1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 24/24
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

Vyvian reads the note and shrugs to herself. Then she goes to see if there's any better armor for her that would fit somewhere, but apparently there isn't. So she just gathers up the supplies for the three tents they need and places them on one side of the counter and places the two sets of leather armor, the quarterstaff, and the shortsword and shortbow Melian didn't claim on another part of the counter. She then leaves a few flower in the crease of the open book and walks behind the counter and calls out to the sleeping man, "Excuse me. I would like to sell some things and you didn't leave instructions for that."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Selling

The man stirs at your voice and slowly removes the book from his face. He glances at the piled up weapons and armour. He rolls off the hammock onto his feet, then bursts into an extravagant pose. "Ha ha! Welcome welcome. Just selling not buying? Sure there's nothing I can interest you in? Perhaps this oil of the dreaded Chult Viper, said to bring long lasting beauty to all who use it? You've got an honest face, so I like you, only two gold for a bottle." He pauses for effect, before continuing. "Hm? No? Perhaps these gloves, said to protect a delicate maiden's hands against men and elements alike." He pulls a pair of leather gloves from apparently thin air, showing them to Vyvian with flare and poise. They do look nice, but ultimately no different from gloves you'd find anywhere else.

"For the weapons and armour," He knocks three times on the counter and a section of it pops out on his side, to reveal a hidden gold storage. He slips his fingers into what sounds like a pile of coins and draws them out one at a time, dancing them across his fingertips before dropping them on the table. "32 gold and 6 silver coins." He bites one of the coins before glancing at it and throwing it back into the drawer and pull out another in its place. That one seems to meet his approval. "You are sure I can't interest you in the viper oil? For you, pretty girl, only one gold five silver. Okay, okay, one gold two silver, that's as low as I can go."

Bandages

"You're helping Joia? Oh good. She's such a dear, so brave you know. She stood up to those monsters when they came, said she wouldn't give them anything. Hasn't been the same since." She props her broom up against the wall and trots to a side alcove, a distinct spring in her step. She returns with an open box of bandages, salves and splints - all you'd need for field triage. "Five gold a box, and do be careful out there. You're still young, don't fight losing battles if you can run."

Joia

"Oh." She replies simply. She looks down at her knitting, splayed out across her legs. "No one helped me." Her voice is barely a whisper. She sighs quietly before managing to bring her head up again. "I can't pay you." Whatever she was expecting, it wasn't that you'd stay. Perhaps she'd seen more than one person come and go once they found out there was no payment. With your staying, she seems to find it in her to continue. Despite her cracked voice she doesn't stumble over her words. "I was on my way back home after gathering mushrooms - I do it fairly often. Then these...enormous monstrous men with tusks jumped out and surrounded me. They wanted everything I had. I said no, so they threw me down and just...took everything. My money, my mushrooms, my..." She pauses and swallows, the pause holds but she does continue, "ring. I don't care about the gold, or the mushrooms. I just want the ring. My dad gave it to me before he passed away, it's all I've got left of him. It's a flamedance ring - probably the only one they've got."

Spoiler: Flamedance Ring
    Show

A fairly common design for commoners and low-level merchants using a blend of metals to create a striking fiery mesh of colours. It often uses 'leftover' metals from other, more expensive rings. They usually selling for not more than a few gold at most.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"Sorry, no delicate maidens here." Vyvian replies with a warm laugh and accepts the trade of money and goods.

Then she goes to join up with Aintas.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Concentrating on:

With the last of her free time in the morning, Caelee spends some time in her room, letting Kess free to wander the room and grab some food of his own.Sitting down on the bed, she picked up her staff, a seasoned piece of ash that remains unmarked from either combat or adventuring thus far. Sliding it up one shoulder, she held the bottom in one hand. Nowhere to go from here but upward... start with your problems and carve your solutions, Caelee. She removed a small knife from her gear. It was a sharp woodcutter's tool meant for detail work, something she'd had save up for, waited months for, and purchased at a questionable price. Bringing the tool all the way to the bottom of the staff, she quickly and deftly carved her name, first in elvish, then in common, something that she'd practiced a thousand times (even into her headboard back in Candlekeep, much to her father's annoyance). Then she added a small rune of druidic that she'd adopted for herself that represented the sublime of the natural world- imposing and unquestionable beauty. If you're going to have a secret language, you at least get to pick a flattering name. she mused as she carved all this around the base of the shaft.

But that was the easy part. Next came the prioritization of recent events. What deserved to be on the story staff and what did not? The first carving should of course be Gorion's death, but she struggled to think of how to start that. When she'd imagined having a fully carved story staff, she'd always imagined the happy memories it would contain, not the bad ones. Still, she wasn't going to be able to move on to the rest of the staff unless she figured it out. So she decided first to carve Candlekeep's gate first. It was small but surprisingly detailed by the time she was done, and she felt she'd accomplished something of note. Carving Gorion's death could wait until after her next trance, when she'd had some time to best ponder how to approach it. Setting down her story staff, she instead picked a small, straight branch of white birch from her pack that she'd found while searching for flowers for Vyvian. This she had a different vision for. She spent the remainder of her time at the Inn carving an arrow shaft, an ultimately faster and less delicate job that soothed her mind.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-22 at 12:58 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -

The reality of the saying took Senna by surprise. Yes, that is what my father said too. With sadness in her heart, she packs her things and leaves for Joia's house. Arriving there, she knocks. As Aintas opens the door for her, she is quite surprised. I take it, the ring we are looking for is important? Or is this a matter of principle? Disallowing others to push around the weak. When she meets Joia, she does a small curtsy. Greetings. I am Senna, this is my brother Aintas. In total, we are six adventurers. We would kind of want you to tell us how big the group was that robbed you.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

As her siblings stand and leave for their own errands, Melian finishes her meal and bids Jaheira and Khalid farewell. Thinking the others had all bases covered, the elf returns to her room and gathers her belongings and then exits towards the keep's garden. She walks around for a few minutes, satisfying her curiosity about the keep's grounds before finding a stone bench within view of the main entrance. She sits down, retrieving her book from her pack to read for a moment before they inevitably set out. Her familiar nestles itself in her lap and oddly enough seems as entranced by the pages as Melian.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

With Senna now here, Aintas takes up the conversation.

"We will find your ring. But as my sister said, we would like to know how big the group was and where did that happen. It will help us."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

"I saw...five, no, six? of the creatures, and they had two big dogs with them. I...don't know if that was all of them that was all I saw. I was around the west side of the keep, and they jumped out from the trees and bushes and once they had everything they went back the same way. I know there's a trail in that area but not much more." Joia takes a moment to rub away some of the tear streaks from her face. "It might seem dumb caring so much about a ring I could pick up from any trader, but it's all that's left of Dad."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

What do you say, Aintas? We can take a half a dozen bandits. She greets Vyv. This is Vyvian, our scout so to speak. Hey sis! Joia told us there is an encampment on the west side of the keep. I trust in her guidance, but I would like a clearer picture. Can you assist? Or should we send in the tiny scout. She wooshes with her arm, revealing Glyph, who takes it to be her greatest task today to calm Joia down. The calico cat jumps onto the old woman's lap, demanding pets, even presenting her fluffy belly.

It is not silly to want this memento back. And I think you are not done taking this lying down. You are wise to not fight them head-on however. You see, we lost one of our family to brigands as well. We - or at least I - cannot let this stand. And when we are done, we need to have a chat with Bentley about security around here.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"We've got so many little pets now. Might be best to leave scouting specific locations to them. If they can't find what we're looking for, I'll give it a go." Vyvian says, clearly accepting without issue that her role as "put herself in danger by being alone to better protect the group as a whole" has been supplanted by cats and tiny dragons and whatnot.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Joia is thankful for the help, though it's not hard to see that she doubts you'll succeed. Still she bids you farewell.

With the infernal ritual that is shopping (and an actual infernal ritual) completed your group gathers at the front gate and heads out. As you exit the gate one of the guards calls out "Hey, glaiveguy!" He beckons at Aintas. "Heard you're heading out into the woods - got a tip for you. My brother's a smith down in Beregost, he's an expert in making gear out of animals and monsters, gets a lot of druid customers since we're so near the Cloakwood. If you come across any ankhegs in the forest, grab their shells - as many as you can carry! He'll give you a good deal on making you some nice new armour." The guard rubs his fingers together, the universal sign for money, with a grin.

Circling the keep's exterior, you find the spot Joia was attacked almost immediately. Despite, or perhaps because of, the rain the bootprints of the enormous hobgoblins are deep and clear, with an obvious trail leading west through some bushes. They don't seem to be making any sort of effort in concealing themselves. Following the footprints through the bushes you do come across an animal trail.

It's not clear how far away the hobs are, but after roughly 45 minutes into the trail, you've still not found their camp - the bootprints at least are still obvious. You do, however, spot a flock of giant vultures - enormous, easily as tall as any of you and with a wing span twice that. There are four of them feeding on what look to be two wild horses (going off the lack of shoes and saddles) right in the middle of the path. To either side are small hillocks that are climbable, but may leave you vulnerable if you get attacked mid-climb. They squawk loudly, and you get the distinct feeling of hostility if you approach, not wanting to concede their meals.

Rather than climbing the hills you could circle them, though it would take time to get back to the trail on the other side.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

We are in no particular hurry. And you all know I kinda suck at climbing. Can we go around? Senna asks. She has an idea. Or can you do something about the scavengers, Caelee? She tries to hide her particular disgust with the bird at hand, but she is doing pretty poorly. Maybe it's the smell of wet fur, mixed with rotting carcass, that does it.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

What? Me? Caelee makes a disgusted face. When she'd imagined journeying the world and making friends with it's animals, she hadn't imagined she would start with carrion birds. Still, they were a part of the natural cycle. Caelee swallowed and approached the birds, taking a scrap of jerky from her bag and holding it out as her druid texts had described. Once she was within thirty feet of the birds she spoke a few hushed words in druidic.

Spoiler: Duidic
    Show
    Be my friends, creatures. We've not come to harm you and could use your aid.

The power of the spell grew in her mind and leaped out at both the birds, attempting to influence the minds of two of them. That being done, she intones another spell and takes on the language of beasts. As politely as possible, she begins speaking with the creatures, specifically the two she targeted with her spell.

Spoiler: In Vulture
    Show
    Hello, friends! I hate to interrupt your meal, but we have some questions to ask. May we talk for a moment?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Animal friendship as a second level spell to try to snare two of the vultures. I figure one may roll lucky on its save, but two shouldn't. DC 13 Wisdom saving throw. I'll roll two saves here without modifiers. (1d20)[9] and (1d20)[3].
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-24 at 11:11 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #314

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (16) HP: 20/20

As her siblings assemble near the gate, Melian closes her book with a sad sigh and carefully stows it in her pack. She stands, straightens out her clothing, and joins the group.

While tracking the hobgoblins the wizard sends out her familiar to keep an eye on the road ahead, complementing Vyvian's scouting by covering a wider area. She also takes a moment to protect herself with magic, suddenly very conscious she's the only one completely unarmored.

Spotting the giant buzzards, Melian nocks an arrow on her newfound bow and holds it at the ready. "Senna has the right of it. It'd be great if you can convince these creatures we only want to move past, Caelyn."

Show
    Familiar scouting:
    • Perception: (1d20+3)[8] | (1d20+3)[7] (ADV on sight, sound, smell)

Ready Action: if Caelyn's avian diplomacy fails, shoot first buzzard who attacks in the face.
    • Attack: (1d20+5)[11]
    • Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

Mage Armor when setting out. 8h duration, AC 13+Dex.

edit: so many dice and highest roll was a 6

Last edited by cigaw; 2020-04-24 at 12:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas calls out a thank you and a comradely waive of the aforementioned glaive to the guards. he must remember to buy them a glass when he returns, this was nice of them.

Aintas was ready to muster all his capabilities as a tracker, but apparently it was not necessary. The tracks were clear.

"I would like to go through the hill, if possible. It doesn't seem very hard to climb. But, do you thing Caelun"

He stands aside, in awe, as his sister once again shows what seems great power to him.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10
    Conditions:

The sigils around the brazier glow, sharing the same sickly green as the flames. Fire begins to gather at Grepha's feet and crawl up bit by bit. She taps her claws against the floor with a clacking sound, relishing that they are now physical.

Sam carries out the process to completion. As the final flickers of flame fade on Grepha's horns, the brazier goes out in a final puff of yellow smoke. The imp quickly changes shape, shifting into the form of a large black bird with oily feathers. "Excellent, excellent." The imp croaks, now audible out loud. Sam takes a bit of cloth and rubs off the charcoal markings on the floor.

"So it looks like I won our wager," he points out, plucking the brazier off of the floor and cleaning out the spent ashes of the ritual components.

"So you did," Grepha admits, leaping back up to Sam's shoulder. He feels the weight this time, and thankfully is wearing a leather pauldron to spare his clothes to digging talons. "Imoen." Processing the single word, Sam pauses as he's about to go back down and return to brazier.

"Imoen? Are you joking?"

"We had a bargain. A devil honors its deals, Samuel."

The shocking news lingering in the back of his mind, Sam returns the brazier to the innkeeper and makes his way outside to find his siblings gathering at the drawbridge. He jogs over to rejoin them. There is a new bird on his shoulder, looking no different from the rest of the menagerie of small animals they have. The raven eyes the group with its beady gaze.

In the wilderness beyond the former bandit keep, Sam keeps close behind Aintas, bumping into his back distractedly when the vultures block their path. "Oh, sorry." He takes a step back to give Aintas space to swing his polearm if he must. The sight of the bloody horses causes him to look away.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

The spell seems ineffective, and Caelyn can feel that it didn't work. There's a jolt of feedback, the threads of magic that should have flowed out instead bounce back up her arm. It stings a little, but passes just as quickly as the feeling vanishes. Still, the vultures aren't squawking quite as aggressively - perhaps because of the jerky. One, the de-facto leader perhaps, approaches Caelyn hopping along the ground in great loping bounds. It towers over her, and for a moment it looks like it may attack. It turns its head left and right, regarding her - and the rest of the group - with beady eyes as large as your fist. Its claws dig into the ground, talons raking long cuts in the mud. After a tense moment though it caws loudly, turns and hops back, squawking to its companions. With minor effort, they drag the horse carcasses off the path to one side, leaving you a gap to pass through without approaching too closely. Both bodies leave a long trail of blood behind them, and the stench indicates the organs have already begun to rot. Those of weaker constitutions may find their stomachs turned by the stench as much as the sight.

Two begin to dig into the food once more, while the others watch you closely for any sign of hostility.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

That is... odd. The spell to make friends with them was ineffective, which can happen, but is improbable. But my second spell should allow me to speak their language. It's not a spell that can be resisted. We should be able to pass, but we should be very wary of these creatures. They might not even be true animals... Still, after her standoff with the vultures, Caelyn feels a little relieved that they did not attack. Not only could these large birds seriously hurt someone, but it would have been very embarrassing for her magic to fail so spectacularly. We should go. Now. Caelee starts to lead the way around the vultures, keeping her face to the creatures and her arms out wide to make her profile seem larger, allowing her family to pass behind her.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #319

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    Conditions:

Not wanting to tangle with the birds and get tired out before their fight with the hobgoblins, Sam moves along with Aintas, keeping on guard. The raven on his shoulder watches the larger birds. Perhaps to the surprise of some, the black-winged familiar speaks, "They seem reasonable. We should offer them some hobgoblin corpses in exchange for their help. Bigger flock, bigger hunt. Between some big brutes and those horses they will be feasting for days."

Sam is as surprised as anyone when the raven starts talking, but for different reasons. "What are you doing?" he whispers.

"Oh sorry. Was I supposed to be a silent observer?" the raven ruffles its wings and turns away, now looking disinterested.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-04-24 at 09:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna throws up in a bush somewhere as the wind shifts. So much for a healthy breakfast. She moves on, but looks away as the corvid starts to speak. Her head turns at the unfamiliar voice, seeing Sam trying to silence his little ally. She tries to hide her shock, badly. The cleric approaches both slowly and with grace. It is custom to introduce our little friends with names. She summons Glyph in a cloud of runed symbols. This is Glyph, though she does not talk. You seem very special, you little devil. Who might you be? she asks in a badly disguised playful voice one would talk down to children. As she asks, her eyes try to meet with Sam's.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas, his eyes glued on the vultures, literally jumps around when a new voice is heard behind him. It takes several seconds to identify the source. His eyes become noticeably larger.

"Sam.. your raven just spoke. Did it?"

He looks around, his eyes a bit wild.

"Do your other pets... I mean friends... I mean.... animal companions... speak? Please tell me because I cannot handle the shock a second time"

22. - Top - End - #322

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    Conditions:

"Uh, introductions can wait until we're away from the vultures, yeah?" Sam motions, urging the others to continue. Whether they were looking to enlist the carrion birds' help or not, lingering around talking would likely irritate them.

After clearing out of the immediate space of the abnormally sized avians, Sam holds up his hands towards his shoulder where the raven is perched, eyeing Senna. "This is Grepha."

"So nice to meet you," the bird says in a polite, but uninterested tone. She preens and picks at a few feathers, then adds cheerfully, "Especially you Aintas. I do wish your brother was more like you."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Unlike Aintas, aside from the surprise of hearing an additional voice out of nowhere, Vyvian wasn't particularly shocked. Her siblings had been conjuring new magical pets out of nowhere the last few days so it was no surprise Sam had one of his own.

After a few minutes of walking away from vultures, she asks aloud to nobody in particular, "So where's mine?"

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

With no hostile moves, the vultures let you pass without any objection. Once you're quite a distance away, the leader caws loudly and you hear what sounds like laughter - if vultures could laugh - in between the gnashing and tearing of beak plunging into dead flesh and bone.
    Spoiler: Caelyn
    Show
    "Careful not to die, or we'll 'see' you again." You realise, quite simply, that they're mocking you. Perhaps they were keeping quiet before because they were looking down on you?

Following the trail of bootprints for maybe another 40 or 50 minutes, you hear them before you see them - loud, barking grunts in a language none of you understand, along with the banging and crashing of wooden crates and barrels being moved by creatures who clearly do not care for it. Glancing round the side of a tree you can see their campsite is elevated at an intersection of trails. It's not a large hill - barely one worth talking about, but there are one or two small ridges rather than slopes on the approach - ridges that might work to give you cover, but also will make it harder to approach. From your angle you can only see three hobs, though from the sounds there's probably more out of your line of sight. They're not paying particular attention to what's outside of the camp, instead conversing (or so you can assume) merrily. There's a treeline just to the north which might offer a better approach, but if it's watched by another guard you can't see them. The south looks fairly open, so you might not have to worry about terrain getting in the way, but the hobs will most likely see you in a heartbeat.

One of the hobs you can see is has a large greataxe slung across his back along with a number of what seem to be javelins, while two nearby are holding bows with swords at their waist.

Spoiler: Approach
    Show

If you are gonna try a stealth approach, gimme a stealth roll please.

To give you a rough idea of what you're looking at, here's a nice map complete with some rudimentary fog of war.
    Spoiler: Map
    Show
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

With Vyvian's question, Senna's eyes start glowing. You want to do a bit of arcane magic as well? Of course father's guidance would have made you curious. In fact I am surprised you're not one of those tricksters that use rudimentary enchantments and illusions to enhance their swordplay. Regardless, a familiar summoning ritual is easy as pie. But the hard part is being to actually learn that a familiar is part of your soul, and thus connected to your own being. You need to learn about your soul, how to extend this into a small miniscule vessel during a short magical ritual. You will need to focus your essence, then sever it from your substance. Don't worry, it does not hurt. Well, it did hurt before. You lost your vigor. But nowadays formulae are quite safe. You see, during Gorion's youth, people used simplified Netheril spells, with great risk for their physical essence, as the familiar's body was an extension of their own BODY as well. The great Mordenkainen simplified the formula, cutting off the benefits to your health, but also vastly reducing the risk to your life force. What kind of familiar would you like? You seem like a cat type. But I have a cat already. We can have two cats, but it is ... Senna drones on for the better part of half an hour.

Up until they find the hobgoblin encampment. Let's send in your new friend to survey the area first. Then Glyph can check more important tents from within. I think a faerie dragon is too obvious, Melian. With that, she sends in her calico cat, gripping Vyv's hand. I'll switch to Glyph's vision momentarily. Please hold my hand and warn me if we get attacked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth(1d20+4)[23]
    Perception (1d20+5)[11]

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

As Senna rambled on and on, Vyvian's eyes notably glazed over. At least notable to anyone not trying to give a full lecture in the middle of the wilderness.

27. - Top - End - #327

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (16) HP: 20/20

Un-nocking her arrow, Melian breathes a sigh of relief as the gigantic vultures move aside. "Good job, Caelyn," Melian says eyeing the buzzards warily.

After a safe distance, when Sam's raven pipes up, Melian comes to a complete stop and looks at it with curiosity. She opens her mouth once or twice to speak but stops herself when Senna alludes to a devil. Sam will bring others into his business at his own pace, no need to force it. Instead, she turns to Aintas. "Most familiars don't speak out loud, but it isn't an entirely uncommon occurrence."

When the glyphscribe begins reciting the history of familiar binding spells, Melian winks at Vyvian, a sly smile showing a clear indication that Senna missed Vyvian's joking sarcasm. As they walk, Melian weaves a minor illusion of a tiny black panther with shimmering black and green highlights. It follows Vyvian, weaving in between her footsteps and clawing at her scabbard. She dismissed the magic as they near the clearing ahead.

Melian sends her own familiar to scout along the northern outskirts of the camp. "Well, given that Fëanáro is a Pseudodragon, a species which makes its home in wooded and forested areas, it is as conspicuous as a house cat. Less so, given that he'll be scouting the outskirts and keeping to the trees. Also, they might try to eat your cat." she says in reply to Senna.

Show
    Familiar scouting:
    • Perception: (1d20+3)[15] | (1d20+3)[7] (ADV on sight, sound, smell)
    • Stealth: (1d20+4)[22]

Melian's Stealth: if needed.
    • Stealth: (1d20+5)[12]

Last edited by cigaw; 2020-04-25 at 07:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    Conditions:

Sam ruffles Vyvian's hair, "Look at you, you've set her off now." He carries on with a chuckle at his sister's eagerness towards the arcane.

He slows down at the outskirts of the hobgoblin camp, lingering towards the back of the group. The familiars are being sent off to scout, and Senna's right, there's no reason his can't as well. "Well Grepha, do you think you can get us a bird's eye view without looking suspicious?"

The raven laughs quietly, under her breath. "I can do better than look inconspicuous Samuel." Spreading her wings, she takes off, and the light ripples around her as she fades from sight.

Leaving the lesser creatures to search the layout of the camp, Grepha closes in on the tents of the foul-smelling goblinoids. She flutters down and hops from one to the other, peeking inside. The imp is careless, overconfident in her invisibility, and forgets that goblins have large ears.

Show
    Grepha uses imp invisibility and goes to check the tents.

Stealth: (1d20+5)[8] to avoid making noise
    Perception: (1d20+1)[10] to check inside their tents

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-04-25 at 07:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn is stunned for a moment when Sam's bird speaks, but much like Melian she decides to wait to have that conversation at another time. Her experience is in non-magical animals, so she has little to add to the conversation of a familiar, let alone a talking one. She was aware that some ravens have been trained solitary words or phrases, but nothing as eloquent as Sam's bird. Once the group is past the vultures, she turns back to the creatures and gives a final remark.

Spoiler: In Vulture
    Show
    We should supply food for you and your kin very shortly. And all of it will be hobgoblins, if you have a taste for them.

Later that day...

Caelyn draws her bow and takes cover behind a tree, waiting for the scouting familiars to return. She remains silent, unwilling to make a decision on tactics until the recon team returns.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas waves politely and somewhat half-heartedly at the raven when he addresses him. Suddenly, things went quite a bit weird.

When the hobgoblin camp was founded, he breathes a little more easily. This is something he understood.

"So, are we going to have scouting done? Just the numbers and equipment would be good to know."

He waits to hear what the various scouting familiars and companions will bring back.