New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (16) HP: 24/28
    PP: 13 PIv: 16 PIs: 11
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8h)
    Concentrating: --

Melian regards the half-starved cleric as he speaks between mouthfuls. "Cursed? Interesting notion; there's the possibility some infernal energy may have leeched through during the ritual, but it is usually something that can be cleansed - especially if the summoned creature has been defeated. The grounds can be purified and hallowed, and I can included this recommendation in my letters." She pauses a moment for effect. "Or, perhaps after a rest, a pair of locally-available clerics would be willing to conduct the investigation and purification themselves."

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 32/32 | AC: 13 HP: 0/10
    PP: 9|14 PIv: 14|10 PIs: 10|13
    Conditions: --- | --

With some shoots of cinnamon and some birch wood, courtesy of Caelyn reminding him what a birch is, Sam strolls back into camp with the others. A shame they have no pastry oven, or they could do something with the leftover cinnamon. "Guess I could just save the extra for next time," he says over his shoulder.

"You have such confidence in me," Grepha dryly comments.

Coming back to the others, Sam brings the ingredients over to Isla, though he seems less thrilled with the dead animal parts than the cinnamon. "This is why I never think about the ingredients in things," he says with a small laugh. Though he's seen so much blood and gore recently, he has to remind himself to be repulsed by it sometimes.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Elgar looks a bit sheepish at Melian's suggestion that he could help cleanse the keep but still pipes up with, perhaps ill-placed, assurances that he will do what he can. Meanwhile, Isla sets to work immediately on the return of the foraging group, perhaps finding solace in having her mind distracted by work. It's sufficient for your purposes, and a recovered brazier that she and Senna picked up while Caelyn, Minsc and Sam were away from the keep will suit their purposes fine. It will, however, take at least one night for the materials to 'set', so the summoning will have to wait while morning.

Even after eating Senna's food the three hostages are more than capable of chowing down on the returning bounty that the hunters brought, and despite the events of the day it turns into a somewhat lighthearted feast and though the fortifications are damaged it's still a safer rest location than you've had the previous nights, though you did have to grab some extra grass for the horse before settling in. For better or worse, the ogres did not return, nor did any xvarts come looking in the night.

The morning greets you with clear skies and pleasant warmth, though it also promises at least two nights on the road back to Nashkel. At the very least, Sam's incense is now ready to resummon Grepha."It's not neat, but it'll get the job done." Isla was heard to remark.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

We have now reached Day 10 since leaving Candlekeep. Congratulations, it's been one *hell* of a week-and-a-half! Gonna leave a spot for some morning roleplay before I shift along.

Spoiler: Melian
    Show

You awaken to a metallic taste in the mouth, as if a blade were pressed against your tongue. Trying to wash it out with drink or food proves fruitless and temporary at best. In addition - though covered by clothes - you can feel a few spots of metallic skin patches on your body.

You gain +1 AC.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-08-07 at 10:40 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #1024

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    AC: 12 HP: 32/32 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10

A blanket on stonework is not the most comfortable place to sleep. But Sam's tough scales are less sensitive than the soft skin of his companions, and he sleeps soundly all the same. Come morning he stretches, and goes to check on the campground incense. "Awesome," he says, getting the brazier ready. Though he realizes that summoning an imp in front of all these strangers might not be the best idea. Laughing a little he picks up the supplies and comments, "I'm going to take these inside. I uh, don't like being watched."

Slipping away into one of the more intact rooms of the keep, he begins the summoning process. It takes about an hour, probably long enough for the late risers to stir and breakfast to be prepared. Sam emerges from the keep with a raven on his shoulder once more. "Guess who's baack?" he asks, cheerfully.

5. - Top - End - #1025

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (14) HP: 28/28
    Conditions: --

As the groups break into individual camps, Melian makes sure she has a position early on the watch cycle. As her turn is done, she spends some time reviewing Boreathar's tome, trying to order some ideas in her head about helping the crippled witch. Finally, thoroughly exhausted, she settles in for her trance and allows her mind to relax.

The morning sun brings her out of reverie and the wizard instinctively takes furrows her brow at the metallic taste in her mouth. It was reminiscent of blood, almost coppery, but she decides ultimately it's more than that. Maybe iron?

Melian reaches for her waterskin and takes a deep pull, sloshing the water in her mouth trying to rid herself of the taste, but to no avail. Feeling a slight twitch in her arm, she lifts her sleeve to scratch at it and the roughness surprises her. Looking down she sees why. Concerned, she busies herself with organizing her belongings and waiting for her sisters to wake up. Giving them a moment to ready themselves, Melian calls Caelyn and Senna aside, taking them behind half-fallen walls, safe from prying eyes. "Sisters, I need help. I don't completely understand how to deal with this. You may remember the rabid wild dogs we came across by the overturned caravan and, well," she pauses and lifts her sleeve, revealing a patchwork of tiny iridescent, clearly metallic, scales. "Seems like one of them got me. She laughs half-heartedly, trying to make light of the situation despite her obvious concerns.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 32/32
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

Vyvian wakes to Sam talking. The first thing she notices is that she's staring directly at the sun and she groans and rolls over. At which point she notices that someone at some point put a blanket over her and that she's sore basically everywhere. She gives a long groan/yawn and then untangles herself from the blanket. She takes a moment to stretch (and groan a bit more) and do various morning activities.

Once she's cleaned up a bit and properly awake she recalls someone mentioned going hunting for food before she fell asleep. So she goes about looking what resulted from that. By way of walking up to Sam and declaring, "Sam. Food."

7. - Top - End - #1027

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam smiles and pats Vyvian on the shoulder. "No, silly, the food's not back. It's Grepha."

"What a warm welcome," the bird on his shoulder says dryly.

In spite of his words, Sam leads Vyvian over to the campfire, where it's more of the birds that Caelyn and Minsc brought back. He takes a seat and looks around, noticing the rest of his sisters have shuffled themselves off to the side somewhere. If no one else is cooking already, he skewers some meat on a stick and tries his best to heat it over the fire.

"I have some intelligence on the mines, once the others return," Grepha says. "I would rather not repeat myself five times."

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 27/27
    PP: 16 PIv: 12 PIs: 16
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Senna had a glorious morning, even though she too is a bit frustrated at the loss of Dynaheir's hands. Oh the magic she could have showed them. She felt a bit bad for the selfish reasons that made her sad. Dynaheir was a font of wisdom though, and she really really liked Minsc to stick around for a bit. Also Dynaheir refusing the High Artificer's help was odd, but to be expected. Senna only read about wild magic surges, and the wild and often dangerous things they could do. But she was very glad with her safe divine miracles, and always kind of admired the mages of old that were so prolific in such a fickle art.

After the morning prayer, she returned to the camp to find an agitated Melian looking for Caelyn. Listening to the mage's plight, she takes her away and let's her dress down, to get a more immediate view on the matter. Scratching her chin, she says: Possible. You got bitten, but the Iron Rot we saw on the dogs reacted differently on their skin. Less scales, more solid patches of iron. Do you experience stiffness in your joints? Loss of self-control? Hm, let me tell you what. If you feel uncomfortable, I can cast a restoring spell on you right away, but I would like to wait and watch how it develops. The magic would alleviate and and all disease-linked symptoms instantly. But I do not know if we need the magic to prevent a more immediate danger. If things continue this way, we will have to close an elemental portal to the plane of earth in the Nashkel Mines, or defeat a demon invasion on the way.

Just before Melian dresses up again, Senna notices a spot on her back where the skin flakes and reveals an iron patch. Yea, no Melian, you are afflicted. Want me to cure you right away?
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-08-09 at 10:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

With the dawn now come the four of the caravan group slowly make their way to the 'central' fire that that has become the de facto group spot while you're here, though likely not for much longer. Minsc is in good spirits, as yesterday. He happily assists in the preparation of leftovers before the planned move back to town, "Fill your stomach to fill your heart!" he says at one point, making sure to give Boo his own portion. Elgar is chatting near endlessly to a very patient and yet increasingly tuned-out Isla. The topics hop back and forth with surprising speed and at one point she looks in dire need of a rescue, though she does at least get a small respite when Elgar chows down on breakfast. Neither of the two seem particularly taken aback by the talking bird. Elgar, presumably, has seen them before at a church and Isla will have likely had her fair share of arcanist customers with their own familiars cross her path. Still, she gives the devilbird a gentle nod of greeting. A polite gesture that you could see as nothing more than satisfying social obligation.

Dynaheir, for her part, is staring directly at Grepha. You're sure that she's not looking at Sam, but instead the bird perched on his shoulder. She says nothing though, keeping her own counsel for the moment. Perhaps she doesn't want to rock the figurative boat, yet, or perhaps she's still evaluating. Still, a slight chill enters her gaze though she tries to hide it and look away if she garners any attention.

The caravan group seem eager to set off - no doubt to be away from the castle of horrors - but they're not in a position to push the party along and patiently wait for the impromptu meeting and medical inspection to conclude.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 32/32
    PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn looks on in horror as Melian reveals her metallic patched skin. She turns to Senna, letting out a gasp of relief as her little sister already has a plan on how to handle it. I've never cast the spell, but I think I have the power to destroy disease, too. I'd be more confident having Senna do it, though. Her grasp on healing magic is tighter than mine. If for some reason it doesn't work, I can spend our travelling time looking for herbs that may alleviate the symptoms, at the very least.
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #1031

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (14) HP: 28/28

Melian allows herself to be led by Senna and vehemently refuses to undress for further inspection. "There is nothing other than patches similar to what I've shown you. I will not undress here."

The mage's face begins to contort in disbelief when her sister suggests they wait it out to see what it does. She's about to lose her temper when Caelyn weighs in and Senna changes her suggestion. Melian swallows her feelings and says politely "If you have the means to nip this now, I would appreciate it, sisters. Thank you."

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Don't underestimate your abilities, Caelyn. Divine magic is sometimes just the same, no matter if it is derived from nature or faith. But my spells are far more focussed on people, while yours can alter nature too. A well-placed thunder can disrupt enemies, enchanted roots can prevent us from ever getting injured. So I agree this time that expending Deneir's grace is preferrable in this case. After the short theological strategising, Senna turns to Melian.

I never knew you were so shy, Melian. Normally I would demand to inspect my patients fully before applying a solution but I believe I have seen enough to judge it then and there. Just don't be alarmed by future inspections and removal of clothes. A stab wound heals remarkably better when there isn't dirty parts of cloth stuck to it. Senna ends her elaborate but mostly unnecessary chiding, and starts to chant.

A cleansing light emanates from her extended palm, removing the iron patches from her body. You can hear a low humming but notice Senna is not chanting anymore. It is the power of the spell. Senna locks eyes with Melian and nods to show, that she is closing in now. If the mage had a problem with physicality, it was easier to assure her. She would know many spells require physical touch. As the cleric touches skin, the magic surges over. A refreshing, but almost icy cold chill washes over the mage.

There, all done now. Still, abs of steel would have been cool, wouldn't they? she says in a joking manner, probably meeting a disapproving look. S....sorry.

13. - Top - End - #1033

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (14?) HP: 28/28
    Conditions: Dermatology Iron Crisis?

Melian sighs, not knowing if Senna is being obstinate or is she just doesn't understand why somebody would not wish to undress in a ruined keep near a gaggle of strangers. Despite seething at the dirty cloth comment - ever since Melian learned the Prestidigitation cantrip she and her belongings have always been spotless - she falls silent, knowing better than to interfere with spellcasting.

As the spell washes over her, Melian shivers slightly but then the iron taste fades from her mouth, the scales receding. "Thank you, Senna," she says earnestly. "I don't need a horrible iron-based disease for that," she says, lightly punching her own stomach and winking in response to Senna's jest.

14. - Top - End - #1034

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Finally. What were you doing?" Grepha asks as the sisters shuffle back in - only to reveal her question was rhetorical as she continues before an answer can be given. "Nevermind. Listen up, I've learned some things at the Nashkel mines."

The black bird hops from Sam's shoulders up to one of the stone walls, seeming to enjoy being up higher looking down on everyone as she gives her report. "The Flaming Fist is present containing the threat at the mines, alongside local guards and militia, and a kobold tribe they're using as fodder - apparently they'd been living in the mines or some nonsense, I couldn't understand half of what the twit was babbling. There was conflict, but dire matters seem to have compelled grudging cooperation." Grepha paces back and forth in an avian strut across the wall as she delivers the information. "Point is, people and kobolds in the mines would gradually go mad. I believe what I witnessed inside was the late stages of the affliction - some sort of undead zombie or ghoul."

"Some kobolds looked like the affliction may affect them differently - or they were just further along, due to being there first. Their torsos were these bubbles filled with noxious fumes. Pop easily, but I don't recommend being nearby when they do." Grepha stops her pacing and ruffles her wings. "And that is all I discovered before I was eaten by a disgusting walking corpse, aside the fact that your acquaintances from the road - the 'clown' and 'murder dwarf' as Caelyn calls them - entered the mines a week ago, now. They are probably dead already. Good riddance I say."

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

This is dire news. Thank you for your courageous sacrifice in there, Grepha. You truly are an exceptionally good natured being. Senna enjoyed harking on the small imp a bit, but news of suffering and death dragged her mood down in an instant. Alchemy is different from magic, but are you positive the undeath is initiated by a madness or disease, not necromancy? I would not underestimate those two, neither the creepy halfling nor the mad wizard.

If half of what you think is true, we should hurry. Each day passing means more people suffering. Which brings me to my next few questions: Isla; Elgar; Minsc; Dynaheir. We will be departing for Nashkel Mines. Do you want to accompany us? Seeing the threat at hand, we could use an alchemist, a priest and a strong warrior. And a witch would even be hand.....y...
    Senna blushes and looks down in silence. I mena, uhm, ehrr...can you help? Her head is a deep red.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Dynaheir's eyes snap from Grepha with rigid, almost mechanical movements. It holds for an unsettling half-breath before her expression softens into a wry smile. "It's fine, you don't need to apologise." She's sat with her wrists gently laid in her lap. "I'm of course grateful for the help but I don't believe I would be much help in my current state, and gnolls were not the only enemies we have here." Minsc's expression darkens as she speaks, and he utters only a single word - "Thay." "I would not trust my life to the Nashkel guards, and so I am sorry, but we cannot accompany you to the mine." She is, you can tell, sincerely apologetic, but her tone also leaves no room for argument. Her decision, it seems, is final. The ranger looks a little split but ultimately nods in agreement. His first priority is Dynaheir, after all, especially in her current position.

The young alchemist waves her hand in what's clearly a denial. "Not that I'm not grateful but exploding gas kobold ghouls sounds like exactly the sort of thing I don't want to be dealing with. Nope, I'll get back to civilisation and then I'm going to go find my brother in the big city. I'll pay you back some other way that doesn't involve a mine full of the restless dead and who knows what else." Sam gets a cheeky wink for that, though it might have been directed at the bird-devil. Isla's doesn't feel the need to clarify.

Elgar, perhaps feeling the pressure of being the last one to answer, stumbles a bit. "Ah, well, yes, well, of course, I am, well, yes, I'm...hah...well, I think I can...you know I think I..." He stops and takes a deep breath. "Well, you see I'm quite good at talking but I'm, ah, well, not that skilled in a fight. Pen is mightier than the sword, and all that," he gives a forced laugh, "but I, uh, won't leave you empty-handed! Elgar the Fair (that's what they call me) always does right by his friends. I can perhaps help...ah, inspire some of the guards and soldiers, perhaps tend to some of the wounded." He wrings his hands nervously but ultimately nods to reassure himself that it's the right idea.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #1037

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Grepha answers Senna's teasing with an annoyed, "Do not condescend at me girl." The bird-devil catches Dynaheir still staring at her, and meets the witch's gaze for a time, until Senna breaks the witch's focus.

"The information I got was from a kobold, so I cannot vouch for its precise accuracy, but it said nothing about the dead returning or strange mages," she finally says, to Senna's further questions. "Simply that people started going 'loop-loop'. It could be a contagion, or it could be a curse placed on the mine itself. I don't know enough about these things to hazard more than a guess." She brushes an itch on her face with the crook of her wing.

Sam is leaning against the wall, and gives Grepha a thumbs up. "Thanks for scouting things out, Greph'. We're a lot safer knowing what we're up against. Why don't you grab some breakfast?" He picks a bit of game meat from last nights leftovers and holds it up. Grepha flies down to perch on his shoulder again and snaps it up without complaint.

"Much preferable to insects and carrion... thank you kindly, Samuel. That is how a sincere thanks is given, girl, take notes," the bird snaps in Senna's direction. She looks across the campfire at Isla, whose antics Sam seems rather oblivious to. "By big city, I assume you mean Baldur's Gate? Or be you Amnish?" Grepha asks.

Sam for his part answers Isla with a cheerful nod and tries to reassure the babbling cleric. "No worries, Eggy. Having an extra healer around saves lives, you know, not everybody can be crazy badasses like us." He reaches over and gives Vyvian a playful punch in the shoulder. "Climbing giant frickin' gnolls like some kinda lunatic."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-08-12 at 11:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Vyvian rolls her eyes in response to Sam's jab, as she doesn't really know how else to respond to that. He's certainly right it was a pretty crazy thing to do. So she changes the subject and asks, "Hey Grepha. Can't you be invisible? How'd you get squished?" there is a clear element of playful taunting in her tone.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh I'm from Neverwinter originally, far north. Not much left there now except for..." her eyes flicker in the direction of the sacrificial pit for just a moment before continuing, "not much at all, in fact. I've got a few friends and family around but closest is my brother in Athkatla. He'll be able to sort me out, he's a government mage so he'll be able to fast track any forms and hook me up with suppliers." She sounds rather eager, perhaps already seeing the storefront of the future in her mind's eye. A small red brick building with an open front, walls and boxes of twinkling glass bottles filled with all manner of concoction, a bubbling cauldron ready for the latest custom orders, no crazy gnolls kidnapping her off the road and trying to sacrifice her to summon their demon god, the scent of freshly ground herbs and mixed salves...
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna nods at Dynaheir. I figured as much, Dynaheir. I just wanted to make sure. Please stay safe, stay with the roads. She pulls the giant ranger to the side. Minsc, I know you are not much of a healer but I need you to remove, cook and reapply Dynaheir's bandages for at least the first fortnight. It is important you do this daily. Isla, can you create something against inflammation? Some ointment or something?

21. - Top - End - #1041

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 28/28

The wizard listens intently to Grepha's debriefing, thinking of the implications the information brings and how a simple expedition has seemingly grown into a much more dangerous affair. "Well, I think we should then proceed back to Nashkel where you can recover," she motions towards the recently-released prisoners. "And then onward to the mines and what they may hold in store for us."

As Melian begins her final preparations to strike camp, Fëanáro swoops down from skies and half-lands, half-climbs onto her shoulders. Tiny claws lift up her sleeve to reveal where the scales were moments before and the pseudodragon huffs in slight disappointment. "I know... But we have enough scales between you and Sam," she says scratching her familiar's chin.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

Isla looks at Senna with the most befuddled expression she can muster, for the second time in as many days gesturing to how she has nothing but the clothes on her back. Still, she doesn't want to seem ungrateful for the whole 'saving her life' thing. "I'll...do what I can, I guess?" she says, confusion clear in her tone.
    "Thank you Isla, you are most kind." Dynaheir says with a pointed, overly kind tone, defusing any further conversation before it starts, while also giving people a reasonable way to exit.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 32/32
    PP: 16 PIv: 10 PIs: 16
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn takes in the conversation quietly, keeping her thoughts to herself for now. Diseased kobolds? A cursed mine? She began to smile. From one adventure directly into another. Just as she preferred it. Looks like our next dance has been called. We can't keep our partners waiting. Hopefully they are more appropriately sized this time.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 28/28

- During the trip back, either on the cart or during a break -

Melian approaches Dynaheir and Minsc, carrying a large tome on her hands. She sits opposite them and rests the tome on her lap. "Dynaheir, I have an idea that I want to show you. Minsc, I imagine the details might not be familiar to you, but as this is your dajemma, I would also like your opinion."

The wizard opens the tome so that it faces them; tucked within the pages are neatly arranged sheets of parchment containing sketches and arcane formulas in neat, precise, Draconic script. The tome shows samples on harnessing energies and spirits from the elemental plane of Earth and binding it to raw matter.

She begins by pointing to one of her diagrams. "Taking inspiration from golem-building which, I must admit, is beyond my abilities right now, I considered how we can apply the basic principles to a much more limited - and thus manageable - scope. You see, part of what makes building a golem so complex is the combination of binding an elemental to a fixed form, giving it autonomy over the form it now inhabits, but restricting it to the creator's will. It is not only a fairly unstable system, but one that must be made permanent in quite a balancing act." As she explains it, her fingers dart from note to note and across diagrams. She is in full academic mode now.

"However, what if instead of binding a free elemental to a new form we only take inspiration from the ritual and bind a willing spirit to a familiar form, but made of a new, raw material?" She then unfolds a separate sheet of parchment containing an intricate sketch of a pair of hands and multiple currents of energy and magic flowing into and out of them. "What if we take raw earth and clay, mold it roughly into hands and then use Aramil's Weave Binding to temporarily bind your own connection to the Weave to the raw, elemental energies within? Then, using a slightly modified Multimodal Memory Form formula we allow your own memories of your hands to mold the raw form into well-defined, supple, familiar hands? And then," she continues obviously excited. "We combine Boreathar's Earth Conduit with your own magical abilities to complete the connection throughout the Weave and elemental plane so that you can actually use the hands and draw the Weave through them! Even if we can't make the enchantment permanent, with Temple's Time Deficit the enchantment persists if you cast it every day, which you will now be able to do being able to perform the somatic gestures, and, when you have the means to regenerate the hands, you simply forgo the ritual and the connection fades! That way we have a willing spirit - your own - filling a familiar form and not bound to another's will! While you rest and recuperate in town, I can collect the more elemental-charged rocks I can find during our foray into the Nashkel mines."

Her excitement abates slightly and she turns more serious. "I hope you forgive me if I have overstepped my bounds; I know you haven't asked for help in this but, if you have Thayans after you even here in the Sword Coast, then perhaps it is an option worth exploring. At least for now."

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Dynaheir's clearly taken back by Melian's onslaught of information. She understands it, it's not hard to see that much, but there's an air of skepticism that lingers behind her eyes. Not necessarily at the proposed magical sequence - but at Melian herself. She's impressed though, that much is clear to see. "I...will consider it. Thank you." You can't be 100% certain, but you get the sense she's convinced, but not quite ready to say 'yes' just yet. Minsc looks entirely lost, and simply nods along.

The journey back to Nashkel is thankfully uneventful with warm but not scorching weather. There's a brief stop at the now burned wreckage of the wagon, with Isla remarking that she really would be starting from scratch when she sees all of her materials are gone. She's not that broken up over it though, the death of her husband seemingly keeping her in good spirits. Elgar is, as expected, endlessly chatty. He and Minsc get on well with the same earnest, occasionally naive, positivity. Caelyn's providing of the majority of the food takes some of the stress off of Minsc having to hunt for the rest of the group, and none of you go hungry or thirsty on the trail. Caelyn even manages to scavenge together some mandrake root on one of her excursions, which Isla identifies as an uncommon (due to its rarity and cost more than habit) 'enhancer' for potions and poisons. It's unlikely to have a buyer in Nashkel though, since it's not got much use outside of alchemy and gourmet food.

You were gone for Nashkel for five and a half days in total, and the town on your return is just as dour and dying as it was when you left, almost as if it were frozen in time. Stagnating, but so slow it's difficult to see when watched directly. Arriving just after midday the weather fails to reflect the mood of the town, bright happy sunshine, cheery little wavy white clouds and gleaming azure skies beam down on the dying dustbowl that was a once prosperous mining town. Even from far off you can see the store and inn doors are still open, and a priest is gently brushing dust from one spot to another in front of the church.

The caravan party hover for a moment. Isla's eyes are peering south, but they're also darting between the boarded up buildings. Elgar is smiling aimlessly, just happy to be along. Despite the relatively relaxed and uneventful journey, the injuries are still taxing Dynaheir and she looks like she's ready for a rest, even though she's spent most of the journey riding on the wagon.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Yet more long rests, so make sure your spells are prepped and chosen, your health is topped off, your dice are warmed up.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #1046

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

~On the Road~

Along the way back, Grepha seems to have taken an interest in Isla, hanging around the alchemist on the road. As they come upon the upturned wagon, the disguised imp looks over the wreckage. "It is rather a mess, isn't it?" she asks, sympathetically, perching on the vehicle's husk nearby. "The roads are a deathtrap these days. You would do well to travel in groups on your way to the City of Coin."

"By the way, I overheard you talking with Samuel earlier... I am his 'imaginary friend' after all," quoth the raven sarcastically. "This whole thing seems to have come up roses for you. Arranged marriage? Fading glory?"

Sam, on the other hand, chats a bit with Vyvian along the way. "I've never seen a kobold before, but I hear they're like little dragons," he says. Even if they are small and most people seem to see them as pests, meeting something almost kind of like him sounds interesting. "Have you ever seen them, before you came to the keep?" While he walks, he fiddles a bit with his crossbow, looking it over and realizing how little he actually uses the thing. What with his magical laser beams and all.

The mystical trading card has since found its way up his sleeve. Did he put it there?

~At Nashkel~

"Welcome to scenic Nashkel, cheapest real estate on the market," Sam cracks wise at Isla as she eyes the boarded up and abandoned buildings. Feeling a little bad for poking fun at the state of the town, he forces down his joking smirk and asks, "How far does this Iron Crisis thing go? Is it all the way up in ah, what'd you say, Never Winter?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-08-14 at 07:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue

Somewhere around to half an hour to an hour after Caelyn's comment Vyvian suddenly says, "Yeah, I don't think I want to dance with those things. Do you think you could help me make some more bolts or arrows? Sam was let me take his crossbow."

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

On the road

"I guessed that much, but it's nice of you to introduce yourself." She reaches out without any sort of compunction and lightly pats the bird on its head amiably. "It might've been easier if it had been arranged. At least then I'd have an excuse, someone to blame other than myself. Parents or society." Isla can't help but give a grand shrug and a sigh as she pokes at the charred remains of the burned wagon. "No, it was just eleven years spent dragging out the biggest mistake of my life." It's rude to ask someone their age but from her appearance, it's unlikely she's older than 30 at most, likely younger still. She must have married early.

Nashkel

"Dunno, I've not been that far north in years. Word on the road is that it's focused here, but what happens here has ripples up and down the Coast, so how it all shakes out will still hit Neverwinter. As long as all the lords and ladies can keep their swords in their pants long enough for me to get to Athkatla, doesn't much matter to me either way."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

-on the road-
    Senna also listens in on the whole issue with Isla, not souring her mood towards men but making her curious enough. So far her male encounters were mostly that of stoic and then dramatic Aintas, the ditzy Garrick, and the simple, but lovable Minsc. Yeah, and Elgar was there too. She could never imagine a marriage being something so negative. Senna never officiated weddings, being only a lowly acolyte back in Candlekeep, but she read of some catastrophically bad marriages in history books - for some reason the good ones never show up in there.

Isla, we women do not need a man to get along in this world, but a nice partner improves things I assume. sounding unconvinced of her own sermon. She walked behind Minsc who never swayed from Dynaheir's side during travels, leading them back to town. She could not deny it, she was envious of them. A strong, seemingly immovable protector. That was, was Senna was missing. Now that Aintas left, more than anything. She felt vulnerable. Vile things happened to her friends and her, and there was no 'safety net' between them and danger anymore. Melian did her very best to protect her, but Senna knew best that her skill, her magic was the only thing between them and death.

-back in town-
    Well, we should look for the mines now. Now, we should probably meet the shopkeep and purchase a few potions. I do not know how deep the tunnels are, and we are doomed if we run out of magic half-way through. Well, not doomed but you get the jist, guys. Vyvian is the only one that gets by without magic.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-08-16 at 05:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1050

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

~On the Road~

"Sounds agonizing," as Isla pats her on the head, Grepha seems to accept it, or at least restrain the desire to complain. "Childhood sweetheart, flame burned out?" The bird hops up to Isla's shoulder, tagging along. She flicks her gaze over to Senna and then comments in a stage whisper to Isla, "Do not mind the girl. She assumes a great many things, as the inexperienced do."

~At Nashkel~

Sam nods, "Senna's right. We should stock up and head there right away, things probably only got worse since Greph was there." He begins making his way towards the general store.

Still riding along with Isla, Grepha watches after him and sighs internally. "I suppose I have business to attend to. May you do well in Athkatla, Isla." With that, the bird takes off to follow Sam.