Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 15/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: Spiritual Weapon: Swirling Glyph/Lantern Archon
    Concentration: -

Vyv be careful. This is a small firey ball explodes on the forest grounds, taking the demihumans with them. dangerous. She goes to fake a weak blow on the groveling hobgoblin that got angered by the big flaming elemental. Instead, she incants a short prayer. May Deneir DAMN you monster. she says, pointing at Aintas' enemy, making ominous bells toll once more.

The lantern archon is blown out of orbit by the pressure wave emitted by the summoned fire spirit and misses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wis save vs Toll the Dead (1d20)[11] or take (1d12)[4] necrotic damage.

Last edited by Spore; 2020-05-03 at 05:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 19/24
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

Vyvian makes this affronted noise when the hobgoblin disarms her and then gives his corpse a smirk in response to his earlier attempt to taunt her.
    At Senna words she looks over at her and raises an eyebrow replying, "You know you're looking a lot worse than I am right?"

That having been says, she moves up to the remaining standing hobgoblin that got singed by Caelyn's flames and makes with the stabby.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving west one space and north three. If this hobgoblin dies she moves the remaining 2 squares to the east.

Attack: (1d20+5)[9]
    damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    if crit: (1d6)[5]

Off-hand: (1d20+5)[14]
    damage: (1d6)[5]
    if crit: (1d6)[4]

Sneak Attack: (2d6)[6]
    if crit: (2d6)[9]

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Between the explosion of flames, the tolling of a mournful bell and the sharp steel, the three injured hobgoblins fall leaving one left alive - 'guarded' by Aintas. Whether it's because he's the last one alive, or because of the sudden loss of three of his companions all at once, he breaks away, kicking dirt up at Aintas as a distraction to avoid any attempt to stop him going. He's still got his sword, though he left the bow behind.

Spoiler
    Show

Blue hob disengages and runs. If you leave him, I'll end combat here, but you can pursue or try to pewpew him at range. He did manage to reach half-cover from the trees.

Because red team is dead, everyone gets a go before next enemy action - though priority to Sam/Aintas/Melian.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblin's attempt to flee is cut short before it can really begin, Aintas' glaive cutting a wide swath and fully removing the warrior's legs in a single stroke. He bleeds out and is dead in moments, leaving nothing but a quickly draining corpse. Whatever last words he may have had, he's not able to voice them.

There's a still moment in the air after he goes down, a breath of anticipation that the air holds - is there another enemy? Some unseen foe? You find yourself not breathing for a moment, but a gust of wind blowing through the path breaks the stillness and you're assured that, yes, you've won. Injured, bruised and tired, yes, but you have won.

With that comes the still somewhat grueling task of excavating the camp and recovering what you can from the bodies. There's a number of wheeled wagons around the camp if you wish to carry everything back. It's not a small haul.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show

The armour is a bit oversized, and in some cases a little bit burned, for immediate use by any of you, but it should be pretty easy for a blacksmith/tailor to resize them appropriately back at the Friendly Arm.

4 Splint Mails (Hob size)
    3 Studded Leathers (Hob Size)
    6 Smoke Sticks*
    4 Longswords
    4 Longbows
    87 Arrows
    7 (intact) Javelins
    3 Greataxes
    177 gp
    6 Barrels of Booze (probably ale or beer)
    3 Crates of clothes of various sizes and quality, and food (mostly non-perishables)
    A Flamedance Ring, among a few other pieces of assorted jewellery.
    Cookie Joke Bag**
    The rest of the crates and barrels were presumably full at one point, but have since been emptied by the hobs.

Spoiler: Smokestick
    Show

As an action, you can crack a smoke stick that produces a thick plume of smoke. You can hold on to the stick or throw it to a point up to 30 feet away as part of the action used to produce it. The area in a 10-foot radius around the stick is filled with thick smoke that blocks vision, including darkvision. The stick works for 1 minute, then peters out, its magic expended. The smoke can be blown away with a Gust of Wind spell while the stick is active, otherwise it dissipates within one round of the stick being moved or expended.

Spoiler: Cookie Joke Bag
    Show

Requires Attunement. Bard Only.

This ordinary bag, made from brown cloth, is bulging with hard fortune cookies - roughly 30.

Once per long rest, an attuned bard can pull a cookie from the bag and crack it open revealing a bad joke inside. When read aloud, this casts at random one of the following spells on a target of the Bard's choosing:
    Hex, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Compelled Duel, Bless, Bane, Heroism. (roll d6 to determine spell)
    The Bard can choose the target(s) once he knows the spell is positive or negative. These spells do not require concentration and the effects last for 1 minute.

If anyone other than the attuned bard pulls out a cookie, or if a second is removed before a long rest, it still reveals the bad joke, but any magic fails.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 24/24

After dancing through the healing spell a few times, Vyvian begins (not alone I assume) sorting through their rewards for hobgoblin murder. As she does this she says, "Hey Senna. You might want to.... pull a bit back on the enthusiasm for killing things." As blunt as her words are, it seems like she was a little disturbed by Senna's outbursts.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-05-04 at 12:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Concentrating on: Healing Spirit

Caelee sighs audibly when the battle is won, the flames pouring out of her hands and eyes sputtering out at she falls to one knee for a moment. Then she is up, dismissing Bokono and commanding her healing spirit to take a position in the center of the party. If anyone walks through the rabbit, it will heal them. Keep walking back and forth through it and it should mend even the most serious of wounds. She makes a few passes through the spirit herself, the searing heat tingling as more splinters are pushed out of her flesh by the hot, painful magic. Then she releases Tal Kess from his bag and lets him get some exercise as they all begin going through the hobgoblin's possessions. She is ecstatic to find better armor, but she is so excited she squeals when she finds a longbow among the loot. As they are rifling through the spoils, she hears Vyvian's words and nods along with them. Between Senna's enthusiasm for combat and Aintas mercilessly cutting down the fleeing hobgoblin, adventuring was teaching her more about her family than she was quite comfortable with. It was one thing if blood and fire was in their futures, but another entirely if peace and mercy had no place among them. Shaking her head, she began piling weapons and accessories into the wagon they had found, leaving the stripping of armor to her brothers and sisters who were less bothered by looting charred and bleeding bodies.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10
    Conditions:

The burst of flame erupts in a corona from the summoned elemental, and washes over a small figure standing invisibly near the ball of floating runes. After the flames clear away, there is a flap of wings from where it had been.

When the hobgoblin he'd 'convinced' to surrender goes up in flames, falling to the ground in a charred heap, Sam stares agape. "Caelyn!" he exclaims in exasperation, waving both hands at the dead hob. "I stopped him! He wasn't a threat!"

The half-dragon feels a weight land on his shoulder, and Grepha dumps a pile of rune-covered twigs at his feet. The air ripples and reveals a perched raven, now returned to her familiar - no pun intended - form. "Disappointing I had no chance to whet my... beak upon this rabble. I found these Smokesticks. Trifling trinkets, but they have their uses."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee jolts at Sam's words. Was she as bloodthirsty and unforgiving as she thought her family was being? I'm sorry, Sam. I didn't anticipate your mind magic. Next time you snare someone shout it out. I was just trying to end the fight as quickly as possible! I didn't mean to kill your prisoner too! She shivered a little as she looked at the charred bodies she had produced, then looked back at her brother with tears in the corner of her eyes. I'm... I'm not like that. I don't kill so wantonly. I'm not like that... The evidence to the contrary, however, was stark.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-04 at 03:23 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #369

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    Conditions:

Holding his head in his hands, Sam covers his eyes and holds in a breath. He's really not cut out for fighting, and his siblings taking to it like fish to water just leaves him with more worries. But he has to put on a brave face now. Caelyn is on the verge of tears.

With a heavy release of air, Sam lowers his hands and pulls Caelyn into a hug. "It's okay. It was the middle of the fight, everything was intense. I'm sorry for yelling."

Uncomfortable with the close contact and sappiness, Grepha flaps her wings and lands on Aintas' shoulder instead, latched onto the pauldron of his armor. "It is seldom helpful to leave your enemies alive, you know. Either they will return to what they were doing before and your efforts will be in vain, or worse they will return for vengeance." Beady black eyes lock on the legless hobgoblin lying sprawled over a bush. "This is the right of it. Like rats, an infestation must be put to an end or it will resurface."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee allows herself to be pulled into a hug by her younger brother, and after a few seconds her arms slide up to embrace him back. What is done cannot be undone, but the warmth and comfort of family stops her sobs in her throat for the time being. Only a few tears make their way down her cheeks as she buries her head into Sam's shoulder for a few seconds before stepping away from him. When she spoke it was shaky, but more collected.Hey... I'm the older sister. I'm supposed to comfort you, you big scaly jerk... don't forget that... She's smiling weakly as she extends her arm and gives a weak punch to the dragon's shoulder.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 15/21
    Conditions: -

As if to be contrary, Senna lets her summoned lantern archon fly a few rounds around Vyvian before letting it vanish. I know, I know Vyv. But it is just so exhilerating. She smiles a thick smile, smearing a small blood splatter from her innocent and radiant face. It is like in the stories. But this is.. she looks around. a bit more gruesome than I expected.

She looks at Sam, her joyous face suddenly dropping when she sees his "raven". Samuel. Perhaps you can explain your little fiendish companion to us, to me? She puts her fists into her sides, thinking she looks rather imposing that way, but she really does not. Familiars do not speak. You cannot give a tiny figment of your own essence this much intellect. Your raven is something more, a bound entity. I believe we are very much fine with binding a few outside forces into our service. Just look at Caelee's elemental. But please, inform us about their allegiance. We know the dangers of a fire elemental. But you have a talking raven, an intelligent one. And I believe you have an explanation for the others. I think I already know what this thing is.

Senna is not mad, just disappointed.

12. - Top - End - #372

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    Conditions:

Sam lets Caelyn out from the hug and pats her on the shoulder. "Just remember..." he looks away at the scene of the fight. "For all our training cloistered away in the keep, these have been our first real fights. In the teachings of Bahamut's paladins, it is reminded that rookies most often make the mistake of overwhelming force." Turning to face the rest of his siblings, Sam reminds them, "We must not lose ourselves, or lose sight of what Gorion taught us of what is right."

Then the subject is smoothly shifted away by Senna. Sam looks over at Grepha, perched on Aintas' shoulder. "They don't, huh?" He reaches up and rubs the back of his neck. "I guess I had to introduce you all eventually. Just wasn't sure how to er, broach the topic."

"I am more than capable of speaking for myself," the raven's body shifts and morphs, transforming into a small, scrawny humanoid like a little red gargoyle. It has leathery bat wings and a darker insectile tail tipped with a scorpion's stinger, draped behind Aintas' back and swaying like a cat's tail. She's dressed in only basic brown cloth scraps. "So nice to be seen, Wards of Gorion. I am Grepha. Samuel's own personal devil on his shoulder. Although I am on loan at the moment." The creature grins at Aintas.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas does not really understand when the fight ends. After he cuts the hobgoblin down, he spends some seconds scanning the battlefield, waiting for the next one.

Then, as his blood drips down, he realizes it is over. Suddenly, all his wounds hurt very much and he straightens with a grunt. He then realizes he cut down the hobgoblin, when he could have taken it a prisoner. In a truly exasperated tone, he asks:

"Now why did I do that? It could have surrendered!"

Am I turning into a bloodthirsty killer?

Aintas is unusually subdued as he cleans his weapon and armor of all the blood and gore, and in the subsequent looting. He takes extra care to pile up the corpses with some semblance of dignity, but it is obvious his mind is preoccupied.

But other events, jostle him out of his soul-searching as Sam suddenly has, not a raven, but a small demon on his back. Literally. Aintas stands open mouthed as another revelation sends him off-balance.

Not sure how to approach this - Sam, with a demon?- he inches towards Melian and asks, once again

"Is that usual?"

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"Uh...." Vyvian replies to Senna, clearly not at all less disturbed by Senna's excuse for her sudden bloodthirst.

After a moment she says, "I actually agree with the....devil thing? These were bandit goblins. They weren't going to turn their life around with a stern talking to. They'd just be executed for their crimes if brought anywhere with a jail to keep them in. At best, if one escaped us or we let them go they'd learn this particular spot is too dangerous.... and then just go victimize people somewhere else. And that assumes that one escaping isn't a more serious threat to us. Goblins sound like the exact kind of underlings the people who are after us would be fine hiring or at least rewarding for information about us."

As an afterthought she adds, looking at Senna, "Though that doesn't mean we have to scream for their blood to pay homage to the blood god and then bathe in it or whatever."

15. - Top - End - #375

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

Holding his arms by the elbows, Sam, looks at the dead hobgoblins and then back to Vyvian. "Just because they're goblins? They're still people, with free will, right? I get that people aren't going to change overnight. But if you can help one person wouldn't that be worth it?" His naivety earns a tired groan from his devilish familiar.

"I swear, I've been saddled with the most soft-hearted lizard in the planes," Grepha laments quietly to Aintas. "It will be no easy task to keep him from getting us both killed."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21

Do we really have time for a hobgoblin re-education camp? They would rob and kill more people, Sam. Senna sighs. Weirdly enough, I agree with your devil. But I will check you for some enchantments back at the keep, Sam. Even if you're a bit short sighted, I can't see you willingly sign your soul to the Nine Hells. Hey, little one. Did he sign some contract?

She turns to her older brother. Usually the source of strength and resolve, he doubts himself slashing down a bandit. What if he fled the prison and took revenge on old Granny Joia? It is better this way. But it is good that you have doubts. It will temper your decisions in the future. Right as she says that, Vyvian's remarks bite her to the bone. What? You...I...we... She sighs defeated. Yes, maybe I could have worded it better.

She clears her throat and begins a poem, with a slightly sarcastic undertone.
    Ye allies of Candlekeep.
    Smite, smite down these vile creatures.
    Let Tyr's justice, let Lathander's light shine down upon these wretches.
    Let the First Scribe take note of your glorious victory today.

She smirks. Better?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian over-dramatically rolls her eyes, tilts her head back, and lets out an "UGH!" As she goes back to collecting their loot, but there's a bit of a smile on her face.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (19) HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

Once the last hobgoblin is felled, Melian maintains her cover for a while, scanning the trees and tents. It is only after the lingering silence is broken by the wood's usual sounds that she allows herself to relax.

As the others talk, Melian walks the perimeter of the camp, listening in on the discussion. She stops as Aintas approaches asking about the imp. "Usual? It's not entirely unusual, but also not completely normal. There are many texts and traditions on binding demons and devils and their ilk for any number of reasons but I don't think Sam has sold his soul or anything like that. I'm not overly fond of this tie to the lower planes but for now it seems he is in control - and has been for a while. We're here for him and he's stronger than we give him credit for," she says with a tired smile. "I've been meaning to say," Melian begins, turning to face her brother with a sad expression, "Your skill with that glaive of yours is admirable! Thank you for being our shield, Aintas. I'm sorry you have to bear the brunt of our injuries."

As the discussion continues on the nature of hobgoblins, something strikes a chord with Melian and she can't help but speak up; disappointment evident in her voice. "We can't just kill people or creatures for what they might or might not do! Who in the hells knows what these hobgoblins would have turned out like with better guidance in their lives? What about us, if we hadn't Gorion in ours? We ourselves might have resorted to banditry or worse!" She pauses a moment. "I am committed to becoming better at fighting, at surviving, and while I may feel the thrill of combat but I refuse to enjoy killing and murder and wanton destruction!"

19. - Top - End - #379

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Oh, his soul is not mine. Quite the opposite in fact," Grepha comments as Melian and Aintas discuss her. "And when he dies I'm not sure what happens to me. Either back to Hell or get dragged along wherever he goes, I suppose. The former is no more pleasant for the small devils than for the mortal souls. And if his saintly demeanor is anything to go by, I'd be blasted from existence the moment I arrived in the latter. So..." the imp inspects her claws idly, "It is in my best interests to keep your idiot brother alive."

Leaving the gear on the hobgoblins, not wanting to touch the dead bodies, Sam leaves that to those with stronger stomachs. He gathers up what he can from the tents and the things they looted from their victims. Looking over the coins and trinkets stolen from innocents, he thinks over what Vyv and Senna are saying. To an ice cold eye, it makes sense. Get rid of evil, and there's less evil in the world. But...

As he pulls a sack out of the pile of discarded trinkets, Sam opens it up and finds a bunch of hard-baked cookies inside. Plucking one out, he takes a bite and feels a bit of something inside. Pulling it out he finds a small scrap of paper. "Step fourth, heathen. And I will go first." he quietly reads the paper only for it to fizzle away into sparkling dust with a sound like a party horn. Sam looks around, but nothing seems to have changed. With a confused shrug, Sam puts the bag of cookies in with his things and returns to the others.

His thoughts from before resurface. "I know what you're saying. Get rid of evil, and there's less evil in the world. But... make good in the world, and there's more good. Isn't that better?"

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

A deep mental breath later, Aintas collects himself. He visibly collects himself and addresses the demon thing.

"Yes you did get saddled with a soft-hearted person. Sam is that and more. So, I am watching you, creature. First sign that Sam is in trouble because of you, I will have your head hung in the first mantelpiece I come across. I am not very quick on the magic and the planes stuff, so be sure that you behave really well. You are not getting the benefit of a doubt. You have been warned."

Looking at his siblings, he starts also toiling about, as he speaks.

"These were hobgoblins. They are militant and destructive by nature. If they wanted to surrender, we would have accepted. As Sam says, they had free will. They chose to fight to the end and then flee. These were bad choices, as was robing travelers and taking the ring of a poor woman. I consider myself to be a ...consequence."

With a final shrug, Aintas goes back to looting. As he does, he is thinking,

Get over it, you big stoneheaded idiot. Your brother and your sisters are not the small children you had to fish out of rivers and call down to eat. They are now accomplished magicians and fighters. Dangerous people. As are you. You cannot stand with your mouth open every time something you don't know happens.

So keep you mouth closes, you eyes open, and try to keep them alive.

After he is done, Aintas makes a point of going around talking to the others.

To Melian
    "Hey Melian. I saw you in the fight. This was impressive fighting. You are getting very proficient in this elvish fighting. You are naturally agile and fast. It looks impressive."

To Sam
    "Well brother, you won an impressive wager, I see. And your magic is impressive too. These bolts look lethal. But I just wanted to say, good talk before. It made me think about what an enemy is, even in battle. Because I have a glaive, not everything must be skewered. I will think on this."

To Senna, with a smile to show he is joking
    "And how is my little bloothirsty sister? Found any pitchers to keep all the blood? I just see it now, the legend of Red Senna, the terror of infidels. The Scribe who wrote on flayed skin.
    I joke, I joke. A battle is not a kind thing. Better to act decisively than not at all. And after all, you are the only one of us that really has Someone watching over you. I just wanted to say, I am proud of your level head. And your healing powers, for sure. That hobgoblin was good with his steel."

To Caelyn
    "How are you, little sister? These was some impressive magic over there. Your powers are growing, and your skill in wielding them too. Just wanted to say, good job. Hey, perhaps going back, you can talk to the birds again. Tell them there are bodies here. The circle of life and all that, do I have that straight?"

To Vyv
    "That was a tough fight, was it not? A hobgoblin warband is nothing to joke about, and yet we took them down. The 'little ones' are growing up fast, Vyv. I think our position as respected elders is shaking pretty much right now. You always had better eyes and you sure are quicker. So keep an eye on our backs, because I think we are now dangerous people, and danger comes to people like us. I would feel better knowing that you are going to be in the shadows, waiting."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Someone watching over me... Senna thinks as her eyes get watery. To hide that, she hugs Aintas. I think we all have someone watching over us, I hope at least. A stubborn old mage, that is. She does not outright cry but shed a few tears until she got her composure back.

And while I am happy to share all of Deneir's gifts with you, I must say that the forces of nature did mend our wounds much better. In fact I did not use a healing spell, Caelyn did. She scratches her arms. Must the healing be so irritating though?

She turns back to Sam, with a wide smile and her wet eyes. So it is YOU, Sam, who bound an imp's soul to YOUR will, rather than the other way around? She takes out a paper, as she is inspired to write then and there. Is it okay, when future generations call this a Samuelian Pact? It has all the workings of a great story. It would be a cautionary tale, it has the basis to find good in evil, and evil in good. Poor Grepha. You will be known as the purified fiend for ages to come. Senna smiles a nefarious smile.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

The discussions carry you through the piling of loot and goods onto a wagon to drag back to the Inn (mostly by Aintas, since everyone else has the muscles of a feeble child) and on the journey itself. As the wagon rolls along perhaps the question of the giant vultures crosses your mind, perhaps not, but it's impossible not to notice them as you approach. The wild horse corpses are once again in the centre of your path, but they're now surrounded by the four bodies of the vultures from earlier. Dead. Feathers are everywhere, covering the bodies of the horses and there was clearly a fight of some sort given all the extra blood and one wing being clearly separate from the rest of its owner. From a distance you can't tell what caused the wounds though, you'd have to approach. Climbing over the hill seems impossible with your haul unless you want to spend all day using ropes to drag it over one crate at a time, but you could try to take the wagon off-trail, though it would mean heading into some denser forest. Or you could try to clear the path and make some room to get through.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn nods at Melian's sentiment about wanton violence and blood shed, agreeing quietly. When Aintas gives her praise she smiles weakly. Thanks, brother. And yes, that is how the circle of life works. If it weren't for those scavenger birds I would burn the bodies and return them to the cycle myself. But fire is not always the best answer. I'm sure they will appreciate the meal... Then they stumble across the remains of the vultures and their horse meal, and Caelee's features go white. Who has done this? These creatures may have been disgusting, but they still deserved life... She began to approach the mess of bodies slowly, her untrained eye searching for clues from a distance. Is it possible more assassins are following our back trail already?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Investigation roll (1d20)[2]
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #384

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam chuckles and bumps Aintas with his shoulder playfully. "The wager might have been impressive, but it's Grepha you can thank for the magic."

"Are you sure about that Samuel?" the imp asks, back on his shoulder and jostled around by his antics. Sam looks up at her and quirks an eyeridge.

"I did get them after I won our wager didn't I?"

Grepha laughs, sharply, just once. "No imp can grant these kinds of powers. No, this is more of an interaction. Something in you resonating with my fiendish essence."

"Any chance you're going to tell me what?"

"Not without another wager. And that one will be heftier. Interested?"

Curiosity eats at the back of Sam's mind. But he's already won one wager recently, and his luck must be stretched thin. Besides she's given him plenty to process with the last revelation. Ultimately, Sam shakes his head. Luckily Senna's theatrics come around to change the subject.

"Samuellian Pact eh? I like the sound of that. Think we'll make the history books?" Sam reaches up and prods at Grepha's arm. The imp hisses in mild irritation.

"Purified fiend. Purified fiend she says," she snarls and scoffs in the same breath, giving Senna a bitter, piercing sneer. "I honor the terms of my bargain, girl. Nothing is purified here." The word drips from her fangs like venom. Grepha whips Sam's back with the blunt side of her stinger tail. "Now pay attention, boy. There is trouble ahead."

Looking up from their chatter, Sam stops in his tracks upon seeing the carcasses piled up, horse and vulture both. He looks to Caelyn for guidance, but she seems just as baffled and troubled. Sam's eyes trace over the area. The imp's eyes are already scanning the treetops for a hidden ambush.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Investigation:
    (1d20+4)[20]
    Grepha uses Help to give Advantage:
    (1d20+4)[19]

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian gives Aintas a shrug, not wanting to point out that they'd probably have harder fights to come and that this might be the least of it, and instead says with a chuckle, "I don't recall being 'respected' or 'elder'. I'll leave both those to you and Melain."

When they come across the dead vulture's Vyvian's first thought is that someone dangerous followed them out here. As it seems like an unlikely coincidence that two groups of people capable of fighting the vultures and killing them before they could flee would pass by in such a short time. Without saying anything, she begins to look around for anyone hiding out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+3)[15]

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Call it a hunch but maybe these where the wyverns the patrons back at the inn told us about. That, or that creepy halfling.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

You can't see any obvious tracks, but the ground around the area is churned, as if someone dug it up with a shovel only to return it back in place but didn't pat it down again, loose bits of mud and dirt are easily kicked up and pressed down as Caelyn approaches. Just as her hand reaches out to inspect further there's a rumbling beneath her feet and two enormous insects pierce up from the ground screeching loudly. Their full size is concealed beneath the ground but even what they're showing dwarfs any of the party twice over in both length and breadth. Their green chitin shells gleam in the sun, but far more pressing are their snapping mandibles dripping with sizzling acid. Beady eyes squint as they make to attack.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Roll initiative :) (1d20)[19]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas
    HP:28 AC:17

Aintas got an uneasy feeling the more they went close to the scene. For once, his feeling paid off as he reacts almost instantly the moment these creatures emerge. Without a moment's thought, he yells as he moves forward

"Get behind me everyone!"

He advances at a jog to the nearest creature and he summons all his stamina to attack fast and first.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Move to meet the creatures, staying at 10 ft range. Action Surge to attack twice the same ankheg.
    Atk1 (1d20+5)[18] dmg (1d10+3)[5] and Atk2 (1d20+5)[18] dmg (1d10+3)[8]
    BA Atk3 (1d20+5)[21] dmg (1d4+3)[4]
    If any attack hits, then menacing strike to add (1d8)[3] dmg and Will save DC13 to be frightened. If none hit, then Precision Attack to add (1d8)[5] to the first attack

29. - Top - End - #389

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Grepha jabs Sam in the back with her stinger, though not hard enough to pierce his leather cuirass. "There. Under her." His attention is drawn to Caelyn just as two massive insectoid creatures erupt from beneath. Springing into action born of panic and adrenaline, Sam starts to run forwards, but Grepha grabs him by the horns and steers him to the right. "Don't run in. Use your brain, lizard. Get them from an angle."

Following the advice, Sam moves towards the right side of the road, trying to line up a shot. He holds out an arm and fires a green bolt at one of the monsters, trying to knock it away from Caelyn before it can snap her up in its mandibles.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Sam
    Move 2 SE, 1 South, 2 SE.
    Eldritch Blast at the north Ankheg, to knock it 10 feet diagonally NE.
    (1d20+5)[16] to hit
    (1d10)[5] force damage if it hits

Grepha
    Steering the combat vehicle.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Sam's blast knocks the insect back, fully out of its hole. It's as large as expected. Crawling forwards on uncountable legs it moves back to its feast (Caelyn) and grasps her with massive claws, its serrated mandibles biting through her armour into her shoulder. She can hear and feel the sizzle of acid dripping from its maw. The scent of burning leather fills the air. Aintas manages to interrupt the other from helping its companion to an elf dinner, his glaive finding small weak spots in the chitinous plating and coming away with blood dripping from the blade. The great insect spins in place, still half underground, and vomits up a stream of burning green liquid that shoots over both Aintas and Sam, covering them both. Plants immediately wilt away, rocks begin fizzing and you can feel the distinct irritation as it begins to eat into your flesh/scales.

As if that wasn't bad enough, there's another rumble and a third Ankheg bursts up from the ground right in front of Senna, Vyvian and Melian, screeching with the same insectoid roar as its companions, mouth dripping with eager acid as it eyes up the three.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Sam and Aintas take 16 Acid damage, unless they make a DC13 dex save in which case it's halved. The 'middle' ankheg isn't looking healthy though!
    Caelyn takes 13 slashing damage and 1 acid damage. She's also Grappled (DC13 to escape).
    And another ankheg appears, but hasn't yet attacked.

Spoiler: Senna's Knowledge
    Show
    They're big insects that live underground. They sometimes drag people still alive back into their tunnels to kill and eat in 'safety'. Caelyn might be safe from that now that it's been knocked out of its hole though. For now.

Spoiler: Grappled Condition
    Show

Grappled
    A grappled creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
    The condition ends if the Grappler is incapacitated (see the condition).
    The condition also ends if an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the Grappler or Grappling effect, such as when a creature is hurled away by the Thunderwave spell.

Final initiative count was:
    Sam/Aintas - 19
    Ankhegs - 19
    Senna - 16
    Caelyn/Melian - 15
    Vyvian -14

Big rollers this time. Everyone gets a turn of course, this is just in case attack order matters.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC