New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Iron Crisis (IC)

Prologue

You’re shaken awake one morning. Your foster father, Gorion, tells you that you need to collect your things and prepare for a journey, to meet him by the gates once done. He drops a coinpurse on the table and vanishes out the door. As you shake away the last remnants of sleep, you hear him do the same with your other “siblings”, foster children he’d brought back from who knows where – a childhood before Candlekeep long since forgotten. He doesn't answer any questions, just insists you bring only what you can carry for the journey and that it's urgent. Once you're all awake he disappears to the upper level of the keep

Sun’s first light is just bleeding through the windows. Your rooms were sparse when you were first given them – only equipped with a bed, a chest for clothes, a chair and a reading desk, though they've no doubt been filled up with knick-knacks in the years since. Outside your windows you can already hear the world begin to wake up with you – the gentle clang of guards moving in their metal armour for dawn's shift change, the burbling chants of the priests giving morning prayer and the hustle of the caretakers moving inventory back and forth. The scent of stone and paper has been a constant companion in your time at Candlekeep, and today is no different.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Aintas

Aintas is still up in a daze. He has been expecting such a day for along time and now that is is here... it is strange.

With practiced movements, he makes his bundle, takes his weapons and puts out the armor. He goes down to the kitchen, picks up a bite and coffee, if there it is there, and fills his waterskins. He says his goodbyes to the cooks and to the monks which are there.

Awkwardly deflecting the questions, Aintas finishes his breakfast, slurps down another coffee or milk, and goes to wait by the gates.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Upon the utterance of the word "journey" Caelee gives a whoop that may wake up or startle her brothers and sisters. She is up in a flash, packing and hustling around their room, whispering excitedly as she gathers her things. As she has practiced dozens of times over the years, she organizes her pack and gear in the most optimal fashion she can for long travel. Going, going, going on an adventure! she says in a singsong voice as she laces her boots, having to restart several times in her excitement. Once that is finally done she scoops up Tal Kess and rubs her nose to his, grinning ear to ear. Are you ready Kess? The outside world isn't going to know what hit them when we get out there! She places him in a small bag she wears at her hip, just big enough for the bunny to poke his brown head out, before making a dash to the gates at top speed, nearly bowling over several monks in her urgency.

When she arrives, she finds Aintas there and nearly jumps on him in a massive hug. Aintas! We're leaving! Isn't it great?
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard
    AC: 13 HP: 8/8
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --

Caelyn's whoop brings Melian out of her trance before her foster father enters her room. The wizard then starts packing her belongs neatly in a well-tended pack. She starts with a handful of books before realizing these books are not hers, but Candlekeep's. The realization and the sudden emptiness of her bedroom fills her with sadness. Well, might as take take these back; Tethtoril will need them to teach the next generation of assorted orphans, she thinks to herself with a bittersweet smile.

Pile of books in hand, she makes her way to the central keep and drops them off with one of the librarians. She catches Tethtoril's eye and thanks him for the years of training, giving the older man an awkward but heartfelt hug.

Melian then proceeds to the town Inn, where she hears Winthrop's booming voice regaling visitors with often-repeated half-invented stories. She purchases some rations for the road and tells the big man she hopes to see him soon. And adds, with a wide smile, that he should stop comparing his Inn to an elven arse. She can hear his raucous laughter well into the garden.

She cuts through the keep's garden enroute to the gate, for a final look at the manicured hedges and flowerbeds. The Chanters are gathered, today they have chosen a collection of the sage Alaundo's works. She walks by them, fondly recalling sitting on a garden bench, reading and listening to their pleasant droning. Before she's out of earshot, one of the Chanters intones "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passing. So sayeth the wise Alaundo." A shiver runs through Melian's spine, chilling her to her core.

Silently, she makes her way to the gate to meet her siblings and await their foster father.

e: reformatted post. I really like your post format, Ramsus!
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-03-29 at 01:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas had just gotten his pack under control vis-a-vis his pack when Caelyn jumped onto him like an elf-sized projectile. He just managed to take the glaive of her trajectory and catch her with one hand before she was on to him.

But he was smiling. His morose mood was dispelled.

"Yes we are, Caelyn! All these walks in the woods around here will now come in handy.

And you know, we are the only two who have done this kind of thing. And Father, of course, but he has done everything. So we will have to help the others along. Perhaps find food,water and shelter. Especially you. To be honest, you are better at it than I am."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

I am? I guess so... I'll make sure I'm there to help father out and keep you all fed and comfortable, if you will keep us safe from bandits or ruffians or... whatever is out there. And no one better threaten to eat Kess again! She retreats from the hug and turns to see Melian coming towards the gate. She gives an enthusiastic wave to her and gives a shout that cuts through the morning quiet. Melian! We're going on an adventure! Isn't it great!!! Kess chooses this moment to wiggle out of the bag at Caelee's hip and bounce away a few steps. Caelee immediately moves to follow him, cooing out his name as she tries to catch the rabbit.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

Vyvian takes her time collecting her things, separating the things she'll be taking and those she'll be leaving behind. As she says goodbye to her room she's also practically shivering with excitement, nerves, and worry about this journey. It'd been a long time since she came here. She hadn't much enjoyed the part of the world she'd experienced before. But still, part of her was anxious to spread her wings, see new places, do new things, meet new people. However she was also worried for her siblings. As far as she knew none of them knew just how rough and unforgiving the world out there could be. Yes, it was full of wonder and joy to be had. Which she herself basked in as much as possible. But it could be just as cruel and dark. She was worried the others weren't prepared for that. She'd never been able to think of ways to handle that without ruining their sense of wonder, aside from subtly encouraging those that needed it to learn how to defend themselves.

Then such worries flew from her head as she'd found she'd finished her packing and sorting. What was left was less than she had expected, though she shouldn't really be surprised. She gave away more trinkets than she kept for herself, a practice she intended to keep up with as she was out there in the world. Because if she wasn't going to bring a bit of joy to it, make it at least a bit of a better place, why even leave?

She ponders her collection of remainders and announces aloud to herself, "Time for your biggest mission yet Vyvian!" And so she goes leaves her room, not leaving things behind but to leave them with others.

First she sneaks into Gorion's room, leaving behind a book of limericks so he'd have something to make him laugh without them... assuming he wasn't coming with them on the whole journey. At this thought she shrugged to herself, not sure what the plan was.

Next under the door of the chamber of every monk she slid a piece of paper of her childhood drawings or failed attempts a diaries or poems, so they'd have something to remember her by.

Then down onto the kitchen where she brazenly walked through, slipping jewellery into the pockets of the cooks with every turn as she also more obviously "stole" a meat pie and an entire pie sized tart both of which she finished off while chatting with them to keep their attention from the gifts she was leaving them. She left and came back in to needlessly loudly enjoy two bottles of flavored milk, one chocolate and one strawberry. With an appreciative belch she waved them goodbye.

From there she went about town to the homes of the poorer children and teenagers (yes she knew every child in town) and cracked open their windows or the like and left behind her clothes from when she was younger or those she wouldn't be able to take with her as fit the person she was leaving them for. At least, she hoped they'd all fit without too much need for adjustment in the case of the older kids closer to her own age.

Next on to her favorite merchants or market sellers. She left them each with coins of strange appearance and foreign origin she'd collected over the years.

Then from her most disliked merchants she took a single item. So she'd have something of Candlekeep to give out on her journey.

And finally the guards, this was a tough one, but she did it. On the person of each, she tucked in a pressed flower, little tool, colorful glass marble, leftover die or chess piece, or the like. In the case of the one she'd had as a brief lover she left behind a scarf he'd said looked good on her, so he could smell her and forever wish every women he was with thereafter was as wonderful as her.

With her sack of gifts empty, she made her way to where Gorion on the others were probably impatiently waiting for her.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Senna

Senna was already silently praying at her writing alcove in the community room, silently reflecting on the significance of last day in her prayer book. Sam mockingly called it her diary, which of course couldn't be more wrong since Glyphscribes of Deneir recorded their every business, be it official or personal, in these records. As Gorion stepped in, she was nearly done.

Her foster father's hurried response scared her. She knew he was an important man, and a powerful mage to boot. Whatever agitated him this much must be scary. Yes father, I will be ready to depart by the ninth bell. she ensured him. then she started packing. Almost forgetting the essentials - if it weren't for Aintas she wouldn't even have packed a blanket - she added along her first copy of an interesting book she had recently studied and copied herself: A small lexicon on divine portfolios and their new assignments during the Year of Shadows.* She decided to make this both her project for her ordination as glyphscribe, and to settle a minor argument she had with Sam, that his deity is not Bahamut but actually a lesser aspect of the Untheric deity Marduk.

Her small Calico cat, a silent but hefty predator assisted her by snooping around, sitting on important items and meowing at Senna. No, there is no second breakfast. I sometimes think you've been raised by halflings. she grumbled at her familiar, well aware that it was a part of her own essence**, not even necessarily needing to be around physically. But Senna enjoyed her company.

After packing her things, the last item Senna picks up is her last birthday present. She was cross with Gorion for a week for gifting her such a brutal reminder of the hostile outside world. It was a dagger emblazoned with a whirling glyph, Deneir's divine symbol. But it was no small knife to cut a quill or parchment. It was a blade, a bit shorter than a short sword, designed for combat, for murder. I know you are all about attaining enlightenment. But sometimes, you need to defend your own world in order to have a chance at it. he said, with a gravitas in his voice that reminded her that he himself must have been forced to fight for his own ideals.

Usually she gravitated towards Melian for problems like that, but questions about open conflict were maybe better suited for her brother Aintas. As she found him in the mess hall, she sat by him, stealing off his plate. Aintas, how do you decide when someone should be fought? He could tell she was bursting with questions and anxiety. But she tried to keep the questions coming one at a time.***

* I hope this is not too presumptuous.
    ** I deducted 10g from my starting money to summon my familiar. As she is part of my own person, I think choosing 'fiend' for its base type is more fitting.
    ***Should we meet for a communal breakfast to RP for a bit?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas greets his siblings as they come. While making idle chatter, he makes sure their packs are balanced, straps tight and things well packed. He does not make a big deal out of it, he just keeps talking as he tightens a strap, secures a waterskin or moves a weapon sheath just to the right, so as not hamper movement. He also keeps checking his things are OK.

I must show no hesitation. My brothers and sisters are counting on me.

The question of Senna catches him in midstride. For a second, he stops but then forces a reassuring smile on his face.

"I don't know Senna, I was hoping that you would tell me. You are closer to gods than most of us, right?

But I can tell you one golden rule: Someone tries to really hurt you, he is getting one foot of steel in his stomach."

10. - Top - End - #10

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard

Downcast, Melian walks slowly to the gate, where she finds most of her siblings eating an impromptu breakfast. Caelyn's jovial call dispels some of her moroseness as she sees the tiny rabbit hopping to and fro. Melian waves a hand and conjures up an image of a delectable carrot on the bunny's path to slow it down.

"Good morning to you Caelyn," she says with a smile. "And to you both." she adds nodding to her big brother and bookish sister.

"Someone's excited about this adventure!" She winks at Caelyn. "I think I can feel the outside world calling, but I already miss this place."

Spoiler: Minor Illusion
    Show
    A glistening, bright orange plump carrot the likes of which most self-respecting rabbits would have a hard time saying no to.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, Deneir is concerned with knowledge for the good of all races. We are taught again and again to use force as a last resort. But sometimes I think I hesitate too much. Remember the time that merchant - Delimbiyr was it? - tried to sell my this book, and then you showed up just before he tried to rob me? Senna recalls. I expect many more people like this outside. Anyway, should we be departing for the gate? I promised Father to be punctual.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Are you kidding? Caelee sends a beaming smile at Melian as she catches up to her rabbit and scoops him up. I've been waiting for today for fifteen years! The rabbit seemed disappointed with being caught by an illusionary carrot as Caelyn brings the beast up to her face and nuzzles it. I wonder where we're going? Could it be a forest? Or a mountain? Or maybe even to that city Vyvian is from? She couldn't be more excited, but when her sharp ears pick up on what Aintas and Senna are discussing, she goes a little pale and silent for a few moments, holding her pet and trying not to think of Aintas actually needing to kill anyone, let alone herself needing to do it. It put a stone in the center of her stomach that made he wish she'd skipped breakfast.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

"Sure, let's get going.

And I am sure that when push comes to shove, you will not hesitate. In fact, if I remember, you were handling that Delimbiyr fellow just fine by the time I came by. I am sure that he will remember that kick for a long while. Any prospective girlfriends will, too."

But he puts his arm briefly around his sister

"We will be OK. Father will know for sure."

He looks around and counts heads. He then lets a sigh and says in a heavy voice.

"Where is Sam? And Vivyan?"

The 'again' part is left unspoken.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10

Grasped by the shoulders and shaken in bed, Sam's outer eyelids groggily flicker as he looks around in the early dawn light leaking through the window curtains. The familiar figure of his foster father stands over the bed, urging him to get up and pack his things. Sam grumbles and lays his head back down, "C'mon ol' man, it can wait like five minutes can't it?"

The response is the hand washing basin in the corner of his room being dumped on his head, soaking him and his pillow. Spluttering and sneezing some water out of his nose, Sam looks around in shock. "Pops what the hell..?" But Gorion has already marched out of the door, leaving it hanging open a crack. Sam can hear him giving the next room over the same wake up call... only with less water.

Sitting up in bed, Sam wipes his eyes and face off and hisses out a sigh. He shoots a glance over at his beside table, where another familiar figure is sitting on the edge leaning forward, elbow on her knee and head resting on her hand. The imp's face is twisted into a satisfied sneer, tail swaying back and forth and passing through the unlit bedside candle as if it weren't there. "Damn that Gorion, getting to dump water on your head. I've wanted to do that since the first time I had to watch you lie around for twelve hours."

Ignoring the devil's comment, Sam throws off his blankets, leaving them strewn around, and practically falls out of bed. Where did Gorion say we were going? Sam thinks to himself, fumbling with some of his drawers and haphazardly tossing some things into a bag. The only thing he takes care with is making sure his ink vial doesn't leak all over his spare set of clothes. As an afterthought he tosses his candle in and stuffs one of his blankets on top.

Tying shut the overfull bag, he picks out a set of clothes for the day. Something comfortable if they're going on a trip, but he wants to look good too. He spends a while trying on different things and checking himself in the mirror, the imp heckling his outfits. Eventually he settles on a dark red tunic and some plain brown slacks.

"There's no point color coordinating with me."

"Maybe that's the joke, Greph." Checking one last time in the mirror, Sam pops the collar on his tunic.

"Tall red collar. Very vampire chic."

"Vleh!" holding up his fingers next to his mouth like fangs, Sam sticks out his tongue, earning an eye roll from the captive audience to his buffoonery.

Sam notices the weapons tucked in the back of his closet, laid atop a leather cuirass. The ones Gorion had insisted he practice with now and then. Of course he'd been neglecting his training, but the old man would probably chew him out if he didn't bring them. Putting the cuirass on over his tunic, Sam slings the crossbow across his back and daggers at his sides, alongside a handaxe in case he needs to chop any branches for wood and a quiver of bolts with a leather cap on it - to keep them from falling out.

The room is left ransacked and in disarray when he leaves it - so not much different from its usual state. The spectral imp flaps over to sit on his shoulder, knowing she'll just be yanked along if she gets too far away.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

As soon as Aintas brings up his name, Sam saunters in the door to the communal kitchen his siblings are all gathered in already, with a relaxed stride, a bag stuffed to the brim hanging over one shoulder. He spins it around and drops it on the floor next to the table. "Mornin' ladies, and Ains. Anybody catch where the old man said we're goin'?" Sam snaps a pair of finger guns at the room and grabs a piece of stale bread from last night, sitting on his usual stool.

"He said he's kicking you out and to get a real job," the invisible, inaudible passenger on his shoulder squawks in his ear.

"Besides that he's kicking us out to get real jobs."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Just in time to interrupt whoever was going to reply to Sam but not in time to hear what Sam said, Vyvian shows up and places an entire wheel of reddish colored cheddar cheese and a few salamis down on the table with a bit of a thud. She slices a bit of cheese and salami with a knife she whips out from somewhere and snatches the bread out of Sam's hands and takes a bite of all three and gives Sam a wink.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Sam looks down at his empty hand as the bread vanishes, keeping his poker face as best he can - but he cracks up a little when Vyv bites into her sandwich to discover that it's yesterday's stale bread. Grabbing a stick of the fresh salami no doubt knicked forom the kitchen, Sam bites right into it, giving Vyvian a satisfied grin. "Whosh the real winner?" He asks around a mouthful of food.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-03-29 at 07:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian gives Sam a broad smile and throws an arm over his shoulders and replies, "Oh clearly you. Because you've got me for a big sister and I've got you for a brother." and then hangs her head in mock shame at her "loss" though she can't keep the smirk off her face.

18. - Top - End - #18

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard

"Vyv, I hope you didn't clean out the larder this morning, the monks will be needing to break their fast as well," she says in mock seriousness.

Melian chuckles under her breath at her siblings antics. She cuts herself a bit of cheese and bread and nibbles at it, still apprehensive from listening to the Chanters.

She takes stock of Gorion's wards and her spirits are lifted somewhat. We are a capable group, she thinks to herself. And with a Sage like Gorion leading us we'll make a better life elsewhere.

And as she observes her brothers and sisters she can't help but mutter in Elvish, possibly to reassure herself.
    Spoiler: Elvish
    Show
    "We're going to be just fine."

Last edited by cigaw; 2020-03-29 at 09:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

You two are LATE. Caelyn put on her best authoritative voice and face as she turned to Vyvian and Sam. She often would use this face when she was being a superbly serious "older sister", and she didn't know her family were starting to catch on. Vyvian, you should set a better example to Sam than this. Punctualism is more important than meat and cheese in the morning! She shakes her head dramatically and turns away in mock disgust. Without thinking about it she began to look around for Gorion, because as soon as he showed up they could GO!
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-29 at 08:27 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

By the time your gear is collected and your goodbyes said the sun blazes high in the sky. Gorion casts an eye over the assembled group, nodding in approval (though some of it is more hesitant than others). His face is strained, tired. He is not a young man to begin with, but today the lines of age seem especially deep. He coughs for silence. “I'm glad you came so quickly. I am sorry for the haste, but circumstances have changed rapidly." He pauses for breath and, almost, perhaps, saying goodbye. "Listen carefully. If we ever become separated, it is imperative that you make your way to the Friendly Arm Inn to the east. There, you will meet Khaleid and Jaheira. They have long been my friends, and you can trust them.” Without waiting for a response, he nods to a robed monk stood a short distance away. The monk begins to chant and magic crackles in the air.

For a moment, the world goes dark and silent – all the ambient noises, the birds, the wind, the bustle of people, the crashing waves, they all vanish leaving you in total silence and blackness. There is no breeze, no smell, no touch. You are alone. Truly and completely alone.

Then you're back, now stood outside the enormous gates together with Gorion. The walls loom over you, though they're far more ominous from the outside. The same safety they offered before is now turned against you.

With a quick “Come,” Gorion moves down the path. He doesn't look back. Gorion keeps an exceptional pace for a man his age, and it's all you can do to keep up. There's little time or breath to talk. Any questions to him are met with a simple “Don't worry, I'll explain everything when there is time.” His voice is kind, but firm.

Hours pass. Each new tree and rock and bush passes by and starts melding into one. Even with the sun setting behind you Gorion doesn't slow. In the gloom of night, almost as if encouraging himself as much as you, he says “We must press on – we must find shelter soon.” He doesn't look back at you but suddenly juts out his arm to hold the group back and comes to a stop. “Wait! There is something wrong. We are in an ambush. Prepare yourself!”

From the treeline in front of you, shadows emerge. Men and ogres, weapons at the ready. At their head a giant of a man – maybe seven feet – decked in full black armour adorned in spikes and skulls. They stop a small distance away with almost military coordination. The leader speaks, his voice deep and imposing, cutting through the darkness.
    “You're perceptive for an old man. You know why I'm here. Hand over your wards and no one will be hurt. If you resist, it will be a waste of your life.”
    “You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence.” Gorion retorts. “Step aside, and you and your lackeys will be unhurt.” The armoured man gestures to his followers.
    “I am sorry that you feel that way, old man.” He says, though there is no sorrow to be found in his voice. If anything, it's amusement. Then, as one, they approach. Arrows are nocked and magic glimmers around Gorion's hand.
    “Run! Get out of here!”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Some 30 feet ahead are six figures – the armoured man clutching an enormous sword in a single hand, a woman at his side - her shield emblazoned with a holy symbol, two half-ogres with battleaxes and behind them two men with bows.

Will you run? Stay to fight?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Everything moved so quickly for Senna. By the time she understood, she was teleported, and running away from the walls she never even had seen from the outside, she was already half a mile away.

During the afternoon her mind raced just as her breath burned in her lungs. She was not used to moving in her armor that long, let alone in that ridiculous pace. But seeing her father this concerned gave her the resolve she needed. As night fell, she became worried. Adventurers usually stopped by nightfall, for it were too dangerous with this many nightly predators around. She was right, but she was not about to face natural predators.

Senna clutches her dagger's sheat, then compares to the mere clubs the ogres wield. No, melee combat will be unwise. She aims at the archers, preparing for their rebuttal. Assuming they aim at her and not Gorion she has already won.

Spoiler
    Show
    Crossbow attack (1d20+4)[24]
    (1d8+2)[5]
    Reaction to cast Shield if both archers point at me, bonus action to cast Sanctuary on Gorion after he casts offensive spells.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Senna's bolt flies true, spearing one of the bowmen through the neck and dropping him instantly. "Kill the old man, capture the rest - alive!" The armoured man yells. Then, a flurry of movement. Gorion unleashes a bolt of lightning from his charged hand that streaks through the priestess, one of the half-ogres and the remaining bowman - the latter of which falls immediately. The other two are hurt, but press on with the rest of their group.

The half-ogres move to flank, with one swinging their axe at Aintas - though it thankfully goes wide. The priestess and the armoured man instead advance on Gorion, the former's weapon begins to glow brightly while the man hacks at your foster father with his greatsword. Gorion is forced back, the sword finding its mark and leaving a long bloodied gash in the the elderly mage's shoulder.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Initiative Order:
    Enemies/NPCs
    Caelyn
    Senna
    Vyvian
    Aintas
    Melian
    Sam

Don't worry about 'taking your turn' out of order though. It's really closer to group initiative as a whole so we don't have to wait for everyone to post in order, ya know?

The bowmen are dead (which is why they've got the little skull+crossbones marker).
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas
    AC 17 HP 12

After hours of walking, with Aintas making sure that noone is left behind and noone gets tangled up in the wilderness, his senses are dulled. As combat, what he has trained for, erupts around him. For a second, as his enemies close around him, he clumsily tries to attack one as he comes near but misses.

But suddenly, like a butterfly floating into his consciousness, he remembers Rax, the wirey glaivesman who Aintas had persuaded Gorion to pay to teach him, ten months ago.

Aintas had been doing mock exercises for hours, as Rax, a short man at his forties, was drinking wine in the shade ordering moves. Aintas though he had been doing very well, but Rax, his voice more and more slurry only grunted as a response. Finally, as afternoon settled in, Rax had suddenly ordered a halt. Leaving his shade, Rax had walked right to Aintas and had yanked his helmet strap to bring him eye-to-eye. Surprised, Aintas had remained transfixed as Rax's eyes suddenly became as hard as steel.

"Now listen boy and listen good. The day is getting short, so I have one more thing, and one only, to teach you. There are a lot of strong men carrying around glaives, eager to go and poke them at others. Some of them are even good at it. But they are not glaivesmen.

Listen now. Your job is not to run around, charging and weaving steel. In the field, you do one thing.

You. Hold. The. Line.

You go up, just close enough to fraggers, not running, just marching. If you have any javelins, you throw them. And you keep going. Let them shoot arrows. Let them throw fires. You stand there and take it. You will cough blood, you will have arrows sticking from your armor. Trust it. And keep moving. Make them see you coming.

And you don't let one pass you by. The others behind you are counting on you. You stand there and give hell to everyone that tries.

Because, boy, hear me well: After you get there, the line up to where you stand will be strewn with body parts and corpses. Just try not to be one of them. If you do that, again and again, then you are a glaivesman. If you can't find something else to do.

Now leave me. There is a monk just waiting to meet a real warrior and I intend not to disappoint her.

And boy: You are an idiot. Being a bowman is much easier. I should have been one myself."

Aintas could now see what that meant. His head clear, he assesses quickly the situation.

"Father, get behind me. I will hold them. Caelyn, we need you armor, in the flanks. Behind me everyone!"

Whirling his polearm around, he ignores the huge man and focuses on the cleric next to him, just barely within reach. He tries to trap her weapon and then slide the blade as she tries to disengage. He then suddenly yanks the ferrule back, hitting her again and bringing the glaive back to attention.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

Atk Glaive (1d20+5)[10] Dmg (1d10+3)[7] at the cleric
    BA Atk ferrule (1d20+5)[9] dmg (1d4+3)[6]

If someone within 10ft attacks or moves anyone but Aintas,
    AoO Atk Glaive (1d20+5)[9] dmg (1d10+3)[6]
    If hit, Speed becomes 0.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Your weak mind will be your undoing! Senna shouts. A bell tolls in the distance, sounding like the tower bells of Candlekeep. Her movement does not exactly support her confident insults as the young girl retreats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Toll the Dead, assuming the Armored Figure is injured: (1d12)[8]
    Will save for Armored Figure (without modifiers): (1d20)[9]

Moving just three space north of Melian.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn
    AC 14 HP 10

The teleportation left Caelyn a bit awed. She knew powerful magic when she saw it, and it always fascinated her. Then, just like that, they were outside the Keep. Her immediate desire was to dance and sing, spinning around in a circle and marveling at all she could see, but that was stopped quickly by Gorion's haste. As they traveled she kept spotting new and interesting things, and more than once she had to be yelled at to keep up with the group and stop dawdling. What is so important that I can't even stop to smell the flowers!?! She thought in frustration as they were ushered onward through the wilderness. She was just about to protest the pace and the fact that they were travelling at night (all her favorite books said that was a terrible idea) when Gorion held up a hand and stopped them. Then the armed figures came from the darkness, and Caelee's eyes went wide with fear. Oh no....

And just like that battle was joined. Gorion lashed the enemies with his powerful magics, and Aintas stepped into battle wielding his pole arm deftly. It was Senna who surprised her most, killing a man with a crossbow bolt immediately. After her anxious conversation with Aintas this morning, Caelee was proud of her swift decision making but mourned her loss of innocence.Oh Senna... you knew what you had to do before any of us... Then Gorion's blood sprayed into the air, and Caelyn's thoughts went from surprised horror to quivering rage in an instant. She drew her scimitar, a blade gifted to her by her father that depicted a slashing tiger down it's length, and nodded at Aintas' command. All right... ALL RIGHT! Hopefully following his command correctly, Caelee dashed through the undergrowth. She was always the fastest of her family, and it showed in the way she streaked like green lightning through the night. Moving past Melian, Sam, and Vyvian, she released a shrieking war cry in Elven before bringing her blade down at the cleric who menaced Gorion's flank, totally unprepared for her first combat but dedicated to doing her part to keep them all safe.

Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    Keep away from my family, fiend!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Moving to the square 2 to the south of Orion to try to create a battle line the casters can stay behind. Kinda wishing I'd picked the shield over the bow now. *Gulp*. Going to swing the scimitar at the cleric. (1d20+5)[21] to hit and (1d20+5)[21] damage. damage will be in the OOC because I messed it up.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-30 at 12:41 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

After a jolly breakfast, Sam is pulled away with the others with little explanation from Gorion. The old man is more cryptic than usual, and his worried haste is infectious, even to Sam. He's never seen Gorion like this.

In a flash they are outside the gates, and for hours they march. Sam does his best to keep up the pace, wondering at how the old man can move so fast for so long. A dense, black pit of worry forms in his stomach, realizing just how real this is. Something is wrong. Even Grepha on his shoulder has her quills raised in anticipation of something. "He's here." The imp's voice is a rasp whisper. Sam looks up, to see the figures striding from the treeline. He stands frozen in fear and awe. They advance, and Sam can only stare in terror as the towering man's blade rakes across Gorion's chest.

"Go. Gogogo. Run!" the voice on his shoulder shrilly insists, cutting through his stupor.

He wants to run. He wants to find somewhere to hide. But he can't just leave everyone behind. Aintas is already in the middle of it, and Caelyn running after him. Raising a hand, he points at one of the towering half-ogres and a bolt of crackling green energy arcs out. "Listen to him! We have to go!" he calls to his siblings. Even as the bolt leaves his hand, his feet are already moving, ducking into the trees to the south of the group.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Eldritch Blast on half-ogre next to Aintas:
    (1d20+5)[16] to hit
    (1d10)[10] force damage

Then Sam moves 5 spaces south, to the edge of the map.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-03-30 at 11:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard

Melian is completely taken aback by the violence erupting around her. She hesitates, eyes wide.

As her siblings rally around their foster father, the Wizard comes to grips with what is happening and stares straight ahead at one of the looming half-ogres. Her right hand draws her dagger as her left hand performs the gestures to bring forth an icy ray.

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Move: draw Dagger.
    Action: Ray of Frost vs Half-Ogre to South
    - Attack: (1d20+5)[19]
    - Damage: (1d8)[4] cold
    - Crit: (1d8)[4]
    - Slows enemy speed by 10’
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-03-30 at 11:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian was disappointed when it turned out she had in fact not managed to snatch a bit of the darkness between places when they showed back up outside of the walls. Though she wasn't exactly sure why that had been her instinct at the moment.

And then suddenly they were on a fast march through the woods in which their father wouldn't stop to catch a breath and explain what was happening. She got enough of this either over-explaining or no explaining stuff from her bookish siblings, so she couldn't be more annoyed at him behaving this way now when clearly something important was going on.

And then they were being attacked. Senna had killed someone. Father had flung lightning from his hands. Aintas had panicked and told Caelyn instead of Senna to step into the melee. And everyone was just throwing attacks around at random targets. Why couldn't they be more like her and just understand you need to swiftly go for the weak points.

Oh and there was a massive ogre guy right lumbering up to her little sister. Nope. Nope! Not happening. If Caelyn got her head bashed in because Aintas gave a bad order he'd never be able to live with himself. Better it's on me if I'm the one who gets hurt because I disobeyed orders.

And so Vyvian rushes forwards wordlessly, placing herself between Caelyn and the half-ogre as she draws two long blades and tries to slash past the shield of what she assumes is the cleric, their enemy's healer.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming Caelyn moved next to Gorion. I'm moving next to her, not technically next to the half-ogre.
    Sneak Attack applies since enemies are next to my target.

Attack on Cleric: (1d20+5)[16]
    damage: (1d6+3)[6]
    if crit: (1d6)[3]

Off-hand attack on Cleric: (1d20+5)[19]
    damage: (1d6)[4]
    if crit: (1d6)[3]

Sneak Attack: (1d6)[6]
    if crit: (1d6)[4]

Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-30 at 12:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Possibly distracted by Aintas, the cleric is too slow to bring her shield to defend against Caelyn's scimitar which finds a gap in her armour, though you can tell the cut is shallow. She grunts a little, but isn't stopped from deflecting the polearm strikes that swing at her, or weaving in between Vyvian's blades.

The bells toll over the armoured man who stops to take notice, but is barely perturbed. It buys enough of a hesitation for Gorion to unleash an enormous blast of frigid air that engulfs the man and one of the ogres. Both stumble back from the attack, and the ogre is quickly finished off from Sam's blast, falling to the ground dead. Meanwhile Melian's ray slows the remaining ogre such that he swings wide from hitting Caelyn.

Rallying, the cleric presses the attack, ducking Aintas' strikes and lunging at Gorion. She misses, but it's enough of an opening for the armoured man to plunge his sword into Gorion's side, knocking him to the ground. "Run...please...you have to run..." He mumbles, blood bubbling up around his lips.

To the north through the rustling trees, in the pitch black of the night you hear an inhuman scream - animalistic and hungry. Then another, then another, and another. Quickly it turns into a cacophony of sound. You seem to have attracted attention from more than just your ambushers. The cleric and the armoured man look to each other.
    "Leave?" She asks, her thick Kara-Tur accent coming through clearly. She was calm, but hesitant. The remaining ogre seemed the same, looking to the man for leadership - they'd lost three people already and had barely killed one old man. He seemed worried. And cold.
    "Finish the old man! We can fetch the rest later." He bellows. For a moment he very air seems to be blown back by the force of his yell.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

By what might possibly be her father's dying words, the last portion of Senna's confidence, she screams: They took two powerful spells and are still standing. Please, Caelyn, Vyvian, Aintas, be reasonable. And their priest hasn't even cast a spell yet. Her voice is shaking.

Purple orbs of energy loosen from her hands, hitting the southern ogre. She then moves south, away from the screaming.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile (3d4+3)[12]

Moving two west and one north of Sam.