New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 32/32
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 15
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

Caelee gets a wicked grin on her face when Vyvian loudly announces her intentions to go to bed. Goodnight, Vyv!

Caelee smiles when Minsc talks about Tal Kess, friendship, and family. She feels a warmth in her chest when he suggests she may see him again. For a moment this feeling pierces through her awkwardness, her embarrassment, and her attraction, changing her into a simple girl with new hope burgeoning in her chest. Her smile grows to a grin as she looks on the ranger with thanks in her eyes, and she decides to express it aloud. Thank you, Minsc. That... made me very happy.

Then he speaks about Dynaheir and her dajemma, but, as she was beginning to realize was normal for Minsc, he missed her suggestion entirely. A sudden pang of fear in her chest made her question herself- maybe he didn't notice her intentions because she wasn't pretty enough. Or too young. Or too awkward. Shaking her head, she dismissed these thoughts. No, he was just adorably dense and naive. That must be it. Sounds like a difficult job- protecting someone that important all across the world. From your stories earlier you must have experienced a lot. But the farther we go and the more we see, the more we think of home, right? Do you have anyone special waiting for you there? Remembering how easily he'd missed her point in the first round of questions, she summoned her bravery and decided to be more to the point. Are you... promised to anyone?
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 32/32 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: -- | --

"Hm," holding each of the bells, Sam rings them one at a time, testing out what each one's chime sounds like. "So the soft one is a lullaby, and the loud one is an order. That makes sense." He leans in, carefully analyzing each tone.

"Neither of those effects sound very necromantic, except maybe the one that preserves a body. Looking at it like a sort of sleep is clever though - I think you figured out a part of that one's riddle. Have you tried - ah geez, this is kind of morbid. But. Have you tried using the command one on a corpse? Or maybe if heavens forbid we run into like, the walking dead or something."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Performance to analyze the different tones and how it feels to chime them:
    (1d20+5)[22]

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-07-07 at 01:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 28/28
    PP: 13 PIv: 16 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

- At an unspecified time during the night and camping when it is reasonable to fit it in -

Struggling with the seals on Gorion's spellbook, Melian realizes she needs a fresh perspective. She turns to Vyvian.

"Vyvian, I'd like your input on something, if you have a few moments." Holding the book in her hands, she continues. "This is father's spellbook; it is currently locked and warded and I'm trying to undo the enchantments without damaging anything. Now this," she says, drawing upon the Weave to display the sigils as Firebead once did, "Is how the protections are laid out." Melian then points at the sigils, explaining their meaning and how they're connected.

"The first piece of the puzzle is a keyword, but which one I do not know. The rest, well," she smiles at her sister before continuing, "The rest is essentially a puzzle type of lock. I don't know anyone quite as adept as you at figuring how to unlock things."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Detect Magic + Minor Illusion combo to lay out the spellbook defenses. Modifying sigils via Minor Illusion as needed to have it make sense to Vyvian.

Unrelated to the post, Fëanáro is keeping watch near the camp.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 32/32
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

Just after she managed to get in a comfortable watch position, Vyvian is surprised by Melian show her a bunch of magical nonsense out of nowhere. "Ahhh, feels like home." she thinks half sarcastically to herself.

Looking over at Melian (rather than the illusion), she comments, "Have you tried saying every word you know at it in all the languages you know? That sounds horribly boring to me, but you like boring stuff anyway. But maybe if that's too much.... maybe you could just read your books out loud at it? Change languages when you get to words you've already tried in another?"

Then looking at the illusion of a strange magic puzzle thing she says, "I do enjoy fiddling with locks. That looks.... really weird to me, but I guess I can make a go of it. I guess you'd start with this bit here and then with this over... no, this one? Ah here we go, turn it like this and then...." she trails off as she mutters to herself as she gets really fixated on the puzzle. Whether or not she manages to figure anything out, she's clearly enjoying it (or at least interested if it gets to be frustrating).

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 16 HP: 27/27
    PP: 16 PIv: 12 PIs: 16
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

You might be right, but the two bells I did understand are mainly enchantment spells, things that affect the mind that many undead lack. But no, but I did cast the spell that prevented a corpse turning into an undead on the merchant back in Beregost.

Senna shudders, but utters her thoughts anyway. When the bells are between life and death, between mind and mindlessness, these might actually emulate the two schools of necromancy and enchantments. Maybe they can charm creatures, enslave them, living or not. These bells are a bit more sinister than I like, but their powers can be used to prevent death and destruction, so it is important to me, we can use them.

6. - Top - End - #846

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

"I could try a brute-force solution but there are so many words... Not to mention names." Melian then leans back as Vyvian becomes more engrossed by the puzzle, a slight smile on her face by getting her sister involved in what she usually considers boring weird magical stuff. As Vyvian tries different combinations, Melian keeps mental note of what works and what doesn't.
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-07-07 at 04:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

"You speak of romance? Of two together?" Minsc ponders nary a moment, without hesitation he continues. "Minsc has thought of this at times, but Boo is the only stalwart companion that Minsc needs. We have no time for the gentle touches of lords and ladies when there is justice to be done and we still have to finish our dajemma." He's not making light of the topic, his boisterous tones somewhat subdued. He's speaking kindly. "Perhaps one day, when Minsc is an old man and Boo is an old hamster we will settle down, but there is much evil left to be kicked until then." His sword cleaned and sharpened, he bids Caelyn a pleasant good night and retires to his tent alone.

Senna and Sam's combined efforts aren't sufficient to unlock the powers of another bell on their own. Though they bells aren't what you might call 'intelligent' on their own, they still resist direct attunement like most magical items may offer. Still, you feel like you've made real progress with the Fourth Bell. Of moderate size and clear, pretty, musical tones it no longer gives Senna a feeling of dread and wrongness when she holds it. It seems likely that proper 'acknowledgement' of Senna as its master is imminent.

Vyvian and Melian's glyph study proves to be both rewarding and stymieing at the same time. On the one hand, the book is still shut and stubbornly refuses to be opened. On the other hand, with Vyvian's new set of eyes and amateur approach to magics a few things overlooked slide into place (both figuratively and literally - together you work out how to slot some glyphs together). Alas, unlike Senna and her bells the book's secrets pose an all-or-nothing situation. Still, even if it may not feel like it in the immediate - especially to Vyvian - it has been productive without a doubt.

Senna's alarm spells, thankfully, remain untriggered over night and the overnight watches pass quietly without incident. The summer sun rises early but a light cover keeps it from being intrusive, and soon enough you're on the road again following the trail of boot and blood that disappears and reappears with irregularity. At one point you face off against a pack of wolves, but they're scared off quickly enough with displays of magic, smacking blades together and yelling. The effect seems to scare off any other would-be predators. All in all, another relaxing day.

Your campsite for the next night isn't quite the polar opposite of your first one, but it is markedly different. Absent any enclosed space in the area as night begins to fall you instead opt to camp atop a small hill, giving you ample view in all directions. Snatching the opportunity from any would-be snipers, Vyvian declares that she and Minsc will share first watch. As expected from the always-agreeable lummox, he he has no objections.

Spoiler: Grepha (still the last day)
    Show

The kobold yips at the sudden entrance of the talking bird, its scaled ears bouncing up and down in surprise, garnering the attention of a few onlookers. It clambers from its seat onto all fours and approaches Grepha, before poking at it with a single talon. It questions in broken Common "Buurd spake?" Perhaps thankfully, most of those who turned to look at the source of the sound turn away once it looks to be nothing more than a kobold jumping at a random crow. It twists its head to regard the disguised imp from another angle. "Buurd no spake?"

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian takes her spot besides Minsc and has idle conversation with him. Mostly asking about the places he's seen as seeing new far off places interests her. When the end of their watch shift approaches she out of nowhere bluntly asks him, "So do you currently have a romantic or physical relationship with anyone?"

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Minsc has settled into his seat quite comfortably and is gently offering small bits of scavenged greens and a bit of wild vegetable to Boo. "Caelyn asked Minsc the same thing! Do you think it is something to do with Minsc's hair, Boo?" He genially pokes fun at his hamster who is far more engrossed in chomping down on the food offered. He looks at Vyvian, "You are more direct though, but Minsc is still dedicated to defeating evil and doing goodness. We have no time for courting or romance, we are still on our dajemma!" He's not mad, but he does seem a little bit confused as to why it's come up twice in as many days. He's not trying to be cruel - it's unlikely he has the capacity to do so - he seems more offput and a little bit intimidated, even, by the subject matter.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

The night of the first camp

Oh... Caelee tries to hide her disappointment, and being a terrible liar does a poor job of it. Her heart sinks a bit in her chest, and she turns away for a few moments to collect herself. When she does turn back to Minsc, she has a small smile on her face. You do yourself credit to wait, my friend. Someday you'll make someone very happy. When Minsc goes to bed, she stays up a while, tossing stones into the stream and pondering deep thoughts. She has moments of self doubt, self depreciation, and eventually self esteem, going to sit cross legged on her bed roll outside her tent with only a few tear stains on her cheeks and a small smile on her face, ready to trance.

The second night of camping

Caelee stops for a moment when Vyvian calls first watch, wondering if she should let her sister know what Minsc had said the night before, but eventually decides to let her find out herself. She just hoped Vyv wasn't as embarrassed and hurt and she had been initially. Not ready for her trance just yet, she sets up her tent and gives plenty of room to Minsc and Vyv. Caelee removes a collapsed fishing pole from her bag and went off to hunt some worms for some night fishing. She hadn't had much of a chance to try out her skills, but she had read a book on the sport while in Candlekeep.

A few hours later, Caelee returned with a big grin on her face and a fish struggling on her hook. She took the time to kill the creature as humanely as possible before gutting it and setting it in a bowl of water to wait for breakfast the next morning. Setting her bedroll out under the stars, she entered her trance very satisfied with herself. Without Aintas, someone had to provide food for her family, and now she knew she was capable of doing just that.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-07-07 at 05:46 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #851

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

~The Previous Night~

One by one, Sam goes through the different bells, listening to their chimes. Most of them sound a bit off, maybe reluctant. But he finds one with a pleasant, song-like ring. Pretty and bright like birdsong. Ringing it again and listening he nods to himself. "If you're right, and they blend together enchantment and necromancy, my guess is that this one is a Charm spell of some kind. The pleasant, song-like ringing certainly doesn't sound aggressive, like the Command bell."

Setting the bells he'd looked at back in his box, he shakes his head. "No clue 'bout the others. Their tunes still feel like they're not ready to emerge yet."

~The Second Night~

Relaxing around camp and whistling to himself, Sam finds himself fiddling with his gaming set and wondering what Grepha wanted with those dice. Though considering she initiated their initial bet, she might just be as much of a gambler as he is, deep down.

When Caelyn returns with some fish he grins, "Awesome, haven't had fish for a while. Nice work, Cae!"

Spoiler: Grepha
    Show
    The bird hops back a few paces, luring the little kobold out of the public eye. "Oh, bird spake. Bird spake much." Once she's lead the creature to where she can more comfortably question it, she asks, "Kobold tell bird. Have seen, hu-man wearing shiny chain with coin on neck, having face of a lady?" She uses her wings to motion around her neck area.

After hearing whatever the kobold has to say on that matter she follows with another query, "And man, painted. Like crying tears." She describes Xzar's ridiculous face paint, running the corners of her wings down her face to mime out crying in charades.

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-07-07 at 06:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Concentration: -

First night:
    Thanks Sam, that was rather helpful. It does not openly resist my bids, but it does not give its magic in free pieces, if that makes any sense. I need to think over it a bit more.

Second night:
    Senna approaches Minsc with the bells. If scholarly approaches did not yield more results, and Sam's insight was only just revealing the bell, maybe blunt directness was the key to unlocking their secret. Hey Minsc. I know you're beset by my sisters all the time. Now it is my turn. She throws him the bell. What do you think of it? Ring it, wait a moment for the magic to wash over you and tell me what you feel.

Watching the loveable oaf deal with the medium bell, that seemed delicate in his hands, she adds: You know we can be glad we have you in our group. A protector and a great scout in one person is rare to find these days. Even rarer still that you have the compassion of a priest of Ilmater, with the strength of a bear. I think they're just scared enough by our situation that they seek safety in your presence.

There is a thing you should know. We are wanted dead by evil men. Men - and women - who killed our dearest father for protecting us, want us dead now as well. We suffered two ambushes now. I am not sure if they would follow us back here. But you can expect trouble once we return to Nashkel.

Keeping her distance and locking gazes with Minsc rather than wandering all over his body, Senna was relatively successful at maintaining her coolness.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Earlier, on the trail

Minsc takes the bell from Senna and gives it a light tapping, but the effect on him is clear from his face. He shivers and immediately hands it back. Even Boo seems offput by it. "I do not know what this is, but we do not like it." It garners a somewhat surprisingly aggressive squeak of annoyance from Boo in agreement. "Minsc does not understand magic, but Dynaheir does. Perhaps once we have rescued her she will be able to help, if we are not busy smiting evil of course."

"We are happy to help. Good helps good of course! But only if Dynaheir does not need Minsc and Boo elsewhere. We must still follow the path the our witch needs us on, and friends always return to one another in the end."

Spoiler: Grepha (Still the previous day)
    Show

The Kobold looks incredibly amused by Grepha being able to speak and does what can only be called a little dance of excitement. "Buurd spake buurd spake!" It says in a singsong voice. The question makes the runty creature think deeply, not wanting to disappoint its new feathered 'friend'. "Maynee hums go eento lair. Migs no see shineenick but saw paintface. Went into lair," It points its talon at the mine entrance, "no come out. Like Dir, and Ruks, and Davlu, and Gakbo, and Oklu, and Gulla, and Zalga, and Snegnu, and Zin, and Ruppe, and Zalga, and Voldi, and Snuvlo, and Other Migs, and Davlu, and Zin, and Hud, and Med, and Mod, and Snug, and Obli, and Oblo, and Ikbo, and Agla..." The kobold lists off name after name after name and seems to have an endless supply of them (you're not clear if the repetitions are Migs losing his place or if they had the same name) unless interrupted.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #854

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Show
    The creature is eager to help, at the very least. Before it can list the name of every kobold ever to die - surely a feat that would be testament to its impressive memory, for its kind - she speaks up to interrupt. "Yes, yes. Many go into lair and die. Why is it called lair? Something has made it a lair?" she inquires, looking towards the entrances to the mine tunnels and all the guards and security.

Evidently, the kobolds have attempted or been sent into the mine before, as have some people. Surely a couple of shop owners would have no cause to delve down, so they must be among the support staff somewhere. She may have better luck asking one of the humans, if she can get them to talk as openly as this-

Now there's an idea.

"Now Migs, I have an important task for you," Grepha says slyly, leaning in conspiratorially with the kobold. "Do you think you can remember a very important question and ask it to some of the humans?"

"I need you to ask some of the humes if any of the shopkeepers from Nashkel arrived here at the mines. Can you do that, and tell me what you learn?"

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian takes a moment to consider Minsc's response, as she had just thought he was dense and not completely disinterested, and finally says, "The reason is that you are a handsome fellow with nice big muscles. And my sisters and I are all young women, who aside from myself, are just starting to sort through their feelings about romance and the things that go along with that. The first time we met, you were shirtless and gave us all nice big hugs. Which was certainly very friendly of you, but may have given us all some ideas... mostly about that other thing more than romance I'd say. And yes," Vyvian chuckles a bit, "I'm more direct. Because I knew what I wanted and you seem the kind of man it's better to just be direct with. I'm not offended you're not interested though. I hope we haven't made you too uncomfortable. I'll warn the other girls off tomorrow. Goodnight Minsc." Vyvian says and gives him a pat on the shoulder as she leaves to go to sleep.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-07-08 at 12:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Minsc gently pats Vyvian's hand in reassurance as she goes, gently calling after her "Do not worry, Minsc will always be fine, and tomorrow is a new day!" He's trying to alleviate the tension caused, in his own way. He gives Boo another little scritch as he watches Vyvian retreat, then clutches the hamster to his cheek where it chitters happily.

Despite hopes for the Fourth Bell this evening, Senna feels it slip out of her grasp. A sudden rebellious phase on its part perhaps? Regardless it doesn't seem to have yet acknowledged her. Melian's progression with Gorion's book continues likewise, though it might be easy to believe otherwise since each step is so slow.

The next day is greeted with clear skies. A common occurrence for the climate and season. After feasting on the fish that Caelyn caught the night before (a filling breakfast, though not one Boo could partake in - he settles for some more wild vegetables and greens that Minsc found near camp) the party heads off. In the early hours of your journey it becomes clear that Minsc has started recognising familiar landmarks from before indicating you're close, and sure enough you round an outcropping of trees to see an overturned wagon in the distance. You've returned to a road, thankfully for your poor boots, though it's deserted of people.

There's a scent of decay on the air, light for now though given the direction of the wind it will only grow as you approach. Minsc had said some of their number were cut down by the gnolls, and it seems they left the bodies behind. A number of wild dogs - seven that you can see - appear to be feasting on the bodies. A number of strange and colourful liquids surround the wagon, likely the results of smashed potions or other alchemical concoctions that spilled out when it was overturned. Some of them make the air shimmer slightly, as if extremely hot, but the shimmer has odd blue or purple tints to it. You think you can spy what looks to be an open chest of coin too. Evidently the gnolls left that too, perhaps seeing no value in such things. There's at least two broken potted plants too, and a variety of other packages that you can't identify by sight. The dogs appear mangy from a distance, with matted and unkempt fur, and with the uneven physique of animals forced into the wild on a non-steady diet. Equal parts pure muscle and malnourished.

Minsc draws his sword with a determined look on his face. "They should be buried not eaten!" He says with indignation.

Spoiler: Grepha (Still the previous day(s))
    Show

"It Glintrunner tribe lair." The kobold seems to stand up straight for a moment and puff out its chest. It pats a tiny fist against its breast. "We Glintrunners. It our lair. Beeforre humss come. Beeforre roo-een."

Migs listens intently to Grepha's request, though she has to repeat it twice more for the kobold to actually understand and grasp it in its memory. It plods off with an awkward gait that has little grace, but perhaps it's a symptom of the squallor they're currently residing in not allowing for proper rest. Grepha can watch Migs approach a number of humans - miners, foremen and kobolds and receive a mixed reaction. They their presence is tolerated, it seems the humans would rather they be silent than heard. Still, a few converse with it for a bit as best they can, and after maybe ten minutes it plods back over to its new best friend. Grepha, of course.

"Shopshops coom to lair, go in and no come out. Beeforre paintface."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #857

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Looking out upon the wreckage of the caravan, Sam makes note of the potions. "I'd be careful. No telling what those would do all mixed together, and the wild dogs may have inhaled or licked up some of it already." Between the beasts' starved physique and Minsc's upset at their feasting on his fallen comrades, Sam recognizes there's no chasing them away without a fight.

Not wanting to waste his more powerful magic before they reach the gnolls' keep, Sam raises an arm and manifests a spear of green eldritch energy, taking aim and preparing for the others. "If you run in Minsc, they'll surround you. We should draw them to us, use the distance while we have it."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Assuming initiative doesn't start the moment the dogs notice us, Sam will ready an Eldritch Blast to open up with against the furthest dog to keep it out of the fight longer. I'll roll Initiative as well here, just because it's inevitable.

Init:(1d20+1)[20] (his Alert Feat is flavored as being from Grepha paying more attention than him, so he won't get its bonus here)

Blast: (1d20+5)[20] to hit, (1d10)[1] force damage, target is knocked 10 feet back

Show
    At the news that the idiot shopkeeps had gone into the mines, Grepha groans and rolls her eyes. "What were they thinking? Bah!" Regaining her composure, she straightens out her feathers and croons to Migs in a sympathetic voice, "But what poor things you are, chased out of your lair. What is it that chased you out? And what chased out the humes?"

It's looking more and more like she'll need to actually go into the mines for this little errand. She'd intended to scout it out regardless, but the inconvenience is still irritating.

18. - Top - End - #858

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

- Previous Night -
    Melian continues her magical prodding of her father's spellbook and allows herself some satisfaction at her progress, slow as it may be. Once done, she carefully stows the book in her pack and settles in for her trance, readying herself for a new day.

- That day -
    Melian marches silently alongside her siblings and Minsc (and Boo). The large man's ease in navigating natural settings reminding her altogether too much of Aintas, Melian's mood tends to melancholy.

Spotting the wild dogs and fallen caravan, Melian shakes her head to dispel her mood, and unlimbers her longbow, nocking an arrow with practiced ease. "Sam is right on both counts - the potions could be volatile and we may be better off either drawing the dogs to us, or maybe Minsc and Caelyn may be able to drive them off?"

Show
    Fëanáro scouts the area around, trying to see if there are more dogs or creatures nearby.

Arcana: (1d20+6)[22] Trying to ID the potions or apparent/likely danger at range. Coupling with Detect Magic if there's enough time/range for it.

Will it blow up if hit by a fire effect like in a video game? If I hit it with a ray of frost will the dogs get frozen in place? So many options and possibilities!

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Minsc considers the proposal by Sam and Melian for a moment deeply. "We would prefer to charge in...but you may be right." Fëanáro's overhead flight garners some attention from the dogs, who look up at the passing pseudo dragon and growl angrily. It's fortunate the scout was sent, as on the other side of the wagon, out of line of sight from the party are four enormous, glowing spiders who seem to be feasting on the potion remnants, sucking up the arcane liquids into their body. Whether they were already large to begin with or if they grew solely from suckling on the remnants of the caravan isn't clear, but they've certainly taken some of the magic into themselves.

Sam's beam streaking through the air and hitting the furthest beast signals the beginning of the fight, followed quickly by Minsc yelling "Come and get me dogs, Minsc and Boo are right here!" Thankfully the party was prepared for this, while the animals were not, and they're a bit slow off the mark.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Per my initiative rolls, everyone in the party gets a turn before the enemies do.

Spoiler: Melian Arcana
    Show

Blue circles are *probably* healing potions.

Green circles are *probably* some sort of poison.

Purple circles you're not sure about - it's likely going to do something to spellcasters, but if it's good or bad isn't clear. Maybe both.

Red circles looks to be the remnants of a fire breath potion, and could be detonated given the right incentive.

Spoiler: Grepha (Two days behind)
    Show

"Glintrunners fight hums forr big tiime, it Glintrunner lair not hums. Hums want steal glints. Then Glintrunners get seeck, go looploop. Then hums get seeck, go looploop." Migs does a pantomime of what might be someone who is rabid - hopping around like a mad animal, biting and scratching at air. "Looploops starting eating no-looploops, so Glintrunners and hums bee-com bigtribe, fight looploops." The kobold points at the entrance again. "But looploops take non-looploops eentow dark, too many looploops, so bigtribe stay for now, wait for more bigtribe to fight bigscary."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Concentration: Bless (Minsc, Vyvian, Melian)

Senna sees the dogs and just knows her draconian brother is about to do something foolish. Holding up her sacred dagger, she incants. Deneir, give these allies the ability to protect these bodies, so that we can lay them to rest. A glowing glyph swirls above Minsc, Vyvian and Melian, granting them a combat boon.

She then advances, her short blade and shield in hand.

Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    Behold my paint skills! Also casting Bless.

21. - Top - End - #861

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Gathering another bolt in his hand, Sam releases it at the same target. "Careful Senna, don't get surrounded!"

Show
    Sam casts Eldritch Blast on the same dog he hit before, to knock it away further.

Blast: (1d20+5)[14] + Bless (1d4)[1] to hit, (1d10)[10] force damage, target is knocked 10 feet back

Show
    Listening curiously, Grepha looks at the mines again. "Looploop, hm." It sounded like some kind of poison or magic had caused them to go mad. The strange part, however, is that the 'looploops' are apparently working together. Could they have been turned into Ghouls serving some necromancer?

"You've been very helpful, Migs. Don't you worry your little head, I'm going to find out what caused them to go looploop. You just wait up here." As much as the kobolds would make for good cannon fodder, she is no choice for a direct fight. And they will impair any attempt to sneak through the mines.

Fading into invisibility, Grepha shifts into her imp form and slinks over to the mine entrance to slip inside.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

No! They're just starving animals! You can't blame them for taking a meal where they find it! Caelyn stomps her foot and looks around in desperation, but battle has already been joined. Even her spell of Animal Friendship won't work now. Clenching her eyes shut, she raises her bow with her focus knocked to the string, and takes aim at the nearest dog. I'm sorry... When her eyes open up again, flittering flames are raining down from the corners of her eyes as she taps into the wildfire inside her. The flames hide the bitter tears as she releases a flaming bolt at a dog with sorrow in her heart.

Show
    OOC I'm fine with this, but Caelee will be upset. Casting Fire Bolt. To hit- (1d20+6)[11] and damage (1d10)[7]. Holding movement to run away if she gets the dog's attention. EDIT- I'm kind of glad she missed. Caelee's heart wouldn't be in this attack.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-07-09 at 06:54 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #863

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Warned by Fëanáro, Melian speaks up as she lets an arrow loose. "Careful everyone! There are giant spiders further south!"

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    • Action: Longbow vs same dog Sam attacked.
    - Attack: (1d20+5)[25] + (1d4)[3]
    - Damage: (1d8+3)[9]
    - If Crit: (1d8)[2]
    Melian's first combat crit!

Last edited by cigaw; 2020-07-10 at 12:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

"No! What are you doing!? Stop it!" Vyvian shouts at the others as she watches them just decide to kill a bunch of dogs, for being dogs, when the dogs have done nothing to harm them. Then then rushes forwards and tries to get between the others and line of fire of the dogs. As she gets close she shouts to the dogs, "Run away from these vicious maniacs! This meal isn't worth it!" clearly very upset at this latest in a string of unprovoked and undiscussed hostile behavior on the part of her siblings.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving forwards to the west of Senna and Dodging.

If possible, Animal Handling to get the dogs to run away: (1d20+1)[5]

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Sam's beam strikes the same dog again, with a follow up from Melian skewering two of its legs together with a single arrow. It collapses to the ground unable to run, but still snarling and barking loudly. Caelyn's firebolt goes wide, flying off into the distance and eventually puttering out of magic and dissipating into air. It may not have struck any, but it certainly garnered attention and when Senna moves forward Minsc takes that as a cue to charge in also. "Jump on my sword while you can, I won't be as gentle!" He yells, bracing his blade for the enemy assault. He's clearly been affected by watching his friends being eaten in front of him, the normally genial expression contorted into anger.

The dogs and skittering spiders respond to the intrusion as perhaps expected, charging at the party. Four surround Minsc, all trying to find a gap in his defenses but his blade deflected most of them with ease. One of the spider's sharp legs manage to find a gap though and strike him, though he barely seems to notice.

Three of the dogs curve round the side and head for the the source of the firebolt and beams while one goes for Senna, though she manages to deflect its bite with her shield and it bounces off with a violent snarl and snaps of its jaws. Now that they're closer you can see an odd metallic tint to their skin and eyes. There's flecks of what looks to be iron in spit that drips wildly from their mouth. Areas of what should be fair peach beneath patchy fur are instead silvered, and there's a clear madness in their eyes.

If the spiders felt anything while moving into and out of the alchemical clouds, they don't seem to indicate it.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Minsc takes 5 spider damage.

Spoiler: Grepha (2 days ago)
    Show

The entrance to the mine is dark. The soldiers, tired and barely standing, don't give the odd breeze or quiet flapping that passes them by a second thought, if they even notice it at all. Torches inside the mine are all extinguished, it's a sea of black. The path splits off in two directions - the left seems to follow the minecart tracks, while the right a footpath that leads to (from your current position) a wood-and-rope bridge that hangs over a large hole. There's no sound from inside you realise. It's deathly silent. The air is rank with blood and decay, and something else that it unpleasant but you can't put your finger (or talon) on exactly what it is. With little in the way of ventilation the stench sits and ferments, and perhaps you wish for a moment that your senses aren't quite as attuned as they are.

There's blood trails leading in both directions, and picking either one leads you to roughly the same spot thanks to your wings - a wide main chamber in which the cart tracks circle the outer edge and descend further into darkness. So far down that even your infernal vision cannot see the bottom. There's multiple offshoot rooms or paths on the far side from you though no indication if they lead anywhere important, in a circle, or just a short dead end. The rope bridge leads to and creates a pathway that crosses across the central hole from one edge to the other. The hole itself stretches roughly 60' in diameter. It's an enormous mineshaft.

To your right, descending cart tracks and a set of stairs. The silence continues. If there's any 'looploops' here, they don't seem to be moving currently. At least, not close by.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-07-10 at 03:12 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #866

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"What are you all doing?" Sam shouts after them as they run in. "It's a pack of rabid dogs! You're going to get yourself killed!"

Unable to get up near them in time, Sam moves next to Melian and takes a deep breath, then emits a thundering boom from deep in his belly, the sound rippling the air and threatening to send the pack of dogs charging up to them flying.

Panting after shoving them back with his yell he tells Melian, "Hit them with everything you've got while they're clustered. We lost our advantage now!"

Show
    Sam moves 1 SW, 1 S and casts Thunderwave on the area S of him. 15 foot cube on the edge of his square, so it hits all the dogs.
    Using a 2nd level Warlock slot for the spell.

Saves: On a failed save, pushed 10 feet away. On a successful DC 13 Con save, takes half damage.
    NE Dog: (1d20)[8]
    SE Dog: (1d20)[7]
    SW Dog: (1d20)[9]
    Thunder damage: (3d8)[9]

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-07-10 at 11:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    Conditions: Bless

At seeing the dogs are clearly diseased she feels a bit bad about chastising her siblings and rather more regretful about getting so close. She suddenly feels less bad about the chastising when Sam, who created this whole mess by attacking without warning before they could discuss a plan, began chastising them.... for acting without a plan. Thankfully she didn't need to worry about any of that as giant glowing spiders approached her for what she could assume was a desire to be stabbed and slashed by someone who really doesn't want a giant spider in their face.

Spoiler
    Show

Focusing on the spider directly in front of her first.

Attack: (1d20+6)[13] + (1d4)[1]
    damage: (1d6+4)[10]
    if crit: (1d6)[5]

Off-hand: (1d20+6)[8] + (1d4)[4]
    damage: (1d6)[4]
    if crit: (1d6)[2]

Sneak Attack: (2d6)[7]
    if crit: (2d6)[7]

Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-07-10 at 12:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Concentration: Bless (Minsc, Vyvian, Melian)

Senna's holy symbol glows in an eerie light. Go south to flank us, Vyv. I have an idea. Just don't get bit. Senna says between blade slashes.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[5]
    (1d4+2)[3]

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on: Entangle

As the dogs approach and Caelyn gets a better look at them, her sorrow begins to evaporate. By the time they are surrounding her sisters, it is entirely gone. She looks at Minsc, then Vyv and Senna, then Melian, and that is where she sees her opportunity. Drawing back her bow, she sights down the arrow and releases a wave of magic with a few utterances in Druidic. Suddenly roots burst from the ground in front of Melian, reaching up to snag and snare the dogs threatening her.

Show
    Casting Entangle on the three dogs in front of Melian. Rolling 3 strength saves against a DC 14- (1d20)[16], (1d20)[8], (1d20)[12]. Saving my movement to run away from dogs if they approach.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #870

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (17) HP: 28/28
    Conditions: Bless, Bladesong

Melian's eyes widen as the pack of rabid dogs approaches, only to be held at bay by Sam's magic. Taking the chance, she drops her bow, draws her shortsword and begins the bladesong once again. In a lilting voice, she answers Sam. "Don't have to tell me twice, brother." Pointing at the pack, she utters a high-pitched, discordant note and a sound like a thunderclap roars amidst the dogs.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    • Bonus: Bladesong (1min, +INT AC, +10' move, ADV DEX (Acro), +INT CON Saves and Concentration.)
    • Action: Shatter vs pack Sam attacked
    - Damage: (3d8)[14] Thunder (half on CON save)
    - Dogs' CON Saves: (1d20)[20] | (1d20)[13] | (1d20)[4]
    • Move: holding her ground, draws shortsword