Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 12 (11) HP: 24/24
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -Unarmored, Expeditious Retreat

It's hard to feel sympathy for the man when he's so blase about his brother's death. Sam is still relieved when Senna puts her weapon away and Aintas goes to get the guards. He breathes out a heavy sigh. "Do you know where the bird comes from?" he asks, hoping to get a last little bit of information out of Scrambles.

When the innkeeper arrives, Sam steps outside to ask him quietly, "Those herbs and stuff you got for Mel yesterday, do you have any more? If it's possible, could I get some in the morning?"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Scrambles is thoughtful for a moment. "When we were small time we had a guy up in Baldur's Gate - Whizzax. Pretty sure he's dead now. We just get - got? - the birds, we don't ask where they come from. Easier not to pry and poke around the underbelly. That's how you end up like Scrambles!"

"Oh I'm sure we can sort you out, we've got plenty on hand!" Bentley replies, almost tripping over his words in his rush to get them out. He's sweating a little bit, and it's probably not the weather.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #273

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 12 (11) HP: 24/24
    Conditions: -Unarmored, Expeditious Retreat

It wasn't a lot to go on. There was no middleman to question, just a bird- then Sam looks over at Caelyn and gets an idea. They do have a middleman to question. "...Where and when do you usually meet with the bird?"

"Great!" Sam pats the distressed gnome on the shoulder, gently so as not to knock him over. "Hey, take it easy. Just relax. Take a few deep breaths. Let's all get back to bed." He begins gathering up his things to move to a new room.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

Satisfied that a second attack seemed unlikely, Melian calls Fëanáro back. The pseudodragon follows her, flitting from furniture to windowsills as she walks.

She stops by Senna, pitching her voice low so that it carries only to her siblings and not the gnome, guards or assassin. "What do you think about these nightmares, Senna? Our entire group having them at the same time, including two elves who don't really dream, bodes ill. The only similar examples I can think of are divine portents or bard tales. Wish we had the library to research this," she says dejectedly.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 12 HP: 18/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -unarmored

Definitely a vision. But why would it affect all of us? Senna ponders. She comes back to Scrambles. Well, a promise is a promise. she says reciting her favorite verses of Deneir's teachings to heal the rogue. She then turns to Sam: You do realize he talks about avian couriers? They find you, you don't meet them anywhere. If we had such a bird, I think Caelyn could do something about it. But this way their employers remain anonymous, I'm afraid. But I agree. We should go back to bed. I need the sleep so we can solve the hobgoblin problem tomorrow...well, today.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

"Well you're part right. See I've...got...this..." Scrambles starts trying to move his hands to his pocket, but between the guards and the restraints finds it difficult. After a brief struggle against himself, he stops and sighs. "Look, just fish out the rock for me would you?" With a sigh, one of the guards slips a hand into Scrambles' pocket and extracts a small stone, maybe the size of a large coin. It's ovoid shaped, smooth, with a green tint not dissimilar to malachite and gives off a soft magical glow. It's eyecatching but somehow comforting, and as you gaze at the rock the patterns seem to shift hypnotically. "That there's how the birds find us. No idea when they turn up though - sometimes it's every day, sometimes it's a week, usually not more than two." The guard hands it off to Senna, before dragging Scrambles away.

Bentley takes a deep breath and forces a smile to Sam. "Of...of course."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Suddenly Senna is wide awake, investigating the stone. After a bit of consideration, she gives it to Melian, helping her to find out about its powers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Helping her for advantage on her Arcana check.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-18 at 02:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn remains silent through the interrogation, trusting her siblings to handle things. When all the questions she could think of are asked, plus a few more she hadn't considered, she nods in satisfaction. When Sam has the idea to track down the birds that were alerting the assassins to their targets, Caelyn smiles, eager to help anyway that she can. Turning to Melian and Senna, she says If a bird arrives to relay a message, just let me know. I should be able to make it sing a pretty tune for us with more information about our assailant's employers. That being done, she ponders what to do next. She feels fully rested from her trance, if a bit bedraggled from her first experience with dreaming, so she decides to follow Sam and Aintas' example and lean on the bartender for a free drink. She considers trying for more than one drink, but realizes that would be irresponsible, especially in the wake of the attack. If she had gotten drunk in the tavern the night before, she may not have survived the fight in the morning. So after attempting to get one drink she leaves the keep for a brief time to gather flowers for Vyvian, taking her time while most of her family sleeps to find examples of natural beauty, as well as some flowers with druidic and religious significance. Once that is done, she takes the flowers and leaves them in front of Vyvian's new room with a note attached. It reads Vyv, I hope these will make excellent gifts. Sincerely, Caelee. Then she goes to her room to relax, pray, and wait for the time to leave the Inn and strike out for adventure again.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

After relocating you to new rooms (that look deceptively similar to your old rooms, just on a different floor and without any corpses littering the place) Bentley bids you adieu and retires. He remains vague if asked about Scrambles' destined fate. The rest of the night passes quietly without further interruption. If you do manage to fall back to sleep, you're mercifully free from any more dreams, and dawn comes all too quickly.

The worst of the rain seems to have passed overnight, but the clouds still hang in a blue-grey overcast save the occasional breakthrough sunbeam. Below you, the smells of breakfast are already starting to waft up to compete with the stone around you and the dew-grass that's blowing in through open windows. A check of your hallway reveals no assassins or bounty hunters or armoured men, it's empty. Clean. You're safe, for now.

The food hall is quieter than last night - most people are presumably nursing hangovers or sleeping in. Bentley's certainly looking a bit more subdued, with the hints of bags under his eyes. There's also some guards in the hall, while last night they were all outside standing, well, guard. Jaheira and Khalid are already there, eating breakfast and chatting amiably. From a distance, Khalid seems quite comfortable, distinct from the twitching and stuttering mess you met last night, but perhaps it's just because he's one-on-one.

Bentley beckons at least a few of you over to the bar, and tugs out a jingling pouch that he pushes across, along with the materials for Sam's ritual. "As promised - a full refund and the materials that you asked for. Breakfast is on us too. Just flag down a server whenever you're ready." He doesn't seem to want to make eye contact - embarrassment is writ clear on his face.

Spoiler: Breakfast Offerings
    Show

Food: Blood pudding, Soft cheese, Curds, Raisins and berries, Nut bread, Oatmeal
    Drink: Fruit juice, ale or water.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #280

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24
    Conditions:

Before settling into bed for the night, Sam treks out to the keep courtyard, slug in hand. He kneels down at the bottom of the stairs and lets the tiny critter loose into the grass. "There you go fella."

"Why bother?"

Sam stands back up, watching the slug slowly slide away into the night. He wipes his slimy hands off on the keep wall. It doesn't help a lot, so he decides to wash up in his room. He recites a few lines from the Book of Dragons, "We are art as gods unto the little ones who tread beneath. When comes the day of judgement, and thy lord asks when he hast listed thine transgressions, 'why dost thou deserve mercy,' shalt thou reply, 'mercy have I given in turn'?"

Grepha rolls her eyes. "Yes, quote Bahamut to the devil."

"Even you have to admit, squishing it would have made a mess."

Taking silence as admission, Sam returns to his new room to wash his hands and rest.

Come morning, Sam descends to the barroom with an aching stomach. He gladly tucks away the ritual components for after breakfast and waves down a server. "Some bread and fruit juice for me, please. Deliver it to that table over there."

Having ordered, he makes his way towards the table he'd indicated, where their father's old friends are seated. In a singsong voice he greets them, "Good morning. Mind if I break bread with you?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-04-19 at 11:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna wakes up just in time for her prayer routine. Still wearing her dirty night gown, she proceeds as normal, like a psychopath. As she puts down her books, her dagger, quill, ink and feather, she suddenly sees the world in a lot clearer way. Nothing changes if your day doesn't go badly. What is important is that you survive, and you can live with your choices. Literature and art are not a way of life, but a supplementary to a struggle. Just earlier this year, Senna forgot incantations, because she was not feeling the weave, not understanding the tiny fractions of the metatext she unravelled. But now, that Gorion was dead, that nightmares and real dangers haunted her, she saw it clearer than ever: She can't understand the metatext. But she has to live not in a world of books, but in a world of danger. A world of friends and enemies. And she will do anything to make her friends survive with her. Divine insight or not.

Following that, she gives herself and her clothes a proper scrub, after which she goes down for breakfast. She chooses porridge with fruit and raisins, and follows up on Bentley: Thank you for the breakfast. I feel my brother was too harsh on you last night. We did not know that we are wanted right now. We should have informed you, that we had a violent encounter the other day. I'll spare you the details. You said something about a woman needing help involving a band of hobgoblin bandits? Before we leave, we would like to help her. So if you have any directions, I would like to know them, to cut down on the searching. Let's say, this is our thanks to your community for the free lodging. Senna smiles as she gets back her 7 gold pieces.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn returns to the common room after delivering flowers to Vyv and feels her stomach rumble. She flags a server and politely requests a portion of bread, raisins, and soft cheese along with some juice. Joining Sam, Jaheira, and Khalid, she sits down and turns to face the woman with naked curiosity in her eye. Jeheira, I've been meaning to ask you something. You have the dress and demeanor of someone who is familiar with the forests and nature. You wouldn't happen to be... say, a ranger? Or maybe even a druid? She can't hide her excitement as she asks that second question, her small smile blossoming into a hopeful grin. I'm a druid myself. Self-taught. I was hoping... well, I've never met another druid before, so I was hoping that may be the case.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Khalid twitches upon hearing Sam's voice, instantly thrown off balance, but he smiles as he offers Sam and the rest seats. "B-Bentley told us what happened last night. I'm s-sorry we weren't there. Ah, b-b-but it sounded like you dealt with it very well." He stammers out. "I-I'm sure Gorion would be proud of you for s-s-sparing that man's l-life. It's not easy d-doing that, especially in the heat of a f-fight, and especially not afterwards." For a moment you see age and experience begin to creep around his eyes and you can see he's not with you anymore, but back fighting a battle from months or years ago, replaying each movement in his head, but just as quickly it's gone and he's back with you.

Jaheira gives a warm smile, perhaps the first one you've seen on her so far, to Caelyn. "Nature's blessings do come to me, yes. I am glad to hear another follows the call of the wilds. If you have any questions, I will do what I can to help guide you. If you want me to, of course." Khalid smiles to the side at his wife. There's a pure love in his eyes, and for a moment the strength of their connection becomes almost visible, tangible in the room. Until another guest loudly slams their stool down which jolts Khalid and breaks his gaze.

"Oh lass, you don't need to apologise." Bentley sighs. "Getting too comfortable in my old age. Can't forget all I learned out on the road. Hunted or not, the Friendly Arm Inn's meant to be safe for everyone." He tutts to himself quietly. "Joia'll be thrilled to hear you're going after those nasty hobgoblins. If you follow the road out and turn towards the north, about halfway round the keep there's a path off further west through some overgrowth - Joia said they came from there and ran back the same way. I know there's an off-the-beaten path some smugglers use in that direction, that might be where they're holed up. I probably don't need to tell you but there's wild beasts out there too - so watch yourself if you do head out."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 24/24
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

When Vyvian exits her room in the morning she sees the note and the flowers. "Nice." she comments to herself and stores them for later, leaving behind one on her bed for whoever comes to change the sheets or whatever, and hoping to find further opportunities to give them out before they wilt.

Once downstairs she takes a seat besides Caelyn and has a bit of everything on offer for breakfast.

15. - Top - End - #285

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian spends a good part of the remaining night studying the small magical stone with Senna's help. Come sunrise she neatly packs her belongings and dresses for the road. Her familiar follows her closely behind.

Making her way downstairs she orders a bit of everything and finds a seat beside Vyvian at the table; Fëanáro coils himself on her lap. "Good morning, all," she says as she butters a hunk of bread.

"With Senna's help I was able to find something more about this little trinket. It's an interesting variation on something I believed was pioneered by the War Wizards from Cormyr, used to facilitate tracking and coordinating troop movements by a persistent Divination enchantment ingeniously adapted from the Arcane Mark formula but..." she pauses, catching her excitement and remembering not everyone is quite as interested in magical theory as her. "Well, it's a tracker. It's like a beacon to the birds or whatever mode of contact the assassins use and, while I'm not sure it can be reversed - at least not by someone of my magical knowledge - it can either give us a way of intercepting messages or make us literally a walking target if whoever tracks this finds out we have it."

She shrugs, placing the stone on the table, and takes a sip of juice. Fëanáro then pops his head up, trying to steal a bite of her bread. "Oh, and everyone, meet Fëanáro. Fëanáro, this is everyone," she says with a smile. The pseudodragon purrs loudly and tries to steal a grape from Vyvian's plate.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Can the stone's connection be reversed? Scrying and other methods? If so, what are the costs associated?

Arcana: (1d20+5)[17]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas gets down with everyone else, quietly saying his good mornings and casting a friendly smile to Bentley. He has very few things to offer or to suggest. He looks at Ferraro with barely disguised astonishment.

My sisters are getting very powerful indeed, very quickly...

When the talk of hobgoblins comes around, he asks Bentley

"Is there a way to ask Joia what happened? She may tell us some important details."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Jaheira's openness catch's Caelee off guard at first. Somehow she had expected that druids would be secretive and cloistered and... well... perhaps antisocial? Shaking her head to clear this thought from her mind, she grinned like a fool, and blurted out her first question. I know I'm never supposed to teach anyone who isn't a druid druidic. And that makes sense to me. But I learned it from texts in Candlekeep. They were really old and dusty, but the monks told me they were books written by druids that no one else could make out. I became... really focused on them. Stared at them for years on and off. But they never made any more sense. But then one day, I just... knew it. I didn't do anything different... at least that I know of... and I simply understood it all. Some of the texts said druidic is a magical language, but I don't understand how I learned it. Is that... is that normal? Caelee, having been babbling on for an awkward amount of time focused completely on what she was saying, blushed and began smearing the soft cheese and berries across the bread, taking a hurried bite to mask her nerves and catch up with everyone else's eating.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-19 at 11:55 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    Conditions: -

Don't be too hard on yourself, Bentley. You look not a day over 100. Senna smiles a sincere smile. If anyone asks for us, could you maybe just not mention us? I have noticed a small church next door. Do you assume the priests have a few bandages to sell? After receiving answers, Senna joins her siblings with her breakfast.

She catches the last words about Caelyn learning druidic. Caelyn, you are smarter than you give yourself credit for. Or at least, more dedicated. One of the major problems researching druidic lore from a scholar's perspective is naturally the lack of written texts in any form from some enclaves that forbid written records. But somehow you saw it, puzzled it together, and to say your grip on nature isn't half-bad is like saying Elminster is a decent wizard. Her porridge is cold by the time she is finished with her praise, when she sees the pseudodragon, she nearly drops her bowl.

Aren't you cute, little mister? Come here, Vyv, look at that cutie. Senna calls upon her own familiar. Surprised the cat recoils from the reptilian fey, hissing. Thanks for saving my butt last night, Vyv. she adds. I take it you are not injured?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, mum's the word. Khalid and Jaheira said much the same this morning. My wife's got some medical supplies at the temple next door if you're looking to buy." He nods at Aintas in turn. "Joia's house is just outside - you'll have passed it on your way in. She'll either be there or in the stables. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear someone'll help her. That ring meant a lot."

Jaheira reaches out and gently pats Caelyn's shoulder to reassure her. "Nature's gifts come different to all of us. For some raised in a circle they learn as a child, as naturally as any other language. Others it may come suddenly, a rush of inspiration. I once met someone who, like you, had it come to them in an instant, without any prior effort, and it helped set them to where Nature needed them. For me, it was a bit of both. The enclave I..." She pauses, perhaps not wanting to speak too much of her own past. "I learned bits and pieces from other druids and then one day, like you, it just clicked, like someone had lit a fire all of a sudden in my mind. You're not wrong at all. Trust me on that."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #290

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    Conditions:

"I'm not so sure about that," Sam answers Khalid's thoughts on sparing the assassin. He breaks a small piece off of his bread, turning it over thoughtfully in his hand. "I'm still not sure how to process that I've attacked, maybe killed people in battle. But I at least understand that you can't refuse to defend yourself..." He pauses, recalling his siblings with weapons drawn on the captured assassin. "Killing someone tied up and helpless on the floor. That's different. That's just murder."

The arrival of the little dragon sitting in Mel's lap distracts him from his thoughts. Sam reaches over to try and scritch the little fellow's head. "Well hi there Fen. I'm Uncle Sam."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"I'm fine. How are you?" Vyvian replies to Senna, clearly looking her over for any sign of the injuries she received the night before.

"Yes, it's very cute. Though I don't know why we needed a second one." and she shrugs, giving Sam a wink at implying Sam and the little dragon are the same thing.

A moment later when Sam is finished petting it, it tries to steal a grape off her plate. She allows it to do so, but only so she can catch it by the tail and raise it up to eye-level, arm outstretched so it can't bite at her nose or such. "Now now little one. Stealing isn't very nice." she says to it.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-20 at 12:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee smiles, feeling reassured. She'd always questioned whether or not she'd learned druidic in the "proper" fashion at Candlekeep, and that doubt had taken root in her heart. Feeling that concern pulled up by those roots was a liberating experience. Thank you, Jaheira. That's the only question I have for now, but I'll make sure to have more for the next time we meet. With that she begins eating her bread, cheese, and fruit combination with relish, her conversation turning more casual and fun. She gives a warm smile at the small pseudodragon, but her jaw drops when Vyvian picks the creature up by it's tail. NOnono Vyv! Don't do that! It must hurt the poor creature. Struck with a sudden concern, she turned to Melian and asked Sister, does that creature eat rabbits? Need I remind you that Tal Kess was a member of our group first. He has seniority.
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Well, nothing a short peek into the divine metatext couldn't fix. Senna jokes. But I don't want to waste these revelations for a mere few bruises. I have decided to use my old infirmary training and not just trust in Deneir's glyphs. I want everyone in tiptop shape when we go help Joia.

I'll go get some bandages. You can finish up breakfast and meet me at Joia's house. Aintas knows the way.
    With these words, Senna stands up, taking a last big bite of porridge, and goes outside. The fresh air helps her relax a bit. For the better part of the last two days, she was surrounded by her siblings, hurrying through the woods. She had a job to fulfill now. Even though she was no servant of Ilmater, no cleric of Lathander, she wanted to protect her family, to guide them through this dark time. With these thoughts, she stumbles into the shrine of Garl Glittergold.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-21 at 03:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian beams unabashedly at the attention her familiar got, chuckling happily at the notion of an "Uncle Sam". Only mildly surprised when Vyvian catches it by the tail, Melian grins at Caelyn's protests. "Don't you worry, Caelyn. He doesn't even eat as such; he's more of a manifestation of me than a real pseudodragon at this point." She stabs a fork in Vyvian's direction. "Or, I should say he's really a manifestation of us since I was thinking deeply of us when I summoned him and, well, there's a little of each of you in him. Yet, he has his own personality."

As she says so, Fëanáro tips his head to the side to contemplate Vyvian's admonishment and a long, forked tongue darts out just quickly enough to lick the tip of her nose.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas lays back content, after eating a significant breakfast. He always thought that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. He also thought that about lunch and dinner. He was against food discrimination.

After they are all done, Aintas sits up and says

"I will go and visit Joia. Anyone want to join me, if you are done?"

Alongside any of his siblings that want to come, Aintas tries first the stables, asking for Joia, and if she is not there, her house.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian laughs at the lick and places the little dragon on Caelyn's head as she gives a smile to Melian.

"I would, but someone should probably sell the leftover armor and weapons we don't need from those guys earlier. I'll meet you there." Vyvian says, and remains sitting for the moment to enjoy the rest of her meal. After a bit she feeds Fëanáro another grape.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

"It-it is." Khalid stammers. "But with someone at your m-mercy and the ad-adrenaline still pumping through you, it's easy to let yourself get c-carried away. To want to hurt those who h-hurt you, or your friends."

Jaheira and Khalid bid those leaving farewell - they'll be around a little long but plan to set out by midday, so most likely they'll be gone by the time you're back from your expedition. They'll see you in Nashkel as soon as they can.

Selling

Bentley points Vyvian in the direction of the stables. A room off to one side also doubles as a sundries story offering supplies for travelers - rations, equipment and the like. Hard cheeses, dried meats and pickled vegetables fill pots and jars along the wall. Large cloths used for tents or blankets are piled in trays to each side. Along the back wall, hung up, are a small selection of weapons and armour - nothing ornate or particularly impressive, merely practical, the stuff that you'd expect from a small non-specialist store.

Inside is an older man - maybe in his 40s, with a grizzled, roughly trimmed beard, utterly asleep in a hammock hanging behind the counter. He might be from Calimshan, judging from his complexion and what little you can make out of his face - obscured mostly by a book lying open across it. The clothes he's wearing do herald foreign influence - flowing blue silks wHis soft breathing is approaching snoring. There's a sign on the counter that reads, in none-too-neat handwriting, "If sleeping, leave money and take what you paid for." There doesn't seem to be any instructions for selling items when he's asleep though - you may have to wake him.

Bandages

The temple's atmosphere is entirely different to that of the keep at large. While the majority of the inn was all hustle and bustle, the temple is calm, cool. Its thick stone walls protect its serenity from the noise and smells outside. The first thing you notice is the sounds - a soft, pervasive trickling of water that twinkles melodically, the soft brushing of broom on stone, and the quiet humming of Gellana, Bentley's wife and head priestess (in fact, only priestess) of this temple to Garl Glittergold. As expected for a temple dedicated to The Priceless Gem, its walls are decorated with ornate precious stones and golden fixtures. No doubt paid for by their adventuring days.

Even if you wanted to, it's hard to hide your footsteps on the stone, and she's not surprised to see you enter. "Hello dear." She coos in a motherly tone. "What can I do for you today?"

Joia

A brief question at the stables reveals Joia is still at home, the stablehand happily pointing out which is hers once he's informed why you're asking. It's a small building of painted wood nestled against the keep wall, maybe two or three rooms at most you can judge from the outside, with a small fenced off area in front that looks to be growing vegetables. Her front door is propped open and you can hear the click-clack of knitting needles. She's inside, in a chair by a small fire knitting perhaps a scarf or cloak from thick wool. She's not much older than you are, pretty enough though it's marred somewhat by the cuts on her face and the enormous black eye that she's sporting. Dried tear streaks not washed away draw lines down her cheeks. She seems resigned to whatever comes and doesn't stand or look particularly put out if/when you enter. "Sorry, who are you?" She asks. Her voice is cracked and dry, a sign of overuse. All of it comes together to paint the picture of someone who cared and cried so much about something that they no longer care about anything, only going through the motions.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Enjoying the calm reflection possible only in a temple, Senna takes in the tranquility and peace for a moment before answering. Your husband Bentley recommended you. I will need bandages and medication for the troubles ahead. My siblings are raucous, sometimes frantic. And I will not resort to divine blessings every time they injure themselves. Senna has a serious face, that looks worried.

She frowns. Sorry, sorry. I did not want to bring this heaviness into a temple of the Joker. I know your god preaches not to worry too much. The girl is confused how to behave. Her instincts tell her to be silent and enjoy the air of the temple with dignity. But she does not want to kick Garl's teachings by being overly pious. Well, if you would sell me the things, I am on my way. We have agreed to help a woman in town before we leave for the south. she hastily adds.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas respectfully enters Joia 's house, in the pose that somehow conveys that if he had a hat, he would hold it in his hand. He is not very good at this sort of thing.

"Excuse me, madam, are you Joia? I am Aintas. I was told you are looking for help in finding a ring."

30. - Top - End - #300

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    Conditions:

Snickering at the antics of Vyvian and the little wyrmling, Sam chomps away at his simple breakfast of bread. "Well as much as I'd love to go prancing around the keep with all of you, I have some vitally important business to take care of in my room." He gets up and stretches, dropping his empty juice cup and plate off at the counter to save the servers a walk.

Climbing up the stairs to his new room on the third floor, Sam closes the door behind him and withdraws the herbs, brazier, and charcoal he'd been given by the gnome. Taking a seat crosslegged in front of them, he stares at the pile, then looks at Grepha expectantly. "Now what?"

"Ah yes. Sometimes I forget your complete ineptitude without me," the imp hops down from his shoulder to land on the floor. "I will trace the sigils with my foot. Just follow with the charcoal."

"Gotcha," Sam picks up the black lump and traces out a circle of symbols on the floor, following Grepha's direction. The process takes a while, since he has no knowledge or reference for the sigils and has to correct accidental mistakes now and then. Finally, the circle is complete, and he sets the brazier in the middle with the herbal mixture inside.

"And now," leaning down, Sam lets out a puff of flame into the brazier, lighting the ritual components.

"Good. The incantations are in Infernal. You remember what I taught you?" With a nod from Sam, Grepha leads the next part of the ritual. "Then repeat after me."

The next hour or so is spent chanting over the flame, which darkens and turns green as he begins speaking over it in Infernal.