , her face turns green, and she nearly falls off her stool in her rush to get outside. The sound of her retching can be heard from outside for several minutes before she returns, looking even paler and shaking a little. She picks up the stool and sits down on it, head going down to the bar this time. "No food. Just water. Please." Instead of food she removes a strip of willow bark from her herbalism pouch, slowly beginning to chew it.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-25 at 06:52 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

    Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 24/24
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

    "Uugh! Fine!" Vyvian replies to the incessant disturbance and gets up. She opens the window and takes the bag, looks in to see the coins, and narrowing her eyes suspiciously asks, "Where did you get this?"

  30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    "Well, some poor sucker died for it," Grepha starts, then adds with a chuckle before Vyvian can flip out, "And then I stole it from his murderer." The window now open, the raven hops onto the floor and shifts into her true form, prowling into more open floor space.

    "Far as I can tell, the sap didn't settle his debts. This is the sort of thing you like, yes? Stealing from the big bad rich folks who oppress the poor?" She looks up at Vyvian, like a cat that just dropped a dead mouse at its master's feet. "Perhaps next time you go shopping, you will remember Grepha. I would go myself of course, but none of these superstitious country bumpkins would serve a fiend that waltzed into their store."


    Down below, Sam looks over at Caelyn's pale face and doesn't comment, keeping it quiet as he can.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •