New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Having dealt with the exchange of goods and returning to Joia, most of the afternoon and evening as free time is a welcome respite from the last few days of high intensity activity and threats to your life. It is, thankfully, much more calm than your previous night at the inn. No assassins in the dark or nightmares plaguing your sleep/trance. It passes slowly, comfortably, and perhaps for a few moments you forget about the worries and just enjoy your evening. You have something of a hero's welcome in the inn - the drink flows freely and the food never seems to run out. You start to truly understand why it's called the Friendly Arm Inn. There's a seemingly never ending conga line of people coming to and fro, all with apparently good intentions. Some drop in for a few words (or, as is more often the case, slurred ramblings). Joia even makes an appearance at one point, though she's still a bit subdued to start with.

The evening fades away and the morning, along with any hangovers for the heavy drinkers among the group, approaches. Dawn breaks and it's easy to see that you've got clear skies ahead of you for the rest of the day. Breakfast is served down below, and before long you're out back into the gleaming sunlight for what looks to be another beautiful day. A horse, an affectionate black-and-white animal with exceptionally long hair on its mane and hooves. The stablehand seems a little sad to see Leo go, but doesn't have much of a choice after you handed over the gold.

Though your beast of burden can't carry you all, it can alternate two at a time in the wagon, which allows you to relieve your feet somewhat for the journey. The path to Beregost is well tread - as the main road up this section of the Sword Coast, it's an easy walk without any concerns for sudden sinkholes or uneven terrain. The morning passes quietly enough. You see some people going the opposite direction but the interactions boil down to little more than a quick greeting and a nod of acknowledgement.

Shortly before midday, you reach a crossroads with one fork heading west - Candlekeep. So close, yet still so far. You turn away, your path still laid out further south. Remarkably, you encounter no trouble on the journey. You do see the remnants of what was probably a previous attack - a wagon overturned, its contents looted and blood in the soil - but the bodies of any assailants or assailed and their items are long since gone.

Dusk begins to hit as you reach Beregost. Unlike the Friendly Arm there's no guards at the 'entrance' to the town - if it could even be called that. The road just slowly turns from a country road into one surrounded by houses and other buildings. It's not a large town, maybe 1500-2000 people living there at most from a guess, but it's still the largest place you can remember ever visiting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Though I probably don't need to say it, just as a reminder - your stay at the inn is a full long rest, so update sheets (spells, HP, spent hit dice etc.) accordingly!

Travel RP as you wish. Gimme some pointers on where you're headed next ("inn", " either here or discord. Next update probs tomorrow evening.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 21/21
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

While you get your armors fitted, I'm gonna check out town. Maybe they have a library. Whos' with me? The cleric is happy to see another settlement, but she is starting to miss the books of Candlekeep. The real world was suprisingly illiterate.

After asking around, she is pointed to an old wizard named Firebead Elvenhair, a traveller even welcome in Candlekeep. He helped Senna with her magical education and especially her familiar. Glyph takes very much a liking to the old man.Master Elvenhair, what a surprise. I am Senna, you taught me. My siblings and me are in town after - well, we got robbed and our father... she pauses for a moment. I would love to reminisce of old times tonight. But you are a scholar at heart and more familiar with the current events than us. What is this Iron Crisis we were told about?

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/24 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

That evening, Sam partook of the wine, but not excessively. Among his faults and vices, wine is not one of them - although he finds it the least repulsive of the alcoholic beverages he's tried behind Gorion's back. He finds his shoulderbound companion absent for much of the early evening.

Aintas would notice some clicking noises, from the direction of the window to he and Sam's room. But the third floor windowsill remains empty, devoid of thieves and assassins.

On the main road south, Sam looks off towards Candlekeep. His thoughts drift to what Grepha had told him before of Imoen. Part of him wants to tell the others now, but he half expects them to drop what they're doing and try to go back. The gates would not open for them, and that beast of a man may be watching the place... he will confide in them later.

In the town of Beregost, Sam finds himself immediately curious. To most, barely a town. To him, the first he's ever been to. He joins whoever brings their wagon to the stables, then wanders the cobblestone streets aimlessly, taking in the sights and shops looking for anything that catches the eye.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 24/24
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

Evening Before
    After completing her role as the group's merchant, Vyvian wandered around the place for a bit and left little gifts of flowers or shiny rocks she found for children. After that she returned to the inn and enjoyed the festivities. When Joia arrived, Vyvian did her best to make sure she had a good time. Making sure she joined any terrible singing that would be happening at the time. Later Senna would notice that she never returned to their shared room, but joined them promptly in the morning.

During Travel
    When not napping in the wagon, Vyvian would try to familiarize Leo with her. So there were many horse pats and asking Caelyn how and what to feed a horse. Even though they had feed she bought.

Arrival
    "No thanks. Ask him how I can get a magical pet like you all have. Preferably something more amazing that Sam's little demon thing." she says to Senna and sticks her tongue out at Sam.

5. - Top - End - #425

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam rests his thumbs in his belt and grins back at Vyvian. "More amazing? What, you gonna get a little dragon or something?" He laughs and looks out of the corner of his eye at Melian.

"Wanna take a look around and see what the place is like Vyv? I know you've been in cities before. Are they all this big?"

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian rolls her eyes, "I don't want some repeat pet. I need my own thing like a.... I dunno." and just shrugs.

At Sam's second comment she laughs quite loudly and puts a consoling hand on his shoulder. "Oh Sam. This is.... nothing. It's not even close to big enough to be called a city. This is just a town. But sure, let's explore!"
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-05-14 at 12:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 14 HP: 25/25
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Concentrating on:

That Morning

Caelee wakes up early in the morning, but remains in bed until most of her family is already at breakfast. When she does come down, she is holding her head, her face is grey, and she eats very little, despite the free food. It is obvious she has a hangover, as she is irritable and sullen for the first few hours of the day. When they begin to travel, she lays down in the cart face down to keep the sun out of her eyes and takes long pulls from her waterskin. Despite all this, when she remembers the previous night she smiles wide, thinking of the singing and dancing, and yes even the drinking. When they pass the western fork in the road, she gives a longing look towards Candlekeep, but remains silent, thinking of who they had lost since beginning this adventure.

In Beregost

It's so big... Caelee turns a circle in place, taking in the town with wide eyes. She had heard about places like "towns" and "cities", but she had never thought she'd actually see one. The fact that Vyv considers this place small makes it all the more awe inspiring. When the prospect of exploring the town comes up, Caelee's eyes brighten for the first time since waking up. Let's find that armorer! I can't wait to get into that studded leather! Once it is adjusted and cleaned, of course.
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Wizard

Firebead is an old man at this point, with a long brushed beard that tumbles down his chest to below his stomach. Given how he looks 'at' you, he may be half blind. He doesn't seem to really focus on your face or eyes like a sighted person would. His clothes have a mismatched colour scheme which only seems to reinforce this. Or perhaps he's just fashionably bereft in general. "Oh dear, I'm so sorry." He says, though he sounds a bit absentminded about it. If it was his intention to be comforting over Gorion, he's not doing a great job of it. "Unfortunately I only know as much as anyone else, you might have heard of it all already - it's a twofold issue really. One is that the iron trade is being plagued by bandits so Baldur's Gate can't import foreign iron safely. The second is that all the iron coming out of Nashkel is..." he pauses, trying to find the right word, "diseased, for lack of a better term. Once it's forged it starts to just fall apart, like it's sick. Some - not me, but some - think that Nashkel's turned traitor to Amn and it's all a plot to take territory from Baldur's Gate. Anyone who finds a solution would probably end up being a hero." It's said with the same sort of absentmindedness, though you intuit a bit more...intent from him than before. He wants you to go south.

Wandering Around Town

The town is starting to wind down as night approaches. Merchants are boxing up whatever stalls they had and shops are locking up for the evening. The taverns are still open but the rough hewn streets steadily thin out of people as you move between the houses. As you round the bend into the centre of town the sound of tavernsong starts to fill the air, though it's still probably a street or two away. Stood near a fence is a young man who has a distinct look of concern on his face. He's maybe in his early 20s but his boyish good looks make his age hard to tell. He's got neatly combed hair and has the ornate trappings of a minstrel or similar entertainer. As you cross his path he looks up at you and rushes to head you off. "Ah, hail! Ho there! Hello!" He says in a melodic tone. "You uh, you look capable with your...your weapons and...well the weapons mostly." He gestures at the blades and bows on hand. And also the fact that Sam is half-dragon. "I have a proposal, if you'd hear it. How would you like to take on a well-paying bodyguard job for my mistress?"

Blacksmith

A town the size of Beregost is served by a single blacksmith's shop - though it's got a number of workers there. You're pointed in its direction easily enough and, thankfully, it looks like they haven't closed up shop for the night just yet. Pushing the door open you're assaulted by the heat of the forge and the clash of hammer on metal. It's an expansive shop, maybe 100' long and half as wide, and judging from the doors inside and the size of its exterior there are more rooms off to one side. There's only a few people working at this time, but an enormous man behind the counter to your side beckons you over. He's got the broad build of a lifelong smith, with bulging muscles that have seen daily use for years and years. Patches of soot and ash are scattered across his friendly face and arms. "Welcome to Thunderhammer Smithy. I'm Taerom, the owner and head craftsman. What can we do for you today?"

Spoiler
    Show

If I'm not wrong -
    Caelyn/Aintas(?) - Blacksmith
    Senna - Wizard
    Sam/Vyvian - Wandering Around Down
    Melian - Wildcard right now? Can slot in anywhere
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #429

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"This isn't big?" Sam looks in amazement at the buildings and shops. He'd only ever had Candlekeep for reference, and there were so many more buildings here - the lack of stone walls probably made it feel more open and wide as well. But most of all, the people. Not a light collection of guards and quiet scholars coming and going. There are people everywhere, packing up goods or headed home for the night.

"This is not big. You should see Athkatla," the raven on his shoulder croaks.

A new face approaches, and Sam can't help but notice the concern etched on it. Putting on a friendly smile, perhaps not helped by his countless sharp teeth, Sam waves and greets the minstrel. "Ho there yourself, stranger!" His sudden request doesn't trigger the least bit of suspicion. After all, they'd met several people already in need of help in these troubled times. "Mistress? Is she in trouble?" He isn't sure if the man meant wife, or boss, or maybe he is one of those pretty people the keep guards used to talk about. The 'brothel' workers.

Grepha eyes the music-spinning layabout. He doesn't look like he can afford much more than busking his way to the next tavern. She opens her beak to inquire, "What's your offer?"

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Wandering Around Town

"Some trouble yes, though I'm sure it's nothing you can't handle!" He replies amiably and earnestly. With an exaggerated bow he continues, "I'm Garrick and I work for Silke Rosena. She's the most skilled musicion and actor along the Sword Coast. In fact, she's due to play at the Ducal Palace before the month's done. But, sadly, she is being harassed by thugs in town. They've been hired by Feldepost." He says this as if you're keenly aware of who Feldepost is and his reputation - you are not. "She was meant to perform at his inn but backed out. You can't blame her for not showing up, with a villain like him running the place. She needs some protection until she's ready to leave town, and she's offering 300 gold for the trouble. What do you say?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"Well the first thing I say is, who is this Feldepost? And how long does she need us for? Either way, we'd have to ask the rest of our group." Vyvian jumps to reply before Sam can say yes or the demonling can say no.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Blacksmith

Oh, hello! I'm... Caelee stops dead for a second before shakily recovering. "... here about some armor. We are. We ran into some hobgoblins who were more heavily armored than us and came out on top. We were wondering if you could size them down, patch the holes we put in them, and make them suitable for us?" Caelee hefted her new studded leather armor up to show Taerom. She tried not to think about the fact that they were being hunted. That they shouldn't use their names as often. That it was smarter to lie. She wasn't quite ready for living in that world, but she couldn't help but acknowledge that it was where they found themselves.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-14 at 09:31 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #433

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Nice to meet'cha Garrick, name's Sam," the half-dragon introduces himself readily. He motions with a thumb between his two companions. "The bird's Grepha, and the eager beaver's Vyv. She's right though, we should ask the rest of our group before we go committing to anything. You have a place we can meet up?"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

- Earlier -
    Melian enjoys the night's festivities in a subdued way, nursing her cup and staying put at a corner table smiling at Caelyn's shenanigans.

During the trip south she sends her familiar ranging and uses her time on the cart to get some rest. The fact that the previous night wasn't entirely restful largely due to an inebriated and overly-bubbly Caelyn is somewhat evident.

- Beregost -
    Upon arrival, Melian stops dead in her tracks like most of her siblings, amazed at the size of the place. It was obviously not as impressive as Candlekeep but the sheer number of people surprised her. Upon hearing that Firebead had a house in town, she perks up and follows Senna. "Let's go see him, sister! I miss our library study sessions and this is the closest we might get to one this far from home."

At his house, Melian acts deferential to the old man. She listens intently at his accounts of the diseased iron before speaking. "What makes you believe Nashkel hasn't allied with Amn? It's far enough south to fall under its influence, no?"

At a lull in the conversation she changes track. "Master Elvenhair, it is a pleasure to see you once again. I was hoping you could help me with something." She takes a moment to fish out Gorion's spellbook from her backpack. "This belonged to father and, as you might imagine, is sealed. My arcane education no longer has the benefit of being conducted within Candlekeep, so I was hoping you could give me some ideas on how to access the knowledge within." She looks hopefully at the wizened wizard.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Currently trying to carry a couple conversation threads with Firebead here, one about the iron crisis and one about the spellbook. Sorry if the writing is confusing.

Last edited by cigaw; 2020-05-15 at 12:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Wizard

"A curse was looked into of course, but they couldn't find a magical trace on any of the iron, so it's certainly possible but at the moment the prevailing theory is alchemical rather than magical, as an issue." Firebead offers. "As for Nashkel turning traitor, it just doesn't seem likely - no hints previously and all the talk comes from..." he pauses, trying to find the right word for seemingly polite company. "well, it's a bunch of peasant rumours, those who're quick to blame foreigners for any ills that befall us. I don't put any stock in such things."

The aged wizard plucks the spellbook from Melian's hands with surprising grace. He doesn't look at it but after setting the tome in his lap his fingers run gentle circles over the cover. He occasionally croons an "oh" or "hmm" as he does so and it's a few minutes of this before coming to a stop. Finally he taps twice on the exact centre of the cover. A number of arcane sigils and circles spring up from the book, floating in mid air and circling around Firebead, gleaming with arcane energy of various colours and intensities. Never once do his eyes seem to acknowledge the goings on, he's going entirely by feeling, from what you can tell.

"Fascinating. Most fascinating." He mumbles. "It's a dual layered lock, sealed with a voice command, but, hmm, what's..." The tips of his fingers glow as he taps the cover again and the sigils shift slightly. Lines of energy connect some and weave a spiderweb tapestry in the air around him. "Ah, it's refreshing to see such clever spellwork." With gentle and suddenly quite shaky hands, he passes the book back to Melian, the glowing sigils slowly dissipating into the air.

"I think he cared about you greatly." Firebead says finally. "The tome is locked, as you said - there are two voice commands that unlock it, one appears keyed to Gorion's own sympathetic signature while the others...well if I had to guess, it's probably you and your siblings. The first lock is what any wizard would do with their tome - nothing special or ornate about it. Simple and efficient. The second one though, there's another spell interwoven to that lock. I believe it carries a message for you from Gorion, though I can't say what he has to say or why he'd go to such lengths to conceal it."

"I can unlock the tome, given time. A fortnight, maybe a month, of work, and I could break the locks. But I'd erase whatever messages he had left for you all. The spellwork's too intertwined to separate them."

Wandering

"You don't kno-" Garrick cuts himself off with an exaggerated slap of his own forehead. "Of course, how could I not have seen it sooner! You're new in town. I'm sorry. It's nice to meet you. Feldepost owns...well, Feldepost's Inn. As you might tell he's something of a narcissist, and not above hiring thugs to make sure he gets his way. Mistress Rosena, she was booked to do a show but after seeing how Feldepost acted she pulled out. The thugs are to 'teach her a lesson'. We're going to get out of Beregost come morning, so you'd need to meet us soon..." He trails off, concern written on his face.

Blacksmith

Taerom reaches out and takes the armour from Caelyn. Despite its size and weight he grips it easily with one hand. A ponderous look crosses his face as he look mentally measures the armour against the young elf in front of him. "Aye, shouldn't be a problem. A job like this we could have done by tomorrow morning easily." He sets down the armour on the counter with a thump before digging underneath it for a few scraps of paper. "5 gold per piece of leather and...is that splint? That'd be...25 for that, so 35 gold if that's all you want doing." He scribbles on the paper and smacks it on top of the armour pile, before using an ink stamp on another piece. "Payment up front, lass. Anything else?"

Spoiler: Blacksmith
    Show

Gonna assume you brought all the armour with you, along with a chunk of gold to pay, I don't think anyone needs the RP scene of running back to the group to get money only to run back to pay the man. It's not that important.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #436

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian watches in awe as Firebead lays bare the foundations of Gorion's spellwork on his spellbook. She's fascinated by the swirling sigils and how deftly the wizard reads them without use of his eyes. "So much to learn," she mumbles to herself, humbled.

Taking the spellbook back, she listens intently and holds back a tear upon hearing there's a message hidden for herself and her siblings. "Thank you but no, Master Firebead. As much as I would like to access father's spells it isn't as important as preserving his memory. I'll hopefully find a way of unlocking it without erasing his messages. Any recommendations?"

Thinking for a moment she adds "Since leaving Candlekeep we have been targeted by an unknown group who use some form of tracking stone in order to communicate bounties via messengerg birds. While the stone's enchantments aren't overly complex I was wondering if you could think of a way of reversing it, to track those who place the bounties. Or if you know who might manufacture these items."
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-05-15 at 10:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Of course we'll help," Sam reassures the man, seeing the deep concern etched on his face and unable to turn him down. To his surprise Grepha echoes, "Agreed."

Sam looks up at her with a smirk and a quirked brow. "Don't give me those eyes, boy. The amount on offer is a generous sum for a single night of bodyguarding from some village bumpkins." The raven snaps her beak in Vyvian's direction. "You. Urchin. Make yourself useful and fetch Aintas. We need a proper warrior for a job such as this."

"Yeah, he's be the best for this," Sam agrees. He smiles at Garrick. "I'll come along with you for now, 'till my older brother can meet up with us. Where should the others come to join us?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-05-15 at 01:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Blacksmith

That will be just fine, sir. Thank you. Caelyn counts out the gold carefully before handing it over to the big blacksmith. Then she turns to Aintas. Well, that's done. Should we go meet with the others? Maybe find a tavern and have a few drinks for laughs? C'mon, it'll be fun! She makes to leave the forge, tugging her older brother along with one hand.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-15 at 12:57 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian just whaps Greppa across the beak with a slap and says, "Rude little thing. You go fetch the others. As for you Sam, didn't I just say we needed to ask them first?"

20. - Top - End - #440

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

The bird makes a wholly un-avian hissing noise as Vyvian whaps her in the beak. Sam makes a shushing noise. "Vyv'll help me here, alright? Go see where Aintas and Caelyn went off to, please." Shooting Vyvian a glare of daggers, the raven caws and flaps its wings, taking off to seek out some of the other siblings.

Sam turns to Vyvian and shrugs. "I'm willing to bet none of us will want to turn down someone in need. Heh, might even make that bet too if you weren't the one with the coinpurse," despite his often naive openness, he quiets his voice to a whisper for the last bit, not wanting to give any eavesdroppers an idea where their coin was. "Besides, he said it's urgent. We can't just leave someone to get mugged if we can do something about it, right?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-05-15 at 01:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Wizard

Silently, Firebead takes the stone into his hand, weighing it gently by bouncing it up and down before sighing. "You should know how to turn this around." He sounds disappointed and tosses the rock back to Melian. "Did you apply Mythanthar's Principle when checking it out? Hm? Did you check the inner stratum? I'm half-blind and I can see the weavelines. I'd expect this sort of work from a -" He looks like he's going to spit but just sighs again. "- court mage. Anyone could make this if they tried. And these ones? They're tracing north somewhere - probably Baldur's Gate." For a man his age, he pouts as well as any toddler, apparently sincerely upset that you'd ask him to look into something so apparently pedestrian.

Wandering

"Thank you!" Garrick is ecstatic. "Oh you won't regret this - Mistress Rosena, she's just nearby, she should be round the corner by the inn. Come, come." He doesn't take you by the hand but it almost seems like he might for a moment as he hops down the street. It's not more than a minute or two away, and the sound of raucous enjoyment only strengthens as you follow behind him. Turning the corner onto the road, you see the light shining from inside the inn. Outside is stood an attractive woman in her mid-20s at a guess. Waves of carefully brushed brown hair tumble across her shoulders. Her eyes shine as two brilliant gems, and her skin has the smoothness of one unaccustomed to physical work. She is the sort of beauty you would expect at a noble's ball, not stood idly on the street in a middling town like Beregost.
    "I've found some Mistress." Garrick beams joyfully.
    "Indeed? Just two, Garrick? Her voice is haughty, its arrogance and intended superiority clear in a moment. She makes no attempt to mask that she thinks she's better than you before even speaking to you directly.
    "Ah, they have friends, these are just the first." Garrick hastens to add. She purses her lips.
    "Well then. Greetings, I am Silke. I trust Garrick has offered you the appropriate amount? 300 gold, yes?"

Blacksmith

"Woah, hold up there, those ankheg shells you got there?" Taerom vaults over the counter and strides past you. He kneels down beside the carved up chitin pieces and gently runs a hand over them, admiration clear in his movements. "Excellent specimens you got here. After some armour you said? I can sort you out. I'll take one shell as payment and turn the other one into the finest piece of 'plate' you've seen. Will take a bit longer to do than just your resizing - better part of a week I reckon, but I can keep it on hold if it takes you a while to come back." He stamps a second paper and hands them over. They're elven runes, you can tell. The first reads 'Size', the second reads 'Custom' - presumably referencing the two jobs he's taking on. "Bring those back when you come for pickup in case I ain't around so they know what to give you."

As you head out of the smiths, your work complete, the familiar familiar that is Grepha flaps into view. She turns a beady obsidian raven eye upon the two of you. "Hey. My master has entangled himself in some bodyguard work. You should probably go help." It's said casually, but with the force that it's not really a question or suggestion - she's essentially ordering you. "He's by the Sheaf Inn in town. Someone else can give you directions." She flies away before any questions can be asked.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"You can get into a lot of trouble making promises on behalf of others Sam. And I feel like we're hearing only one side of the story here." Vyvian says, kind of grumbling and still generally annoyed at being called "urchin".

Vyvian eyes the woman up, pegs her for someone wealthy, and replies, "Three hundred each, was the impression I got. I had meant to ask to make sure but your lad was very.... eager to get us here."

23. - Top - End - #443

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam walks along casually, following Garrick back to his 'mistress'. When he arrives, he takes stock of her. She looks well-to-do to be certain, so the amount of money on offer isn't a big surprise. The woman's superior attitude is brushed off like water from a duck's back. He's used to it from the nobles visiting Candlekeep. Challenging her will only make a scene.

"Hey, there. I'm Sam-" he's cut off as Vyvian takes a stab at driving up the price. Not wanting to undermine her in the middle of negotiations, he shuts up and lets her take the reins.

Leaving the others to find their own way, Grepha takes to the skies and eventually comes to a circle above the inn where Sam and Vyvian are speaking to their client. With a quite literal bird's eye view, she watches for the approaching lowlifes they were told to expect.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Diseased metal? That sounds wrong. And much more like a curse, or transmutation magic than that. I always thought alchemy is just a fancy elaborate way of producing evocation and transmutation magic. Senna says. She then watches Melian's and Firebead's discussion silently. As she sees Gorion's runes, she hastily try to scribble them down.

As the old wizard pipes up, she can't but defend her sister. We are sorry, Master Firebead. But we have much on our plate these days. Melian has decided to devote her time to the ancient elven tradition of bladesinging and I am devoted to ensure the safety of our group.

Regardless, this court mage was named Tarnesh. Surely a simple mind by your standards, and we bested him easily to be completely fair. But I feel we are better in less delicate circumstances.
    Senna ends grimly without going into too much detail.

Spoiler
    Show
    Calligraphy Tools: (1d20+2)[12] (+3 if Wis, +2 if Dex or Int)
    Thinking about the stone: (1d20+5)[21]

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

As was usual the case when he was around his much faster, much smarter siblings, Aintas is swept along in a maelstrom of negotiations and information. He managed to hide his surprise at the sheer scale of the town here, but his composure is being assaulted constantly. However, when the 'finest piece of mail' phrase hits the ether, Aintas perks up.

"We will for sure be here in a week to collect the plate. Nice doing business with you!"

Getting out, Aintas is grinning from ear to ear.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Wizard

"Alchemy is liquid magic, but often with an entirely different trace" Firebead ruminates. "Combine the right set of ingredients in the right way, and you can accomplish near anything. Finding that recipe is the hard part. A poison or oil that hinders the iron would be far more easily applied than needing an arcanist."

"It's good you're keeping safe. Gorion would want you to not go into danger I'm sure. Only ever wanted the best that one." His pout has been replaced with a maudlin sorrow. He's old enough to have seen many people around him die, but it doesn't seem like it got any easier. "Now, I'm tired. If there's nothing else, I think I'll retire for some brandy and a book."

Spoiler: Skills
    Show
    You copy most of the symbols well enough in their initial forms, but a few are missing and the shifted variants came and went too quickly to really make note of. Still, with downtime you could probably work out the first level of spell keeping the book shut - though that's also the one that Firebead said was the most elementary.

Even with the highrolled arcana check, you can't seem to pry any more out of the stone than you already had for now. Perhaps time with it will give you the insight you're after? And by that I mean, a level up.

Wandering

"Garrick did you say 300 each?" Silke's voice cuts into him.
    "N-no. 300 gold, just as you said."
    "There you have it. I think it a fair fee for one night's accompaniment of one such as I. Why, some might say that my company alone is payment enough." The haughtiness is thick and pronounced. You'd swear she couldn't look any further down her nose at you if she tried. Garrick, despite being cowed slightly by her words, still has a look of admiration for her. Despite her unpleasant demeanour, she does have a certain amount of presence. "The ruffians are expected post-haste. You must simply protect me. Strike fast and hard. Do not allow them to speak, for they will give you no quarter."

While you're talking, Aintas and Caelyn arrive.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

At "don't allow them to speak" Vyvian gives Sam a look as if to say "See, I knew this wasn't going to be what you thought it would be."
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-05-16 at 05:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Taking up a position nearby, Sam stands up straight and tries his best to look intimidating. The tall stature and scales do little to disguise his naturally friendly demeanor. "No worries, guys. We'll make sure nobody gets hurt." He looks over as a few shapes approach, only for it to turn out to be Aintas and Caelyn. Sam waves them over. "Hey there. This lady and her uh, bandmate guy or whatever asked us to do some bodyguarding. Apparently the innkeeper is sending some guys over to mess with them."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Thank you Master Firebead. Your help is most appreciated. Please, if you meet Tethoril, tell him we are safe and sound, and uuh, Jondalar as well. Senna blushes heavily, bowing before Firebead. She waits patiently for Melian to bid her farewell to Firebead. She watches intently. Maybe she is better at dealing with the intelligent, but quite direct of the old man.

30. - Top - End - #450

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian looks downcast as the old wizard admonishes her, but gives Senna an annoyed sidelong glance as she speaks up. "Thank you for your insight, Master Firebead," she says in a practiced monotone, immediately thinking of the times Candlekeep tutors found her progress lacking. "I will endeavor to be more thorough in my investigations in the future."

As the wizard tries to turn in, she remembers Vyvian piping up as the group separated and decides to inquire on her behalf. "There's one more thing I'd like to consult you on, sir. One of my sisters has inquired about obtaining a familiar or something of a similar nature for herself. While she has not shown herself to be magically inclined yet, she does possess a sharp mind and could pick up the basics of wizarding given the chance to study. While she would likely not be able to summon a familiar on her own at this point, do you know of any workarounds to give her access to some form of a permanent familiar or companion? Perhaps a ritual devised using Grephimon's Parity or Loristar's Intertwinement to have myself weave the energy while she provides the direction?"

- Aside to Senna -
    "I thank you for defending me, sister, but please don't reveal my studies or traditions to others. Bladesinging is secretive in nature and we never know who will come across this information eventually."