New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Aintas

Aintas is torn. He has blundered again and again. His father clearly told him to leave, half his siblings are already going...

"Everyone disengage. Follow Caylee, she knows her woodcraft. I will cover you, be going.

Meet again kitchenwards!"

Aintas is pretty sure these beasts do not know that the kitchen in Candlekeep was south and to the east of their dormitory, or that they used to play hide and seek younger by going 'kitchenwards'. Aintas remains last, in the defensive.

Holding action until everyone leaves, adopting a defensive stance as he disengages last.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --

Looking back, Sam sees Gorion fall. Fear and panic rush through him, but there's nothing they can do. This towering man walked through the old man's strongest magic like it was nothing.

Howls and shrieks fill the night air. Wolves? Did wolves sound like that? It was like no hound he had ever heard howl, that much is certain. Reaching out towards the armored hulk of a man, glowing red strings shoot out of Sam's fingers, lashing themselves to the attacker's limbs. The puppet strings tug at the man, attempting to force him to drop his weapon and run towards the horrible shrieking.

Not stopping to see if his spell worked, Sam flees south.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Casting Puppet on the enemy leader. If he is immune to Charm effects, this does nothing.
    If not, a save for him (without modifiers): (1d20)[13] - vs DC 13
    If the spell works, he drops his sword and moves up to his speed towards the shrieking.

Then moving 6 spaces south, out of the map.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn
    AC 14 HP 10

Caelee tries to remember the lessons of Aintas as she bobs and weaves in combat. Still, when the half-ogre's weapon comes down so close to her, she can't help but jump in fear instead of combat acumen, and she gives a panicked yell. Then the armored man's blade stabs into her father, and cold ice forms around the young elf's heart. NO! FATHER! Only Vyvian standing between them keeps Caelee from running to his side, despite his words. Aintas' voice cuts through the night with orders- disengage. Follow Caelee. It takes her a few seconds to process this, but then her path becomes clear. She has to help those she can still help. Waiting for the cleric and the ogre to be on the backswing, she quickly cuts south and sprints into the murk of the night. As she runs, she draws the small whistle she'd carved with Gorion's help, and once she was a distance away she turned and blew a high, piercing note on it. TO ME! TO ME!. She looks over the battlefield, pain in her chest and tears in her eyes, as she waits there for the rest of her family to leave their father behind.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Disengage action, move 35 feet due south, blow the signal whistle.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-30 at 06:07 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

Vyvian glares at the cleric in frustration. She hadn't been able to leave a single scratch on their father's murderers. This time Aintas gives a solid command, one she wishes she could disobey again. But she can't put the others at risk and she knows better than to stick around and fight losing battles. So as soon as the others are clear of the melee, she took takes off. Though she goes to the east to hopefully provide at least a bit of confusion to any pursuers.

Spoiler
    Show

Disengage, Move East.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard
    AC: 13 HP: 8/8
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11

Melian's eyes go wide as she sees Gorion crumble before her. The realization that the strongest mage she knows, her father and teacher, her guardian, lies dying before her and there is nothing she can do causes her to almost shriek in despair.

Instead, she hears Aintas call out and nods agreement that they have to fall back. Grimacing in anger at the Armored Figure, Melian quickly summons yet another frozen bolt, then turns and runs westward, never uttering a word.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show

Action: Ray of Frost vs Armored Figure
    • Attack: (1d20+5)[19]
    • Damage: (1d8)[3] cold
    • Crit: (1d8)[5] cold
    - Slows enemy speed by 10’
    Move: 30' West
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-03-30 at 08:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Vyvian and Caelyn dash away, the ogre moves to intercept but is floored by the arcane bolts striking him in the back of the head, dropping him in a moment. Gorion, still bleeding on the ground, turns and grabs at Aintas' boot, barely stretching to it. There's one last glimmer of magic which engulfs Aintas. "Be...safe..." It sounds almost like a prayer, but any more words are cut off when the armoured man drives his blade through Gorion's back, and he breathes no more.

For a moment, he stares down Aintas with a hunger glowing in his burning yellow eyes and you think he might continue the fight, but Sam and Melian's spells seem to snap him back. He shrugs off Sam's spell, but the ray strikes him in the side. And the screams were getting louder. "We should go." The priestess pulls a crystal from her back and steps up beside the man, then shatters it. Reality seems to bubble around them for a moment before they're sucked into a single point in space, and vanish. Aintas is left with the last words echoing in his head "He died for nothing." It was a promise, a promise that you would meet again, and next time Gorion would not be there to save you.

Spoiler: Nature Check/Spell
    Show
    The screams/howls are most likely from gibberlings or xvarts, more likely the former.

Gibberlings are small nocturnal creatures, about the size of a ten year old human though far more muscular, covered in fur and with a taste for flesh. They frequently hunt in large packs (some might describe them as 'swarms') and are driven into frenzies by the scent of blood.

Xvarts are blue skinned humanoids similar in shape to gnomes/halflings and while cowardly individually they attack in groups wielding crude weapons, often tormenting larger creatures.

Aintas is affected by the Longstrider spell (+10' speed for 1 hour)

Combat concluded for now.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Senna runs for a good while. Her heart sank as she left her siblings. As she finds them a few minutes later in the thicket, she breathes a sigh or relief. Are you guys alright? she asks. As she realizes no one is dead, her thought shifts towards Gorion.

Senna starts crying uncontrollably. No. It is all my fault. I killed him. The girl breaks down onto her knees, burying her face in her hands. As she realizes she could be too loud, she presses her hands against her face to muffle her sobbing.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas stands there for a second. The scene is surreal. His brain cannot process it. Slowly, like Garion is sleeping, he closes his eyes and puts his hands in his chest. His logic tells him to search him for anything that could give them a clue to where they were going but he finds he cannot.

He starts running towards his siblings, tears in his eyes. When he gets there he says.

"Father is dead. Some things are approaching. We should move on and find a safe place to rest or if need be, push through the night until we get to that tavern.

I say the latter. Of you agree, Caylee and Vyvian, take point. We need your elvish eyes, your stealthcraft and your woodcraft. Melian, please, stay in the back. You also see best. The rest of us, in the middle. I say we move on until we are ready to drop from fatigue."

I failed him. I failed them all.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

At first, Caelee is dismayed that her brothers and sisters seem ready to scatter to the wind rather than follow her. Then the final blow is delivered, and she turns away for a few moments, unable to look towards the scene. When she does manage to turn back, the armored figure is gone and Aintas is running back towards them. But it is Senna who draws her attention as she falls to the ground crying. Caelee moves towards her with none of her normal speed and crouches next to her bookish sister, wrapping her arms around her. Its not our fault, Sen. We... did what we could. She squeezes her tight, her own sobs joining the cleric's as she whispers comforting words in her ear. But then another of those screams pierce the night. She looks up, fear replacing the sadness for now. She tries to haul Senna up to her feet. Sen, we have to go. There's gibberlings coming this way. If we stay we'll need to fight... and none of us are in a state for that right now. Please, follow me and Vyvian. We need to GO.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-31 at 10:25 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #40

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Stumbling through the woods, Sam starts to realize he is lost. He looks around, but his siblings are nowhere in sight; he's gotten too far ahead of them. But then he hears Caelyn's whistle on the other side of a thicket. He fires a series of crackling bolts to break up the thick bushes in his path and pushes through the shattered brambles.

He arrives a the others, as they regroup. There is no Cheerful Sam tonight. Just Sam. He stands next to the thicket he tore through, a little stunned. Unsure of what to say.

Grepha is looking towards where Aintas is approaching from, relieved. "No sign of him. He's gone, we're home free." Sam's eyes are drawn towards the clearing where they fought. Barely visible through the woods are the slumped bodies of the giants and... somewhere, Gorion's broken form. The imp clicks her tongue, getting his attention. "Hey. Get the girl up. There's more trouble coming, we don't have time for her sobbing."

"Not home," is all Sam can weakly rasp out. Walking over to Senna and Caelyn, Sam takes Senna by her other arm and helps Caelyn pull her to her feet. "Keep it together Senna... just for now. Just till we're safe. I'll help her walk, Cae. Need you to lead us." Following Aintas' orders, Sam guides Senna into the middle of the procession, helping steady her until she is able to free her hands from covering her face.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Having darted away just for their attackers to vanish and run back over Vyvian momentarily feels a bit foolish. Then she sees Gorion's body and her heart breaks. Numbly she gives a nod to Aintas and just remarks, "You can't leave father's body here." as if this isn't a personal feeling but a statement of fact. and then moves ahead to scout the group a safe path forwards... somewhere. Not home. Where did father say to go? The Friendly Arm Inn. East. She focuses hard on the goal so she won't feel the tears running down her face.

Spoiler
    Show

Some checks in case I need them.

Stealth: (1d20+5)[25]
    Perception: (1d20+3)[20]
    Survival: (1d20+1)[6]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Can I at least send him off with a short prayer? Senna asks. We should also see if he has anything on his body that his friends would want to have.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

A prayer is ok, as long as we hurry. Caelyn swallows and turns to Melian. Would you... can you help me search father's... She nearly breaks down in tears again, gripping the sides of her head in an attempt to keep her emotions in check, biting her lip and starting again. Melian, can you help me go through father's things to see if there is anything we can use or his friends may need? I wouldn't recognize the magical stuff. Not like you would, any way. Either way we need to be quick. She lets out a loud sniff and rubs her nose with her arm.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #44

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard

Melian runs until her lungs burn, first away from the terrifying armored man and then towards Caelyn's fading whistle as the sounds of combat cease. As her legs give out she doubles over, breathing hard, the sound of her own heartbeat deafening in her ears.

Finding herself alone, Melian falls to her knees, her controlled facade shatters and lets out a blood-curdling wail.

She wants to cry but tears won't come. Somewhere deep within her a spark of hatred surfaces and her despair gives way to pure fury. Suddenly remembering a passage on a book of Elven Rituals, Melian stares up at the night sky and intones in a loud clear voice filled with rage as she slices her palm to bloody the ground below her.

Spoiler: Elvish
    Show
    "Hear me, O Seldarine! Hear as I swear my vengeance! Shevarash, guide my path! Labelas, grant me time! Corellon, make me strong in the Art! Upon thee and on my blood I swear this Oath. Retribution will be mine!"

As her breath evens out, Melian stands and sheathes her dagger. She picks her way back to her siblings; to the only ties she now has from her life in Candlekeep.

She takes a deep breath, speaking in a soft, determined voice. "We must find safety for the night and then we must bury father."

Turning to Caelyn, Melian lays a hand softly on her shoulder. "Of course I will, sister."

Show
    Melian wasn't exactly being silent with her oath. I'm gonna assume anyone who wanted to hear it did.

edit: Missed PPP's post before mine, added a line to Caelyn.
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-03-31 at 03:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Caelyn looks up at Melian, eyes wide and wet, nodding to her words as she walks over to Gorion's body. She moves slowly for the last half dozen steps, each stride smaller than the last, before she arrives at his body. His body. HIS CORPSE. Suddenly she is sure she will be sick, but nothing comes up. Forgive me, Father... she falls to her knees next to him, leaning in to kiss his still lips before she begins to gingerly look through his things. Her skin crawls as she looks through pockets, opens any bags, and checks for jewelry. You are robbing your FATHER goes through her head several times, and her hands shake the whole time. Her hands become covered in his blood, and she can't bear to wipe them off on his clothes. Trying to take her mind off the grisly task, she turns to Melian, clears her throat, and asks What were those words you screamed in elven? Who are Shevresh, Labalas, and Correllen? She pauses her search and finds her sister's bleeding hand and squeezes it, speaking in elven as quietly as her sister's oath was loud. I swear too...
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-03-31 at 03:46 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

JUN. Senna exclaims, tracing the draconic rune for light in the air, making her holy symbol, a necklace glow a warm yellow.

As part of her prayer, Senna first starts off a ritual spell, then reconsiders. She thinks for a moment, then recites a poem she switched up for the occasion.
    And when I see thee hang thy head,
    Twill be my turn to watch thy bed,
    And tears of sweet affection shed.
    Our father.

For Gods, who live beyond the skies,
    Would look with vengeance in their eyes,
    If you should ever dare despise.
    Our father.

Kneeling next to the corpse, his flayed robes drenched in blood, silent tear drops roll down her cheeks, illuminated only by her light spell.

Please. she whispers. Leave the minor things. Look for personal items. Letters, signets. Senna almost cannot bear the sight.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-03-31 at 03:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Barely a few meters away Vyvian notices the others are all just screwing around behind her and rifling through their fathers things with wild animals or worse closing in on them instead of carrying him with them like she said. She whips around, fires an arrow that whistles past Senna interrupting her ill-timed prayer session and stabs into the ground inches away from Caelyn's hand. She glares at all of them and says, "I said. We. Can't. Leave. The. Body. Here. Just Bring It." as she glares at all of them, tears still running down her face not wiped away, and then resumes her stalking off into the woods.

Spoiler
    Show

It should be noted that none of you have ever seen Vyvian that angry before.

Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-31 at 05:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Everyone starts drifting back towards Gorion's body, even as the howls and shrieks persist. Senna pulls away from his attempts to guide her towards the main road. Sam looks back at them, shaking his head n disbelief. "They got the right idea," Grepha chimes in, from a branch above him, and he looks up. She scratches at her ear, watching the fringes of the clearing for danger. "Carrying the body's just dead weight they can use to track you, but no sense letting his stuff go to waste. I'm sure an old wizard has some nice goodies... just wish they'd quit blubbering and hurry up."

The imp's callous comments and Vyvian's infectious anger begin to get to Sam, as he balls up his fists. "We don't have time for this!" Marching back into the clearing, Sam leans down and grabs Gorion, one arm under his back and one arm under his legs. With gritted teeth and mighty effort, Sam lifts up the old man and marches after Vyvian, too strained under the weight to manage any words. Hopefully the bodies of the ogres would satisfy the beasts enough not to pursue them.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas comes to where his siblings are. His face has a detached, frozen quality

"We do not have time for this. I will carry him. We will ...bury him later."

Giving his spear to Sam and his pack to Senna, he takes his father 's body over his shoulder, the way he carries deer after a hunt, and starts trotting.

"We must reach shelter. Then we will bury him."

20. - Top - End - #50

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard

Melian watches in a daze as her siblings surround Gorion's body and lift it up. Tempers flared, brothers and sisters arguing and nobody really knows what to do. Gorion would know, she thinks sadly to herself. How did everything fall apart so quickly?

"Vyvian's right, we have to find shelter," she says to no one in particular. Then, turning to Caelyn she says softly "We can talk about my oath later, sister. Let's go with the others." Then she adds more loudly, "For we are stronger and safer together."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

With Melian's support and Vyvian's unusually angry retorts, Senna snaps out of it. There was no time for mourning, not here. And she was a cleric, dammit. She should be the voice of reason in these times. Senna stood up and went to aid Aintas.

Sam, if we get caught off-guard, I don't want two of us busy. Plus, if you'd use your fire breath, you would burn him. Senna walks over to Aintas. The blessing of the House of Knowledge upon you. she said, brushing Aintas' arm.

Now, we go... Senna hesitates. All around her are trees. Where the flip IS the direction we were supposed to go?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

The weight of the old man is lighter than you might think - perhaps he was weighed down by magic now gone from his body. Out of the treeline shapes of the gibberlings approach, though stop to descend on the bowman first, perhaps happy to devour the easy food rather than that carried by the weapon-wielding living. Regardless of your direction, now is the time to get some distance. It doesn't take long to put steps between you and the feasting monsters, and they seem happy to fatten themselves on the ogres and men you left in your wake and leave Gorion to you.

After some 20-30 minutes of nocturnal travel you come to a small clearing that may service as a place to stop and reflect. It's hard to tell time but from the angle of the moon in the sky, it's likely very early hours of the morning.

Spoiler: If/when you search Gorion
    Show

He's not carrying much gearwise - his spellbook, a dagger and the pack for the journey (bedroll, torches, etc.)

In the inside breast of his rob you find a concealed pin, a map, and a letter. Though they are stained with blood you can clearly make out their contents.

Spoiler: Pin
    Show

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Spoiler: Letter
    Show
    My friend Gorion,

Please forgive the abruptness with which I now write, but time is short and there is much to be done. What we have long feared may soon come to pass, though not in the manner foretold, and certainly not in the proper time frame. As we both know, forecasting these events has proved increasingly difficult, leaving little option other than a leap of faith. We have done what we can for those in thy care, but the time nears when we must step back and let matters take what course they will. We have, perhaps, been a touch too sheltering to this point.

Despite my desire to remain neutral in this matter, I could not, in good conscience, let events proceed without some measure of warning. The other side will move very soon, and I urge thee to leave Candlekeep this very night, if possible. The darkness may seem equally threatening, but a moving target is much harder to hit, regardless of how sparse the cover. A fighting chance is all that can be asked for at this point.

Should anything go awry, do not hesitate to seek aid from travelers along the way. I do not need to remind thee that it is a dangerous land, even without our current concerns, and a party is stronger than an individual in all respects. Should additional assistance be required, I understand that Jaheira and Khalid are currently at the Friendly Arm Inn. They know little of what has passed, but they are ever thy friends and will no doubt help however they can.

Luck be with us all.

E

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

If I interpret this map right, and I may be wrong, where are somewhere here. Senna points towards the woods near the High Hedge, south of the Lion's Road. Whatever this High Hedge is, its occupants could help us. Do you think we should head to Beregost or go straight to the Friendly Arm where father's friends are? Because we may be able to reach the town without stopping.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas takes a sip of water and takes a look at the map.

"It seems to me that the only advantage we have is that we know where we are going, but our enemies don't. I say we cut straight north, avoiding the path, to reach the Inn. If we hurry, we can be there my midday tomorrow."

25. - Top - End - #55

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Sam is all too happy to let Aintas handle the heavy lifting as he comes over to take Gorion's body. He helps his brother get their father into a fireman carry before taking his place in the marching order, carrying Aintas' weapon for him in case he needs it on short notice.

Finally reaching a clearing to stop and gather their thoughts, Sam slumps down against a tree. "We should be... far enough. We should have time... for a proper burial." He'd never been much for athletics or exercise, and all the early morning walking had him tuckered out.
    For all the ignobility of it, his siblings had been right to check Gorion's things first, though. He had a crucial map and other odds and ends to give them half a clue where to go.

"Hey. Hey, listen to me," Grepha pokes and prods at the side of Sam's head as he tries to rest. "I need you to tell the wizard girl something for me." He slowly turns his head to look the imp's way, eyes tired and sad. But bedside manner has never been an imp's talent. "She needs to check if any of his cr- er, any of his belongings are magical."

With a heavy sigh, Sam motions for Melian to come over to where he's sitting.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

When Vyvian's arrow shoots the ground near her along with angry words that sting more than the arrow could, Caelee turns to her with venom on her lips, ready to unleash a tirade against her older sister. Sometimes, however, even with Vyvian, her wisdom manages to seize control. Now is not the time. With the gibberlings nearby, Caelyn takes off into the woods with the rest of her family, trying to keep them all on a safe path as they make their way through the trees.

When they find the clearing, Caelyn sinks to her butt, back against a tree, and removes Tal Kess from his bag at her side. Taking a moment to pour water from her skin into her hands, she washes them of Gorion's blood before giving some to her pet. The rabbit is a bit panicked- neither him nor his master is used to combat, and it requires several minutes of petting and care before the rodent calms down. This also serves to give Caelee a moment to calm herself, but her success in that is entirely more mixed. Looking up when she hears Sam's words, she slumps in exhaustion for a moment, then gets back up. She finds a likely stone and a patch of earth under a tree and begins to dig slowly, making a grave for her father. Then she stops and turns to Kess. Intoning words in the language of the Druids, she casts a spell allowing her to speak with the rabbit.

Spoiler: In Rodent
    Show
    Kess, can you help me dig? I know it's a lot of work, but it will be faster if we all help.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian was glad they managed to avoid running into any further danger before they found a place to stop and bury Father. When Aintas voices her opinion she states, "I agree with Aintas."
    Seeing Caelyn begin work on digging, she gives a short approving nod before saying, "I'll take my turn in a bit." and turns to Aintas, "Can I borrow you for a moment?" Her voice has a strangely numb quality to it.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas was well into his preparations to start digging, when the strange tone of Vyvian stops.

"Sure, sis. Right behind you"

Aintas 's worried expression follows Vyvian around. She is usually more volatile. He could understand a yelling storm over his mangling of the fight. But this request is strange.

29. - Top - End - #59

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Wizard

Falling in place at the back of the group, Melian keeps a watchful eye as they retreat away from the sounds of feasting gibberlings. Every now and again she catches sight of Gorion’s lifeless body and shudders involuntarily.

They find a clearing and lay Gorion’s body down, uncovering a map and assorted odds and ends. The group naturally starts breaking up, each sibling, newly orphaned, trying to deal with their own grief and disappointment.

She kneels down beside Gorion and works her magic to clean the blood and grime from his face and clothes as best she can. Now he only looks asleep, she thinks to herself. Hopefully it’ll make it easier for her siblings if they see him like this.

With a heavy sigh she stands up again and looks around her, seeing Aintas and Vyvian retreat for a private conversation and Sam motioning her closer. She nods and starts moving his way, stopping briefly by Caelyn and Senna to squeeze their shoulders reassuringly.

“Hey Sam,” she says sadly while sitting down beside him.

Show
    Multiple casts of Prestidigitation to clean up Gorion.

Holding off on talking about the pin until we do the Detect Magic thing and everyone’s together.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian guides Aintas a good bit away. Far enough that they shouldn't be overheard by sensitive prying elf ears unless they actually try to follow them. Then she positions them so there's at least one tree directly blocking sight between them and the others and Ainas' back is to it.

She exhales a ragged breath and then whisper-shouts to him, "What in the nine hells is wrong with them!?"
    She looks him directly in the eyes, but doesn't give him time to respond. "We were in danger and their priority was our father's belongings. They should have- It should have been him!" At this point she's opening crying and weakly slamming her fists into his chest and she leans over to sob directly into his chest-plate. There are some more gasping sobs for a few moments before she weakly adds, "Like who he was wasn't of value, just his things." another pause, the fist pounding stops and in barely a whisper she manages to push out, "It was like I was back there again."

Spoiler
    Show

Just to be clear this isn't a criticism of anyone's posts. I'm just in the habit of rolling with posting mishaps if that'll make things more interesting.

To give some background here that isn't present in the current IC actions, Vyvian typically is pretty upbeat and Aintas would never have seen her as angry as she was before or as upset as she is right now.
    Another important note is that while she doesn't exactly avoid talking about her life before Candlekeep she's always avoided giving anything close full picture of it. Just a little amusing anecdote here or there or an off-hand mention that at least clued her siblings into the fact that her old life wasn't the nicest. They'd know where she came from, that she hadn't had family before, and they'd know the short version of the story of how she got brought to Candlekeep. (Basically Aintas shouldn't be confused, she's clearly referring to her life back on the streets of Baldur's Gate. The implication being that she's seen dead people get treated like the only thing of value was what belongings they had on them.)

Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-01 at 07:07 PM.