Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Iron Crisis (IC)

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock
    AC: 14 HP: 16/16
    PP: 9 PIv: 14 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --

Waving as the two leave, Sam waits until they're out of earshot before saying to the others quietly, "Free potion. Score. Someone should probably make sure it's not poisoned." He liked to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that Xzar guy seemed in need of a therapist.

"Those really aren't people you want to work with," the imp's statement causes Sam some surprise and he looks over his shoulder - a bit obviously this time. He catches himself before he starts pointing out that's an odd thing to say. "Don't give me that look. People like you working with people like them is asking to be stabbed in the back. Tell her not to be stupid."

Well, Sam doesn't exactly disagree with most of that. He responds to Senna, "I'm not so sure we'd be better off with them than on our own... but this whole iron thing is news to me."

Around dinner time, they spot smoke from a fire nearby. "About the time somebody would be cooking their evening meal. Could be somebody camping?" Sam suggests.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 14/14
    PP: 13 PIv: 15 PIs: 11

"What a strange duo," Melian remarks to no one in particular as the travelers move away. "I tend to agree with Senna, knowing where these two are opens options to us and is valuable information. Even if it only tells where the knife is coming from."

She then faces her siblings, new information bringing a mystery to be solved. "Still, if what they say is true about this iron crisis we should eventually look into it. So much depends on iron that if this is a widespread thing, well... it could be really bad for the Sword Coast." She shrugs. "And we can't stand by and let bandits run amok, terrorizing good people."

As the sun lowers to the horizon and the group stops to discuss the spotted plume of smoke, Melian takes a long drink from her waterskin, weighing their options. "The Inn is our destination but I'd be loath to leave our flank or rear open to bandits," she says looking briefly in Aintas' direction - he's the smart one about tactics. "We'll have to make camp soon as the shadows lengthen anyway. If these are friends we can share a campsite; if not we can at least make a better choice as to where we stop."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    [snip]
    "Ah but the Friendly Arm you say? No, no, you don't want to go there. You should go south. With us! You all look very..." He passes his eyes over the group in an exaggerated assessment, "powerful. My comrade and I are investigating the iron crisis. Have you heard? Up and down the sword coast. Oh it's awful. So awful. Weapons and tools just falling apart in people's hands. Some of our colleagues are worried about who's behind it...and who's getting the blame. Might you accompany us? In payment for the potions that is."
    [/snip]
    Boom! Game Name spotted!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cigaw View Post
    Even if it only tells where the knife is coming from."
    Please don't talk about knives and that halfling in the same sentence. Senna shudders.

Quote Originally Posted by purepolarpanzer View Post
    Vyv and I could check out that smoke and hopefully not get caught. I'd want the rest of you to be within shouting distance though. She wiped at her forehead and took a pull from her water skin. But before we do that, can I speak to you Senna? Something weird happened, and... I'm not sure what to think.
    That is what I wanted to hear. But maybe we should just send Glyph to scout? Senna points out her cat familiar, before she hesitates. Something weird? Weirder than what we experienced today?
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-04 at 12:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas looks at the strange duo leave with an intimidating frown on his face. When they are away, he turns to the others, relaxing.

"Well, for my part, I am glad we met them. Now we know something we didn't, we have a potential contact in a strange place and we are better informed.

But we really should be thinking of camping somewhere. I have foraged for food, so we can have berries, wild onions with fried mushrooms and and a bit of hare broth. But I would rather scout the fire first. If they are friendly, then there is safety in numbers. If they are hostile, we should know.

I say we do the following: Vyv and Cayle can scout a bit. I will be right behind you, say 60 ft back. Go and take a look. If you see something dangerous, come back. If trouble follows you, I will contain it until the rest of you come.

Otherwise, we can go and politely ask them to share their fire. Unleash Sam's charm on them. Everyone agrees?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 13

"I was about to say...." Vyvian notes as Sam remarks about the dubious nature of the potions.

"Oh sure, just replace me with a cat. I see how it is." she replies to Senna's suggestion with a mock scowl, clearly joking and not actually objecting to sending in the cat to scout.

"Some hare sounds delicious brother." Vyvian replies to Aintas while looking pointedly at Kess. She gives a general nod at the plan.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-04 at 01:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Senna sends her cat, pointing at the fire. Just follow the smoke, Glyph.

A good minute after Glyph is gone, Senna sits down. I'm concentrating on Glyph's senses now. I will be able to see what she sees, but my body will be blind in the meantime.

Spoiler
    Show
    Glyph Stealth (1d20+4)[8]
    Perception (1d20+3)[18]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

Caelee sighs. She'd heard a thousand of the cook the rabbit jokes over the years, and she knew that she'd hear a thousand more before their time together came to an end. She gives Vyvian a weary glare before letting Tal Kess out of his bag and allowing him some freedom to run around. Then Caelee speaks with Senna before she extends her senses to her familiar, if possible, and before going out to scout. The conversation happens openly, so anyone can hear or contribute their ideas.

I was... thinking about father. Next to a dead tree that had been struck by lightning. And... I thought about how nature can renew and reclaim through natural fires. Destruction, but for the good of the world, you know? Then I said something about it in Druidic, and the tree burst into flame. An elemental... or I think in hindsight it was an elemental, came out of the fire and approached me. But then I told it to go away and it disappeared like WHOOOSH! She gestures with her arms through this conversation, speaking with her hands as much as her words. And ever since I've felt really... warm. Almost like I have a low fever, but no other symptoms. It makes me feel... good. Kinda... powerful? And relaxed. But mostly like I'm standing in front of the main hearth and Candlekeep during high summer.
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #98

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian rests her back against a tree while Senna's familiar reconnoiters. Hmmm, I may need to summon one for myself.

She listens in on Caelyn's account of her experience in the woods with obvious interest. She hesitates jumping in the conversation since Senna was the one asked, but ultimately she can't help herself. There are too many theories to explore!

"While I can't speak with any actual expertise," she begins in a soft voice, "it seems like you may have called upon your ties to Nature in a moment of distress and it answered you. You have always had a deep connection to the natural world as an Elf and as a Druid and I would postulate what happened was akin to how a mage may reach out to the Weave in a summoning or conjuring spell. The fact you were able to dismiss this creature - or elemental, whichever it may be, points to you having some control over it and the fact you have a feeling of well-being suggests the effect may be beneficial. Maybe. Even the Weave can be unpredictable and I find Nature to be more chaotic. Have you... tried bringing it forth again?"

Melian waits in obvious anticipation.
    Last edited by cigaw; 2020-04-04 at 06:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Overhearing Caelyn's story - overhear might be the wrong word, as she was making no attempts to hide it - Sam ponders if she's somehow bonded with this elemental. Similar to how he's become connected with the imp. "Maybe the elemental's tagging along inside you somehow?" he offers with a shrug of raised arms. "Are you hearing any voices? Er... do you even speak elemental?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Senna/Glyph
    Show

As Glyph crests the hill, she sees the source of the smoke - a small campfire with two tents alongside it. A horse is tied up to a nearby tree - it looks like it's on the border of a small patch of forest. Not expansive, but large enough to lose someone in. The smell of cooked meats fills the air and by the fire are two young human women. One, who is stirring the pot, is wearing leathers while the other has a chain shirt on. Weapons - bows and spears - sit nearby within reach. They appear to be engrossed in conversation, laughing and and don't look up to Glyph.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Senna tells Glyph to come back. The familiar decides otherwise and runs down, asking for scraps. Senna cuts her link with her familiar. Only two nice girls, probably wanderers.

She looks at Caelee. Well, for starters I would usually interpret this as a sign of your patron god. But Mielikki does not really reveal herself personally that often, she prefers fey creatures or animal messengers for these kinds of things. So my second guess would be your subconscious. Your anger towards Gorion's demise channeled into your druidic powers. Now, fire represents uncertainty. Both warmth and destruction hails from it. Lightning is different. If the thunder was missing, it might forebode a future loss. If there was thunder, and we just did not hear it, it is a lucky omen. You escaped a terrible fate. And we know you did.*

Senna rests for a moment on the ground, relaxing her eyes from her trance. Now, should we go and introduce ourselves to these wanderers? Even in the worst case, we are 6 to 2 of them. I feel Glyph** is already being a right diplomat for a few scraps of meat.

* I took this stuff from a dream interpretation book. Shows how good this vague stuff fits into any situation.
    ** For reference, Glyph is female, and quite amicable, likes attention.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Glyph
    Show
    As Glyph approaches, the woman stirring the pot of food finally spots him, breaking off whatever conversation they were having before to point him out. "Lyn, look."
    "Cute cat. Looks a bit healthy to be wandering around though." Lyn's accent was a bit odd - almost sounding like a cross of nobility and urchin. It was hard to tell if it was natural or affected. Neither made any particular move towards their weapons. Lyn didn't even shift beyond turning her head to look at Glyph with mild, but ultimately disinterested surprised.
    "Oh sure but people lose cats all the time. Probably ran off from a merchant caravan or something. Here." She picked up what remained of a bird that was next to the pot and tossed it to Glyph. It was plucked and mostly stripped of meat, but there were bits and pieces left on the bones. "Eat up."

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelynn

Listening to each of her family in turn, Caelyn frowns and thinks. No, I'm not hearing voices in my head. She says to Sam. Then to Senna I think your symbology might have a point. Those feelings I had... I think they might have expressed through my druid connection... And finally to Melian Oh... well when you put it that way, maybe I should try again... Caelee frowns, then takes a few steps away from her family. Raising her hands in the air, she tried to summon the same gravity and solemnity that she had in the moment of her first summoning. Try as she might, she can't. So instead, she tries to whisper the same words she said before.
    Spoiler: Druidic
    Show
    This tree needs fire to cleanse it.

Upon uttering the druidic words, there is a roar of flame and the spirit of wildfire appears twenty feet away in a surge of flame that consumes all the grass, sticks, and leaves in a ten foot radius. Caelee's hands drip with flames that fall from her hands like water, dissipating before they hit the ground. Now that she is expecting it, she smiles at the spirit's return, and begins laughing at the licks and tickles of the flames that dance in her hands. Eventually the flood of fire from her hands ceases, but the spirit remains, floating before them all, awaiting commands. She approaches it, the heat inside her finding its match in the heat coming from the spirit.

Uh... hello? Did I summon you? Do you like... follow my commands now? The spirit didn't respond. Could you... turn a circle in place and do a little dance for me? The spirit slowly floated in a circle, legs flexing and reaching towards the ground. Caelee gave an excited squeal. I did it, Melian, I did it! She turned back to the spirit and clasped her hands together. Will you follow me and help me and my family walk our path in this world? The spirit approached her and took a place by her side, small flames licking up behind it as it floats. She turns back to her brothers and sisters with a large grin on her face. Mielikki smiles on me!
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-05 at 10:29 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #104

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Watching with a slouch, thumbs hooked into his belt, Sam stands up a little straighter in surprise when the elemental spirit appears. "Wow, you weren't kidding. It's like a little walking campfire." Approaching the new member of their group carefully, he holds a hand out towards it to see how hot the flames are.

"We might spook the new company a little with this fella," he points out with a laugh in his voice. "But we might as well say hello. Maybe they know something, or saw those guys who attacked us." Drawing back his hand, Sam starts meandering in the direction of the bonfire smoke.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10

Vyvian watches Caelyn turn her anger into a weird fire monster after everyone else made magical mumbo jumbo excuses for why Caelyn could do it. Seeing it, to her it was perfectly obvious. Caelyn was a druid. What's a druid's manifestation of anger? Fire of course. Creepy fire-plant-bug specifically apparently.

Vyvian nods in agreement with Sam and says, "Sam's got a point." and then walks off with him.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Aintas stays silent and in rapt attention as his siblings discuss things he never really understood. Yesterday, he thought that it was ... normal for Caylee to bring to life the elements and said nothing, to hide his anxiety. Now, he understands that she was not so sure herself. Sliding next to Melian, he says in a whisper "I thought that was normal for magic...ers."

When the report of the camp comes, Aintas sights with relief. This is something he understands.

"Let's follow Sam. Let's make a reasonable and non-threatening amount of noise, so that we don't startle our hosts. And gang, let's try and be more discrete with our information, yes?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

But how should they know about their lord and saviour, Lord Deneir? Senna jokes at Aintas.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-04-05 at 01:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

As you approach, the woman stirring the pot drops her spoon and hovers a hand over a bow nearby. The other woman shifts and takes hold of a spear, though keeps it low on the ground for now. While you're still a ways off she calls out "Hey, you gonna attack us?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #109

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian watches closely as Caelyn summons the elemental, obviously caught up in her sister's excitement. "Absolutely fascinating!" she exclaims, coming near the spirit for a closer look. "You sure did, Caelyn! Looks like it is bound to you, much like a familiar. Can it understand all of us or is it bound only to you? Does it have a name?"

She then steps back while the others look at the creature, finding herself near Aintas. "Well brother, my magic and Caelyn's are very different. You can certainly just take this at face value - a druid summoned a spirit ally, fiery as it is - and leave it at that since it's fairly normal to druids. Or you can dig deeper to try and get to the why. For better or worse, a wizard usually needs to get to the why," she ways with a little wink.

The wizard then nods agreement at Aintas, Sam and Vyvian, chuckling lightly at Senna's comment. She then falls behind once again, taking the rear in the formation.

20. - Top - End - #110

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Striding casually into the open near the ladies' campsite, Sam stops when she reaches for her bow. He raises his hands, palms out to show he's not holding any weapons. "Not unless you shoot me," he answers jokingly. "Howdy there, I'm Sam. We were just looking for a place to set up camp for the evening - mind if we share the fire?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-04-05 at 02:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Pot Stirrer glances at her companion, who regards you for a moment but ultimately nods. They both drop back into relaxed positions. "It's a free country." "Or at least it should be. I'm Lyn. This is Im. You got any food along with your names?" If they had any surprise at your colourful cast of characters, they didn't show it at all.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Senna awkwardly shuffles in front of the others. I'm Senna, glyphscribe of Deneir. You need not fear us. We are just travelling north. We saw your campfire, were curious and wanted to introduce ourselves.

She points out her siblings.
    This is Sam. He looks scary, but isn't. This is Vyv. She looks innocent but is actually not. Caelyn, Aintas and Melian. We do not have much food on us, but we might be able to share to get a small buffet going? Senna shows simple cheese, bread and some dried fruit. Not exactly a cheese platter with some wine, but it might suffice. Senna calls Glyph to her person. And sorry, I spied on you a bit with my little friend here. She strokes the cat. So where are you headed?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

"No worries about the cat - but not everyone's as nice as us. We'll take whatever we can get. Stew's pretty boring with just meat and water."
    "I'm doing my best!" Im pouted.
    "Hey, hey, no knock on you, but it's been bird stew the last three...no, four nights?" Lyn was conciliatory, though it was clear neither of them were very serious. The atmosphere around them was relaxed. Any tension from your walkup had dissipated entirely.
    "We came out here on a tip that there were merchants going through Cloakwood but it was a bust. Nothing but crazy druids and dragons." "Wyverns." Right. Wyverns. So we're probably going to head back to the main roads and see if we can't find a score or two there, make up for lost time."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn

After some experimentation Caelee realizes that the spirit understands every language that she does, and it responds amiably to requests from her family, if not commands. It follows her instructions to the letter, however, due to the bonding flame that burns within her. She excitedly experiments to find these results with Melian on their way to the fire Senna had scouted with her familiar.

Much relieved by the seeming sense of decency shown by these two travelers, Caelee and her spirit take a spot close to the fire to sit down and relax. From her personal supplies she brings out wrapped leather packets of dried fruit and meat and adds it to the growing pile of vittles her family is assembling. Upon the mentioning of more druids, her eyes light up. Druids? Like me? I've never met another druid before! Did they have big, carved staffs that told stories of their travels? Caelee's own staff, still naked and unmarked, was a project she intended to pick up the next time they camped, keeping with an old druid tradition that she read about in a book. She grinned with glee and held her hands to her mouth. And wyverns! I've read about those! Not quite dragons, but still fascinating creatures! All at once she is overwhelmed by curiosity and excitement, reaching into her hip bag to pet Kess. Aintas, can we travel to this Cloakwood? I want to meet other druids and see if everything I've read about them is true! Maybe they'd invite me into their Circle! She gives him a pleading look that resembles the one she gave Gorion a few years ago that resulted in him giving her Kess. The spirit's flames grow brighter almost as if it shared her excitement.

Show
    Insight roll on the words of our new friends. Looking for a "score" makes them sound an awful lot like bandits. (1d20+5)[7] EDIT- Nope, apparently Caelee is way too excited about druids and wyverns to be concerned about the new company they find themselves in.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-04-05 at 05:06 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Vyvian Just
    Half-Elf Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 17/17

"What kind of way to introduce me to strangers is that?" Vyvian whisper/hisses at Senna while nudging her in the ribs with an elbow.

She tries the thieves' cant greeting she used on the pair before on this one, as they're talking about trying to find merchants and scores.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-04-05 at 05:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian stays silent through the introductions. She leans close to Aintas, pitching her voice low. "These two talk openly about seeking out merchants as a score; I don't like this, brother."

She meanders around the camp, discreetly looking for indications of who these two may be.

Show
    Whole buncha rolls!

Perception: (1d20+3)[17]
    Investigation: (1d20+5)[13]
    Insight: (1d20+1)[18]

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, wyverns you say. Did you actually meet some of them? Senna laughs nervously, looking at the others. Or druids for that matter. Caelee is always interested in stories about nature. Senna shuffles nervously towards Aintas.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"We met the druids, only spotted wyverns from far off. Either way I wouldn't recommend it. Those druids were fifty cards short of a deck. They'd sooner skin you than make friends. Kept talking about 'nature reclaiming the world' and stuff. Your magical girl," Lyn motions at Melian and her spellbook, "they're the sort they'd string up for fun. If you're lucky you'd die before the wyverns ate you."
    Im, meanwhile, responds to the Thieves Cant greeting with one of her own. It's quick and practiced, almost gone before you know it. "You guys don't look like Blacktalons or Chill." She tugs out from her pack two wooden, well worn bowls and fills them for her and Lyn, before holding out her hand for the party's. "Where you headed? Aside from hopefully not into the forest." She asks with a smile.

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    They're not lying, you can tell that much. Their relaxed demeanour appears to be entirely genuine and you can't detect any indication of untoward plans.
    You can't spot anything amiss with the camp. There's no sign of anyone else who may be there now or previously. It looks to be just the two of them, and the horse. There aren't any insignias or sigils that indicate an affiliation. Just plain tents.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #119

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock

Taking a seat next to the fire with the two travelers, Sam isn't bothered by their admittance of looking for merchants or a score. He probably should be, but unlike the last two they met these two don't seem mad or violent. He figures they're like Vyv - thieves of some kind.

Sam digs through his poorly organized, stuffed together pack, a few odds and ends spilling onto the ground. It's obvious he packed it in a hurry - or at least without any care. Eventually he fishes out a bowl - it used to be the facewashing basin in his room, but it would do. He turns it over to Im. "Just the inn up the road. Meeting family." With a cheeky grin, he jerks a thumb back at the others and stage-whispers, "Don't tell them, but they're adopted."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Aintas

Once more, Aintas finds himself out of his depth. These are apparently thieves, and Father had very strong feelings on them. On the other hand, isn't it better to know where the thieves are? He whispers to Melian

"Better the devil we know, then?"

Aintas sits at a spot where he would see both his hosts and the direction of the road and makes comfortable.

As he tries to take the situation in, he smakes small talk

"We met some other people on the road. Do you know about the Iron Crisis?

By the way, we have these berries and these hares to share."

Show
    Insight (1d20+4)[10] Perception (1d20+4)[9]